• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Temporarily Paused Digital Sales of Final Fantasy XIV Due to So Many People Trying to Play

Kumomeme

those who 'complaint' about monthly subscription base think it like this:

to make good content need money and time. there is no free stuff in this word. there always a catch. devs always need recoup their cost. ever wonder why those f2p game end up with microtransaction grab to the point some of it become p2w?all to cover the cost elsewhere. not just for patch content but also for maintaing server and stuff. some game even end up needed player to spend their money on those shop for better looking and even better stats gear/item because the developers need the money.

while monthly subs no need rely on microtransaction grab. developers no need to held good looking and stats gear in game. infact for FFXIV the microtransaction shop merely for cosmetic and optional. you can play whole game without spend any cent toward the shop because there is tons of good stats and cool looking item(gear, mounts, minion etc) in the game.

monthly subs guarantee steadly budget flow which is can guarantee steady stream of content(some other game even experiencing months of dry content). devs still human nobody gonna do new contents, making asset, new music etc for free. the operation not running by its own. one of reason why game like FFXIV can continuously stream quality content is due to this.

Well wow situation today they more focused to keep player subbed with those time gated content while ffxiv didnt do that. thats more problem with blizzard itself. they no need to do that at first place.

p2w, monthly subs, gacha etc all bussiness model has pro and cons. nothing 'free' in this world especially good stuff.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
ever wonder why those f2p game end up with microtransaction grab to the point some of it become p2w?

Everyone keeps using this word but hasn't explained how Fortnite or Rocket League are P2W when the only MTX is cosmetics.

And Fortnite does a huge update that changes the entire game every 90 days.

iHaunter

P2W like Rocket League or Fortnite? Philosophy? What the fuck are you talking about?

FF XIV uses an old model of monthly subscription like old MMOs like WoW used to, and I find it interesting that it became so popular since paying for the base game + expansions + monthly subscription can become quite a lot for many. And yet here we are.

The F2P model is way more popular nowadays, and there are tons of free games without P2W shit.

FF XIV going against F2P and winning like this is very nice to see. Yoshi-P and team deserves it.
They aren't MMOs you neut. Every SINGLE F2P MMO is P2W.

Last edited:

Tschumi

What the hell is Up with this game? How good is it? I'm not playing because I'm pretty sure it's been updated and expansion'd into being a QOL-diluted, endgame-serving mess like all MMOs become... Is this not so?

BigBooper

Really weird to defend monthly sub by saying it means they don't have to do MTX, but they do have MTX too but it's just cosmetic.

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN
Dogs Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I'm glad these MMOs are still going strong. I've wanted to find one for me to try.

aka matrix tech, full immersion. Where you can also touch smell and taste. Thought to come about by some manner of brain computer interface.

The hypothetical transfer of qualia, touch, emotion, smells, tastes, in addition to vision and sound, through potential future invention of a brain computer interface, is one of the reasons why I believe consciousness or qualia is intrinsic to binary patterns, to integers, to numbers, to information itself. I call it intrinsic information.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
aka matrix tech, full immersion. Where you can also touch smell and taste. Thought to come about by some manner of brain computer interface.

The hypothetical transfer of qualia, touch, emotion, smells, tastes, in addition to vision and sound, through potential future invention of a brain computer interface, is one of the reasons why I believe consciousness or qualia is intrinsic to binary patterns, to integers, to numbers, to information itself. I call it intrinsic information.
Star Trek Dumb Smile GIF by reactionseditor

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The acceleration in popularity was noticeable when I jumped back in to play through to the latest xpac and finish the story. The starting cities were packed to the gills. The wilds around them, where people grind out the lower levels of jobs, were overrun - lots of competition for mobs (but it's cool because it's trivial to quickly party up with others around you so everyone gets credit). It was also nice being able to play on my couch using my PS5, and the next day play on my PC. Completely platform agnostic game.

Hopefully they keep peeling away users from WoW, because Blizzard chugs on kong these days.

Last edited:
Yeah I'd love to full dive into Limsa Lominsa and experience that hell as if I was there. Totally.
On the southern coast of the island of Vylbrand, under the shadow of ancient cliffs worn by the relentless onslaught of the Rhotano Sea, lies the marine city-state of Limsa Lominsa. Said to be blessed by the goddess of navigation, Llymlaen, the city is spread out over countless tiny islands, each connected by sturdy bridges of iron and wood construction, earning her the name the "Navigator's Veil" from traveling bards who have witnessed the city's beauty from afar. https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Limsa_Lominsa/Legacy

Intriguingly I'm also a fan of navigation and navigators, believe it is probably one of if not the main function of intelligence(navigate through conceptual space to goal state). My current avatar is of a kind of navigator, if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
Is this a grind MMO? Or are they all like that?

People say the story is amazing, so I'm interested, but the only MMO I've played is PSO2 for a few hours.

Neil Young

Really weird to defend monthly sub by saying it means they don't have to do MTX, but they do have MTX too but it's just cosmetic.

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN
Dogs Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I'm glad these MMOs are still going strong. I've wanted to find one for me to try.
Yup, and people also DESTROY the concept of Games as a Service which often don't require a monthly fee but will defend still paying 15 a month. It's the same shit.

This game is very good. Crafting is fun. I spent my whole free month just crafting. But...I really can't stand that creepy child race. There's something very wrong about it but most jrpgs seem to have a version of that shit. "You see, they're adults but they just LOOK like children." Yuck!!

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
this is why SE is still doing fine lol despite the shitty games they launched recently.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I’ve tried three times to like this game and just can’t, the opening is just soooo horrible. I wish there was a way to just jump right into the meet of the story, or get the story without being surrounded by hundreds of random stupid users running around everywhere in front of you.

But...I really can't stand that creepy child race. There's something very wrong about it but most jrpgs seem to have a version of that shit. "You see, they're adults but they just LOOK like children." Yuck!!
They're just the XIV version of dwarves, dude. Shadowbringers makes that connection even more obvious with gear that makes them look like the dwarves from FFV
FFXIV_Dwarf.png

Yup, and people also DESTROY the concept of Games as a Service which often don't require a monthly fee but will defend still paying 15 a month. It's the same shit.

This game is very good. Crafting is fun. I spent my whole free month just crafting. But...I really can't stand that creepy child race. There's something very wrong about it but most jrpgs seem to have a version of that shit. "You see, they're adults but they just LOOK like children." Yuck!!
Don't wow have gnomes? how is it any different?

Yea but most people have them dressed up like toddlers.
Most? Nah. The streams you've been watching are not indicative of the actual playerbase, ya know.
Most players are relatively normal/casual and don't even glamour their gear so they're wearing a mismatched set of armor lol

april6e

Feels like something I should try. Is there much potential for griefing in this game?

No, FF14 takes griefing very seriously. Even insulting someone for how little dps they are doing in a dungeon can get you permabanned and the mods actually are fairly active in addressing reports. There are other games you can play if you are into that culture.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
No, FF14 takes griefing very seriously. Even insulting someone for how little dps they are doing in a dungeon can get you permabanned and the mods actually are fairly active in addressing reports. There are other games you can play if you are into that culture.
Good. I don’t know how people play games like Ark where you can spend months building stuff only to have it all destroyed and stolen.

Kumomeme

I really want to play this but I just don't have the time to devote towards it. Can this be played like a traditional single player offline rpg or is it mmo grindy?
it is actually played like a single player rpg. there almost no grind. in this game you wont find people grind mobs in field 24 hours like some others korean mmo out there. the game structure is quest based. you gain exp by completing quest instead of killing monster on field. think of it like playing today's modern open world rpg with quest structure. if you ever played xenoblade chronicles, then it is pretty similliar. for first playthrough infact there is almost no grind. you should has no problem reach highest level and reach latest content by solely focus on storyline quest. later if you want to level up alternate job then it is different matter. but still, very less grind. there tons of end game leveling option available.

the game very solo friendly. you can play almost whole content without need to join and FC(guild), form party or socialized. you just doing quest like single player rpg. only need to form party when entering dungeon but there is automatic party finder system. depend on your job role, wait que abit it gonna automatically pair you in a party that gonna auto disbanded after dungeon run ended. thats all. for latest content like Shadowbringers there even A.I party member system available.

the game design is about the journey. the process, the leveling and completing main story quest is the focus opposed to some other mmo which is all about endgame content.

Kumomeme

People say the story is amazing, so I'm interested, but the only MMO I've played is PSO2 for a few hours.
very less grind in the game. the game is heavy quest focus. you wont find people grind on field 24 hours like some other mmo. you gain exp by doing quest like single player game. just focus on storyline quest till the end and you good to go. only worry about quest when you want to level up alternate job but there tons of leveling option available other than grind. the story is indeed amazing. among the best in the franchise.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Not just asmongold. Many WoW streamers are trying FFXIV. WoW is so trash now.
Yep current status of WoW has gone down the gutter since the devs aren't listening to their playerbase and just phone in everything like they don't care. Because of this big WoW influencers are migrating to XIV to try it out and a few of these have a massive cult following of sorts.

Isn't surprising since WoW has become a glorified early access open beta game with problems in it's tacked on systems that are only solved with another tacked on system that just creates more problems then solutions.

I think people like Bellular and Asmongold in the long term are just going to contribute to WoW's slow agonizing death as the old Blizzard team that worked there that made it great are no longer present.

Edit: It also helps that XIV is very story driven and that you are recognized by your actions. I tend to enjoy the story driven MMOS the most such as XIV, Secret World Legends, SWTOR and what have you.

Also native controller support wins massive brownie points for me.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I'm surprised people have a hard time understanding paid subs.

- FFXIV is better than any F2P MMO
- Obviously people are willing to pay

SE would be stupid to be leaving that money on the table.

Fortnite has 10x the players of FFXIV (thus more strain on server hardware). It's proven you can make a billion dollars just from cosmetics. In 2021 there's honestly no reason for a monthly fee anymore.

Hari Seldon

Fortnite has 10x the players of FFXIV (thus more strain on server hardware). It's proven you can make a billion dollars just from cosmetics. In 2021 there's honestly no reason for a monthly fee anymore.
What fortnite proves is that you need a simpleton shooter game that millions of 9 years olds play to find enough 9 year olds that will steal their parents credit card to buy marketing based cosmetics. Designing a game around idiot whales is the entire reason why virtually all F2P mobile games and all F2P MMOs are a pile of complete dogshit.

I don't think FFXIV is a grindy MMO unless you are doing relic weapons, which aren't necessary at all.

The game is a bit of a slog from 1-45ish imo from a story perspective with a lot of filler quests, it's at this point where the story really picks up, and Shadowbringers is one of the best stories in any game that has ever released.

I have played since before the relaunch, and am largely a casual player.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Not a grind at all unless you're going for rare gear or endgame content. If you only do the story quests (which is what a decent chunk of players do), every now and then you'll be below like one Level below what is required to progress but it takes anywhere from 15-45 minutes to get the EXP needed.

I wouldn't say the story is amazing, but it is pretty good in parts. Be warned that it takes a good 40 (yes forty) or so hours to start warming up. The first 40 hours of story aren't bad; they're just slow, laid back, & very straightforward (empire vs rebels yadda yadda). There's a drastic increase in writing quality once you get to the first expansion: Heavensward.

What the hell is Up with this game? How good is it? I'm not playing because I'm pretty sure it's been updated and expansion'd into being a QOL-diluted, endgame-serving mess like all MMOs become... Is this not so?

A metric shit ton of players are barely starting this year. I didn't even start until 2020. I didn't get that impression at all, its very welcoming to new players. Sometimes older players might rush through a dungeon that you'd prefer to take slower because its your first time, but that was the only time I felt being newer brought down the game's quality.

Fortnite has 10x the players of FFXIV (thus more strain on server hardware). It's proven you can make a billion dollars just from targeting kids who will ask for their mom’s credit card. In 2021 there's honestly no reason for a monthly fee anymore.

Fixed.

But...I really can't stand that creepy child race. There's something very wrong about it but most jrpgs seem to have a version of that shit. "You see, they're adults but they just LOOK like children." Yuck!!

That “child race” in-game and in-story are pretty based. They’re not sexualized children. Many of them are greedy merchants, and are based out of the city that host exotic female dancers.

Last edited:

Dynasty8

I've tried to play this game like 2-3 times in the past. Just got bored in the first couple hours.

I keep hearing how amazing it gets later on after A Realm Reborn... I love the older FF games on the SNES and PS1 days, but I can't get into this one for a couple reasons.

1) So much lore...I can be wrong, but the game kinda expects you to know everything right off the bat. It can feel very overwhelming.

2) Someone already mentioned the creepy child race. Lately, in most JRPGs, the whole "cute" and "weeb" shit has been turning me off a lot. This is just a personal thing for me, but it's hard for me to take a game's story seriously with creepy child like dolls and catgirls wearing thongs are central to a game's story. If I am wrong, please tell me. Does the game's story sway away from this stuff in Heavensward and beyond?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Snore feast tab targeting bukakke combat system.
Sleepwalker Sleepwalker don't listen to him.

I will say my main complaint with FFXIV when it went to A Realm Reborn is that it resembled WoW in terms of it's tab targeting and every move being a weaponskill. That much I will give him.

This sentiment came from my initial love for FFXI, which is a much superior game for it's time, I feel. The difficulty of FFXI and how the game's community worked to piece together progression through the game's intricacies has not been matched by an MMO since then.

FFXIV felt more casual-friendly for sure. That being said, FFXIV probably has the best UI, story, graphics and music of any MMO I've ever played. It's really worth a shot if you've never played it. The community is pretty helpful as well. Fantastic whether you wanna just chill with some friends or guild mates, or really get sweaty going for the best gear.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont play MMOs, WoW or FF, but with this thread I skimmed some articles about why WoW has been sinking and FF14 has been growing. And these two games are old as hell.

Interesting reads.

Last edited:

sendit

Sleepwalker Sleepwalker don't listen to him.

I will say my main complaint with FFXIV when it went to A Realm Reborn is that it resembled WoW in terms of it's tab targeting and every move being a weaponskill. That much I will give him.

This sentiment came from my initial love for FFXI, which is a much superior game for it's time, I feel. The difficulty of FFXI and how the game's community worked to piece together progression through the game's intricacies has not been matched by an MMO since then.

FFXIV felt more casual-friendly for sure. That being said, FFXIV probably has the best UI, story, graphics and music of any MMO I've ever played. It's really worth a shot if you've never played it. The community is pretty helpful as well. Fantastic whether you wanna just chill with some friends or guild mates, or really get sweaty going for the best gear.
Trigger Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Top Bottom