• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stadia rejected Hideo Kojima's proposal to create an exclusive horror game for the platform

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

Dypx6C5PhL9gNuf8JLtQTV.jpeg

The Google cloud gaming division cancelled a multiplayer game led by a former Assassin’s Creed creative, a sequel to Journey to the Savage Planet and backed out of proposals for Hideo Kojima (Death Stranding) and Yu Suzuki (Outrun) to create exclusive games for Stadia, the sources said.
In a statement published on February 1, the company said that this year it would be refocusing on offering its technology and platform tools to external partners. This would see the company close all its internal Stadia game development teams, it said.

The Kojima Productions project is understood to have been positioned as an episodic horror game. Sources indicated that the Japanese studio was keen to innovate in the cloud gaming space, but the deal was ultimately blocked by Stadia GM Phil Harrison last year.
This is possibly the project designer Hideo Kojima was referring to last summer, when he told a Japanese publication he had recently seen a “major” project cancelled. “I’m pretty pissed, but that’s the games industry for you,” he said.

Kojima Productions did not offer a response to this story.

futurama78

Banned
Stadia was probably some political joke if they’re rejecting Kojima. Like what? Also maybe a Microsoft joke if that Sunset Overdrive-like game is gone. Probably trying to mess with creators.

But it’s made by Google so that doesn’t seem right. That would be a android 3rd party console doing that. Some gamergate nonsense or something? DENY ACCESS TO GAM FOR YOU HURK. I don’t even know if that’s what they did or what. But it’s like censor culture or something. Or maybe not. Sony and Google tipping people off?

Last edited:
Wow, huh, that is hilarious.

Almost seems like the point of this wasn't to make games or even be a successful console at all, but to funnel money to favored studios like UbiSoft. Perhaps this was just all a tax dodge or something.

At any rate, Google's technological dominance combined with how little they seemingly cared for this does not inspire confidence in an all-streaming future for games. I will hold onto my physical media thank you very much.

Last edited:

Kagero

This is the best news I heard all day. A kojima game would have made me buy in to that dumb ecosystem. Danger averted.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
They don't know anything about gaming, clearly.

I guess the erratic luck from companies like Apple gave them the wrong impression.

Warablo

Did Death Stranding fail? Seems like Kojima is asking for money from everyone.

I mean, Kojima hasn't really got much mainstream appeal but he's a huge name among the core gaming audience, big enough to actually draw players in (which is exactly what Stadia needs right now).

Pathetic decision really, shows they know nothing about gaming. Keep up the great work Phil Harrison, that's 3 failed console launches out of 3.
It would have been a huge waste of money for Stadia.

Last edited:

Roufianos

I mean, Kojima hasn't really got much mainstream appeal but he's a huge name among the core gaming audience, big enough to actually draw players in (which is exactly what Stadia needs right now).

Pathetic decision really, shows they know nothing about gaming. Keep up the great work Phil Harrison, that's 3 failed console launches out of 3.

Last edited:

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
For the better. Imagine having a good Kojima horror game being Stadia exclusive.

DrAspirino

Banned
Kojima had its prime on MGS4. From there it went all downhill.

Since Death Stranding was a massive failure, and Kojima Productions brand tarnished, its no wonder they rejected Kojima.

I'm not defending Google's shitty decissions on Stadia, but I think this one is one of the few (if any) good ones.

I don't know why some of you keep praising him, when he should've retired when he was on his peak (like Miyamoto or Yu Suzuki).

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Death Stranding seems like a horror game because of those beach things that beat you the hell up, I give Kojima the tools to make a much bigger game than Stranding.

Yoboman

The problem with these companies trying to crack the market is they don’t understand how big they have to invest before it will work

MS lost billions on Xbox. They spent a lot and had to develop third party relations just to get multiplats. In fact they are still working on 3p relations now 20 years later. Sony undercut everybody on price for years and just go have a look at their publishing record on PS1. They basically offered publishing and co-publishing deals to the whole industry while also massively reducing royalty costs, which is what got them the games to compete.

Google want to slide in and start getting games by default like Apple and Facebook fluked into. But nobody is signing up to FB for games, nobody is buying Apple phones for games. Nobody would buy a FB console for brand loyalty. That success is more a by product of convenience that everybody has those services and devices already

Yoboman

Phil Spencer also had a team Kojima statue in his office. If Sony declined to work with them again, and they shopped around (but failed) with Stadia...then it looks like they may be going with Microsoft.
I think it’s more likely he go third party publishing. Sony offered a good start up entry for Kojimas studio but he went third party to publish on PC

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Did they even bother Googling “PT”? I bet they wanted Fortnite and were already scared from Five Nights at Freddy’s to consider how much potential his horror game could have.

Mister Wolf

Kojima had its prime on MGS4. From there it went all downhill.

Since Death Stranding was a massive failure, and Kojima Productions brand tarnished, its no wonder they rejected Kojima.

I'm not defending Google's shitty decissions on Stadia, but I think this one is one of the few (if any) good ones.

I don't know why some of you keep praising him, when he should've retired when he was on his peak (like Miyamoto or Yu Suzuki).

I thought I was the only one that felt this way.

Top Bottom