• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR FOX fans — What would be the STAR FOX game of your dreams?

Toad.T

Banned
It's most likely impossible with the Wii U right now, but I'd like it if the series adapted the style seen in the first game's promo art. Y'know, the Henson/Thunderbird style puppetry.

Jaeger

I say go full jacket, and make three titles. Choose a lead(s) for each game, and have them all play it around the same time for one over-arching plot.

[Wii U] Star Fox Traditional, Arwing mostly title (play as Star Fox team, and Star Wolf team in Secret Hardcore Inverted Castle-esque playthrough with unique storyline elements, happen same time as original campaign [
[Wii U OR 3DS] Adventures/Assault Style Game, play as Crystal and lesser Star Fox characters (Slippy as secondary, with unique gameplay?)
[3DS] Tactical Game, like Command (play as Gen. Pepper and R.O.B. commading Star Fox and Corneria troops)

I guess the adventure game could be either or, but the traditional game is a MUST for consoles and TVs.

Developed by Nintendo EAD and Platinum.

- Multiple ways to reach the final destination, like Star Fox 64 was.
- Navegation system similar to FTL: Faster Than Light.
- Alliance system. For example: your actions can determine the loyalty from local militias to fight at your side, neutral or even fight against you.
- Personnel acquirement and management. Great Fox would have a staff and you could manage select their roles. Guns, shields, R&D, scouting, etc.
- Rail-based and All-Range mode missions. Missions should be varied. There would be missions on the classic Star Fox style, on rails, but with, different paths to finish it, for example the Sector X and Corneria missions in Star Fox 64 where you had two alternative ways in those missions. All-Range mode missions should be close to Rogue Squadron style. Boss battles should be played on this all-range mode style.
- Pursuit missions. Similar to he missile inteception missions in Star Fox Command, the most innovative part from that game. You can pursuit enemy ships trying to leave, intercept missiles a la Command, cover your allies trying to escape or escape from Supernova/Asteroid Field.
- Arwing, Landmaster and Blue Marine upgradable. You could gain money and buy parts to upgrade your vehicles. Your mission performance vary on how much money you gain.
- Upgradable Great Fox. In All-Range mode missions, they can help you. The more you upgrade your mothership, the more powerful it gets. You can choose the supplies it can send you when you need, like bombs, silver/gold ring, wing blaster, wing repair, etc.
- Special Events. Each missions would have such events. Your decision to accept it or how you execute it can determine the alliance system and the personnel acquirement. Your selection of a certain path in a rail-based mission can have similar effect.
- Secret Missions. Some planets/missions can have unlockable missions depending of your performance, acquiring especific personnel, defeating special enemies or your Great Fox scouting depending on your position of the map.
- Command orders. Similar to Rogue Squadron series. You can order your Star Fox mates to cover you, attack enemies or follow your lead. You can send orders to Great Fox to attack your enemies. You'll have a limited number of times to do so.
- Star Wolf mode. You'll play as Star Wolf and you have to stop Star Fox to succeed.

Some of these wishlists...yeesh.

Better off wishing for the cure to cancer wrapped in 1,000,000 dollar bills and hand-delivered by 20 harem girls.

I'd be perfectly alright with a Star Fox 64 sequel, with a better frame-rate of course.

Treasure, Smilebit(oh wait they're dead), hell even EAD are all good choices. If I wanted a character-action game instead of a Starfox game I'd consider Kamiya.

EDIT: Oops..dreams. Well I wouldn't want a Starfox game with 100+ missions anyway. I would want the SF64 voice-actors though.

I love the shadow mode StarWolf ideas. I'm going to have to check out Starfox Command. Does it do anything to satisfy the 64 itch?

Neiteio

As per the OP, I really think there's a lot that could be done with the Landmaster missions. They should still be second fiddle to Arwing missions, but if the Landmaster could blast forward with speed reminiscent of the rocket slide in Vanquish, and if it were more mobile in general, I think it would be a lot of fun.

For even more variety, the Landmaster could be amphibious, with a "Blue Marine" mode where it plunges into the water and continues as a submersible... or in other missions, it sticks to the surface of the water and slices surf like a high-speed gunboat.

In other missions, the Landmaster could drive up sheer vertical surfaces, like the side of a skyscraper, and even drive upside-down across ceilings, using anti-gravity treads. There are all kinds of cool scenarios that can be created around Fox's versatile tank.

And imagine how it would translate into the Assault/Warhawk-style multiplayer. A player in an Arwing might chase a weakened Landmaster, only for the tank to dive into the water, go into Blue Marine mode and take a shortcut across the stage via an underwater passage. :)

TransTrender

Gold Member
Jeez guize its スターフォックス, gawd!
4bhV1.jpg

Cody_D165

Banned
All I need is an HD Star Fox that plays like Star Fox 64 but isn't another port of Star Fox 64.

This is all I need, Nintendo.

120v

i just want a legit star fox sequel already... it's nearing two decades since we had a traditional game (i never played the GCN game, i'm guessing that doesn't count). that's pretty ridiculous

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Eh, people refer too much on 64 but it feels slow nowadays.

If anything, it should be a faster-paced railshooter. Maybe the sky levels of Kid Icarus Uprising. Yeah, that's more fitting.

Also people should really try out Assault's multiplayer. That shit blows out even 64's.

MilkBeard

It would basically be like Star Fox 64, just expanded gameplay to fit modern sensibilities. Just the thought of a new HD Starfox that hits all the right notes like 64 did back in the day makes me drool...

npa189

We won't get another as long as Miyamoto is still head of EAD. He doesn't like the franchise and has basically said so. Star Fox is quite possibly my favorite Nintendo franchise but I have no hope for a new installment, ever. Miyamoto said in an Iwata asks about SF64 on 3DS:

"Miyamoto I said, "If first-time players like this game, Star Fox will be reborn!" That's how much I'm counting on this one game!

Iwata The future of Star Fox depends on the reception it finds.

Miyamoto So if there's anyone out there who wants to look at the future, please play this! (laughs) And don't be afraid to use the brake when you play. At the same time, the gyro sensor will adjust your position to that angle, so if you feel misaligned, use the brake."

*sobs into 3DS XL*

Ah, Star Fox. Staaaaaar Fox!

- On-foot missions are stylish character action when all-range
- On-foot missions conclude with 1v1 boss fights, like MGRR
- Fox's legs are enhanced with new cybernetic augmentations
- This references his appearance in the SNES promotional art
- Fox's legs can jackhammer foes, fire missiles, rocket-jump
- Fox wields a variety of firearms, and an extending bō staff

What would your dream Star Fox look like?

I thought what I would want in a Starfox game wouldn't be a Starfox game. But, hey look, someone else thinks like me.

Throw in a Vanquish/GodHand-esqe Melee mode with on hit canceling and you sold me.

Ziocyte

If I'm shooting for the fences with no rules I'm going big! Star Fox was such an important game to me as a child because of the scope. I felt like a pilot. Star Fox 64 was an evolution of that premise; bigger, badder, harder.

As an adult, I would want a new Star Fox to do the same. Blow my mind and put me in a world as a pilot. And of course the way to do this would be a sandbox multi-player experience where you design your animal avatar. Then choose a life of fighting in the fleet or carving out your path as a trader or smuggler or pirate. Make space station hubs you can dock, zoned space exploration and planet exploration. Make Freelancer, but in the Star Fox universe!

This is obviously never going to happen and not really in the spirit of what this thread intended, but I wanted to use this opportunity to vent not only my ideal new Star Fox game, but my personal GOTF if done right! (for the record, I would make myself a badger).

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm curious -

For any of you whose favorite Star Fox games are not the original SNES version, or Star Fox 64:

Which one is it? Why? Is it the first one you've played? What are three gameplay features that define a "Star Fox" game? Why didn't you like the SNES/N64 versions as much?

Terrell

Anything that isn't like Star Fox Command..

I can agree to this. People want Assault and Adventures erased from canon, but I really don't mind those story-wise. Not great, but not terrible. The gameplay, on the other hand, was spotty...

... but NOTHING will erase the taint on my memory that 20 minutes with Command has permanently left on me. Since it didn't have a definitive ending, I think it can easily be abolished from canon.

And in a truly just world, it'd retcon literally everything past 64 out of existence and restart itself from there.

See, this is just going too far.

Star Fox 64 2.

Score composed by Koji Kondo.

That's all I want. Still waiting for a Star Fox 64 sequel.

Why would you want an inferior soundtrack?

I'd rather have the music more like the original which was done by Hajime Hirasawa. The original soundtrack was amazing and so different from the direction they went for the rest of the series.

See, THIS guy gets me. Star Fox music peaked with the first.

Eh, people refer too much on 64 but it feels slow nowadays.

If anything, it should be a faster-paced railshooter. Maybe the sky levels of Kid Icarus Uprising. Yeah, that's more fitting.

Also people should really try out Assault's multiplayer. That shit blows out even 64's.

This brings up an interesting point... people always say that Star Fox can't work in the modern gaming landscape because it's a rail shooter. And to them I say, "yeah, if you only buy games for the single player."

For Star Fox to move forward and evolve, multiplayer has to be at its core, easily.

------------

The hate for on-foot stuff, I can understand it. I don't agree with it, but I understand it. There's nothing wrong with on-foot stuff if it's done WELL, we just have no frame of reference for that. It was really the stiff controls and the free-roaming nature of it and the amount you're asked to engage in it that killed it for me.

Which brings me to my wish list...

- I don't care who makes it, as long as Hajime Hirasawa is at the music helm. His return is long overdue.

- Majority of the game in the Arwings and Landmaster, this I can agree with, with an increased emphasis on stage hazards that were removed in 64

- On-foot segments relegated to short segments ONLY, and geared more towards base infiltrations with stealth elements instead of the nauseating land-to-air stuff; very limited in scope but potentially very entertaining, but they have to be done very well or not at all

- branching paths, as a good Star Fox game should have, including secret paths with unique levels

- epic crazy free-range shootouts

- MULTIPLAYER MULTIPLAYER MULTIPLAYER, for this series to survive, it must rely on this. Stuff like dogfights in the asteroid belt, with crazy stage hazards and even player-neutral antagonists to worry about on top of your opponents, multiplayer specific competitive/co-op missions, Arwing version of "capture the flag" (though I honestly don't know how this would work)... basically a ton of variety and options.

Basically, take all the best parts of Star Wars without the series-specific dramatic elements, make it equally epic without all the Jedi stuff, add anthropomorphized animals and tons of multiplayer stuff outside the story mode.

There's your new Star Fox.

Shinta

Banned
I don't really take that series that seriously, or dream about Star Fox.

If they just make another one on Wii U, I'm more than happy to get it.

I like the combination of Star Fox 64 and FTL. But at the end I want a mix of Star Fox and Star Fox 64. Star Fox for SNES was a tough beast to handle, and Star Fox 64 has this high score system which I love. Anyway, I enjoyed the shit out of Star Fox Adventure and Star Fox Assault, I'd prefer to let Nintendo forget them. Make it a reboot!

Neiteio

I just refined the wish-list in the OP with many new items, and reworded some of the lines for clarity. :)

This is a lot of fun. I love reading everyone's ideas. We may all have different desires, but the passion is the same. :)

Secret Owl

Neo Member
Honestly? I thought Assault was on the right track as far as ways to expand on Star Fox 64. However, it missed the mark in terms of quality.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Honestly? I thought Assault was on the right track as far as ways to expand on Star Fox 64. However, it missed the mark in terms of quality.

From what I recall, the single player was rushed/added on. And that its origins was an arcade game (thus having a great multi)

It shouldn't be too hard to just make an entirely new SNES or N64 style Star Fox game presented within a new galaxy, maybe the one Star Wolf travels to or something. The universe is a hell of alot bigger than the Lylat system... so many possibilities. *cough*
F-Zero
*cough*

FSLink

Banned
A StarFox 64 Prequel ending with Pigma betraying James would be pretty fun if it had the same gameplay (but mostly different planets to travel perhaps)

Just let Treasure do it. Nothing could possibly be wrong with that game.

That and a Captain Falcon beat 'em up are my two dream games from Nintendo at this point.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Just picking some of the suggestions from the thread, adding my own thoughts:

Core:
  • Arwings only
  • SNES Starfox/Wing inspired soundtrack
  • On rails
  • Multiple paths
  • The return of Star Wolf Team
  • Difficulty setting not necessary, make the various paths have more difficult levels instead
  • 60 fps, pls

Optional:

• Multiplayer modes. I'm neither for nor against, but an arena mode would be nice, I guess. Multiplayer in singleplayer campaign might be a bit overkill but could work.
  • Option to play as any team member you like and have the Arwings behave differently/have different weaponry/power ups.
  • Boss rush mode

emag

Just picking some of the suggestions from the thread, adding my own thoughts:

Core:
  • Arwings only
  • SNES Starfox/Wing inspired soundtrack
  • On rails
  • Multiple paths
  • The return of Star Wolf Team
  • Difficulty setting not necessary, make the various paths have more difficult levels instead
  • 60 fps, pls

Fast paced, little to no story and 60 fps. Oh, and remixed music from the original game.

These guys get it. None of that SF64 shit.

Pociask

I really liked the idea about making the Landmaster an amphibious vehicle.

On another tack, I was thinking about how Star Fox had a kind of "coolness" vibe. And while the Landmaster is alright, what's the coolest form of land transportation? Motorcycle, obviously. So replace the Landmaster with a rocket powered motorcycle, which can transform on the fly to a jet-ski like vehicle. Bam.

Of course keep the Arwing as the main focus. Most of the levels with branching paths, but give me some big dog fights, too.

And give me a Great Fox level, too. Just one. Something like the feel of being Mega Mario, combined with some sweet capital ship combat. (Star Fox Assault doesn't exist in my dream Star Fox game universe).

Over-arching story that more than just, "Hey, something showed up, lets shoot it because it's not like us." or "Ape Nazis attack" so the battles have a sense of meaning.

Two types of flying missions.
- rail-style classic Starfox "trench run" sequences
- full open "Ace Combat" style battles
- Screw it, I want the flying missions to play like Rogue Leader...

Landmasters need to have realistic physics, they need that sense of weight.

Squad-based cover-shooter ground missions a la Mass Effect 3, no more of that floaty run and gun shit... you shouldn't control the same as your ship when on the ground.

I'd be all over a game like this...

Anarchy Reign, Vanquish, Metal Gear Rising, arguably W101... And beside Bayonetta in her game, the entire else is ugly/tacky and forgettable.

All the game you mentioned were from Seed. Not platinum games. Their art director must have stayed at capcom.

Opinions, I guess. Although calling W101 generic, even "arguably", is... well, whatever. You are entitled to yours.

Anyhow, I care much more about gameplay than looks, and frankly, it was not Starfox' looks that hooked me in the first place. Hell, some of the levels in Starfox 64 looked ugly and dirty as sin, and yet it was a joy to play. But by all means keep putting them in a holy, unreachable pedestal so you can be bitter and cynical about any sequel, real or imagined, rather than going through the trouble of posting what you would like.

Oersted

Treasure would be perfect for a new Star Fox game.

Not that I'd want it to be like Sin and Punishment or anything but... actually... yes... make it like Sin and Punishment.

They are still the untouched shooterkings. Whatever we imagine, it will be still worse than Treasure Games what would come up with.

Neiteio

They are still the untouched shooterkings. Whatever we imagine, it will be still worse than Treasure Games what would come up with.
To make my wishlist in the OP even dreamier, I went back and amended it to be co-developed by PlatinumGames AND Treasure. :-O

A dream team collaboration! The best-playing and most action-packed action game EVER!

Abounder

Banned
I want a game that includes the Star Fox trilogy in HD graphics (SNES Star Fox games plus N64) with a James McCloud prequel, complete with voice acting and in-game cutscenes.

Mesoian

The on-foot portions of my dream game (which again, only comprise 10% of the levels) would be like the levels in Metal Gear Rising in terms of progression -- very straightforward, from point A to point B. Not so much arena-based. And like the vehicle missions, they would be divided into three parts: on-rails (like Sin & Punishment), all-range (like Metal Gear Rising), and boss battle (the arena fight -- imagine fighting Wolf one-on-one with MGRR-style music and matching lyrics).

And did I mention Fox would have robotic legs for jackhammer kicks, shooting missiles and rocket-jumping? :p

I don't want that.

I want flying. That's it. I have other games for arena combat. Starfox was my game for on rails space shooters.

Neff

Developed by Platinum.
Story and direction by Hideki Kamiya.
Cutscenes by Yûji Shimomura.
Music by Hajime Hirasawa and Masami Ueda.

Gameplay - 30 stages, comprising 18 linear Arwing, 4 dogfight Arwing, 3 Landmaster, 3 Blue Marine, and 2 Great Fox stages (no idea how this would work, but it would be cool). 10 of these stages are hidden. Features branching paths. The route you take determines the last boss you fight and the ending you get. Beating all stages unlocks Arcade Mode, which allows you to play every stage in sequence, albeit shortened and simplified, with its own ridiculously hard boss.

Style - Very arcadey, very fast, very challenging on harder levels. Visuals replicate live action spaceship models and characters based on the SNES box puppets, with awkward, shuffling movements as if operated by hand or held up by strings (strings may even be intentionally, subtly drawn in, and is the sort of replication of a visual gimmick that Nintendo loves to go for).

Neiteio

Why do some of you want more on foot stuff? I don't think it works well with the Arwing gameplay.
Variety. And nobody can say on-foot sections don't work -- only that they haven't worked well the way they've been done so far.

But picture this: For every 10 Arwing missions, you have one on-foot mission, and that on-foot mission plays like Sin & Punishment for the on-rails section, and like a mixture of Bayonetta (stylish character action) and Vanquish (high-speed TPS) for the all-range section, and then the boss section is a one-on-one rival duel in the style of Metal Gear Rising. Would this really be a terrible way to mix things up every 10 Arwing missions? Of course not. It would be welcome variety.

The key is that it's done well -- and certainly that much is possible, with the right developer talent (I.E. PlatinumGames).

Top Bottom