• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Picard S2 Premieres March 3, Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (Pike's show) Premieres May 5th

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
So is Spiner playing a Soong ancestor in 2024?

Soong had an estranged biological son, according to the ret-conn from last season of Picard, which was clearly just inteded to give Brent Spiner something to do.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Soong had an estranged biological son, according to the ret-conn from last season of Picard, which was clearly just inteded to give Brent Spiner something to do.

Yes, but this stuff in the trailer shows Q meeting with a character Spiner plays in 2024.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Star Trek Picard made me regret ever becoming a Star Trek fan. The amount of heartbreak and depression that show gave me is second only to Doctor Who.

I don‘t wish to cry about what has become of my childhood shows anymore.
I'm still in denial about Dr who. The only way to save it in my mind is get the old writers back and worm Tennant back in somehow. Never going to happen..

Thats it. Otherwise, it's dead to me (The new ones, anyway)

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I'm still in denial about Dr who. The only way to save it in my mind is get the old writers back and worm Tennant back in somehow. Never going to happen..

Star Trek post-Oddessy feels a lot like Docto Who, incidentally--much more so than any of it feels like prior Star Trek. There's constant use of: world-ending, universe spanning dilemmas; single individuals who are the chosen one, who somehow are the key to all of the timeline; hyper-emotionalism all over everything; an absolutely unhinged use of scifi fantasy tropes all over the place, with no desire for plausibility; etc. I could go on.

Doctor Who has been emotional space-fantasy for a long time, with ridiculous overarching plots that barely hold together but no one cares so long as you elevate the Doctor's relationships to the point where his current companion girl is somehow the important person in the universe (remember Clara being one person dispersed through countless lives across history, who holds the key to the resolution of many timelines converging on the Doctor?).

Maybe that can be Who's genre, but it coudn't be more of a contradiction to try and play that sappy fantasy nonsense all over Trek, which was always centered on characters sitting around tables solving dilemmas, moral quandries, etc. It was once a show for intelligent people. Not even close now; the plot doesn't even hold up to scrutiny, it's just a giant spectacle.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Star Trek post-Oddessy feels a lot like Docto Who, incidentally--much more so than any of it feels like prior Star Trek. There's constant use of: world-ending, universe spanning dilemmas; single individuals who are the chosen one, who somehow are the key to all of the timeline; hyper-emotionalism all over everything; an absolutely unhinged use of scifi fantasy tropes all over the place, with no desire for plausibility; etc. I could go on.

DISCO S4 is yet another galaxy-ending threat, BUT the showrunners this year were huge DS9 fans and their "fuck the Federation" scientist character reminds me A LOT of a character who would be in DS9...so I'm liking this season for that.

Star Trek Picard made me regret ever becoming a Star Trek fan. The amount of heartbreak and depression that show gave me is second only to Doctor Who.

I don‘t wish to cry about what has become of my childhood shows anymore.

So basically like some Star Wars fans, or fans of....

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
So they're making 6 different Star Trek shows because they're pulling numbers right?

I stopped watching Discovery after that Tardigrade episode in S1. I assumed the show wouldn't last. Now they're spawning like Tribbles. What gives?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
So they're making 6 different Star Trek shows because they're pulling numbers right?

I stopped watching Discovery after that Tardigrade episode in S1. I assumed the show wouldn't last. Now they're spawning like Tribbles. What gives?

Because people other than you like it?

Season 3 and 4 are pretty solid. Never saw the first 2 seasons... Well, as couple episodes of 2 but that's it.

Lower Decks is funny AF...

Haven't seen the other animated show yet.

They're almost universally disliked by Trekkies, but they need content to justify the existence of Paramount+ so they're going to continue shitting them out despite the reception.

Pagusas

Elden Member

…you realize that’s exactly what they’ve done? RTD has been brought back to fix and restore the series, and rumors are David Tennant will be back for a limited time as either the 14th or a in between role.

Wildebeest

The one thing I liked about Picard was how it confronted the militaristic police state wank that had crept into Trek over the years. Star Trek was always a show about repressed homosexuality, first and foremost.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The one thing I liked about Picard was how it confronted the militaristic police state wank that had crept into Trek over the years. Star Trek was always a show about repressed homosexuality, first and foremost.
Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
…you realize that’s exactly what they’ve done? RTD has been brought back to fix and restore the series, and rumors are David Tennant will be back for a limited time as either the 14th or a in between role.
Nope, not realised that at all, but wouldnt have either considering I have interest in other venues of media these days

But this news, is good news. At least there is some hope (y)

dr_octagon

Banned
It's going to end with Janeway sent by Admiral Braxton of the USS Relativity to fix everything. She forgets the code for the spacetime bomb and cannot say 'tempus fugit' to end the show.

Geordi appears from a mirror dimension who captures everyone. The cliffhanger is Space Numerberg trials. The Doctor, Harry Kim are Wesley are the judges.

Part 2 of the finale ends with B4 singing blue skies while the firing squad carry out their sentence on every white character.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
I enjoyed Picard, was much better than discovery, I gave up on discovery after 3 episodes, I really wanted to like it, but sadly couldn't get into it.

Looking forward to season 2, and hopefully whatever this strange new worlds is, hopefully that is decent too.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I enjoyed Picard, was much better than discovery, I gave up on discovery after 3 episodes, I really wanted to like it, but sadly couldn't get into it.

DISCO S1 is the most garbage piece of shit Star Trek ever. It's worse than Into Darkness and Nemesis. It does get a little better when they get into the Mirror Universe though.

S2 is good with Pike.

S3 is off the rails woke with one good episode.

S4 is good so far.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Season 2, with Pike, is the best season. 3 went off the woke rails, but Unification III was great. 4 is closer to Season 2 so far though and that's a good sign.

What was "woke" about season 3?

I only remember broadly about the Emerald Chain and everyone getting to the future ... Oh! And Book and the Burn.

clem84

Gold Member
I just found the ending of Disco season 2 so nonsensical.

The "virus" was on Discovery and they somehow couldn't get rid of it. Couldn't wipe the systems/computers, which I thought made no sense and was a really dumb idea. They try to destroy the ship and the ship won't let itself be destroyed by always having his shields up. Why couldn't they fire again? Are we supposed to believe Starfleet ships now have infinite shields and are now indestructible? Yeah ok...

ManaByte

Gold Member
Ah. It didn't bother me. I found it interesting. I can see how some can be bothered by it, though.

It's not as bad in S4. The two characters are allowed to just be their characters and not some kind of statement like they were in S3. I also love David Cronenberg's character and there's A LOT more of him in Season 4. They need to make him a regular.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I think these shows exist mainly to drive subs to Paramount+. They don't even air on terrestrial TV do they?
CBS ran an episode or two of DISCO S1 to promote CBS All Access (what it was called back then) but that stopped when the F-bombs and Klingon sex scenes with alien tits started.

PaNaMa

Banned
Star Trek has gone to complete and total shit, but I'll give Pike a chance because I'm a fucking idiot.

From the little of him we've seen, Anson Mount plays Pike with a good balance of character swagger, while still demonstrating respect for the position and source material. He's likeable and charismatic, can be funny but doesn't make a joke out of everything. Nor is he over the top melodramatic. He carries himself and behaves in a manner I think most closely approximates how fans would expect a StarTrek Captain to - which is a departure from everything else we've seen in Kurtzman era. I'll give it a chance, but if it starts hitting me over the fucking head with pronouns and woke agenda endlessly over and over ,or if we get these idiotic ditzy incompetent unbelievable characters who would never be in Starfleet to begin with... it will be a short ride.

ManaByte

Gold Member
From the little of him we've seen, Anson Mount plays Pike with a good balance of character swagger, while still demonstrating respect for the position and source material. He's likeable and charismatic, can be funny but doesn't make a joke out of everything. Nor is he over the top melodramatic. He carries himself and behaves in a manner I think most closely approximates how fans would expect a StarTrek Captain to - which is a departure from everything else we've seen in Kurtzman era. I'll give it a chance, but if it starts hitting me over the fucking head with pronouns and woke agenda endlessly over and over ,or if we get these idiotic ditzy incompetent unbelievable characters who would never be in Starfleet to begin with... it will be a short ride.
He’s the best Pike of all of them.

zeorhymer

It's all about the writers. You can have the hottest actor headlining, but if the writing is terrible, nothing will save the show/movie. Just look at what happened with the Witcher 2nd season.

I gave up on Discovery. Well done Kurtzman, you've made a Trek that's so bad that a die hard Trekker whose seen every episode of the old Treks 2-3 times over finds it unwatchable.

Star Trek GIF

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
S2 started.

First episode is much more of a Star Trek show than all of S1 was.

I like the new Stargazer but don't get why they gave it a new registry number instead of using the original and adding an -A after it.

Guinan is barely in it.

They do explain why Q is old:
He first shows up de-aged looking like he did in TNG, but when he sees how old Picard is he changes his age to match him.

S2 has a different showrunner than S1 and the guy's a massive TNG fanboy. Picard's study is FILLED with stuff referencing his career as Captain, like the Tamarian knife from Darmok and the original Galaxy Class painting from his ready room.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
They do explain why Q is old:

I love how much time we now have to spend explaining everyone's apparent age when they show up.

Guinan - why are you suddenly so old when your race lives from many centuries and you hadn't aged a day from Mark Twain's day to the events of TNG?
Q - aren't you immortal?
Picard - as much as the audience would like to forget, you're just an adroid facsimile now, so why the hell does your android body still show so much fatigue and cognitive decline?

ManaByte

Gold Member
I love how much time we now have to spend explaining everyone's apparent age when they show up.

Guinan - why are you suddenly so old when your race lives from many centuries and you hadn't aged a day from Mark Twain's day to the events of TNG?
Q - aren't you immortal?
Picard - as much as the audience would like to forget, you're just an adroid facsimile now, so why the hell does your android body still show so much fatigue and cognitive decline?

If only Brent Spiner knew in 2002 that someday they could just CGI de-age you, his excuse for killing Data off in the dumbest way possible would disappear.

Nico_D

Season 1 was mostly pretty bad (started alright and had it's moments moving forward), especially the ending. Will watch season 2 a bit.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

Q - aren't you immortal?

The rationale for the synthetic body being the same as the human one was done to not put the trouble on Picard of getting used to a new body, which is really silly.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Season 1 was mostly pretty bad (started alright and had it's moments moving forward), especially the ending. Will watch season 2 a bit.

The characters in S1 were fine, but not being on a Starfleet ship kind of hurt the season. Rios is now the Captain of the new Stargazer, and they're all back in Starfleet (Picard is running Starfleet Academy).

Nico_D

The characters in S1 were fine

Indeed they were. My biggest problem was that it a bit too much of an "just another scifi show" and didn't have the footprint of Star Trek. They tried to install it by putting in a ton of nostalgia with a Borg ship and the old crew, Dr. Soong etc. but it didn't really come together. Worst yet, the build up to a big ending was watered and the gate just closed. Kind of bad writing. But the setup was really, really good. Shame it didn't pay off.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Hope yall enjoy it. Discovery S1 was enough to make me sign off until entirely new people get their hands on the show. Just like the New Star Wars, I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt with each release any more. What they have become, just not for me.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I hated the S1 characters, with a passion. No hyperbole to call them the worst in Star Trek's long history.

- girl who talks about going into space for the first time, like this is something new to her the way it would be to us--but she's supposed to be a high-level researcher in artificial intelligence. According to the world of TNG-era, she absolutely would have regularly traveled in space to conferences and events if she was in that field. Why do the writers of this show seem so confused about the nature of life in the TNG/DS9/VOY universe? Not to mention that she's given a pass on a murder as if nothing happened

- 7 of 9, never a great character to begin with. Why revive a shitty character brought on halfway through Voyager for sex appeal to help its ratings? Not to mention, she's a complete psychopath now, violent and frankly disgusting

- Mr. I'm-a-Roguish captain dude, whose first scene in the most unintentionally comedic bit of bad writing I've seen in years. To recap: shirtless and manly, he downs some hard liquor before manually removing a piece of shrapnel from his shoulder, while spouting off some kind of rouge-ish Han-Solo-wannabe lines that sounds like they were written by a kid playing a badass character in DnD

- Picard's dear old friend raffiki, who we are told is a dear old friend and who calls him "JL" so that we can know she must be a friend. This doesn't fit his personality at all, nor his friendship patterns in terms of their relationship. It's so obviously weird and incongruent, and then they randomly shove in some story about her son which does nothing but try to get sympathy

- Ninja boy who will "bind his sword to Picard's quest." What the hell is this, and who mixed fantasy tropes into Star Trek? Once again, his relationship with Picard is forced and inauthentic

Last edited:

JayK47

I guess I need to get Paramount+ at some point. Not sure if I even have time to watch this stuff though.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Hope yall enjoy it. Discovery S1 was enough to make me sign off until entirely new people get their hands on the show. Just like the New Star Wars, I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt with each release any more. What they have become, just not for me.
The first episode of S2 is probably the best Star Trek episode of the new stuff so far. It feels like a continuation of TNG. Reminded me of one of the movies, but not dogshit Nemesis.

I like the new Stargazer but don't get why they gave it a new registry number instead of using the original and adding an -A after it.

The ships that get a suffix are those ships that really did some impressive stuff in its life that earned the right to be remembered. For what it was that particular ship for what it went through was not enough.

The reason the Defiant never got this was because of the reuse of many CGI effects that clearly displayed the hull registry and it would be too expensive to redo or create new CGI despite the new one/replacement once being USS Sao Paulo so it was a savings measure.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Haven't caught up on Picard yet but Lower Decks was way way better than I thought it was going to be. Glad there is more.

It's hilarious! And I didn't know but it's based on the episode "Lower Decks" from TNG. I have to watch it again soon

Top Bottom