• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek (January 2017 TV Series) News and Speculation Thread of Boldly Streaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlclmtckr

Banned
To be fair, it starts getting good in Season 3 and then gets really good when Worf shows up, but S1 and S2 are still good TV.

I'm working my way through Season 1 right now, on Netflix. I really like the writing but the costumes - especially for aliens - are bugging me. I wish they'd stuck with the TOS-style alien makeup so the actors could still actually act.

Sephzilla

TNG-VYG-TOS-DS9-ENT Fact!

commandowrong.gif

TNG-DS9-ENT-TOS-VYG

Seriously, seasons 3 and 4 totally redeem Enterprise

Busty

Banned
I believe that Devin Faraci tweeted yesterday that the title for this show could be......,

Star Trek : Discovery.

....., I like it.

Walshicus

I think it's much more informative to rank the show/series combinations.

1) DS9 series 6
2) DS9 series 5
3) Enterprise series 4

etc.

Lol, what? When did this become fact? One of the best, as in just better than "Enterprise"(which is the worst).
Let's be honest, Enterprise was better than all of Voyager. And as above, series 4 of Enterprise was actually pretty great.

butalala

DS9's final episode is garbage. The final season, also ropey as hell. No way can it take the top prize. Sorry.

4/5 Star Trek series have lame final episodes. It's too bad that DS9 doesn't live up to All Good things, but then, not much else does.

butalala

Yeah, this. I haven't seen Enterprise yet, but I find it hard to believe that it is going to be worse than Voyager.

I've only seen all of ENT s4 and VOY through most of s3, plus random stuff on TV, but ENT is better than VOY based on that alone.

Based on my preference and not necesarily quality:
TNG-TOS-DS9-ENT-VOY

But based on quality, my list has TNG always at the top and VOY always at the bottom. I do love Picardo's Doctor, though. For me he's the sparkling diamond resting in a pile of shit.

I think the only thing he's directed that I've watched is the pilot episode of Heroes. Not enough for me to have an opinion, but I remember that the first season of Heroes was really good right from the start so hey, it's something.

RPGCrazied

We rating the series?

For me the best series is The Next Generation followed by Voyager. I really didn't like Deep Space Nine at all, though I didn't watch every season. Really didn't care for Enterprise or the older series.

DS9 doesn't get good until the buildup to the Dominion War starts in earnest. Voyager gets really good after the Kazon and Seska fuck off and die. Enterprise gets good with the Xindi arc and stays good until the final episode (I also loved the concept of the Temporal Cold War). TNG is hit or miss the entire way through, it doesn't have stretches of consistently good or bad episodes. TOS has a handful of fantastic episodes but most are '60s jank.

Walshicus

ENT S4 is a significant step up from the first 3 seasons so...

Series 3 of Enterprise was pretty good too. In fact, I'd say that at no point does Enterprise really stray into "bad" for too long, unlike Voyager which spent most of its life there... Though Series 1 and 2 do spend an awful lot of time in "mediocre".

TDLink

Series 3 of Enterprise was pretty good too. In fact, I'd say that at no point does Enterprise really stray into "bad" for too long, unlike Voyager which spent most of its life there... Though Series 1 and 2 do spend an awful lot of time in "mediocre".

Sometimes mediocre is worse than bad though. I think ENT's highs are definitely higher than VOY but the show kind of ended just as it was finally getting its groove. The first two seasons were a struggle to get through and just plain boring most of the time. Voyager had some pretty bad periods but it also wasn't uniformly bad. The truly bad stuff like the Warp 10 episode we can all laugh at and get something out of it. However, there are pretty great parts to Voyager as well, even if it's lesser than TNG and DS9.

DS9 doesn't get good until the buildup to the Dominion War starts in earnest. Voyager gets really good after the Kazon and Seska fuck off and die. Enterprise gets good with the Xindi arc and stays good until the final episode (I also loved the concept of the Temporal Cold War). TNG is hit or miss the entire way through, it doesn't have stretches of consistently good or bad episodes. TOS has a handful of fantastic episodes but most are '60s jank.

IMO Voyager never got "really good". I think the show totally had some great episodes but I dont think they ever had any longer story / character arcs I enjoyed. It could be great one week and trash the next. It never had a good flow.

TNG is kind of the same but outside of S1-2 I think its average episode was much better and it reached higher highs.

Enterprise is Enterprise. We know the story. Only really found a good balance right as it was being cancelled.

DS9 I think is a better show for todays viewing habits. Longer arcs. Actually character development. More mature subject matters. It has its rough patches for sure. It has its problems early on like every Trek show does but it got over them by late S2.

I just never liked TOS. Too campy for me. I totally see why the classic episodes are loved but I just dont really like the show that much.

TL:DR. If I was binging trek every night for a few months I would rewatch DS9. If I was binging trek for a weekend I would watch the best episodes of TNG.

The very best episode of DS9 hit in the very first season (Duet). It got better after the Dominion War starts getting real, but it started out very very good.

Archer

I just started watching DS9 for the first time, and despite the 90s set design, the plots are as fresh in today's world as a plot could be. I was too young to give a damn back in the 90s, but it's great to see it now.

Rosur

DS9 > VOY > ENT = TNG

Not seen all of the original series so not here and compared to most trek fans I quite like Enterprise (especially season 3), understand the hate though.

JdFoX187

Banned
DS9 > VOY > ENT = TNG

Not seen all of the original series so not here and compared to most trek fans I quite like Enterprise (especially season 3), understand the hate though.

I really enjoyed season 3 of Enterprise. It was actually much better than season 4, I thought, since they rushed through so much stuff to try to turn it into the prequel series that everyone thought it should be.

Meh, alright

DS9 > TNG > TOS > ENT >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> VOY

Voyager is straight up garbage. One of the worst shows I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom