• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stand and be counted: SEGA Mega Drive or SEGA Genesis?

Which name kicks more ass?

• Team Mega Drive

Votes: 129 57.8%
  • Team Genesis

Votes: 94 42.2%

• Total voters

JordanN

Banned
Legendary console, yet two region exclusive names.

Who had the superior name?

BQL2NU4.jpg

JwiToW4.jpg
fPrSgSW.jpg

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
Mega Drive always sounded kind of generic to me, even back then. I still had my original Genesis and Sega CD about 5 years ago...
Genesis surprised me backed then because I thought of the bible.

"Why would you name your console after the first book?"

Of course, that didn't deter me from playing it.

Reactions: Isa

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Genesis was the perfect name they had to use due to a trademark in the States, because it was literally one of the first consoles we seen over here where we were like, “oh yeah graphics will really improve every gen.”

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I'm brazilian, so mine was a Tec-Toy Mega Drive II.

And that was my first real console of my own, so I take it very seriously.

It's funny because it says "HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS" right on top of it. And this was way before HDTVs, or anything remotely resembling that. They predicted the exact name.

Vawn

Banned
Genesis surprised me backed then because I thought of the bible.

"Why would you name your console after the first book?"

Of course, that didn't deter me from playing it.

It definitely would have made more since to have named the Master System the Genesis.

Saber

Gold Member
Mega Drive is a way better name. It implies the greatest level of a form, pretty much like Digimon.

The Fartist

Gold Member
Mega Drive? Get that shit out of here.

Genesis was, first and foremost, an American console. All of its success was due to Sega of America‘s leadership, western developers, and American consumers.

Fuck off, Sega of Japan, you incompetent fucking parasites.
I don't know what's more bad ass, your post or your avatar.

TLZ

Banned
Mega Drive? Get that shit out of here.

Genesis was, first and foremost, an American console. All of its success was due to Sega of America‘s leadership, western developers, and American consumers.

Fuck off, Sega of Japan, you incompetent fucking parasites.
The same American leadership that flooded the market with a million attachments instead of just waiting and releasing the new console?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I had both a master system and a genesis at one point But we all called it genesis. (I also know girls named genesis)

Chiggs

The same American leadership that flooded the market with a million attachments instead of just waiting and releasing the new console?

Probably because they didn’t believe in the piece of shit Saturn, designed by Sega of Japan, which featured TWO (count ‘em) shitty CPUs, that when combined, still got their shit pushed in by the Sony PlayStation. This, after turning down a chance to work with SGI, but ultimately rejecting that piece of kit because some twat wanted to make sure the Saturn had some pricey Yamaha sound chip in it.

Yes, I truly hope the score that is played during Panzer Dragoon’s first level was worth getting bent over a pinball machine by Sony.

In fact, let us all stop and acknowledge Sega of Japan for being the company to really cement the now time-honored tradition of getting your shit pushed in by Sony
. Without Sega of Japan’s limp-dick efforts, Sony would have never turned into the gaming powerhouse they are today.

Nice job, Sega of Japan!

Last edited:
The Sega Mega Drive was first ever console, and I remember until this very day on when that day happened.

My dad came back from a flea market with a used Mega Drive that came with two games: Space Harrier & Phantasy Star IV.

Let it be known that the most I've seen at the time was the original gameboy as I was living in Wellington at the time - so gaming wasn't as prominent.

My dad buying me a console was the start of my interests in the hobby of gaming.

Thinking about it makes me want to go home and visit my family so I can see my dad and tell him I love him, not gonna lie.

Top Bottom