• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR FOX fans — What would be the STAR FOX game of your dreams?

Jaeger

We really need a new Star Fox on console, hell, I'm still salty Ninty skipped the Wii.

Yea, this is the biggest travesty, right here. Rarely do the interesting titles come to consoles anymore, from Nintendo. Every remake and sequel that I have on my wishlist get shoved on the handhelds.

Stop that, please.

thomaser

Can't decide between these alternatives:
- developed by Platinum, directed by Kamiya.
- developed by Nintendo, directed by Sakurai.
- developed by Treasure.

Either would be mindblowingly fantastic. So... why don't we simply get all three?

belmonkey

Something with character models that look like this or better (and with better gameplay / story than Adventures):

Krystal2_zpsc65633bd.png~original

CJCW

On the gameplay front, focus mostly (as in, ~90%) on Arwing stuff, with maybe some Landmaster sections thrown in. Like others have said, keep it like 64 was. NO ON FOOT SECTIONS. I'd also love to see them open up the mission structure greatly, maybe even give the player the freedom to roam around the galaxy a bit. I think something like A Crack in Time's spaceship exploration, with optional planets and sections scattered about.

And please Nintendo, DON'T let Platinum anywhere near my beloved Star Fox.

Something with character models that look like this or better (and with better gameplay / story than Adventures):

Krystal2_zpsc65633bd.png~original

The perfect Star Fox game would have you looking at the butt-end of an Arwing for 99% of the time, with characters only appearing in profile pictures when they're talking. I don't care how good the character models are.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Basically set up like 64, but larger levels, and more branching paths.

Plot-wise, I'd like a reboot...like basically the plot of Star Fox 64. However, I wouldn't mind them adding Krystal (rewriting her story) to appease the newer fans and to have a female character. And keep Pigma as a loose-cannon and Panther among the Star Wolf squad, as he was pretty cool.

Graphics should go for the "puppet" look of the old ads, except a little more appealing, with the cut-scenes being really corny and paying homage to classic Sci-Fi films and such, like how 64 did with Independence Day and such.

Get some decent voice-actors, like Wonderful 101 and Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus did, maybe that same group?

Finally, go for a good Wii U GamePad integration, like make it the cockpit and allow you to quickly see what the other characters are up to, give them orders, talk to them, etc. with a quick tap of the finer.

Also, I think it'd be cool if the Arwings could morph into mechas for the "ALL RANGE MODE!" fights.

I keep throwing 50€ bills at the screen, but nothing is happening!
Seriously, I can't think of anything to add, substract or correct from this. Perhaps reduce the 100 missions to a more reasonable number, as otherwise a lot of retreading might be inevitable. Otherwise, goddamn!

Yeah, whenever I play Okami, Viewtiful Joe or Bayonetta, the first adjectives that spring to my mind are "dull and forgettable". >_>

Anarchy Reign, Vanquish, Metal Gear Rising, arguably W101... And beside Bayonetta in her game, the entire else is ugly/tacky and forgettable.

All the game you mentioned were from Seed. Not platinum games. Their art director must have stayed at capcom.

El Sabroso

- Developed by PlatinumGames, directed by Hideki Kamiya

This only is a guarantee block from Kamiya's twitter.

As for the series this needs a strong focus on online play, which Nintendo lacks a lot and is something that really needs to happen in a Nintendo Game.

I like the idea of having both modes of StarFox, 64 like and on foot combat, which can resemble the Star Fox Assault multiplayer mode as this was actually decent.

atbigelow

Thunderbird-style puppets would be cool, but only if they gave them fun cutscenes and in-cockpit shots.

I only want gameplay to take place inside Arwings. Nothing else. But make a fun, space opera story where you see the characters doing things. Think Nintendo Power comic but you get to play the stages.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I have to wonder though...

Do you think it'd be detrimental to the series if they took it in a new direction and dropped the outdated "talking animals" motif and redesigned the characters instead as humans with animal-motifs? Like Fox would be a normal dude, but with a hair-style that invoked the animal (like the James McCloud racer in F-Zero).

I honestly think it'd help the series sell more and appeal to modern audiences, even if I don't have a problem with it. And you wouldn't really need to change anything else.

I only read the OP so apologies if something similar has been posted.

Air
Open space battles similar to Rogue Squadron II opening level.

Blinding fast on rails levels, but with geometry, think: corridor run on Death Star, F-zero type thing.

Slower paced exploration levels. Just like Descent, for those of you hardcore enough to remember.

Land
Blaster Master 3D. Amphibious upgradeable vehicle for land exploration. Vehicle can turn into climbing mech, all terrain rover and minisub.

On foot
Vanquish combat, Metroid level design/exploration, Mirror's Edge traversal.

This is one of my biggest gaming wishes:

"Open world" prequel game that features James, Pigma, and Peppy and blends RPG elements with arcade style flight combat.

It could take place in a reimagined version of the solar system that Star Fox 64 takes place in. The player would be able to visit each and every world at a whim and the worlds would feature vast cities which serve as places for the player to interact with characters and get missions and side quests. The player could build reputation, customize their ship with various upgrades, build an armada for huge space battles, make relationships(non-sexual) either good or bad that could lead to different story moments in the game, and obviously not feature any on-foot combat.

The missions would be fitted into the arcade style, scrolling action that made 64 so fun, but also feature all range mode for broader missions and what not.

I probably want this game more than any other right now...

Progression like Star Fox 64, but with the ability to play a specific map whenever, after you unlock it. Also like 3 times the levels with the ability for more to be added with DLC. Ship control like Assault. No motion controls.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Did we ever get a real answer as to why Star Fox 2 was canceled?

Wasn't it almost ready to be released?

Why isn't there source code out there? Did Nintendo just throw it in the trash?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-04-born-slippy-the-making-of-star-fox

Star Fox was a critical and commercial success, marking the start of a profitable relationship between Argonaut and Nintendo which would result in several other Super FX-powered titles, including an unreleased SNES sequel. However, while the deal exponentially increased Argonaut's standing within the development community, for San this period holds bittersweet memories. "The three game deal that we had with Nintendo effectively guaranteed us a decent amount of work for several years," he explains. "We grew during that time, but there was also an exclusivity clause which meant that Nintendo pretty much had control of us. We had the benefit of being the only outside company that was working with them for a while, and we were paid our costs, plus a royalty. Nintendo kept telling us to stay small and keep working exclusively for them, but they weren't paying us the serious cash that they were paying other partners. Our agreement with Nintendo was mostly a royalty deal that relied on sales. When we wanted to branch out and do other games, they wouldn't let us until the end of our contract.

"The end came when we pitched to do a 3D platform game, the likes of which had never been done before. We mocked up a prototype using Yoshi. It was essentially the world's first 3D platform game and was obviously a big risk - Nintendo had never let an outside company use their characters before, and weren't about to, either. This is the moment the deal fell apart. We later made that game into Croc: Legend of the Gobbos for the PlayStation, Saturn and PC, which became our biggest ever game in terms of sales and also in royalties, since we owned the IP."

The similarity between Croc and Super Mario 64 isn't lost on San, who feels that the early prototype had some influence on the seminal N64 title. "Miyamoto-san went on to make Mario 64, which had the look and feel of our Yoshi game - but with the Mario character, of course - and beat Croc to market by around a year," San says. "Miyamoto-san came up to me at a show afterwards and apologised for not doing the Yoshi game with us and thanked us for the idea to do a 3D platform game. He also said that we would make enough royalties from our existing deal to make up for it. That felt hollow to me, as I'm of the opinion that Nintendo ended our agreement without fully realising it. They canned Star Fox 2 even though it was finished and used much of our code in Star Fox 64 without paying us a penny.

"They also poached some of our best programmers - Dylan, Giles and Krister - which was inevitable since they had lived in Japan for so long that they weren't going to come home anytime soon. We had taught them 3D games and left them a permanent legacy of being able to make such games. I'm not bitter, but I do feel that Argonaut was used and then spat out by Nintendo. I also feel they undervalued us; we could have done so much more. We had built a Virtual Reality gaming system for them called Super Visor that would've been awesome, but instead they canned our project - which was full colour, had head tracking and 3D texture mapping - and released the ill-fated Virtual Boy in its place."

AndrewPL

If I was designing a star fox game, I think my main goal would be rogue squadron with boss battles and multiple mission paths.

Jaeger

Star Wolf

This man gets me.

And I understand how everyone feels about non-aircraft levels, but I believe if done right, everyone would accept it.

I'm thinking Macross, when I think of a new Star Fox title in terms of storyline. Space Opera, and tons of Itano Laser/Missile shows.

Crisium

I'm okay with a few tank levels. I do not want any on foot, at all. And I will accept one submarine level as an ode to the 64 level. I believe they can do it right.

Just make it like 64, slightly longer, and with multiple difficulty levels. Even offer a Wiimote control scheme where you fly by tilting the controller - although I'd prefer if the game were balanced around Analog and this was simply an extra.

Neiteio

On-foot levels can work great as a way to break up the vehicle missions and keep things fresh. Like I said, if we were to use "100 missions" as the pie-in-the-sky target, the level breakdown would go something like 70 Arwing missions, 20 Landmaster missions, and 10 on-foot missions.

And we've never had on-foot Star Fox levels by a company as talented at character action as Platinum Games. They'd take the handful of on-foot levels and make them ridiculously fun. Picture this: Fox running around on robo-legs, attacking like Durga in Anarchy Reigns. Good stuff, and only a small portion of a game that otherwise focuses on Arwing missions.

Crisium

100 missions is way too high for me. It might sound ridiculous, but I like the relatively short playthrough time of SF64. 64 has 15 levels, but many have multiple routes. I want them to keep the multiple route idea, and simply give us a little bit more. Not 100 though. I'd much rather have 20-30 better designed, less forgettable levels.

Obviously you can have 100 levels that are as good as 25, but given limited personnel, budget, and most importantly time... often less is more. The time spent building another 75 levels would instead go to perfect enemy placement and style (and multiple routes) on simply 25.

Neiteio

100 missions is way too high for me. It might sound ridiculous, but I like the relatively short playthrough time of SF64. 64 has 15 levels, but many have multiple routes. I want them to keep the multiple route idea, and simply give us a little bit more. Not 100 though. I'd much rather have 20-30 better designed, less forgettable levels.

Obviously you can have 100 levels that are as good as 25, but given limited personnel, budget, and most importantly time... often less is more. The time spent building another 75 levels would instead go to perfect enemy placement and style (and multiple routes) on simply 25.
I chose the "100 levels" number because 1) it's a dream scenario, and 2) it's easily divisible to show the ratio of Arwing, Landmaster and on-foot levels. :)

But let's say they did somehow make 100 levels -- you wouldn't see them all in a single playthrough. Like I said in the other bullet-point in the OP, there would be branching paths, just like your trip through the Lylat System in Star Fox 64. So there might be 100 levels overall -- but on any given playthrough, you'd only go through 50 of them, or maybe an even more efficient route could reach the ending in 30 missions or less.

Crisium

I thought of an idea:

I'd love to see the game do branching paths the same way Guardian Heroes (Saturn, XBLA) does. Not only do you travel to different locations, but the plot changes considerably based on your choices. Different characters die, different factions come to power, and a different villain at the end. SF64 did this slightly with the Star Wolf encounters and to an extent the final boss, but imagine the whole game like that. Guardian Heroes still had that arcady feel, so much different story paths doesn't have to mean nonstop dialogue scenes.

Moff

I know I'm weird, but I really liked starfox command
all I want is an improved sequel for the 3DS, with better level design

Neiteio

I edited my wishlist in the OP with a few new ideas, including a final confrontation where you pilot a transformable Great Fox, and the inclusion of the hitherto unreleased Star Fox II for the SNES as an unlockable bonus option on the main menu. :)

Lazaro

I'd like to see Sub-bosses that appear during middle of the level or whenever.

Also personally I want Space Armada from StarFox/Starwing SNES remade or remastered for this new StarFox game. It appeared as a Smash Bros. Brawl Stage so you could see how much more epic it could be in a Wii U StarFox game.

Jaeger

I edited my wishlist in the OP with a few new ideas, including a final confrontation where you pilot a transformable Great Fox, and the inclusion of the hitherto unreleased Star Fox II for the SNES as an unlockable bonus option on the main menu. :)

I say us GAFers get together, and make it ourselves. And if Nintendo puts the stop on it, we change up some things, and let it become it's own brand new IP, complete with a Kickstarter campaign.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
As was already said, the original game with the original art direction, original feeling music (64 music has nothing on the original music) and ONLY ARWINGS. (But I'll allow the tank and submarine if the levels dictate) No foot missions. No endless wandering around. And it needs to be mostly on rails with some free movement areas. Basically a mishmash of the SNES game and the N64 game.

And as a bonus, a HD upgrade of the original game with the original low-poly flat shaded models redone in HD like Sega Ages 2600 Virtua Racing and the original soundtrack redone with an orchestra or something. No other changes necessary. Keep it as vanilla as possible while making it look as good as possible with a retro feel.

Layell

The biggest missed opportunity of Star Fox Command was that the different pilots and their Arwings couldn't be used in multiplayer, just give us 64 style branching paths, choose pilots or Arwing customization and multiplayer with customization.

Mista Koo

I'm not exactly a Star Fox fan. But I would like to see Star Fox become more arcady and go all out with a mecha genre presentation wise.
Imagine Arwing launches being all over the top from the pilot buckling up, checking their screens/controls, to the hatch opening, engines starting, etc.

RedSwirl

Look, just, take what Nintendo accomplished with Star Fox 64 and evolve from there.

I guess that depends on what you think the "core" of Star Fox is. I happen to think the core appeal is making you think you are IN a squadron of fighters in space. That core appeal with Star Fox could actually do some great things with the GamePad.

Yagami_Sama

I really that keep the game like the SNES / N64 version and never again do something like Star Fox Assault, that ridiculous amount of on foot missions devastated the game, in my opinion.

Bring back the old glorious days of star Fox 64, with a global leader board and it good enough for me.

Arttemis

A game just like 64.

Keep it simple, I don't care if I can finish the game in 2 hours.

Like 64, with more, longer missions. But it won't happen :(

These. The N64 game is the closest thing to perfection for the genre, if you ask me. The great gameplay in awesomely varied environments, the branching paths, the varied mission styles. It's phenomenal even today (as are the Rogue Squadron games), and I'd buy the platform a true sequel releases on.

Also, why Arwing only? The tank and sub missions were just as intense and similarly controlled as the linear flying ones, That said, fuck ANYTHING on-foot. Keep it arcade style.

I think a Star Fox game could really take advantage of the Wii U Gamepad. You could use its motion-sensing abilities to help steer the craft and maybe have additional ship controls (i.e., shields, weapons) on the touch screen.

I actually kind of liked Star Fox Adventures and would like to see more on-foot stages as well, though perhaps not for the entire game.

Part of the appeal of Starfox64 is it's short length, so I'm a little bit torn.

If you take StarFox 64 and make it bigger and grander you basically get StarFox Assault. And then the game is too long to have the arcade-like replayability of 64.

The problem is I just want more StarFox 64 but I already think the game is perfect. I'm killing the ability for the franchise to grow and evolve.

Maybe Starfox needs a spinoff series so we can allow it to explore new gameplay types outside of the mainline iterations. StarFox Assault and Adventures are great ideas with mixed execution. But I still want my StarFox64 successor.

StarFox64 2 would be short. Make it twice as long as 64 at most. There would be branching paths and lots of them. The emphasis would be on replayability and refinement of performance. It would keep the weapon power-up and ring mechanics from 64 but expand on them. In my opinion one of the biggest weaknesses of Assault was the decreased emphasis on items, which made the flying gameplay feel dumbed-down in comparison to 64. There could and probably should be new vehicle types, but they must match with the core gameplay (like Landmaster and submarine instead of on-foot). They would also largely be gimmick one-off stages. Each stage must feel unique or there's no reason for it to exist. This game must be as incredibly tightly directed as the original with no bloat. If the game needs added value do so with multiplayer modes.

In other words a slightly expanded upon Starfox64 with lots of branching and cool new items.

Have you seen the Star Swarm beta?

I want that to be Star Fox... literally thousands of AI run ships in a non-static battle with free range flights? Yes please!

iuxion

Arwing only. Keep the action fast.

The submarine level in 64 kills me. Even on the 3DS it is choppy and flat-out terrible.

Top Bottom