• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stadia

Stadia

• Will die in 2021

Votes: 154 37.9%
  • Will die before the next gen (PS6)

Votes: 158 38.9%
  • Will be kinda sucessful

Votes: 67 16.5%
  • Will beat the PS5

Votes: 27 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This article is so poorly written..

Maybe on GeForce now; but on Stadia the game runs nowhere near "high" settings, and has no ray tracing.. which this article tries to frame as being important at the beginning then hand-waves it away for Stadia.

jzbxy326n9561.png

Why would I ever want to use a service like GeForce now where I have to wait in line to play?

Stadia isn't going to compare to a solid gaming PC but if your FPS is unstable Stadia might be a better alternative, especially if you don't have an Xbox Series X.

EpOpuhtXUAIVtZD

The image quality is great:

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Still, in my opinion there's an important image quality difference between the 4k Stadia stream (be it 1600P or whatever it is), and the 1080P GeForceNow stream. I don't think the RTX/higher density of the Geforce now is really an advantage when compared to the 4K Stadia stream.

Over 32' TV: 4K Stadia > Geforce Now

Mobiles/Tablets: Geforce Now > 4K Stadia

The 1.04 patch seems to have fixed some image quality issues I noticed in the performance mode on Stadia. It was actually something I also noticed in comparatives on the Series X version as well prior to the latest patch on the Series X.

The latest patches fixed some of the overall blurriness of the game world, particularly around unnamed NPCS at distance and up close. The Stadia patch confirms my suspicions about this. Performance mode now looks a lot better and seems to maintain stable 60fps pretty well.

jzbxy326n9561.png

Why would I ever want to use a service like GeForce now where I have to wait in line to play?

Stadia isn't going to compare to a solid gaming PC but if your FPS is unstable Stadia might be a better alternative, especially if you don't have an Xbox Series X.

EpOpuhtXUAIVtZD

The image quality is great:

ouch. Stadia running cyberpunk better than PS5? Wtf

Big image quality fixes in 1.04 for Stadia. It's weird that this isn't in the patch notes. Oddly, you can see the same kind of blurriness/haziness issues in the Series X version of Cyberpunk pre-patch in this vid:

Murdoch

Probably the biggest Achilles heel of Stadia is patch management. As an example, all platforms except Stadia are running Cyberpunk patch 1.04, while Stadia is still at 1.02 and it doesn’t look that will change anytime soon (and please, don’t give me the shit-line that the Stadia version is not buggy)

It's running 1.04 already?

Fat Frog

A product that’s more niche than the Wii U because of the requirements was never going to get a look in with the established console giants. Not even Google can magically give everyone amazing internet, so it’s an instant failure. Maybe in 10-20 years, but even then it’s hardly going to take off in areas without high speed internet when they can buy a disc for another console.
That's what i thought.
In fact, many european countries are quickly abandoning copper networks because it's more expensive. Spain has already over 60% of optic internet. My country is almost at 30% but the end of copper is scheduled for 2023 and they didn't lie (optic cables just arrived near my city in a little town of 10000 people... it's growing soooo fast. In addition, average connections like mine are already decent for Stadia...

Fiber in Asia is huge (don't know who will take advantage of it, but the market is gigantic. In 2017, 80% of chinese villages had optic cable internet !!!)

Sure America is late (only 10% + data cap) but many countries all over the world have opportunities for cloud gaming)

Last edited:

G-Bus

Banned
Cyberpunk enticed me enough to give Stadia a try. Went with the pro package for the free month. Got me $10 off cyberpunk so what ever.

Did a quick browse of the free games they offer for pro subs and claimed risk of rain 2 and super hot. Two games I've wanted to play for a while now. Nothing else of interest on the quick scroll through.

Only played for an hour or two and it's funny seeing this game run on a 10 year old laptop. Have decent internet and everything runs smoothly. So far I'm impressed with how well it works. Forgot I was even streaming the game until I quit and I'm back to the chrome browser.

Going to keep an eye on how much data I'm using to see if I even need the unlimited. $15 for that plus the $12/m for stadia plus the price of games.... Not so sure.

Koolhandmike

Neo Member
Overall, I'm enjoying the Stadia but it absolutely eats data. Especially when cranked up to 4K/60 FPS. A typical day I'll use about 15-20 gigs but my highest in a single gaming session was almost 60 gigs. Unlimited is the only way to go if I want to keep gaming on this platform.

So yeah, I think it will be kind of successful.

borborygmus

We're fortunate the tech isn't sufficiently performant to replace self-owned hardware, because streaming opens the door to some very cynical corporate practices.

I voted "before ps6" because Google's business decisions are opaque and counterintuitive and normally I'd expect them to pull the plug now, and they never do what I expect, but this thing definitely has no future unless we suddenly learn how to do quantum entangled data transfers.

Last edited:

Thanati

Probably the biggest Achilles heel of Stadia is patch management. As an example, all platforms except Stadia are running Cyberpunk patch 1.04, while Stadia is still at 1.02 and it doesn’t look that will change anytime soon (and please, don’t give me the shit-line that the Stadia version is not buggy)
No, Stadia’s version has also been patched to the latest.

PrimeX

Stadia is in my mind for quite some time now. As I am not prepared to invest in any of the new gen consoles, but I still want to enjoy some games like Doom Eternal or CP, Stadia could be what I need.
I have some doubts though and maybe you guys could ease them up:
- Is that Stadia controller any good or should I wait for PS5 controller support? As far as I know the PS5 controller is not compatible yet
- For a 65" OLED is the visual quality in general any good? I know is a game-based question but do you enjoy the visuals or not?
- I am puzzled by the subscription type. Once I pay the monthly fee, I can play any game from Stadia or just some minor releases and the big games I still have to buy?

Thanati

Stadia is in my mind for quite some time now. As I am not prepared to invest in any of the new gen consoles, but I still want to enjoy some games like Doom Eternal or CP, Stadia could be what I need.
I have some doubts though and maybe you guys could ease them up:
- Is that Stadia controller any good or should I wait for PS5 controller support? As far as I know the PS5 controller is not compatible yet
- For a 65" OLED is the visual quality in general any good? I know is a game-based question but do you enjoy the visuals or not?
- I am puzzled by the subscription type. Once I pay the monthly fee, I can play any game from Stadia or just some minor releases and the big games I still have to buy?
I really like the stadia controller as it feels similar to the original Xbox 360 (although not quite as good but there again, nothing is :) )

you can play in either 720, 1080 or 4K and the visual quality is great.

the payment option IS confusing. If you pay $9.99 you get access to a load of free games every month and that’s where you get the 4K. However, you still need to buy any other game; Cyberpunk for example.

the free tier gets you access to the streaming but no free games and you have to buy the games. Also, free is only 1080.

hope this helps!

Agent X

P PrimeX , I think T Thanati did a great job of answering your questions.

I myself can't shed much light on your first two questions myself. I usually play from a laptop PC with a 15" 1080p screen, using a PS4 DualShock 4 controller. I will say that on my setup, the image quality is excellent

Stadia Pro gets you up to 4K streaming, and an "instant collection" of games, kind of like PlayStation Now or Xbox Game Pass. There are roughly 30 games in the library now. They usually add about 4-6 new games a month, and remove a few as well...but any games that you've previously added are still linked to your account as long you have an active Stadia Pro subscription (so it's like PlayStation Plus or Xbox Games with Gold, in that regard).

For the free tier, you only have access to games that you purchased. That said, apparently Destiny 2 and Super Bomberman R Online (and I think Crayta, too) can be "purchased" and played in some capacity for free.

Stadia Pro has a free trial, so you could give it a try and see how it works with your current hardware arrangement. Or, if you don't want to do that, maybe try and access one of the games I mentioned in the paragraph above.

aries_71

Ah sorry no, you’re right. 1.05 is coming. They’d just updated 1.04.

It was just updated to version 1.05 today. Faster than I thought probable.

I have to say that I’m very impressed with Stadia. Almost 40 hours at Cyberpunk and had zero crashes. I’ ll repeat that, zero crashes.

Impressive.

Last edited:

Thanati

It was just updated to version 1.05 today. Faster than I thought probable.

I have to say that I’m very impressed with Stadia. Almost 40 hours at Cyberpunk and had zero crashes. I’ ll repeat that, zero crashes.

Impressive.
Ah, thanks for the update....on the....update :)

I’ll try it out this evening. Nice not having to download an update and it’s just there.

same here for crashes, I’ve had zero. Encountered quite a few funny bugs though :)

Fat Frog

Ah, thanks for the update....on the....update :)

I’ll try it out this evening. Nice not having to download an update and it’s just there.

same here for crashes, I’ve had zero. Encountered quite a few funny bugs though :)
To be honest, I finally had a very bad experience with Stadia a few days ago (second run of the 1.04 patch), i had sound glitches, and slowdown every 5 minutes (with a weak 15 mbps non optic connection). It was quite awful but tonight i just had my best experience. (1.05 patch ?)
The IQ was just ok (while the graphics were very good) but the animation, the latency were silky smooth, it was like local play without any framedrops, crashes or anything (never had crashes though). Keep in mind i don't have optic cable (yet). My only concern was the UI, it's so fucking small...

Thanati

To be honest, I finally had a very bad experience with Stadia a few days ago (second run of the 1.04 patch), i had sound glitches, and slowdown every 5 minutes (with a weak 15 mbps non optic connection). It was quite awful but tonight i just had my best experience. (1.05 patch ?)
The IQ was just ok (while the graphics were very good) but the animation, the latency were silky smooth, it was like local play without any framedrops, crashes or anything (never had crashes though). Keep in mind i don't have optic cable (yet). My only concern was the UI, it's so fucking small...
Yeah, the UI on cyberpunk is awful! Also, red text on a black background. Let’s pick the worst colors for UI design :)

aries_71

Hey, fellow Stadians, new Pro games are out. I’ve been playing Figment, a nice little adventure game. Highly recommend.

Romulus

I couldn't navigate the main screen to start the free trial or anything. It just keeps bringing me back to the main menu with all the suggestions about connection and controller issues. It was the most confusing site I've ever used. I signed up to use the free trial and it was just a loop of confusion on how to get it to work. My ps4 controller didn't work, nothing and I easily use it on steam or other sites, can't scroll on the store to look at games when I just seconds before was surfing on other sites fine.. Fuck this.

Agent X

I couldn't navigate the main screen to start the free trial or anything. It just keeps bringing me back to the main menu with all the suggestions about connection and controller issues. It was the most confusing site I've ever used.

That's strange. I use a DualShock 4 connected to a USB port on my PC. Stadia recognizes it as soon as I flick a stick.

Are you attempting to access Stadia using the Chrome browser? If you're using a different browser, then that could be the problem.

Romulus

That's strange. I use a DualShock 4 connected to a USB port on my PC. Stadia recognizes it as soon as I flick a stick.

Are you attempting to access Stadia using the Chrome browser? If you're using a different browser, then that could be the problem.

Yes chrome. I checked for an update too. I use my ds4 for steam too with no problem.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Will die in 2021 ??

that poll result tho nr1 pick
damn gaf time machine :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

Fat Frog

Today Google is hiring engineers for Stadia. (it seems locked they won't close the service in december then).

45% of Gaf is already fired.

The two realistic remaining choices are:

- Stadia will die before the Playstation 6.
(not impossible at all since the profits seems kinda low and Google is not a patient company)

- Stadia will be kknda successful.
I still bet on this one since the small Stadia community buy a lot of game and is very vocal. Could be enough to maintain the service alive until the youtube click and play in 2022 (won't be a tsunami though since it won't be the complete open version), the next gen games and the expansion to many others countries. (3-5 millions users isn't huge but Stadia is only in 22 countries and their marketing wasn't clear, efficient)

Fat Frog

BREAKING NEWS:

GOOGLE ACQUIRED TAKE 2, GTA VI CONFIRMED AS STADIA EXCLUSIVE. MORE DETAILS HERE.

Stadia is on a roll and double dip on partnerships:

xnaov8k2wq381.jpg

@moderators
On January 1st 2022, please ban the 45% of gaf voters for two months("Stadia will die in 2021") or leave them the possibility to change their avatar (a Stadia logo for 2 months of course)

Same punishment for the Stadia believers if the service die before 2022.

Place your bets and vote, suckers ! 🤪

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Stadia should succeed and be a real competitor in a generation or two as long as Google doesn't can it.

Fat Frog

Stadia should succeed and be a real competitor in a generation or two as long as Google doesn't can it.
Stadia could die or be rebranded (like google music) but the app just arrived on LG, Sharp TVs and Click to play is set for 2022, it would be stupid to stop right now...

I think they'll observe their service for 2 more years before to decide anything...

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I think the fact that it's still operating is a testament to just how little it takes to keep operating. Might be around forever just due to that......

Fat Frog

Captain Toad Captain Toad SoggyBiscuit SoggyBiscuit kretos kretos reforen reforen GreatnessRD GreatnessRD

Sorry, guys. You lost... (if you voted for the 2021 death of Stadia, then ask the moderators for a ban. If you have dignity, of course 😋)

Two options for you:
- 2 months ban
- Using the beautiful following avatar on gaf for 2 months:
190607-logo-stadia.jpg

Of course, if Stadia dies in 2022, i'll use this avatar:
QM09Ksz_d.webp

State of Stadia 2022:

That's true Stadia lost a battle at the video games award: Phil Harrison deserted the place.

That said, Stadia won two major victories with the LG/Samsung integration.

Yes, GFN also did it but Stadia has this time a tremendous advantage: convenience.
The mass audience already struggles to use the search bar on netflix with a remote controller, imagine the disaster with all the fucking random login of GFN...

Your wife, your daughter don't care about Steam compatibility, RTX3080 tier, Raytracing, G-synch 33KTR26 whatever Xtra lag killer...

They want to click and play.(Your daughter using GFN: "15 minutes queue ? Daaad, i don't understand, it's not working 😭")
Some gamers don't get it, it's simple as that. That's why 2022 will be an important year for Stadia with click to play on youtube and the smart TV integrations.

I don't know if Stadia will survive 2023 but they are clearly doing a better job (if you look at mass market possibilities)

Last edited:

Zimmy68

The best that Stadia is doing is coasting.
Over the holidays there were lots of heavy discounting on the hardware but nothing for the Pro membership.
Let me enjoy some Pro benefits and discounts to see if I want to get back into it.
But if you used a Pro promotion before they wouldn't let you get it again. Even for a month.
That is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I keep forgetting this exsist's, i only remembered because Samsung will include it alongside NFT's on there new gen TV's.

Honestly if Stadia is included as a service for the big name smart TV's with an inbox controller I could realistically see it working if they adopt a gamepass approach alongside there game purchases. They need a large library of games to prove to people using it that the service consistantly works before people will start buying.

Also how did a thread about predicting the death of stadia twist into the topics OP crying out for mods to ban who ever voted it would die in 2021 for 2 months?

Last edited:
Captain Toad Captain Toad SoggyBiscuit SoggyBiscuit kretos kretos reforen reforen GreatnessRD GreatnessRD

Sorry, guys. You lost... (if you voted for the 2021 death of Stadia, then ask the moderators for a ban. If you have dignity, of course 😋)

Two options for you:
- 2 months ban
- Using the beautiful following avatar on gaf for 2 months:
190607-logo-stadia.jpg

Of course, if Stadia dies in 2022, i'll use this avatar:
QM09Ksz_d.webp

State of Stadia 2022:

That's true Stadia lost a battle at the video games award: Phil Harrison deserted the place.

That said, Stadia won two major victories with the LG/Samsung integration.

Yes, GFN also did it but Stadia has this time a tremendous advantage: convenience.
The mass audience already struggles to use the search bar on netflix with a remote controller, imagine the disaster with all the fucking random login of GFN...

Your wife, your daughter don't care about Steam compatibility, RTX3080 tier, Raytracing, G-synch 33KTR26 whatever Xtra lag killer...

They want to click and play.(Your daughter using GFN: "15 minutes queue ? Daaad, i don't understand, it's not working 😭")
Some gamers don't get it, it's simple as that. That's why 2022 will be an important year for Stadia with click to play on youtube and the smart TV integrations.

I don't know if Stadia will survive 2023 but they are clearly doing a better job (if you look at mass market possibilities)
Are you seriously bragging about the "success" of Stadia?

Wooxsvan

it has a massive game issue. it's a really good service from a technical point. but I can't play loads of games I want and new releases are looking dire. what games are announced for release in 2022 (Beside UBI soft published!)??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom