• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Picard | Teaser Trailer (NYCC 2022)

I'm not hyped but I feel they owe us a decent season after all the drek theyve been shoving out in recent years. The only good thing I can say about season 2 of picard is it wasnt as bad as season 3 of discovery. Cant Comment on season 4 of that yet as I've still not forced myself to watch all of it.

Supple

Banned
I hope they got new showrunners and writers for season 3 and give us Strange New Worlds levels of quality.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Trying to be cautiously excited given these reviews so far, hopefully we can just forget the first two seasons and act like this is the true sequel for the TNG crew

Kenpachii

I literally couldn't finish the first season. Should I? Is 2nd Season good?

Seems like the 3rd season we are finally getting what we fans wanted from this show.

First one was horrible, second one was a bit better but still complete shit. So yea even if this is good, it would have been better to release it under a new star trek name entirely. Because honestly most people will probably not even bother with it because of the horrible first 2 seasons.

Thaedolus

Gold Member

Seems like the 3rd season we are finally getting what we fans wanted from this show.
The first season was basically the plot of Mass Effect and the second season was just about as awful as possible…I still watched it because I’m a sucker for TNG but good lord, neither was good. Still, I knew I’d be back for the whole crew returning and these reviews give me hope I won’t be hate watching this time

Power Pro

If they were really confident in it's quality, they would give Mike and Rich from RedLetterMedia early access. They're the only ones I would trust if they gave it a thumbs up that would make me be willing to give this a chance. I have hated nutrek so much that it's legit made me depressed because classic star trek means so much to me.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
If they were really confident in it's quality, they would give Mike and Rich from RedLetterMedia early access. They're the only ones I would trust if they gave it a thumbs up that would make me be willing to give this a chance. I have hated nutrek so much that it's legit made me depressed because classic star trek means so much to me.
Those guys are so sad and jaded about nutrek I dunno if I’d want that tbh. Even though I don’t think they’re wrong, their Season 2 Picard reviews were really sad to watch…just old die hard fans coming to terms with their favorite show being dead…

Power Pro

Those guys are so sad and jaded about nutrek I dunno if I’d want that tbh. Even though I don’t think they’re wrong, their Season 2 Picard reviews were really sad to watch…just old die hard fans coming to terms with their favorite show being dead…
That's kind of my point, I am very much like them, especially Mike, in how I have felt about Star Trek. I feel like the same level of Star Trek nerd that he's always been. I loved his reviews of the TNG movies, because they were pretty much spot on with how I felt about those movies all along.

xandaca

'The promise of this trailer' that I see is more violence, more exhausted clichés ('Trust no-one', 'Fight or die', 'All-consuming darkness', etc), another recycled plot, more insistence that Trek was always about blowing stuff up rather than exploration, curiosity and ethics, Stewart still not knowing who Picard is or how to play him... forgive me if I completely ignore the effusive positivity of people given early access to the show when every piece of crap gets the same juvenile celebratory buzzword soup ('emotional real estate', seriously) from critics before release. Rise Of Skywalker very prominently springs to mind.

ManaByte

Gold Member
RMB hates NuTrek more than anyone and he’s watched the season three times. And Paramount hates him (the showrunner gave him access).

xandaca

So the biggest NuTrek hater (who was involved in the CBS Lawsuit against FANS) is lying?
I don't know who he is. What I do know is that I've seen this kind of pre-emptive critical adoration for all sorts of crap in the past, and there's nothing in the trailer which suggests a change of course from the mistakes of the past two seasons. I may be completely wrong, and have enjoyed Lower Decks and (to a lesser degree) Strange New Worlds, but to me the currently available evidence does not point in a positive direction.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
The beginning of the trailer is remember all the good stuff foreshadowing. The Counselor troi fires a blaster and we all know she can’t fight.

Then it’s explosions and crap. And what I really want is Darmuk when the walls fell.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I don't know who he is. What I do know is that I've seen this kind of pre-emptive critical adoration for all sorts of crap in the past, and there's nothing in the trailer which suggests a change of course from the mistakes of the past two seasons. I may be completely wrong, and have enjoyed Lower Decks and (to a lesser degree) Strange New Worlds, but to me the currently available evidence does not point in a positive direction.
Robert Meyer Burnett directed that Star Trek version of Swingers called Free Enterprise and produced all of the special features on the Trek Blu-Rays. Prior to NuTrek he was involved with a fan film called Axanar, which CBS sued to shut down due to it having the same story as DISCO S1. As such he has railed against NuTrek ever since and trashed EVERYTHING including both seasons of Picard. Paramount hates him and even has him blocked on Twitter.

S3 of Picard has a new showrunner in the guy who did 12 Monkeys on SciFi (who got his start on Voyager). He gave RMB the whole season without Paramount knowing and RMB loves it so much he’s watched it three times.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

Just start with the 3rd season. I've watched both previous seasons so far. 2 is better than 1 but I'm one of the few who liked 2... I don't know if YOU will. But safer bet is for you to wait for 3.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Just start with the 3rd season. I've watched both previous seasons so far. 2 is better than 1 but I'm one of the few who liked 2... I don't know if YOU will. But safer bet is for you to wait for 3.
After the first episode of S2, I also skipped the entire season. Goddamn Raff and the bulbous forehead girl with all the quips. Goddamn those characters. Anyway, will be giving S3 a try off the back of this positivity.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Hmm. I wonder if they’re uploading Data’s memory engrams to Lore?
4wVpNGe.jpg

Power Pro

Part of me is still convinced that the showrunners of Picard and Discovery never actually saw what this series is based on, but rather went on YouTube, and saw all the parody recuts like this one, and thought that that's what the story and characters were really like.

Last edited:

Tams

Urggh, am I going to have to slog through the rest of season two?

I gave up pretty early on where

the dumb blonde is left alone with the Borg queen on the crashed ship

I managed to get through season one when it released, but season two was boring and looked cheap too.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Part of me is still convinced that the showrunners of Picard and Discovery never actually saw what this series is based on, but rather went on YouTube, and saw all the parody recuts like this one, and thought that that's what the story and characters were really like.

The S3 showrunner got his start on Voyager before making the 12 Monkeys show.

Urggh, am I going to have to slog through the rest of season two?

I gave up pretty early on where

the dumb blonde is left alone with the Borg queen on the crashed ship

I managed to get through season one when it released, but season two was boring and looked cheap too.

No

Thaedolus

Gold Member
After the first episode of S2, I also skipped the entire season. Goddamn Raff and the bulbous forehead girl with all the quips. Goddamn those characters. Anyway, will be giving S3 a try off the back of this positivity.
Now now, don’t leave out the retarded dude with the cringe accent and cigar routine inexplicably now the captain of Stargazer

Power Pro

The S3 showrunner got his start on Voyager before making the 12 Monkeys show.

No
Voyager is not exactly peak Star Trek to me either, so name dropping it doesn't inspire me with any confidence. It was better than the dumpster fire shows out today, but I still think that period was the beginning of the end for Star Trek. Voyager had some good episodes here and there, so I'll give it a pass sometimes, but then we got absolute dog shit episodes like Threshold which seemed like they were written by a complete moron. Or episodes like Tuvik that just emphasizing how fucking up her own ass, mightier than thou Janeway was. Picard in TNG show would never have done that shit, movie Picard probably would have though.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Voyager is not exactly peak Star Trek to me either, so name dropping it doesn't inspire me with any confidence. It was better than the dumpster fire shows out today, but I still think that period was the beginning of the end for Star Trek. Voyager had some good episodes here and there, so I'll give it a pass sometimes, but then we got absolute dog shit episodes like Threshold which seemed like they were written by a complete moron. Or episodes like Tuvik that just emphasizing how fucking up her own ass, mightier than thou Janeway was. Picard in TNG show would never have done that shit, movie Picard probably would have though.
He even brought back crew members who are still around and worked on TNG.

Chozoldman

Banned
Immediately suspicious of any new media that is hyped to the point where grown adult humans are "wiping away tears". It's just so hyperbolic, it's hard to take seriously.

I would love to see some decent Trek, but also...why decimate the brand and characters so completely just to give "fans what they want" for the last season?

Sorry, not buying any of this hype until the show is out...even then. Fool me once, shame on you...fool me half a dozen times, get fucked.

Last edited:
The most amazing season of STAR TREK EVER!!!! The BEST SEASON SINCE DS9!!! (wait a second there wasn't a legitimately great season of Star Trek since DS9 S6 IMHO)

TWITTER PEOPLE WHO ARE VERY VERY IMPORTANT, EVEN IF YOU DON'T KNOW OR CARE WHO THEY ARE, REALLY LIKE IT!!!

Still, the trailer was just okay. And many people have made amazing looking trailers for products that end up being total piles of shit.

I hope it's great. If it's not, I hope it's absolutely terrible. Anything in between just isn't fun at this point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom