• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSDs next gen will change my gaming habits.

EDMIX

Yeah, I think you are under the influence of something, cuz these posts you're making are completely nonsensical.

I have never added anything else to my posts.

I adressed a poster who said consoles don't have ssds as a standard by saying that "pcs dont have them as standard neither", then he/she and a third poster said pcs dont have a standard, which, funnily enough, supports my point, but I disagree with that notion though and said that they do have a standard, that "hdds are the standard" , because the vast majority of pcs out there do come with a hdd and on an earlier post even said that that will change, since ssds are taking hdd's place on the market.

He disagreed with my assessment and at that point I noticed the conversation was going in circles, said that to him and thanked him for the conversation and that was that, we went our separate ways.

But now, here you are, all angry, calling me a liar and other things, for no reason at all.

Like stated before.
Personal attacks won't change much and I won't partake in that as it doesn't advance anything. I understand what that person was saying pretty clear, you never needed to add all that stuff making it seem as if they were saying storage wasn't needed in a PC. That was just to argue. If you can read, you can understand what they mean (that is unless you don't want to and just want to argue some agenda or something)

Going to have to add you to the ignore list bud, you legit seem to want to argue too much.

Dargor

Like stated before.
Personal attacks won't change much and I won't partake in that as it doesn't advance anything. I understand what that person was saying pretty clear, you never needed to add all that stuff making it seem as if they were saying storage wasn't needed in a PC. That was just to argue. If you can read, you can understand what they mean (that is unless you don't want to and just want to argue some agenda or something)

Going to have to add you to the ignore list bud, you legit seem to want to argue too much.

So you call me a liar, put words in my mouth, and I'm the one doing personal attacks? Who said storage wasn't needed? Not me. Whos implying another poster doesnt know how to read? Not me.

You sir, have problems.

EDMIX

The difference is that games were never built to make use of it.

Agreed. Trust me, as someone that owns a gaming PC and have used SSDs before, they are not doing what we saw with Spiderman running on a PS5 lol

So they have SSDs like NASA has supercomputers, you might have the specs, doesn't mean you actually have any software even making use of those specs, thus irrelevant. Like massively irrelevant. I said it before and I'll say it again, 3rd party developers control what is used in hardware and that is based on home consoles.

160 million home consoles have a feature, guess what? 3rd party developers MUST use it cause that is the base, that is their bread and butter. So any features on PC will barely get used if its not on consoles already, its why we even see so little titles that even use Ray Tracing. To 3rd parties, its like "annnnnnd so what? OH so 16 high end PCs can do this and you want us putting how much money to support it?" Thats how they see those features, I'm sure even teams like DICE at EA only start doing stuff like that because they are currently working on NEXT GEN stuff thus start using some of those features like you see in BFV on PC. Next gen, that will be the norm because PS5 and Nextbox say so, thus it will spill over to PC and those 3rd party games will use those features as the norm.

So if the feature exist on PC before consoles, I'm doubtful its being used to its maximum.

93xfan

Banned
Next gen?
You can buy a SSD right now and get better load times (by half in most games) if you have a PC/Ps4 Pro/X1X/Sega Saturn Neo.

not worth the cost for me when next gen is just around the corner. Plus it seems as though the SSD tech they’re using next gen coupled with a better CPU will allow games to load much faster than they can even with a good SSD this gen.

All I’m saying is that it will make certain games much more appealing.

My favorite fighters this gen have been Smash Ultimate, Street Fighter 5 and Mortal Kombat X and all have relatively short loading times. Tekken 7 would be a great 4th game to add into the rotation if the load times weren’t 45 seconds or so. But as it stands right now, I’ll stick with my 3 favorite fighting games.

FMXVII

14 seconds is still bullshit

I agree.

The game is great, though.

I do not know that I have gotten 14 seconds on mine, but that IS far too long.

And it's a fraction of Dark Souls 2 on PS3.

That was some unmitigated bullshit.

I'm not excusing 14 seconds - just taking another opportunity to bash PS3 DaSo 2's eternal load times.

My only problem is size, as long as next gen your allowed to store games on a HDD and just transfer them over to the SSD when you want to play them then it's all good.

tassletine

The Switch made a huge impact in this regard. Just the boot times on the other consoles put me off now.
If I hit an update, I automatically go to the Switch.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Try the original RAGE on pc
And tell me you dont mind poor texture streaming.
You heretic 😐
That was a mega-texture technology problem if i remember well.

Not every game has giant loading time without ssd.

And i can gladly wait 30 sec instead of 5 sec of loading for better performance with a better gpu.

It's a question of priority, like the people who tone down shadow and lights instead of textures and details, i like my performance better than any 1 sec loading time.

Last edited:

Daymos

The size of games (100gb) and the fact that you have to install them all on the SSD worries me. Since it's an SSD and it's more expensive, the drive certainly isn't going to be like 5 terrabytes like I wish it was. 1 or 2tb is too small and my slow internet connection bottlenecks me horribly if I have to redownload patches or digital games. Ultra high speed game cartridges with no installs would have been my dream, but of course that's kind of dumb with digital gaming and streaming being the big thing.

Last edited:

GermanZepp

I like to play everybody's golf but the load times are awful. Hope for that SSD reduce OG ps4 games loading like the spiderman demo.

FMXVII

I like to play everybody's golf but the load times are awful. Hope for that SSD reduce OG ps4 games loading like the spiderman demo.

This post just makes me sad, remembering the glory days of PS2 Hot Shots. :/

What we really need is a GOOD sequel.

...with short load times.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Sega Saturn Neo?
69280642_141010210459973_9007050148616954857_n.jpg

It was a joke!

Top Bottom