• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Temporarily Paused Digital Sales of Final Fantasy XIV Due to So Many People Trying to Play

Jigsaah

Gold Member
No MMO that charges people a monthly fee should revoke levels from a player upon death. That's literally theft of time from them.
I must be a masochist because I enjoyed the feeling the higher stakes when travelling/partying up. I remember my first time crossing the Dunes...I was level 10 trying to get to this far off land called Bastok? I only knew I had to traverse this huge desert to get there where literally all of the mobs could kill me if they aggroed. I died a couple of times before I finally made it. After that, I was hooked.

Nowadays, you can just run away from mobs who aggro and in most cases, you won't die. Even if you do die you're not set back so much. In FFXI, death in the wilds could mean retracing your steps for quite sometime, especially if your route included and ship ride. Granted, now that I'm older and have less time to play, mechanics like that wouldn't fly. But when I was a bum kid in college home for summer vacation...FFXI was the best.

Last edited:

Juza

Is it possible for someone who couldn't stand any Final Fantasy game to have a good experience with this game?

I haven't played MMO in a while.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Is it possible for someone who couldn't stand any Final Fantasy game to have a good experience with this game?

I haven't played MMO in a while.
Yes, it plays more like an MMORPG than a FF game or traditional JRPG. I'm not too big on MMORPGs, but this one was pretty good out of the ones I've played, and that was years ago. I'm sure it's even better now.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
2) Someone already mentioned the creepy child race. Lately, in most JRPGs, the whole "cute" and "weeb" shit has been turning me off a lot. This is just a personal thing for me, but it's hard for me to take a game's story seriously with creepy child like dolls and catgirls wearing thongs are central to a game's story. If I am wrong, please tell me. Does the game's story sway away from this stuff in Heavensward and beyond?

IMO if you were able to put up with FFIX's character design, the midgets & catgirls should not be a problem for you. I'd even say XIV is way toned down compared to IX in the cutesy furry department. The story NPC midgets & catgirls you meet also tend to be some of the cooler characters.

Not to mention your interaction with those elements of the game doesn't have to extend beyond that, just like you don't have to bother with fishing, or bother with crafting, or bother with endgame raiding, or bother with extreme difficulty boss fights, e.t.c. you can play as a regular old human FF protag if you'd like.

YukiOnna

Some of the biggest pieces of shit you meet in the cast are the lallafels and Tataru is the best. Would be stupid to have a race and not to anything with them imo.

Also, no. No one takes away the catgirls. Go away.

ethomaz

Banned
Thinking a bit more about the subject I believe Square made the wrong decision here.

I mean they could have a backup plan to increase servers power for these cases when there is a big new wave of new users instead to stop to sell the digital version of the game.

It make no sense to have to stop to sell a product because you don't have scaleable servers to support the new users... you had to be planned to that already.

I re-downloaded the game on my PS4, tried making a new character but none of the worlds were accepting new players. Gonna have to retry when I have time.

A.Romero

Fortnite has 10x the players of FFXIV (thus more strain on server hardware). It's proven you can make a billion dollars just from cosmetics. In 2021 there's honestly no reason for a monthly fee anymore.

Fortnite is a way more accessible game, for starters.

Second, what is the motivation SE has to risk it if what they are doing is working?

I'm not saying F2P doesn´t work, I'm just saying that this apparently is working pretty well for them.

Neil Young

Don't wow have gnomes? how is it any different?
They look and sound like children. Many Jrpgs seem to have this type of character. I, personally, don't like the children that are actually adults type of characters (or perhaps they ARE children...I'm not familiar with their lore).

epkU8PR.jpg

Meicyn

Gold Member
FFXIV is best described as an RPGMMO. The MMO part is secondary to the single player structure which is front and center from the outset. Almost everything you expect in an MMO is present and available, but this content is unlocked gradually through that single player structure.

It is a Final Fantasy RPG first, an MMO second. A very long game, and the most fleshed out Final Fantasy world created to date with Final Fantasy XI coming in a close second.

BRZBlue

Fortnite has 10x the players of FFXIV (thus more strain on server hardware). It's proven you can make a billion dollars just from cosmetics. In 2021 there's honestly no reason for a monthly fee anymore.
The issue with F2P cosmetics is that more often than not, they're heavily weighted so as to incentivize purchasing cosmetics as opposing to earning them in-game. We've seen many MMO's go F2P from a monthly fee, and while they earn more money... they're often worse experiences because of it. Star Trek Online, LotRO, Champions Online, SWTOR, all went F2P, and all changed from providing content at a steady basis, to chasing the next big cash shop whale thing, very much to the detriment of the game.

Also, MMO servers aren't directly comparable to multiplayer shooter's servers. An MMO needs a so much infrastructure its not even funny. You need database infrastructure for gear. There's probably more glove items subsequently database calls in FFXIV than there are total cosmetics in the entirety of Fortnite.

Subscription based is honestly a superior system for the player. Heck, the sheer amount of content that FFXIV has put out during its lifetime absolutely puts to shame most F2P MMO's.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Blows my mind that an online game where you have to pay a monthly fee + have to buy the damn thing is so succesful at this day and age

Where every online game is free while aiming money by microtransactions

FF XIV model is archaic, but I think that it working tells a lot about the game's quality
The model is terrible. I bought it and played for 2 months. It was fun, but way too fucking grindy. Having to pay monthly and invest dozens of hours is insane. I genuinely liked the game and would enjoy it if it moved along faster, but monthly sub and tons of bloat to keep you from moving far enough in a month is just a shitty experience overall.

JoeBudden

No, FF14 takes griefing very seriously. Even insulting someone for how little dps they are doing in a dungeon can get you permabanned and the mods actually are fairly active in addressing reports. There are other games you can play if you are into that culture.

This is cap. They don't permaban you this easily.

BRZBlue

The model is terrible. I bought it and played for 2 months. It was fun, but way too fucking grindy. Having to pay monthly and invest dozens of hours is insane. I genuinely liked the game and would enjoy it if it moved along faster, but monthly sub and tons of bloat to keep you from moving far enough in a month is just a shitty experience overall.
Two months is enough to get through the game and the first expansion. Like, what were you playing, 2 hours a week?

20cent

Banned
I just went through the free trial registration and downloading the game now, maybe I'll try it this w-e if it can be solo-ed

I got a feeling that people in this thread that sound like they hate ffxiv are the type that are "used" to western style graphic design. After all, they seems to say wow is vastly superior. Also they can't seems to shake the steretype that FFXIV is a "weeb" game.

Last edited:

BRZBlue

I got a feeling that people in this thread that sound like they hate ffxiv are the type that are "used" to western style graphic design. After all, they seems to say wow is vastly superior. Also they can't seems to shake the steretype that FFXIV is a "weeb" game.

I mean, now that WoW is stealing raid encounter mechanics from FF, I guess the circle is complete.

SinDelta

FF14 is an absolutely incredible game, one of the best I've ever played actually and the story, setting, design and job class system, individual job class progression and story are mind blowing in their implementation and that was just from playing the older timed demo, not even the more recent one where you can get up to Heavensword?! I never continued, since I am very adverse to paying a monthly fee and feeling I have to commit to an MMO. My biggest issue in the trial was I was trying to watch the ongoing story and cutscenes, but the group was focused on pushing through the dungeons.

Guess the closest I can get to the quality of FF14 in a single player experience is Xenoblade DE and Dragon Quest XI though from what I hear about the FF14 expansions even that is not quite enough. I can only hope FF16 delivers something akin to a single player FF14 in concepts and sheer quality (and that I someday get my hands on a PS5).

Kudos to FF14 for turning everything around. What an absolute achievement and a benchmark by which all RPGS should be measured. FF14 will be the one MMO that I am willing to take the plunge if I do reconsider.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

it is funny to hear about 'complaint' of 'child-like-looking race name lalafels in the game.

just no need to over think about them. it merely one of race in the game. like cute version of dwarf. no need get to worked up by representation from people in social media etc out there because the race actually become a meme joke for the community so people tend to exeggerate things a bit. for outsiders who didnt play the game, might look them and playerbase as 'creepy' but the truth is people actually love to use them as troll subject. hence, all those 'weird' reaction.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In a new blog post, producer and director Naoki Yoshida addressed the recent spike in the game's player population, and steps Square Enix is taking to allow greater access to the game. The game has login caps for servers, which are being increased to allow more players to join. North America's data centers were upgraded on July 16th to allow for more players, while a server upgrade is also planned for Europe "for the immediate future."

Despite the cap increase in North America, this past weekend apparently saw "periods of six to seven hours at maximum login capacity." In order to ease problems, Yoshida requested that players "log out of their characters rather than remaining logged in while idle." Since new characters can't be created when the game is full, Yoshida also requested that players avoid doing so "during peak congestion times." However, the team "will continue to develop measures to combat server congestion."

Kumomeme

In a new blog post, producer and director Naoki Yoshida addressed the recent spike in the game's player population, and steps Square Enix is taking to allow greater access to the game. The game has login caps for servers, which are being increased to allow more players to join. North America's data centers were upgraded on July 16th to allow for more players, while a server upgrade is also planned for Europe "for the immediate future."

Despite the cap increase in North America, this past weekend apparently saw "periods of six to seven hours at maximum login capacity." In order to ease problems, Yoshida requested that players "log out of their characters rather than remaining logged in while idle." Since new characters can't be created when the game is full, Yoshida also requested that players avoid doing so "during peak congestion times." However, the team "will continue to develop measures to combat server congestion."
they even willingly pay more to speed up the upgrade but itseems the situation more complicated due to pandemic. just hope they gonna make in time before Endwalker release.

Ozzie666

Not having an automatic log out was just completely insane, they finally introduced a 30 minute idle timer. This will help a lot, of course people can macro/trigger something to keep them in game still and idle in the markets. But hopefully this small change improves things a little bit. I recently returned to catch up on the MSQ for Endwalker. Just playing as a pure casual though.

Blade2.0

Yes thers crossplay between playstation and pc players. Game plays very well on Playstation, the UI is fully costumisable and well adapted to be played with just a controller, and you can even use the touchpad from the controller as a mouse, that is usefull to adjust some stuff.

But if you like to chat with ur party members or guild, then PC, as everyone chats by text so keyboard makes it easier.

I played it on PS4 and i highly recommend it. One of the best MMOs out there with so much content. Just have in mind that the base game is kinda mediocre. Once you finish the quests from the base game and go to the expansions and get flying mounts is when stuff gets really good.
You can connect a mouse and keyboard to the PS4 and play it like it's on PC. Just on case no one said otherwise

isual

can i shamelessly plug my recruit a friend code here?

its U7TTQDGJ.

How to redeem code:
  • Login to your Mog Station account (secure.square-enix.com).
  • Click on "Manage Service Options"
  • Click on "Enter Recruitment Code"
  • Enter code: G7SJ5CPC
Remember to put in code before buying a subscription for the first time!! we both get cool stuff!!! i really want the cool mount that comes with a recruit a friend thing.

Last edited:

kikii

They look and sound like children. Many Jrpgs seem to have this type of character. I, personally, don't like the children that are actually adults type of characters (or perhaps they ARE children...I'm not familiar with their lore).

epkU8PR.jpg

well too many of satans childs :p

Jeeves

Wouldn't it make more sense to build more servers to handle the load rather than not allowing new sales and players?
They can't get their hands on servers fast enough due to semiconductor shortages. The same problem they've been having since this summer, only now exacerbated by the overwhelming success of Endwalker.

Last edited:

Raven117

Gold Member
Who knew we would be in a world where you have to pre-order digital copies of things as to make sure you play on release!

Top Bottom