• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stadia - Brand new games studio in Playa Vista. Head of Sony Santa Monica is taking the lead at Stadias new first party studio.

DonF

She was the head of a world leading studio ...and left for stadia? I believe the money was good and she is going to retire soon. She must have gained a lot of money with ssm, enough for an early retirement, and now with Google's money, she is more than set.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
My grand parents taught me a very valid lesson when I was a young boy, and it is as follows:

“Never game on a system you can rhyme with a woman’s private parts”.

Solid advice I still live by today. The only exception of course being the Sony Punt, which as we all know, was brilliant.

https://www.wired.com/story/google-stadia-new-studio/

First up, some good news for people who actually want things to play on Google Stadia. According to a blog post from Google's head of Stadia games, Jade Raymond, the company is opening a new studio dedicated to developing content for the streaming console. The new office, located in Playa Vista, California, will be lead by Shannon Studstill, the former head of Sony Santa Monica, the studio famous for the God of War games.
Studstill's new job may not be easy. Google is theoretically already at work on some games at its studio in Montreal (the company has been tight-lipped about what's in development), but until those titles see the light of day, the selection of third-party releases on the platform is pretty slim. As Business Insider reported last weekend, Stadia simply isn't pulling in indies because Google isn't offering the type of incentives, in terms of money or promotion, needed to pull developers away from other platforms. Plus, many devs simply don't trust Google to stick with games long-term. So, until Google proves themselves, and maybe starts spending more on courting developers, the company's in-house studios will be facing a lot of pressure to produce good content.
Well, there you have it. That's gonna be one of the most short lived studios ever.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Well, there you have it.

*Nightwing

You know when someone is so smart but so disconnected from reality they become easy marks for a con? I think this is where Google is at this point as none of this makes any business sense after a half assed launch like they did with the stadia. Not to mention the concept of game streaming itself cannot escape lag, it can only minimize it which makes it fundamentally under par in comparison to traditional consoles. It's just a gimmick that failed before it even launched and creating a gaming studio that is going to be on life support from its inception just seems like a terribly illogical business idea in this point of the consoles life cycle. Almost as if Google is just throwing money at bad ideas to keep it afloat for a few more months so it doesn't look as bad as a failure on paper as it actually is.

Why? How do you come to this conclusion?
I come this conclusion to by looking observing the trends and seeing that Stadia is not very well received and will probably go down in flames in a couple of months.
Google has a history of abandoning their projects if they don't meet their expectations.

You didn’t just ‘bring the news’. You had to give your opinion with it as well, with no way to back up your claim.
I gave my explanation in the post above.
Also, if you would like me to show you how to double quote, I'll be more then happy to show you.

Last edited:

Thanati

I come this conclusion to by looking observing the trends and seeing that Stadia is not very well received and will probably go down in flames in a couple of months.
Google has a history of abandoning their projects if they don't meet their expectations.

I gave my explanation in the post above.
Also, if you would like me to show you how to double quote, I'll be more then happy to show you.

no, you’re fine and thanks for trying to find at least something to belittle my post. There had to be something, right?

My point is that you still have no basis for saying what you did. You said that google has a habit of abandoning projects that don’t meet expectations. Well, guess what, so does EVERY major company. As soon as Skylnders faltered, Activision killed it, for example.

Stadia is likely going to be very different. Do you honestly think that major leads joining Google are going to do so without some kind of promise for the future? Do you even know the expense of setting up a game studio? I’ve been in the gaming industry for around 20 years and I happen to know it’s a crazy amount of investment in time, people and infrastructure.

As for Stadia “going down in flames”. Again, you have no real basis for stating this. It’s based on your own opinion, which is based on reading a few internet articles. Because we all know how reliable they are.

You didn’t just ‘bring the news’. You had to give your opinion with it as well, with no way to back up your claim.
no, you’re fine and thanks for trying to find at least something to belittle my post. There had to be something, right?

My point is that you still have no basis for saying what you did. You said that google has a habit of abandoning projects that don’t meet expectations. Well, guess what, so does EVERY major company. As soon as Skylnders faltered, Activision killed it, for example.

Stadia is likely going to be very different.
I'm not trying to bellitle you or anything, the double quote thing was a joke.
See what I highlighted in your post? Google said that for every one of it's products. And the current reception of stadia amongst gamers is very poor. I'm deriving my statement and forming my opinion based on their track record. And that track record is pretty shit. But it is an opinion, I agree. We'll just have to wait and see how things will progress.
You just remember this thread and what I said. In about a year I'll be reminding you of how I was right.
But only time will tell.

Thanati

I'm not trying to bellitle you or anything, the double quote thing was a joke.
See what I highlighted in your post? Google said that for every one of it's products. And the current reception of stadia amongst gamers is very poor. I'm deriving my statement and forming my opinion based on their track record. And that track record is pretty shit. But it is an opinion, I agree. We'll just have to wait and see how things will progress.
You just remember this thread and what I said. In about a year I'll be reminding you of how I was right.
But only time will tell.
I’d bet a lot of money that the “gamers” who are negative towards Stadia haven’t even tried it and are bad-mouthing it for no real reason other than it’s cool to do so.

I have it and love it. In fact I’ve used my stadia more than my PC over the past 2 months.

kretos

Banned
Who is going to buy these games when no one is buying stadia lol

they should go 3rd party already

Virex

Banned
I see our resident streaming shill has made his way here and was not happy with the thread.

kiphalfton

Well, somebody has to develop games for Stadia. Imagine being on that dev team though. No way you don't see the writing on the wall.

Edit:
Feel bad for Jade Raymond, getting involved in a crap division. I wouldn't blame her for jumping ship (granted yeah it's Google we're talking about, but Stadia is going nowhere fast).

Last edited:

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Does anyone knows what is happening inside Google? I mean, that was the VERY first thing to do! 😱

Phil Harrison just wants to see the world burn. Imagine screwing up PS3, Xbox One and Stadia and getting better and better jobs while doing so. He's probably in a secret Discord with Don Mattrick and they are betting on who can kill more companies.

Phil Harrison just wants to see the world burn. Imagine screwing up PS3, Xbox One and Stadia and getting better and better jobs while doing so. He's probably in a secret Discord with Don Mattrick and they are betting on who can kill more companies.

Actually, that makes sense. Those guys are like coronavirus level ultra.

Last edited:
Top Bottom