• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek (January 2017 TV Series) News and Speculation Thread of Boldly Streaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand how so many sci-fi shows today have such shitty CG when the Stargate series had movie-quality CG up until the end. And it still holds up today.

What is wrong about saying it gives me nausea? With all due respect, who are you to tell me what does and does not give me nausea? In all honesty and truth, I gotta say the logo gives me nausea. It looks like a late-90s try-hard sci-fi fan logo, and that saddens me, especially with how true the current series is, while being fresh at the same time.

To me, as a die-hard Trek fan, this is a disappointment.

I was referring to oh well at least I got Beyond.

I will be utterly shocked if Beyond is more Star Trek than this series.

You literally just wrote off the series based on a logo.

Btw does everyone believe that this will be the level of CGI in the show proper? It's a quickly made logo reveal not footage from the actual show.

boingball

The first part of the teaser gives me Abrams vibe, which is bad. The end though looks kind of Star Trek. Still not giving up hope.

Do we know what tone the show is going for? Hoping for the tone of the movies since I thought those were great and a bunch of fun while the show never really peaked my interest.

Please no. The show should be for Star Trek fans. The movie can stay as it is and target the Star Wars audience.

I hope they go for a meaty season. This means more of a risk of bad episodes, but it would also mean more of a chance of good episodes. The 6 episode X-Files show didn't have enough meat to provide enough good episodes.

The first part of the teaser gives me Abrams vibe, which is bad. The end though looks kind of Star Trek. Still not giving up hope.

Please no. The show should be for Star Trek fans. The movie can stay as it is and target the Star Wars audience.

I hope they go for a meaty season. This means more of a risk of bad episodes, but it would also mean more of a chance of good episodes. The 6 episode X-Files show didn't have enough meat to provide enough good episodes.

Structurally, I think they could stand to take a nod from what Gotham's doing right now; full length season, but rather than having monsters/planets/whatevers of the week, it's broken up into mini arcs that last 3-5 episodes and a myth arc that takes as long as it takes. It's a good balance, imo.

At least they ditched the terrible movie theme and went back to the traditional Star Trek theme music.

The end credits of the movies are the traditional Star Trek theme.

Further, Giacchino's Star Trek score is considered one of the best sci-fi scores in recent memory.

Of all the things to shit on in Abrams' movies, the score is like, the least mentioned aspect. Because it's legitimately good. Great, even.

JetBlackPanda

Gold Member
Is it that hard to understand that we want a prime universe future show with showy tech and and a fun exploration vibe? The logo from this is scratched up and the "font" just screams grim dark.

I dunno guys

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Is it that hard to understand that we want a prime universe future show with showy tech and and a fun exploration vibe? The logo from this is scratched up and the "font" just screams grim dark.

I dunno guys

Counterpoint: The old school font and music, combined with the literal bright colorful zoom through the Galaxy and universe beyond is exactly what you just asked for.

JetBlackPanda

Gold Member
Counterpoint: The old school font and music, combined with the literal bright colorful zoom through the Galaxy and universe beyond is exactly what you just asked for.

To be fair yes, with another watch the zoom through the galaxy part was reminiscent of TNGs open ( even has a solar flare ) I guess my big problem is the font and the logo.

I just love Trek, I want it to be good.

cntr

Banned
A rusty logo isn't necessarily a bad thing. Could symbolize anything, like a "backwater of the galaxy" setting.

Lagamorph

Based on what? That's more TOS like logo than post Nemesis logo.

Well, it's certainly not going to be set during/before TOS. At that point that logo was the symbol for the Enterprise only, not Starfleet in general. Every ship had its own identifying symbol during TOS era. The only way that symbol would/should be used in a TOS era show is if this was a straight up remake of TOS, which would be a terrible idea.
It also doesn't correspond to any of the variations of the logo we know of in the period between TOS and Nemesis.

JoeM86

I don't understand how so many sci-fi shows today have such shitty CG when the Stargate series had movie-quality CG up until the end. And it still holds up today.

The CG in Stargate Universe was gorgeous.

So much better than what we got, and the music hits the right notes to the imagery. Damn you Paramount for screwing it up.

Something good like that would be nice. We're getting back to the age of cool opening sequences rather than the period where we just cut to it after a 5 second title flair.

cntr

Banned
So much better than what we got, and the music hits the right notes to the imagery. Damn you Paramount for screwing it up.
Seriously, it would've been the best opening of Star Trek. The feel-good inspiration of Archer's Theme with those visuals of human progress, incredible.

I think that, rewatching TNG, it's clear that the low level of action isn't really something they decided to do, and more something they couldn't escape from. There're fights, they just look... well, awful.

DS9 had some great fights though
2a_Tap.gif

tumblr_muh1ubE3zY1suehbpo3_250.gif

I like the logo.

cntr

Banned
DS9 had the best fights, live and CGI.

Not to mention The Siege of AR-558, the only ground war battle shown on Star Trek.

Hagi

That's the most teaser ass teaser I've ever seen how the hell can you say it gives you nausea lol

There is a rumour about it being an anthology show? Not sure how I'd feel about that.

If you were a REAL fan you'd know they call themselves "Trekkies."

No. I am a 'normal' die hard fan. I don't dress up in Star Trek uniforms or speak Klingon.
That's the most teaser ass teaser I've ever seen how the hell can you say it gives you nausea lol

There is a rumour about it being an anthology show? Not sure how I'd feel about that.

Teaser says "new crews" its possible that there wont be a ship or spacestation centric story.

At this point they have nothing to lose to try something different. We've had 4 shows now based around a crew on a ship or spacestation. Would be interesting to see other parts of the Federation.

CSJ

It just has an air of cheapness about it, absolutely not telling of the final product of course but it irks me how shoddy it was in some places. Like the stars at the start looks like two separate 2D images not synced together. Rest I have no complaints, other than the shitty horns.
I'm of the type that likes to show good work rather than hash out something quick because fuck it.

Waiting for someone hardcore to find out if the stars at the end can lead us to a location - probably not and just generic but hey ho :D

KonradLaw

God, I can;t believe how stupidly happy that little damn teaser made me :D I must have been missing Trek on TV way more than I thought.

So I assume they changed their minds and are going to air it on TV and not only just CBS All Access? It would've been silly if it was online only since Trek also has older generations and nobody wants to pay for CBS All Access for near the same price as Netflix but with a small selection to watch.

Teaser is okay, just don't like the scratched (?) insignia.

Fuchsdh

So I assume they changed their minds and are going to air it on TV and not only just CBS All Access? It would've been silly if it was online only since Trek also has older generations and nobody wants to pay for CBS All Access for near the same price as Netflix but with a small selection to watch.

Teaser is okay, just don't like the scratched (?) insignia.

The highly textured look is just modern blockbuster fads, what bothers me more is the random line breaking up the delta shield. What is that there for?

Fuchsdh

At the end it says "Premiering 2017 on CBS and coming to CBS All Access".

Now that I read it again, I think premiere is the key word here, perhaps it premieres on their TV network but the rest is on their online service?

Probably.

I'm not particularly worried about it, because if it crashes and burns on All Access they'll move it around. They're not going to kill their biggest potential franchise over streaming.

butalala

At the end it says "Premiering 2017 on CBS and coming to CBS All Access".

Now that I read it again, I think premiere is the key word here, perhaps it premieres on their TV network but the rest is on their online service?

Yeah, that's how I read it too. Exactly how it was originally pitched.

The logo indicates to me that this is gonna be set in the Prime Universe post-Nemesis.

Honestly that thought had occurred to me also but really, it's just the line down the side that made the future badges come to mind and it's hardly enough for a theory. You can see my train of thought here, but it's flimsy. I inserted the new logo into the lineup.

SHAuHfr.png

And yes before anyone says it, I know those future badges are only from possible/alternate futures.

I hope it's true anyway. I wouldnt want anything to invalidate Star Trek Countdown, though. Just skip ahead of that time period. As silly as it is to hold tight to that comic, it really satisfied me to see the fallout on the other side of the black hole and see Captain Data and Ambassador Picard. Gives me a sort of fictional closure.
I'd be perfectly willing to let go if they have a better plan however, like a cameo or two in the first episode like the first episode of TNG had.

DS9 had some great fights though
2a_Tap.gif

tumblr_muh1ubE3zY1suehbpo3_250.gif

I like the logo.

DS9 did fights and action much better, it's true, but then it did basically everything better, so that's kind of the exception that proves the rule :D

(I kid, I kid. Sorta.)

But honestly, the level of action on (most of) the shows vs. the level of action in the movies, plus how the action in (most of) the shows looked really does make me think that the lack of solid fight scenes and space combat is down less to some core philosophical opposition to them and more to how damn hard it was for them to get them right.

Lagamorph

Honestly that thought had occurred to me also but really, it's just the line down the side that made the future badges come to mind and it's hardly enough for a theory. You can see the train of thought here, but it's flimsy.

SHAuHfr.png

And yes before anyone says it, I know those future badges are only from possible/alternate futures.

I hope it's true anyway. I wouldnt want anything to invalidate Star Trek Countdown, though. Just skip ahead of that time period. As silly as it is to hold tight to that comic, it really satisfied me to see the fallout on the other side of the black hole and see Captain Data and Ambassador Picard. Gives me a sort of fictional closure.
I'd be perfectly willing to let go if they have a better plan however, like a cameo or two in the first episode like the first episode of TNG had.

It wasn't so much that it's a future badge we've seen before, but simply that it's the Enterprise, then Starfleet, logo and we've seen what the badges/logos were prior to TNG already.
It can't be set in the TOS era on a different starship since at that time that logo is only for the Enterprise, which also rules out another pre-TOS but post-ENT show. If it's set in the Prime Universe then it would have to be post-TNG, otherwise it'd be re-writing the established canon. That's what makes me think Prime universe post-TNG is the most likely scenario.

The only other options are either TNG in the new film timeline, which I don't really see since CBS don't have the rights to the films I believe (Unless they've done a deal with Paramount), or the other option would be another, third, alternate timeline which just doesn't seem at all likely to me.

brian577

Banned
The highly textured look is just modern blockbuster fads, what bothers me more is the random line breaking up the delta shield. What is that there for?

Perhaps to symbolize this is a midquel? Just spitballing...

It wasn't so much that it's a future badge we've seen before, but simply that it's the Enterprise, then Starfleet, logo and we've seen what the badges/logos were prior to TNG already.
It can't be set in the TOS era on a different starship since at that time that logo is only for the Enterprise, which also rules out another pre-TOS but post-ENT show. If it's set in the Prime Universe then it would have to be post-TNG, otherwise it'd be re-writing the established canon. That's what makes me think Prime universe post-TNG is the most likely scenario.

The only other options are either TNG in the new film timeline, which I don't really see since CBS don't have the rights to the films I believe (Unless they've done a deal with Paramount), or the other option would be another, third, alternate timeline which just doesn't seem at all likely to me.

Why would they have to? We're talking about 80 years of almost untouched history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom