• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek (January 2017 TV Series) News and Speculation Thread of Boldly Streaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sloane

Banned
Deep space nine is my favorite sci fi TV show of all time, so I can't wait for this.

Quark is not only the best Ferengi, but the best star trek character.
garakouk0x.jpg

liquidtmd

Banned
Quick random question / consensus about the amount of episodes they should have...

(Sorry if been discussed at length or answered, not been following the thread)

Rewatching Voyager at the moment and, whilst some are admittedly shit filler episodes, even then I love just escaping in them as well as all Trek. 22 episodes ish really allow comfort viewing, and I enjoy them warts and all

In this day and age I can see them fully going down the 12 episodes / less filler route and that would disappoint me somewhat. Many often say less is more, but with Trek I like the length and can accept this may be at cost of needing to have some shit ones.

What say you Trek GAF - do you hope for 22+ episodes like me per season, or would you want 12 perfect episodes instead?

Fuchsdh

Quick random question / consensus about the amount of episodes they should have...

Rewatching Voyager at the moment and, whilst some are admittedly shit filler episodes, even then I love just escaping in them as well as all Trek. 22 episodes ish really allow comfort viewing, and I enjoy them warts and all

In this day and age I can see them fully going down the 12 episodes / less filler route and that would disappoint me somewhat. Many often say less is more, but with Trek I like the length and can accept this may be at cost of needing to have some shit ones.

What say you Trek GAF - do you hope for 22+ episodes like me per season, or would you want 12 perfect episodes instead?

It's probably going to be less, but I think the big issue with modern TV seasons is less the reduced number of episodes and more the excessive focus on grand overarching season arcs.

Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and a whole crop of new 13-or-under seasons have been leaving me feeling like they should have been at least an episode or two shorter, given that they drag out plot points and lose steam by the end.

liquidtmd

Banned
It's probably going to be less, but I think the big issue with modern TV seasons is less the reduced number of episodes and more the excessive focus on grand overarching season arcs.

Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and a whole crop of new 13-or-under seasons have been leaving me feeling like they should have been at least an episode or two shorter, given that they drag out plot points and lose steam by the end.

I entirely agree about in particular Jessica Jones. That felt like 10 episodes would have been perfect but it was stuffed with effectively a couple of episodes of padding.

Its just Trek is different for me. I like the occasional shit episodes where bugger all happens, I'm weird

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member

I'd prefer sth in between like 12 to 16 (max) episodes that has less filler (but still some filler to light it up) and more focus on the plot then the usual 24-26 episodes.

ps. please have Mads Mikkelsen in the show.

Fuchsdh

I entirely agree about in particular Jessica Jones. That felt like 10 episodes would have been perfect but it was stuffed with effectively a couple of episodes of padding.

Its just Trek is different for me. I like the occasional shit episodes where bugger all happens, I'm weird

Nah, I understand your point. The advantage of Trek is I think its format allows for a much wider range of storytelling avenues and episode formats within the same show. You can go from a war story to a plot about holodeck adventures in a schlocky 50s sci-fi serial.

In a perfect world, I'd take 10 great episodes over 20 mediocre ones, but cutting down on the number of eps doesn't directly correlate to quality so neatly.

KonradLaw

I hope it will have a lot of episodes. Shows like those need them. Because some of the best episodes are always the quirky standalones based on some crazy idea and episodes like those usually don't make it in short seasons.

liquidtmd

Banned
In a perfect world, I'd take 10 great episodes over 20 mediocre ones, but cutting down on the number of eps doesn't directly correlate to quality so neatly.

Agreed also.

Just was curious since this is the first big Trek show since 12 episode-ish serial dramas have blown up in the last 10 years.

I reckon a lot of Senior Execs will look at that and veto doing a 22 episode run based solely on that. 'Game of Thrones et al don't need 22 episodes, why should Star Trek' or some such argument

Karu

If 13 episodes are TNG S1-levels of turboshit, I would still want the season be 26 episodes. Take the good with the bad and enjoy the ride. At least with what I have seen of the shows, even bad (or horrible) Trek episodes were somewhat worth it/fun to discuss/added something. I don't want a hyper-serialized show either. DS9 had the perfect mixture.

That was....eh that logo is awful though, they might be ramping up the marketing for Star Trek Beyond at least, since the new trailer comes out Friday and they released this today.

Well that shows close to nothing so I have just as much to say about it.

Regarding the badge/logo, it's boring but it's not offensive.

HUELEN10

Is there anything you're not incredibly wrong about?

What is wrong about saying it gives me nausea? With all due respect, who are you to tell me what does and does not give me nausea? In all honesty and truth, I gotta say the logo gives me nausea. It looks like a late-90s try-hard sci-fi fan logo, and that saddens me, especially with how true the current series is, while being fresh at the same time.

To me, as a die-hard Trek fan, this is a disappointment.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Do we know what tone the show is going for? Hoping for the tone of the movies since I thought those were great and a bunch of fun while the show never really peaked my interest.

What is wrong about saying it gives me nausea? With all due respect, who are you to tell me what does and does not give me nausea? In all honesty and truth, I gotta say the logo gives me nausea. It looks like a late-90s try-hard sci-fi fan logo, and that saddens me, especially with how true the current series is, while being fresh at the same time.

To me, as a die-hard Trek fan, this is a disappointment.

You mean not at all?

I don't remember Fast and Furious being in original Trek.

Do we know what tone the show is going for? Hoping for the tone of the movies since I thought those were great and a bunch of fun while the show never really peaked my interest.

Fuller's first hire as showrunner was Nicholas Meyer as a primary writer, so it's probably a decent bet we're ending up with something closer to the tone of Star Trek II, IV, and VI.

It's a logo, who cares.

I just hope it's not all balls to the wall action. I know some of it needs to be action, but I don't go to ST for the pew-pews.

I think that, rewatching TNG, it's clear that the low level of action isn't really something they decided to do, and more something they couldn't escape from. There're fights, they just look... well, awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom