• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stadia launches November 19

NickFire

For the technical wizards, I have a question.

Am I missing something if I see year one of Stadia essentially as a beta? The reason being that I assume the amount of data that will be passed back and forth is going to increase significantly when the new consoles launch next year, also assuming that Stadia's version of games will have graphical parity with the high end consoles.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Sony and MS will have their streaming services tied to a Netflix-style game sub. Stadia seems more like GeForce Now, but at least with GeForce Now I can stream a large selection of games from my own Steam or UPlay library(you used to be able to run any Steam game).

silentstorm

Call me back when we live in a world where everyone has perfect internet and then we will talk about it, even then, i already have a PC at home, and look at that, my phone and tablet also can play video games!

And if i look online, i can learn about those rare good mobile games that don't have ads at all, it's just...i don't even play games on my phone and tablet, i have a few installed that i haven't played in ages, true, but again, they are just there, when i am out and feel like doing something, i happen to have some books on my phone to read, after a while, i suprisingly got used to the small screen.

And even then, that is for when i am waiting on some place and am around people i don't know, at home, i already have a PC and it's not that hard to just connect it to a TV and play games without having to worry about internet connection, outside of my house, i don't even play games nor use the phone for anything besides using it as a phone, something to read books or check online.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I actually was interested, because I thought this was going to be a seperate platform with Stadia exclusive games, and I mean games that would benefit from the server based architecture, like games with 1000s of players in persistent online environments... but it seems they are just peddling existing stuff on a streaming service that's not even that different from ie GeForce Now. People that would be interested in these games will prpobably already have some other means to play them today, and more easily too.... Disappointed!

Last edited:

Brazen

Been a while since I read some "what went wrong" articles on a product/etc. Always some interesting insights on why this or that wasn't a success or didn't work out because. So hey there may be plenty of good reading material after Nov 19!

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Ways to make you sign for something:
- Make it free for a few days, like Amazon Prime
- give the first month free, like Netflix
- charge cheap, like GamePass
- charge $10 for a service that you still need to buy stuff there, and is going to cost the same as a thing that you get in a physycal format, and chances are that this game will disappear from the library out of nowhere eventually

Lanrutcon

So December is going to be a month of the gaming press going "omg Stadia isn't living up to its promises!" in various articles. Calling it.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
deriks deriks

The thing with Game Pass or PSNow is that even if you paid full price(hard to do), you'd walk away decently satisfied since you have access to a plethora of games. GeForce Now is even better(still in free beta, so I'm biased), since you can stream your own game collection from their servers(Steam, Uplay, etc) to your PC or phone.

Stadia is not like the others. Too much risk without sufficient reward. And it's Google, so they will piss on your games' grave afterwards.

Last edited:

Dizzan

MINI Member
Launch games announced.

ejg3px6uwaaqalsr5kfl.jpeg

stranno

Red Dead Redemption 2, Stadia believers crying while seeing the game running on below PC low settings 4K.

Tarkus98

Is there a picture of what the console looks like? Is the console dropping on the 19th or just the service/controller?
Must admit I haven’t been following this closely but even so, never been this confused prior to a launch.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Is there a picture of what the console looks like? Is the console dropping on the 19th or just the service/controller?
Must admit I haven’t been following this closely but even so, never been this confused prior to a launch.

The console is basically a Chromecast. But right now, you have to buy the founders pack that comes with a Chromecast and a controller in order to access the service. Down the road, presumably, it'll be available without having to purchase separate hardware.

Jtibh

Banned
I just tried the new pesto sauce on my wrap at subway.
Ever since i am glued to the toilet.
So this might be something for me but NOT if i have to pay for the service AND FULL PRICE for the game.

Danny Dudekisser

I just tried the new pesto sauce on my wrap at subway.
Ever since i am glued to the toilet.
So this might be something for me but NOT if i have to pay for the service AND FULL PRICE for the game.

I'm thinking about leaving work early to take a shit. I understand where you're coming from, but still feel that it is not a good value.

Tarkus98

The console is basically a Chromecast. But right now, you have to buy the founders pack that comes with a Chromecast and a controller in order to access the service. Down the road, presumably, it'll be available without having to purchase separate hardware.
Thank you for taking the to explain this service. I think for right now this will get a hard pass from me.
I generally enjoy all new console launches except for this one. Too vague for my less then average intellect I suppose.

Danny Dudekisser

Yeah, it's a snoozer. And the only exclusive content (so far) is Gylt (which is a timed exclusive) and Orcs Must Die 3 (which I think is an actual exclusive that won't come to other platforms.) Neither is going to light up your life.

FranXico

GeForce Now is even better(still in free beta, so I'm biased), since you can stream your own game collection from their servers(Steam, Uplay, etc) to your PC or phone.
You can do that with the PS4 and the XBox One as well, and it's not even part of any subscription.
Edit: well, not from the servers, sorry for misunderstanding.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
I'm thinking about leaving work early to take a shit. I understand where you're coming from, but still feel that it is not a good value.
Well lucky you . You have the choice to shit on your own trone. I had to run with my thumb up my ass to prolong the detonation.

No its not a good valeu and the fact we really didnt see anything real like retail ready real makes me think it will be delayed or cancelled on launch day.
Nah this whole project is just the digital version of sperm hitting the floor left to dry out.
No one would even swallow it.
Its nasty and smells like someone took a piss in a can of tuna.

Alebrije

The more I know about Stadia the less I understand the business model....specially with that lauch line of games.....maybe Google has lots of money and any project gets green light no matter the results.

No exclusive games just the same games for a new service is a huge mistake these days.....

The more I know about Stadia the less I understand the business model....specially with that lauch line of games.....maybe Google has lots of money and any project gets green light no matter the results.

No exclusive games just the same games for a new service is a huge mistake these days.....
It's seriously 'throw shit at the wall and see what sticks' with these jokers.

If it doesn't make a certain amount of money/data in the set amount of time they can it (even if it's a great product/service).

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I honestly don't think exclusives are the driving factor with something like this. I mean, ok. If you're targeting existing gamers, then sure, that might be true. But the value streaming has is in the ability to target new audiences, and experiment with different business models. Which... Google has apparently completely declined to do.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Well, looks like a train wreck.

But I'm not gonna say it will fail, because I was sure the gaming side of Apple's "App Store" would fail, and it was a huge success. Still a huge success. But if Stadia is a huge success day one, it's gonna be due to a miracle, because it's one of the weakest major platform launches I've seen in a long time.

It's probably going to take many months before we get any concrete data anyway. Even if it flops, we're not gonna know it until it's too late.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Man, haters gonna hate.

If the pricing is right, I 'm in. If games are full price, then forget it.

I reckon a lot of people will change their tune IF RDR2 plays at highest settings in 4k. I doubt it, but if they can achieve this, then I'm in regardless.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

Man, haters gonna hate.

If the pricing is right, I 'm in. If games are full price, then forget it.

I reckon a lot of people will change their tune IF RDR2 plays at highest settings in 4k. I doubt it, but if they can achieve this, then I'm in.

So... you're a hater, then. Because the games are full price. And if you want 4k, that's an extra $10 a month.

Also, given the resource demands and streaming costs, there is literally no way that Google is going to have instances running RDR2 at the highest settings in 4K. And even if it did, the degradation from streaming it would render it moot.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Chacranajxy, you must work for Google or be a psychic because as far as I know, they haven't released pricing yet? Sucks if it is the case but show me where this is stated.

I don't mind paying $10 a month for 4k, I never questioned that cost. I'm happy to pay for the service if the games are prices as they should be ie full price at launch is fine but reduced over time. I understand them never being as cheap as from the store but I'm not paying full price for a 12 month old game.

Also, assumptions show a complete lack of intelligence.

Last edited:

small_law

I can't imagine using it as a primary platform, but the promise of playing PC/console cross save games anywhere was too much for me to pass up even if it's a pipe dream. I signed up for it a few months back. I know there's other streaming stuff coming, but I just have to see what this looks like. That was worth the price of admission.

Don't get me wrong. I am well aware of Google's tendency to abandon services, even successful or promising ones. If Stadia catches on, great. If it doesn't, oh well.

I just have to know what streaming Destiny 2 to my phone looks like.

Danny Dudekisser

You must work for Google or be a psychic because as far as I know, they haven't released pricing yet? Sucks if it is the case but show me where this is stated.

I don't mind paying $10 a month for 4k, I never questioned that cost. I'm happy to pay for the service if the games are prices as they should be ie full price at launch is fine but reduced over time. I understand them never being as cheap as from the store but I'm not paying full price for a 12 month old game.

Also, assumptions show a complete lack of intelligence.

I mean, it's not exactly being kept secret.

Here's an article: https://www.businessinsider.com/goo...do-on-other-platforms-anywhere-from-1-to-60-3

Scroll down a bit to the part where it says "Pricing will be similar to what you'd expect on other consoles, while of course being title dependent."

IE: Full price.

BasedCase

Neo Member
In addition to everything else, the existence of the Switch really hampers the whole "play anywhere" selling point. Not buying one but curious how this goes.

Dizzan

MINI Member
I mean, it's not exactly being kept secret.

Here's an article: https://www.businessinsider.com/goo...do-on-other-platforms-anywhere-from-1-to-60-3

Scroll down a bit to the part where it says "Pricing will be similar to what you'd expect on other consoles, while of course being title dependent."

IE: Full price.

Okay, so they will presumably be full price at launch and will go on sale from time to time. I'm okay with that. I haven't purchased a launch title in years. I'm a dad and company ownerso I don't have a lot of time for gaming. Stadia suits me perfectly because I can play in my down time (half an hour before bed or on the toilet) and on my phone or tablet.

Danny Dudekisser

I mean, that's totally fair. There will be people that Stadia makes sense for. I just question how many of them there are.

Top Bottom