• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR FOX fans — What would be the STAR FOX game of your dreams?

Neiteio

OK, so now I'm thinking this is the Star Fox title of my dreams:

STAR FOX 64-II

- Co-developers: PlatinumGames AND Treasure
- Director: Hideki Kamiya / Producer: Shigeru Miyamoto
- The most content-packed installment in series history
- Difficulty slider for risk/reward, like Kid Icarus Uprising
- 100 missions — 70 Arwing; 15 Landmaster; 15 on-foot
- Branching paths can lead to alternate levels and endings
- Players will see roughly 50 levels on a single playthrough
- Levels have three parts — on-rails, all-range, boss battle
- Levels can change up the order and extent of each part
- Levels are vast, intricately detailed, and fully destructible
- Huge variety of enemy types and over-the-top set-pieces
- Issue commands to AI-controlled wingmates in campaign
- Team includes Fox, Falco, Peppy, Slippy, Miyu and Fay
- Arwing can hover and strafe in all-range mode, like Warhawk
- Arwing has extendable appendages for melee and grappling
- Arwing can find upgrades, like a Galaga-style "second ship"
- Arwing transforms into a bipedal mech with new abilities
- Mech is reminiscent of mech in Starhawk, only faster
- Mech can infiltrate installations during flight missions
- Mech can dismantle ground fortifications (I.E. anti-air)
- Mech is originally from the unreleased STAR FOX 2
- Landmaster is amphibious and can roll right into the water
- Landmaster can sail like a ship, and dive like a submarine
- Landmaster's submarine form is called Blue Marine Mode
- Landmaster can drive up walls and across ceilings
- Landmaster uses anti-gravity treads for climbing
- On-foot missions (on-rails) play similar to Sin & Punishment
- On-foot missions (all-range) feature "stylish character action"
- This means TPS action like Vanquish, melee like Bayonetta
- There are also one-on-one rival duels like Metal Gear Rising
- Fox's legs are enhanced with new cybernetic augmentations
- This references his appearance in the SNES promotional art
- Fox's legs can super-sprint, rocket-jump, jackhammer foes
- Fox's leg moves are regulated by a gauge, Vanquish-style
- Fox wields a variety of firearms, and an extendable bō staff
- Fox and his vehicles can be customized to a high degree
- Customize by equipping new armaments and subsystems
- Players control a transformable Great Fox for the final battle
- Andross plugs his head into a robot body for the final battle
- Most cutscenes/codecs feature Thunderbirds-style puppets
- Live-action puppets call back to the SNES promotional art
- Cutscenes during missions are all in-engine (codecs aside)
- Database has art, music, lore, bestiary, 3D figures, dioramas
- Achievements rewarded by prize wall, like Kid Icarus Uprising
- Online leaderboards are available for missions, campaigns
- Replay data is uploaded to authenticate the record-holders
- Multiplayer has local split-screen, online, and local/online
- Multiplayer has Warhawk-like sandbox battles (2-32 players)
- Multiplayer has a co-op campaign for up to four players
- In co-op, players are briefed on the target and receive intel
- Players have various options, similar to the heists in GTAV
- Players must divide and conquer, handling different tasks
- For the sandbox battles, players create custom characters
- Pick species, gender, color of skin/fur/feathers/scales, etc.
- Battle by land, air and sea, in free-for-all and team formats
- Spectate live matches (co-op and PvP) via Star Fox TV
- Soundtrack scored by an all-star team, led by Koji Kondo
- Bonus: Mirror Mode that mirrors levels, remixes enemies
- Bonus: Challenging mini-campaign with playable Wolf
- Bonus: Super FX Mode with flat-shaded polygon style
- Bonus: The unreleased SNES title STAR FOX 2
- Above bonuses are secret post-game content

qq more

Man, the near-complete ROM for Star Fox II looks so cool. Shame they pulled the plug on it due to the impending release of N64. The game looks so well-made. It'd be amazing if Nintendo remastered it in stereoscopic 3D and released it on the 3DS eShop as a "Hidden 3D Classic." :)

I remember hearing Star Fox Command was based off it. After playing both, that's likely really true. Shame the DS game wasn't very fun since I enjoyed Star Fox 2. It had tons of potential though

EDIT: Online co-op and versus would be AMAZING for any type of Star Fox game, it's exactly what I'd want in a SF64 sequel!

Camjo-Z

Take the classic Arwing gameplay of 64, the mech gameplay of Star Fox II, the spectacle of Assault, Tricky from Adventures, and the online play of Command and you've got the makings of a master Star Fox game.

STAR FOX 64-II
- Branching paths lead to new levels and alternate endings

Dunno if I would want this though. Part of what makes Star Fox 64 so great is its pick-up-and-play score attack nature, having a ridiculously long campaign would kind of lose the appeal. Plus unless these levels are really short, having 100 levels with only half of them seen on a single playthrough would become annoying pretty fast.

In general, I want to make the development process efficient so that the game doesn't have to be $60. The AAA dev bloat that occurs nowadays is terrible.

Yes, I agree that multiplayer and coop are very good ways to create value and longevity in the game. That doesn't necessarily speak for the imminent need for on-foot gameplay. Assault's on-foot gameplay was only fun for some, and that was just in multiplayer.

It wouldn't be a matter of reinventing the wheel. It would be rolling back a mistake. Don't bother trying to make it better, just take it out. If it's so good and an integral/necessary aspect of a new Star Fox, why is it only used "sparingly", or "mostly optional"? It's either important, or a side thing. Ditch it, and use the time to improve the Arwing gameplay and mission quality instead.

Again, there's nothing wrong with this theoretical SF game being a budget title. So long as it's good, it would be welcome. However, if people want Nintendo to make a full-fledged console entry, it's going to be a more expensive endeavor than it would on 3DS in order to meet the standards of Wii U first-party games. Nintendo seems to have been leery of going big with titles they're not sure will succeed considering how little exposure F-Zero, this series and, to a lesser extent, Metroid have gotten in recent years (especially compared to their bigger series). The re-release of SF64 on 3DS seemed like a case of gauging interest for that type of game without having to build a game from the ground up.

I don't pay much attention to Nintendo though, so I can't speak on what the company truly wants with their releases. However, I can say that if Nintendo wants to build a solid game that takes advantage of the Wii U's online capabilities, it will almost certainly need more to it than an hour-long campaign, even with the multiple routes. Assault's multiplayer was fun. For me, it fundamentally blows the multiplayer in SF64 and Command out of the water; even if those other two weren't so barebones, it still would be no competition.

Since this is a "What would be the STAR FOX game of my dreams?" thread, I'm dreaming of a SF game that manages to please anyone remotely interested in the gameplay and is so well received, Nintendo stops thinking of the series as not being just a niche series that doesn't warrant being designed in-house, or not as much attention their other major series get. The approach I and others have proposed may not be the safest approach, but it's all feasible. If the various types of gameplay and modes could be done as well as they were in past titles (Assault's multiplayer, 64's on-rails focus, Command's online), just with proper implementation in regards to one another, it could be successful.

The reason I consider on-foot gameplay to be important for multiplayer is because it was the reason Assault's multiplayer was so good, leaps and bounds better than any other SF multi. There were only two Landmaster levels in SF64 main game, yet those vehicles were available for multiplayer. While the future SF game I envision would have a decent chunk of on-foot gameplay, it would not need to be any more abundant (or any less on-rails) than the Landmaster/Blue Marine levels in 64, yet it'd allow for fun multiplayer. People who only want to stick to on-rails gameplay could do so and if on-rails on-foot gameplay is designed like Sin & Punishment's, it wouldn't be offensive to people who only want on-rails gameplay. The option to exit vehicles in all-range mode type arena battles could still be there, but no one have to be forced to play entire levels on-foot like in Assault. It could be similar to Star Fox 64's approach to Landmasters where the only all-range mode Landmaster gameplay took place in multiplayer; there are no all-range mode segments with the Landmaster in the campaign. If Nintendo's already done that with what's widely considered the best game in the series, then it could work here. It wouldn't go against Nintendo's design principle for the series to have a certain percentage of each gameplay type in the campaign, then allow players to use whatever they want when they want in multiplayer. It's fun. I know there are plenty of people out there would still play Assault's multiplayer if it had online capabilities. This could be Nintendo's chance at having a competent online mode for one of their games.

Multi doesn't have to be throwaway side content. Nintendo seems big on multipalyer in their Mario games and it has proven to be good in past SF titles. If Nintendo wants to play it safe, they can have a single-player only entirely Arwing-based game. It's not going to be compare to something like SM3DW in terms of sales though, so it won't be comparatively big, in turn, Nintendo's perception of the series won't change and we'll never get anything more than that out of the series.

halo-reach-space-combat.png

Remember Halo:Reach and that one space mission battling enemy covenant?

I'd like to see a Star Fox like that, with a faster pace, and an easier pick up and play design.

Something like that would soothe all the bad blood Nintendo had with Star Fox Adventures.

I'd say to add some 3rd person over the shoulder action scenes(RE4 style), but I also know Star Fox fans expect 11/10 and are crazy folks in general. With both game mechanics, you can have Fox travel to locations in a linear story, but have the option to explore on foot and in the air.

Use that design to reboot the series and create some form of cohesive writing so that you could sequelize the franchise into an AAA IP. If done right, Nintendo could revive the IP, create a new cash cow, and at the same time create a title for the Wii U thats been struggling in the market.

The production should be done by Capcom, but idk if the core team from RE4 is still in house there. Bring in Bungie for the space battle set-pieces.

A dash of simple multiplayer deathmatch with simple arcade style power ups and dedicated server support would put the title over the top.

But I mean, who would listen to this guy?!

qq more

Take the classic Arwing gameplay of 64, the mech gameplay of Star Fox II, the spectacle of Assault, Tricky from Adventures, and the online play of Command and you've got the makings of a master Star Fox game.

Dunno if I would want this though. Part of what makes Star Fox 64 so great is its pick-up-and-play score attack nature, having a ridiculously long campaign would kind of lose the appeal. Plus unless these levels are really short, having 100 levels with only half of them seen on a single playthrough would become annoying pretty fast.

Yeah I agree here. Rail shooters aren't made for long campaigns and 50 is really overkill...

Neiteio

Maybe a good way to reconcile abundant content and the pick-up-and-play score attack nature is to divide the campaign into acts, so you can feel accomplished knocking out Act 1 (let's say 10 chapters) and come back for Acts 2, 3, 4 and 5 some other time.

Seeing only 50 out of 100 each playthrough is further incentive to take alternate paths and secret exits for new branching paths on the level select screen.

Of course, the 100 number is just a pie-in-the-sky figure that I picked more for its easily divisible nature than anything else. :p

Atomski

I know I will be seen as a real asshole for saying this.. but...

A non furrie Starfox? :p

I know.. it was cool as a kid. Unfortunately time and age has made it creepy as an adult.

Neiteio

I know.. it was cool as a kid. Unfortunately time and age has made it creepy as an adult.
They're based on Japanese folklore, actually. If they play it straight and treat their characters with dignity (no goofy made-up languages and jiggling blue tits), I'm sure the animal motif can be appealing... even as the sicko fanbase conspires against it.

halo-reach-space-combat.png

Remember Halo:Reach and that one space mission battling enemy covenant?

I'd like to see a Star Fox like that, with a faster pace, and an easier pick up and play design.

Something like that would soothe all the bad blood Nintendo had with Star Fox Adventures.

Assault honestly had some segments like this. It's biggest problem was that the proportion of forced on-foot segments compared to vehicle/on-rails gameplay was really off.

The multiplayer was brilliant and allowed players to flying arwings in open levels, jump out, stand on top of their still flying Arwing, fire rockets at a Landmaster below, then fly off using a jetpack, Etc.

Maybe a good way to reconcile abundant content and the pick-up-and-play score attack nature is to divide the campaign into acts, so you can feel accomplished knocking out Act 1 (let's say 10 chapters) and come back for Acts 2, 3, 4 and 5 some other time.

Seeing only 50 out of 100 each playthrough is further incentive to take alternate paths and secret exits for new branching paths on the level select screen.

Of course, the 100 number is just a pie-in-the-sky figure that I picked more for its easily divisible nature than anything else. :p
Maybe something like 30-35 individual levels with 15-20 unique paths to take.

Yup.

OK, so now I'm thinking this is the Star Fox title of my dreams:

STAR FOX 64-II

- Co-developed by PlatinumGames AND Treasure
- Directed by Kamiya, and supervised by Miyamoto
- The most content-packed installment in series history
- Selectable difficulty levels at start (Novice to Expert)
- Branching paths lead to new levels and alternate endings
- Levels have three parts — on-rails; all-range; boss battle
- Levels can change up the order and extent of each part
- Levels are vast, intricately detailed, and fully destructible
- Huge variety of enemy types and over-the-top set-pieces
- Issue commands to AI-controlled wing-mates in campaign
- Arwing transforms into a bipedal mech with new abilities
- Mech is reminiscent of mech in Starhawk, but agile
- Mech can infiltrate installations during flight missions
- Mech can dismantle ground fortifications (I.E. anti-air)
- Mech is originally from the unreleased STAR FOX II
- Arwing has upgrades, like a Galaga-style "second ship"
- Arwing has extendable appendages for melee and grappling
- Landmaster is amphibious and can roll straight into the water
- Landmaster skims surface like a gunboat, or dives like a sub
- Landmaster can scale vertical surfaces and cling to ceilings
- On-foot missions (on-rails) play similar to Sin & Punishment
- On-foot missions (all-range) feature "stylish character action"
- This means TPS action like Vanquish, melee like Bayonetta
- There are also one-on-one rival duels like Metal Gear Rising
- Fox's legs are enhanced with new cybernetic augmentations
- This references his appearance in the SNES promotional art
- Fox's legs can jackhammer foes, fire missiles, rocket-jump
- Fox wields a variety of firearms, and an extendable bō staff
- Fox and his vehicles can be customized to a high degree
- Customize by equipping new armaments and subsystems
- Final battle gives player control of a transformable Great Fox
- Most cutscenes/codecs feature Thunderbirds-style puppets
- Live-action puppets call back to the SNES promotional art
- Cutscenes during missions are all in-engine (codecs aside)
- Database feature has lore, bestiary, 3D figurines, dioramas
- A "prize wall" of in-game achievements rewards players
- Online leaderboards are available for missions, campaigns
- Replay data is uploaded to authenticate the record-holders
- Multiplayer has local split-screen, online, and local/online
- Multiplayer — Warhawk-like sandbox battles (2-32 players)
- Multiplayer — Co-op campaign mode for up to four players
- In co-op, players are briefed on the target and receive intel
- Players have different options, similar to the heists in GTAV
- Players must divide and conquer, handling different tasks
- For the sandbox battles, players create custom characters
- Pick species, gender, color of skin/fur/feathers/scales, etc.
- Battle by land, air and sea, in free-for-all and team formats
- Soundtrack scored by an all-star team, led by Koji Kondo
- Bonus: Mirror Mode that mirrors levels, remixes enemies
- Bonus: Challenging mini-campaign with playable Wolf
- Bonus: Super FX Mode with flat-shaded polygon style
- Bonus: The unreleased SNES title STAR FOX II
- Above bonuses are hidden post-game content

blackguyclapping.gif

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics

Yeah, let's just make it another bald space marine TPS instead. That would be great. Great great.

Culex

Banned
Dream Star Fox would be SNES music composer of Starfox mixed with one last get-together hurrah of the old Factor Five staff to make the Ultimate Starfox U.

Neiteio

Imagine a final battle where just when you think you've defeated Andross, his head flies off and screws into the neck socket of a giant robot body... and then you dock your Arwing in the Great Fox, the Great Fox transforms into a mech itself, and you have a giant mech battle out in the middle of space, maybe in the middle of some huge space battle reminiscent of the climax from Return of the Jedi. :-O

Imagine a final battle where just when you think you've defeated Andross, his head flies off and screws into the neck socket of a giant robot body... and then you dock your Arwing in the Great Fox, the Great Fox transforms into a mech itself, and you have a giant mech battle out in the middle of space, maybe in the middle of some huge space battle reminiscent of the climax from Return of the Jedi. :-O

Shh It's time to sleep now

Fox_and_Wolf_Sleeping_by_FoxFalcoFan.jpg

Neiteio

D'AWWW <3

I'd definitely like Fay (the white dog girl) and Miyu (the lynx girl) to be in the game. They were both in the unreleased Star Fox II.

Unfortunately, it's hard to find pictures of them on Google that aren't wildly inappropriate... even with Google set to strict filtering. >_<

Valjean posted their SFII portraits on the previous page (along with Fox, Falco, Peppy and Slippy):

b6EMm96.png

Jaeger

I am going to draw this, and then post it here.

Brb.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member

Why not go all the way and have Andross become a planet?

Unicron_planet_mode.jpeg

Terrell

Wow. The premise of the thread is about posting our ideal Star Fox game, not freaking sales. You're being really a huge killjoy about it by telling us "YOU'RE WRONG FOR WANTING THIS BECAUSE SALES".

I think we can all agree that the dream Star Fox game for all of us at this point is the one that can actually make it to market and sustain the franchise. Fantasy is fine, so long as it's tempered with reality. When it's not, we end up on the slippery slope towards being on the same level as Shenmue fans.

Oh and Star Fox 64 3D sales, really? That game launched when the 3DS didn't have a huge userbase and by the time it did, the game became forgotten, not to mention it's an overpriced remake of a N64 game. Didn't it launched at 40 dollars?????

And yet...

How many people are willing to pay 40 for a remake of a game (that didn't really add much new) that came out 15 years ago? And there wasn't really anything exciting about the remake other than you can play it on the go.
Ask Zelda fans. They were practically throwing money at their screens when OoT3D was announced.
So when you see it work for one and not the other, it speaks more to the viability of the franchise and the genre than it does to the success of the platform it was on.

qq more

There's like a huge difference between Zelda and Star Fox. Zelda fans constantly get good games and the franchise is in a healthy state because of it. Star Fox on the other hand gets constantly games with very poor reception among fans which caused the franchise to lose a lot of steam. It's not the gameplay that killed the franchise. They could even make it an e-shop title if they're that worried about sales.

But whatever, I still stand by my point that you're being a real killjoy about this.

I want a game like Star Fox Assault, just no on foot missions at all. Those were pretty annoying. I just want the majority of the missions to be in space where Star Fox belongs.

Kurt

Just came to say co-op (4players) online.
Retro could handle it.

And no foot missions.
Starfox 64, but -> anno 2014.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
How does co-op work for an on-rails shooter, anyway?

Sin and Punishment had co-op, but basically it's just another cursor on screen that someone else controls that is not attached to a second character. That's okay-ish, but not a real solution for Star Fox.

You can't really have all 4 pilots on the same "rail", since the screen would get really crowded. (or can you?).

Is it feasible to have 4 separate rails so that each player gets his own path? Then you'd have to design each mission 4 times so that each player gets a decent experience? Or could it be done in a way that doesn't require as much redundant work as I think it might?

JiuJitsuka

Neo Member
A massive online multiplayer battle system with 64 vs 64 space battles that include operating arwings with both cockpit and 3rd person view, as well as on ground battles on either space ships or planets in which you control your player from a 3rd person perspective.
Just imagine the possibilities, capture the flag, base capture, team death match, it has so much potential.
I did a sketch a few years ago for the cover. Please don't mind the cheap quality :D

Pociask

Mixing in mechs with Star Fox might be a good way to get more fans interested. I mean, if they can do Pokemon Conquest, how about a Star Fox vs. Gundam?

Why not go all the way and have Andross become a planet?

Unicron_planet_mode.jpeg

And then the Great Fox (in mech form) can suplex Planet Andross?

Yes.

Mixing in mechs with Star Fox might be a good way to get more fans interested. I mean, if they can do Pokemon Conquest, how about a Star Fox vs. Gundam?

I love you guys.

I wish Nintendo/Platinum Games would just take a look at this thread, not that I have much hope that it would sway them in any way. It warms to heart to see how many other Star Fox fans there are who are passionate about this series.

Lautaro

Some truly ambitious ideas here, at this moment I would be happy with just a total conversion mod of Strike Suit Zero.

A true Star Fox game would probably make me return to console gaming though.

Jaeger

I think the proper way to solve all of our issues with the on foot missions, is to make them Cabal/On Rails/Sin & Punishment, style. Of course, this is for singleplayer, only.

I'm sure it;s been said before.

Neiteio

I think the proper way to solve all of our issues with the on foot missions, is to make them Cabal/On Rails/Sin & Punishment, style. Of course, this is for singleplayer, only.

I'm sure it;s been said before.
Like I said: Sin & Punishment-style for the on-rails sections, then Vanquish-style TPS for the all-range sections. Give Fox his "enhanced" legs from the SNES promo art (read: cybernetic augmentations). He could super-sprint and rocket-jump, like Vanquish's rocket slide &#8212; and like Vanquish, his ability to do so would be regulated by a replenishing energy gauge. You'd have a lot of firepower at your disposal, and you could wield your staff for melee combat. Then you top it all off with one-on-one rival duels like the boss fights in Metal Gear Rising.

Just picture it -- you fight your way to the top of a skyscraper, you reach the helipad where your Arwing is waiting, and then Wolf leaps down: "CAN'T LET YOU DO THAT, STAAAAAAR FOX!" And then you have an epic staff fight while "It Has To Be This Way" plays in the background. :)
And for Boss Doggie, both Fox and Wolf are shirtless.

I never played the SNES StarFox, and I've just started SF64 3D. I did have SF64 on my first Wii's VC but don't think I completed it. Regardless, I do think a lot of people look at that game with rosetinted glasses and shun the newer games without giving them a chance, or even playing them in some cases.

That said, it's been years since I completed Assault and Command. I did enjoy them, but recently tried replaying Assault, and I keep going back to it, then having to go on-foot, and shelving it again. I didn't mind too much on my first playthrough, but in hindsight they are pretty atrocious. If they were to return, they would have to be significantly streamlined/perfected and I don't think I'd mind them as much - otherwise they're a drag.

I like the suggestion of the series taking notes from KI:Uprising, but then again Uprising has really shone on its own, and I'm people would sneer at the thought of two Nintendo franchises being similar in design. I did enjoy the other sections of Assault though, and as most who played it will tell you, the multiplayer was really fun with four people, despite the aforementioned rigid controls of the on-foot singleplayer sections.

I don't remember much about Command, but the branching endings do mean the series has some options storywise. It did kinda ruin the integrity of characters like Fox and Krystal with some of the ridiculous storylines, and the gameplay was nothing to write home about, and the nods to the SNES titles were nice, as well as to see old characters return.

If I were to want another SF game, I think the easiest way to appease people would be to take baby steps and go back to basics again with the way things were with 64 and that pick up and play quality. No on-foot sections, and an extensive online multiplayer system, with lots of replayability value and tonnes of witty dialogue between the cast since that's another part of the series' charm I'm sure, and Kid Icarus already hit that ball out of the park, so its time for StarFox to make a return, because every E3 I'm there just waiting for it to be announced.

Adan0s

Probably will get shitstormed for it, but: A more polished Starfox Adventures. :/
Just add more/longer Spacefights while traveling between planets.

Neiteio

I amended my wishlist to include a difficulty slider/risk-reward mechanic, like the Fiend's Cauldron in Kid Icarus: Uprising. You can dial up the difficulty, but the higher the difficulty, the more currency you gamble. If you succeed, you win back more than you gambled, and can spend the currency toward upgrades, armaments, etc.

emag

I never played the SNES StarFox, and I've just started SF64 3D. I did have SF64 on my first Wii's VC but don't think I completed it.

Go play SNES Starfox. It's in a totally different class than its sequels. The others are like Invisible War compared to Deus Ex or Devil May Cry 2 compared to DMC.

Of course he does. I agreed that "if done well", it could work. But this argument can be used for anything.

I just don't think there is a good possibility of it being done well. The original Star Fox, and Star Fox 64 are widely agreed upon as being the best in the series. It would be better to take the lessons of why those games were good and apply that to a new Star Fox games. Additionally, it would be wise to see why Assault and Command were bad, and make sure not to do that again.
You seem like the type that believes in ditching something, instead of improving it.
I've given this thought on a few occasions, trying to mix in some of my own preferences along with a dose of what could be a realistic expectation based on the current gaming landscape. With that in mind, there's two potential options as I imagine it...

Option 1: aka the option to please the super-strict hardcore fans: An eShop downloadable game done almost or exactly in the vein of Star Fox 64. Very arcadey, mostly on-rails, a campaign that you can play through in probably an hour or so but has a few potential routes to take. For the comparatively small level of development investment, this would probably be a single-player campaign, with maaaaybe a 4-player (local!) versus mode along the lines of SF643D. It would be what the "Arwings only!" crowd is looking for in a fairly compact package.

Option 2: The bigger-budget package, with all the benefits and pitfalls that come with it.
I actually think that in terms of concept, Star Fox Assault wasn't a bad direction for the series to go in. There'd be some hell to pay if Nintendo of all people tried to get away with charging for a $60 retail game with an on-rails campaign lasting only three or four hours, the value proposition just wouldn't be there in the modern era. Giving Star Fox a wider swathe of shooting action to work with isn't the problem...it's the fact that the execution of that initial concept lacked the polish it really needed. I personally liked the notion of the team taking on different tasks, some of them doing things in the air while others operated on land...but balancing that with the arbitrary "might gauge" that forced you out of ground objectives in order to jump away from your objective to shoot down random foes killed mission pacing.

How is this problem corrected? The best solution incorporates one of the other features that's often asked for out of Star Fox: Co-op play. Taking the usual four-person Star Fox team, you select your character at the beginning of a play session and the roles of each member of the team vary depending on the requirements of the mission. There would still be fully on-rails levels, but now each pilot takes a slightly different route through, with periods of overlapping for the classic opportunities to help bail your partners out of trouble. Each persons' path could have some conditions to shoot for that would have some impact on their partners (like, say, Falco's player having to take down an attack carrier before it crosses into Slippy's path and unloads a barrage of smaller enemy ships). In all-range levels, there would be a mix of ground and air objectives like with some of the levels in Assault, but the emphasis is taken away from one person having to constantly switch roles, instead allowing the objectives of both the ground and air teams to intermingle.
So let's say, for example, the team is called in to assist with an enemy invasion on the base at Katina. Two players are assigned to hit the surface and infiltrate the iconic pyramid-shaped base and clear out ground troops, while the two air-supports are tasked with protecting the skies. Periodic enemy drop-ships are sent in with reinforcements and it's up to the air-fighters to fight through the convoy and take out the loaders, otherwise they drop more numerous, tougher enemies for the players inside the base to deal with. Or a level where air support is needed to weaken a fort's outer defenses so that a ground-player can infiltrate and destroy some specific objective or rescue hostages or what have you. I think back to the mission on Corneria in Assault, where you had to track down radar-jammers on foot in order for your air companions to properly locate their own objectives. Both air and ground styles have different but concurrent objectives, encouraging proper teamwork and coordination. Plus you get a boost to replay value because playing through the missions as a different character gives you a very different experience without the programmers having to craft four times as many environments.

This style of game would need to foster a strong online community and would be something that Nintendo can really position as a strong net-minded franchise in a time when people seem to think that if it's not Mario Kart, they're not interested in putting anything online. With a multiplayer-centric approach, they could still design it as a single long campaign if they want to, or open things up a bit more and lay out clusters of stages as various self-contained "contracts" for the Star Fox mercenary team to complete. This would also cut out a lot of the needless melodrama and preponderance of unpopular characters that the likes of SF Command took the series in. Individual missions could still provide character insight and give hints toward a larger plot that comes to fruition once the final contracts are unlocked. As a bonus, taking a more episodic approach to the missions gives potential for future DLC contracts if Nintendo felt so inclined to extend the life of the game.

Speaking of episodes and DLC, how about a series of missions where you play as the Star Wolf team? Probably a bit less tactical and a bit more destructive, but certainly fun in its own right.

That's...about all I've got for game setup. Obviously it needs to have a quick, tight control scheme and great graphics and all the stuff you'd expect of any top notch game, but I figure that's a given for any "wishlist" game.
I love you man.

I know.. it was cool as a kid. Unfortunately time and age The Internet has made it creepy as an adult.

Go play SNES Starfox. It's in a totally different class than its sequels. The others are like Invisible War compared to Deus Ex or Devil May Cry 2 compared to DMC.
lmao what?!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
You seem like the type that believes in ditching something, instead of improving it.

If it sucks, yes.

Although, in my previous posts, I made it a point to mention that I don't think on-foot sections are beyond hope. They could be potentially done well, but I doubt the likelihood of that, and furthermore I think the time could be better spent elsewhere.

I also don't think that on-foot sections are what defines a "Star Fox" game.

Top Bottom