• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek (January 2017 TV Series) News and Speculation Thread of Boldly Streaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Since today is the Star Trek Fan Event which shows the second trailer of Star Trek Beyond, is there any word that Bryan Fuller etc. would be there as well or share some information about the tv show?
The Teaser that was released this close to the fan event, makes me think that we would probably get something.

Boem

Since today is the Star Trek Fan Event which shows the second trailer of Star Trek Beyond, is there any word that Bryan Fuller etc. would be there as well or share some information about the tv show?
The Teaser that was released this close to the fan event, makes me think that we would probably get something.

That trailer was just released to get sponsors interested. Lots of upcoming shows (many if which aren't even close to shooting, like Star Trek) got short trailers made and released on the same day. It's just a thing networks do to show companies what's coming up in order to start negotiations for commercials/product placement etc. That's also why the trailer doesn't actually tell us anything at all about the new show. Even the special effects don't have to be indicative of what you're going to get in the full series - it could have just as well been made by a completely separate company. They just needed to get something out.

The fact that it was released this close to the Star Trek event is nothing more than coincidence.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
That trailer was just released to get sponsors interested. Lots of upcoming shows (many if which aren't even close to shooting, like Star Trek) got short trailers made and released on the same day. It's just a thing networks do to show companies what's coming up in order to start negotiations for commercials/product placement etc. That's also why the trailer doesn't actually tell us anything at all about the new show. Even the special effects don't have to be indicative of what you're going to get in the full series - it could have just as well been made by a completely separate company. They just needed to get something out.

The fact that it was released this close to the Star Trek event is nothing more than coincidence.

QRJRWiN.gif

Still, I hope we get some info nuggets.

Why would anyone expect another trailer? It hasn't been cast or begun filming yet.

The trailer is about the movie, not the tv show.

cntr

Banned
Enterprise had good moments messed up by silliness like the Temporal Cold War, and then got canceled when it was getting good

At the end it says "Premiering 2017 on CBS and coming to CBS All Access".

Now that I read it again, I think premiere is the key word here, perhaps it premieres on their TV network but the rest is on their online service?

That was the plan when they announced it, yes. No indication it's changed.

cntr

Banned
There's a theory that the Temporal Cold War was created by Janeway's time travel shenanigans, which kinda makes sense, since it makes Enterprise a sort-of-sequel to Voyager.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
There's a theory that the Temporal Cold War was created by Janeway's time travel shenanigans, which kinda makes sense, since it makes Enterprise a sort-of-sequel to Voyager.

Was this ever a popular theory? Up until SFDebris did the review for "Endgame", and Chuck did his "What I would have done" bit, I never heard it.

It's a very cool concept that, like a lot of Enterprise, wasn't particularly well realized.

Yeah I guess I agree with this. It's a shame we never got to see them follow up on it more... I imagine season 5 was going to deal more with that and and with the Romulans.
It's something I wouldn't mind having them revisit in the new show.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Kirsten Beyer was added to the writing staff.

http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/05/voyager-novelist-kirsten-beyer-joins-trek-2017-team/

Kirsten Beyer, who has been crafting the Star Trek: Voyager relaunch novel series since 2009, confirmed to TrekCore that she will be joining Bryan Fuller and the rest of the writing staff for the 2017 Star Trek series coming to CBS All Access.

Beyer has written eight full-length novels covering the ongoing adventures of the USS Voyager crew after the return from the Delta Quadrant, a role she took over from novelist Christie Golden, who left the Voyager book series in 2004.

The author has been praised for her knack with tying disparate bits of Trek continuity together in her novels, tying relatively obscure or one-time events from the Voyager television episodes into her writing, and may bring a similar skill set to the Trek 2017 writers room.

butalala

Can anyone that is familiar with her work weigh in on this news? Honestly, it seems like a misstep to me, especially the bit about tying together pieces of continuity. I remember rolling my eyes at stuff like that in the Star Trek EU threads a couple of months ago.

She can be a pretty variable writer, from the incredible "Children of the Storm to the the terrible "The Eternal Tide".

It is important to note that "Eternal Tide" was an (assumedly publisher driven) attempt to bring Janeway back from the dead, and that can really tie a writers hands. The stuff with the Q was absolutely terrible though, and I assume that was all her.

Not having to write for a mass murdering psychopath captain will probably improve things though, and COTS shows she has it in her to write really good stuff.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
New Info:

http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/06/bryan-fuller-shoots-down-two-star-trek-2017-rumors/

I’ve read that we’re [set] before “Next Generation,” after [“Star Trek VI: The] Undiscovered Country,” which is false.
I’ve read that it’s an anthology show, which is not accurate. So it’s interesting to see those suggestions, and seeing the truth mixed in with them and going like, “Oh, they got that part right…”
But it’s sort of on the truth-o-meter on PolitiFacts. It’s sort of like some truth, and a lot of like, “No — pants on fire! That’s not true.”

I think we will be seeing lots of crews in the story. One of the things that is exciting for me is that we are telling a “Star Trek” story in a modern way. We’re telling a 13-chapter story in this first season.
It’s nice to be able to dig deep into things that would have been breezed passed if we were doing episodic and had to contain a story to an episode.
Lastly, he also hinted towards a revisit of previously-seen Trek characters:

MOVIEFONE: Would you like to revisit any characters? Is there a window open to bring in characters that have been established in the canon?
FULLER: Eventually. Eventually.

Yeah, I honestly hope they don't listen to a single word of what he said.

Also, if they bring back any characters from the other shows: Worf, Julian Bashir, Miles O'Brien and Garak please!

One or more episodes with Picard and Sisko would be cool as well..... No idea how they could bring Sisko back though.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
"Not an anthology" but spending time with different crews sounds as if the show is completely arc-based rather than standalone episodes, and doesn't employ the traditional Star Trek schema of using the main ship as a bottle in which to tell stories. So the episodes would generally follow a few lead characters, but that cast would move between many locations, interacting with a varied cast of persistent supporting characters.

Example, lead characters begin on one federation ship, travel to a planet for a few episodes that features major supporting cast, move to a non-federation ship for a while, then meet back up with their ship in a different location for the finale of the season.

Fuchsdh

"Not an anthology" but spending time with different crews sounds as if the show is completely arc-based rather than standalone episodes, and doesn't employ the traditional Star Trek schema of using the main ship as a bottle in which to tell stories. So the episodes would generally follow a few lead characters, but that cast would move between many locations, interacting with a varied cast of persistent supporting characters.

Example, lead characters begin on one federation ship, travel to a planet for a few episodes that features major supporting cast, move to a non-federation ship for a while, then meet back up with their ship in a different location for the finale of the season.

Game of Star-Thrones

I’ve read that we’re [set] before “Next Generation,” after [“Star Trek VI: The] Undiscovered Country,” which is false.
MOVIEFONE: Would you like to revisit any characters? Is there a window open to bring in characters that have been established in the canon?
FULLER: Eventually. Eventually.

Gimme dat Ambassador Picard cameo and please name-check Captain Data. Really hoping this is chronologically later than the point that Spock fell into the black hole in the Prime universe.

Sloane

Banned
I hope by "I’ve read that we’re [set] before “Next Generation,” after [“Star Trek VI: The] Undiscovered Country,” which is false.", he means it is actually set after TNG, not just not in between those two. But, still, sounds very, very promising.

I hope by "I’ve read that we’re [set] before “Next Generation,” after [“Star Trek VI: The] Undiscovered Country,” which is false.", he means it is actually set after TNG, not just not in between those two.

Yeah, that's my hope as well.

Although honestly, I wouldn't mind if they set it smack in the middle of the movie-era, just with a completely different crew in some other aspect of the galaxy.

I also really hope the ship is Miranda class.

They could do so many cool things in a post ds9 and Romulus being destroyed universe, it's crazy. A lot of possibilities for real world parallels too, which has kinda been Star Trek's thing from the start.
Fans or gene roddenberrys vision can still have their wish with the federation being a pretty idealized society, mostly, but the romulans are obviously going to be in a bad place at that point and that could open up a lot of external pressure that the federation could end up having a hard time dealing with.

I've always been of the opinion that Star Trek is at it's best when roddenberrys vision for what the Federation is supposed to be is being threatened, like in DS9.

Sephzilla

Kind of off topic but could i ask for some advice from TrekGAF? I'm noticing the Star Trek TNG blurays are coming down in price on Amazon. I was curious which version is the better purchase?

Option 1

Option 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom