• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stadia Premiere Edition being offered free to YouTube Premium members

T-Square

I have it because it's literally all my family watches, I think the pricing for family sucks but being able to just have hours of content downloaded automatically to my kids tablet for day to day use and trips is worth it for me.

I pay for Netflix, Hulu an Disney+ which is why my money is wasted because my kid never watches any of them (and I hate that he doesn't.. he just watches Purple haired Asian Gilbert Gottfried impersonators playing Among us)
I subscribe for the family sharing also, it's the best to me

Komatsu

I'm a Premium subscriber (so I can use YT on mobile with the app minimized) so I just applied for it. No interest is in Stadia but it's free..

dcll

Banned
If you have a chromebook they are offering free 3 months of Stadia Pro that stacks on this free month

Woffls

This thing is confusing. Not sure what Chromecast actually does, can't connect controller to a thing of some kind and even get into Stadia. I connected the controller to PC just fine and got the web UI.... but I can't actually find anything to play without Stadia Pro or buying something?

No wonder they're giving these things away to try and get people to use the service.

Ended up buying Doom for a fiver :messenger_expressionless:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
This thing is confusing. Not sure what Chromecast actually does, can't connect controller to a thing of some kind and even get into Stadia. I connected the controller to PC just fine and got the web UI.... but I can't actually find anything to play without Stadia Pro or buying something?

No wonder they're giving these things away to try and get people to use the service.

Ended up buying Doom for a fiver :messenger_expressionless:
The service itself works well, but for something that is meant to be convenient sure is and always has been convoluted. It was missing so many basic things at launch, it was obvious they wanted a bit of a window between their launch and the new consoles. I hope they stick with it and refine the service, but they are entirely at the whim of publishers supporting it at the moment.

Woffls

The service itself works well, but for something that is meant to be convenient sure is and always has been convoluted. It was missing so many basic things at launch, it was obvious they wanted a bit of a window between their launch and the new consoles. I hope they stick with it and refine the service, but they are entirely at the whim of publishers supporting it at the moment.
Got the thing working by linking the controller to Stadia on my PC and somehow that got it to look at the Chromecast? I dunno. Anyway, Doom was actually a really good experience - connection is 80Mb/s FttC around 13ms and I connected the thing with ethernet. Certainly playable.

All else I've been able to do with Chromecast so far is stream stuff from apps in my phone... is CC literally just for casting from other devices? Does the content go via the other device or is the data routed directly to the CC?

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Got the thing working by linking the controller to Stadia on my PC and somehow that got it to look at the Chromecast? I dunno. Anyway, Doom was actually a really good experience - connection is 80Mb/s FttC around 13ms and I connected the thing with ethernet. Certainly playable.

All else I've been able to do with Chromecast so far is stream stuff from apps in my phone... is CC literally just for casting from other devices? Does the content go via the other device or is the data routed directly to the CC?
Chromecast is triggered by the App, so you select the game via App. The way Chromecast works (for most media) is that it then connects directly to the media stream (in this case on Stadia's server). If you are playing via Chromecast your Stadia controller will also be connected directly to the Stadia server via wifi.

I have YT Premium, but it is still trying to get me to pay $9.99 a month for the Stadia subscription. Is that required to get the free Stadia?

Last edited:

Boss Man

Thanks OP, I’ll give it a shot.

I waited so long to get YouTube Premium because the removal of ads was the thing I wanted and I felt like I was paying extra for things I didn’t care about. IMO, it’s worth it just for ads if you watch YouTube constantly like me.

jaysius

Banned
Thanks OP, I’ll give it a shot.

I waited so long to get YouTube Premium because the removal of ads was the thing I wanted and I felt like I was paying extra for things I didn’t care about. IMO, it’s worth it just for ads if you watch YouTube constantly like me.

Uh there's an easy way to avoid ads on any platform, slightly trickier on iOS but you just use Brave Browser on there and you're good.

Paying huge corporations for next to nothing is a bad lesson to teach them.

MiguelItUp

Haha, I forgot I was in a family plan with another friend of mine and figured I'd give it a shot to see if it worked, it did. Free controller and chromecast? Sure, why not?! Lol.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I Barely know what stadia premiere is.. but what the fuck is youtube premium ??

Are they seriously offering something nobody gives a fuck about for free to another service nobody gives a fuck about?

YouTube premium is like Netflix, except you pay Google to remove the annoying twenty commercials in a 3 minute long youtube movie while zero of the money goes to the content creator.

Kssio_Aug

If they made Stadia into Youtube Premium, forever, and without price changes, then MAYBE Youtube Premium could be slightly more interesting. I won't sign it anyway though...

Boss Man

Uh there's an easy way to avoid ads on any platform, slightly trickier on iOS but you just use Brave Browser on there and you're good.

Paying huge corporations for next to nothing is a bad lesson to teach them.
I mostly watch YouTube in the app on my TV, not a browser. Tbh, I’d probably pay $10/mo to avoid using a special browser anyway.

Don’t they make most of their money from ad revenue? Paying for no ads seems like a reasonable business model to me. I do wish they’d offer a cheaper subscription that only removed ads and gave you nothing else though.

Last edited:

Amory

Pretty cool. Not very interested in Stadia but I'll try it out and hey, free chromecast.

YouTube premium is great. No ads, and Google is always giving free devices to subscribers. I think I got a couple of free google home speakers and now this

Halcyon

So I got this awhile back and I just bought Jedi Fallen Order for like $10. I haven't had any gaming console after the ps3 so this actually was a pretty good deal for me and it has allowed me to jump into the "current gen" without much issue.

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
I don’t really watch YouTube outside of red letter media, but don’t adblockers remove YouTube ads?

I use YouTube on my tv so premium would be nice, but not worth it just to watch the new RLM video once or twice a month

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
4oeckj.jpg

Kataploom

Gold Member
I don't know if they're trying to attract people to YT Premium or to Stadia... outside of this board, I've never seen someone mention having premium

Top Bottom