• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stadia rejected Hideo Kojima's proposal to create an exclusive horror game for the platform

bender

What time is it?
GwyI.gif

EDMIX

Damn theses guys are fucking stupid. So one of the biggest developers in the industry wants to create a exclusive horror title ONLY on their platform.

Be like "could be bad for business sir" /s

They don't know what they want.

Sejan

It’s definitely best that they turned him down considering that they’ve cancelled all their games.

Arachnid

It was probably a funding thing. I'm betting Kojima wanted some pretty big bucks to make his game. That with horror being more niche? They probably didn't think it'd give enough return.

That said, fuck Stadia. GOAT Kojima is wasted on them.

Last edited:

Bridges

I can't believe we lost Savage Planet 2. Why even buy the studio if you don't want them following up the only thing they're known for.

At least they won't be scooping up any more devs but shit, Typhoon Studios proved themselves to be way too talented to be kept on this kind of leash.

It was probably a funding thing. I'm betting Kojima wanted some pretty big bucks to make his game. That with horror being more niche? They probably didn't think it give enough return.

That said, fuck Stadia. GOAT Kojima is wasted on them.

This. There's a reason Koji was there - and it wasn't because he was keen on the "cloud gaming space" it's because he smelled big money and thought he could get a ridiculous deal.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
What an odd thread lol.
I did not expect any forum ever to make more fun of Kojima than Phil Harrison, but here we are.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Phil Harrison is a tool who got lucky by being in the right place at the right time once in a career of failures.

Let me just state from experience that Sony's UK management was never particularly good, for every decent producer there were 3 fuckwits who's only apparent skillset was covering their and their cronies backs while they tried to ooze up the corporate ladder.

packy34

Kojima had its prime on MGS4. From there it went all downhill.

Since Death Stranding was a massive failure, and Kojima Productions brand tarnished, its no wonder they rejected Kojima.

I'm not defending Google's shitty decissions on Stadia, but I think this one is one of the few (if any) good ones.

I don't know why some of you keep praising him, when he should've retired when he was on his peak (like Miyamoto or Yu Suzuki).

Death Stranding was not a massive failure and Sony was not unhappy with the game or its sales. I'm not sure where this weird alternate reality is coming from. Despite some initial pushback from critics, the game still reviewed in the mid 80s and was even more positively received on PC, currently sitting above 90% positive on Steam. People like the game.

supernova8

Banned
They probably would've been shit games anyway. Kojima is not an idiot he would quickly work out hardly anybody at Stadia gives a shit either way.

Thanati

You‘ve probably seen my posts praising Stadia and how much I enjoy using it etc. But trying to defend this system now is just way too difficult. After all the crap we’ve heard about Google’s handling of things over the past month, I’ve completely lost faith in it. I even cancelled my pro subscription. Don’t get me wrong, I still think streaming tech is the future but Google has zero idea what they’re doing.

I signed up for GeForce Now for six months to try it and now have access to a load of my steam games in the cloud. It’s great!

As crazy as it seems to reject Kojima, I suppose I could see it if they had other projects in the works since horror is a bit of a niche genre.

But with the rumour that Stadia offered tens of millions for a port of RDR2 it seems more likely that they are just waving their dick around with no clue what they are doing.

Not surprising. Kojima is well known to take forever and to keep changing and asking for more money to add new things to a game and it can go forever until someone stops him. Phil said, fuck this.

Hugare

Smart choice

Stadia is already loosing too much money as is.

Dont need Kojima wasting $500M on a horror project that will sell not even 1M units.

I love Kojima, but he's expensive as fuck, and Death Stranding didnt sell all that well.

Horror games dont usually sell much, Stadia is a mess ...

It would be a waste of money

And I dont think that I need to mention how saying "No" to Yu Suzuki was a good thing, right?

Last edited:

Pejo

Stadia rejected proposals from 2 of gaming's biggest con artists. They not so dumb after all.
Exactly. Stadia is full of bad ideas but giving Kojima and Suzuki a budget and a schedule and having them stick to it is not...easy.

Reactions: e&e

synce

Google was smart here. After Death Stranding I'd hesitate to hire this guy, and Suzuki's last game was also one of his worst.

Reactions: e&e

Kagey K

Banned
Can you imagine all the money money Google would have spent waiting for a Kojima game?

Would have been a enormous waste of resources. You only hire him when you need to waste money and don’t give a fuck where it goes.

longdi

Banned
DS was quite efficiently released and it has its charm and quirky intricacies. Granted GG provided Kojipro the engine foundation and all.

Thats the thing, DS despite the critics, plays and felt more unique than the UC/HZD/SM/TLOU/GOT....you know those highly profitable games that Jimbo craved....they do play out rather familiar and templatey...not sure if thats a fun thing going forward..

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
"A hundred million for A GAME?! These dudes from.. where you from guys?... Nevermind... Do it for less than 20k man, they've done great mobile content like smash the button and jump the wall, you know, what actual people play these days"

DS was quite efficiently released and it has its charm and quirky intricacies. Granted GG provided Kojipro the engine foundation and all.

Thats the thing, DS despite the critics, plays and felt more unique than the UC/HZD/SM/TLOU/GOT....you know those highly profitable games that Jimbo craved....they do play out rather familiar and templatey...not sure if thats a fun thing going forward..

are you insane?

those games play nothing alike and their only commonality is that they have high production values

if there wasn’t the slight chance that Kojima was signing with Xbox you’d be shitting all over death stranding. I’m sure your post history probably does somewhere

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
Getting rejected by the abject failure that is Google Stadia.
As if I needed more proof of how much of a hack Kojima really is.

longdi

Banned
are you insane?

those games play nothing alike and their only commonality is that they have high production values

if there wasn’t the slight chance that Kojima was signing with Xbox you’d be shitting all over death stranding. I’m sure your post history probably does somewhere

I never shit on DS at all. You can check it.
I fully support the game.
So im glad Kojipro has another chance if they worked with MS as rumored.

johnjohn

are you insane?

Death Stranding was shit. A horror game is the only genre from Kojima that would be interesting.

nkarafo

I'm more worried about Kojima being interested in cloud gaming and willing to do a Stadia exclusive horror game.

Just give us the horror game you always wanted to make for consoles man.

cireza

Banned
Horror component was actually provided by a Stadia feature : lag.

I wonder why they rejected the idea...

yurinka

Sony, go a fund these Kojima and Suzuki games, make them PlayStation exclusive and buy Kojipro.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I mean it depends on what Kojima expected. If he wanted to create a 100mil+ game for them, then I'm not surprised they refused. If it was going to be a smaller, episodic project, then they're stupid for not having him for marketing seasons.

Doczu

The Stadia would be dead and buried the time the first episode came out.
Sorry, but Kojima needs a fucking leash and a whip to work, not a big budget and no questions asked.
And how cool the idea and world was in Dearh Stranding it is not a masterpiece.

I played several hours games on Stadia during the beta. It worked fairly well, but disconnected about once an hour. I don’t know if that was in their end or my connection.

I still prefer having my game files local, and probably always will. But, it’s a shame they mismanaged the service from day 1.

Rien

Jelly Belly
So changes are getting bigger that the MS collab rumors are having some merit to them.

The Google cloud gaming division cancelled a multiplayer game led by a former Assassin’s Creed creative, a sequel to Journey to the Savage Planet and backed out of proposals for Hideo Kojima (Death Stranding) and Yu Suzuki (Outrun) to create exclusive games for Stadia, the sources said.
Kojima dodged a silver bullet here.

But google dodged a silver nuke with Yu Suzuki though.

The interesting thing to note here is that Kojima is shopping around - Did Sony not accept a new deal after Death Stranding?
I don't particularly like Death Stranding and it hasn't really lit up the charts either so maybe his new project is equally as risky or more.
That said it looks bad if Stadia of all platforms rejects you.
That's just insane

Top Bottom