• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix's global aspirations hindered by PlayStation exclusivity

Lupin25

Yep, thats what turned tomb raider, deus ex, guardians of the galaxy, and avengers into global smash hits on the level of elden ring. Square Enix is really shooting themselves in the foot by not following their western studios multiplatform rollout

FF games don't sell well on Xbox it's as simple as that .

People actually think an Xbox port would’ve made much a difference in sales.

GOTG being multi-platform didn’t help it sell any better and it was a quality game. If anything, the lack of sales stem from poor rapport (due to FFXV) and shit marketing.

Nobody knows exactly why, as pretty much every other FF game finally made it to Xbox after Sony gave up on all the shares they had in Square-Enix many years ago (only to buy exclusive deals afterwards, theirony.gif). Who tells you they won't be released on Xbox as well ? Who tells you Sony did not pay something to prevent this ? You have no clue.

As usual, you see the same people enforcing the idea that Xbox is not getting JRPGs (and Japanese games as a whole), as if they cared when they actually play on other consoles. How about letting Xbox players enjoy what they get and letting them show their support by buying these games, so that they actually have a chance to get more games like these (virtuous circle), rather than constantly enforcing the idea everywhere that these games don't sell on Xbox and are not profitable for the publisher (quick reminder : you have absolutely no clue about this).

They don’t at this point in time, though?

SE clearly doesn’t see an Xbox port as profitable if they made these timed-exclusive deals in the first place lol.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
What a stupid article.
guess Sony hindered them back in 1997 when Squaresoft became a household name along with Final Fantasy.
if anything going Multiplatform did more damaged then good.

Saber

Gold Member
In the retarded mind of the creator of the article, Sony is blocking Square of launching games on Xbox by a deal made by Square themselves. How dare Sony to accept their deal.

I think the reason he didn't mention that is because those are niche ips. Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, and Dragon quest are Square Enix big ips. Limiting those games exclusivity to one platform hurt the brand and reach of those games.

They sell very poorly there.

People could help them by buying those titles there and support those games.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
SE clearly doesn’t see an Xbox port as profitable if they made these timed-exclusive deals in the first place lol.
Do you know the details behind their reasoning ? So you have no clue.

There are hundreds of reasons to accept a quick cash grab, even if it means less money than going truly multi-platform.

I don't even care about xbox getting the games day one, but to leave out the PC versions day one really perturbs me.

It makes sene from a production stand point. SE may not have the capabilities to develop for two platforms at once. I remember Nixxes doing a lot of their western ports and we see how FF7 Remake turned out.

Its probably far easier and far cheaper to develop for one platform first and take it from there

EDMIX

Square chose to partner with Sony.....

They also chose to partner with Nintendo.

Article is clickbait BS and having it as a thread is console warring territory.

This. ^

This fucking idea that Square wants to move units world wide and do a "global" thing is not relevant to putting shit on XB.

I don't see any evidence to support this to make it sound as if they NEEEEEEED to put their games on XB to reach that global thing they are talking about. When Square was talking about this years ago, it was based on localization, not based on platforms in general or something, but having their games release day and date in the west and east

Plus with stuff like FFXV, KH3, Octopath Traveler etc, they all released in both the west and east around the same exact time, which means Square's comments might have more to do with continuing that and nothing to do with platforms or something as this clickbait is trying to reach to.

What a stupid article. The switch has just as many exclusives as ps4\5 and almost all of them are on pc as well. Only Xbox is left in the dark, but considering how poorly jrpgs in general sell on there, its not worth square's efforts.

This.

I don't know why anyone would even think that anything is "hindered" when we already got a fucking example of how FFXIII, FFXV, KH3 and many more would do on XB. Thus...what is being "hindered" when the answer Square got back to those endeavors was very little return? Like fucking 18% on XB vs 82%...elsewhere lol Thats more then enough for them to realize they can save money by not making that version and still do a "global" thing.

So this just sounds like folks trying to argue XB is NEEDED for a global thing based on what Square is saying, but we already have examples of that not working out to really buy this whole "hindered" thing. If that shit was 48% on XB or something, then I'd support that argument 100%. Its leaving money on the table and a sizeable active install base that loves that IP would buy it, shit look at Yakuza...

but if its so low, those ports may not even be making their money back, Square is right to continue their whole PS, Nintendo, PC combo they have going on with the majority of their catalog. They are right to make MS pay for a Gamepass deal if its now going out of their way to put theses games on a platform that generally doesn't buy em.

I think people need to realize, if those games did great on XB in sales, why would Square enter such a deal if it hurt more then help? I think for some of those games, they are not coming based on low sales, I get that FFXVI and FFVII remake are based on some deal by Sony, but I don't buy that all their games that skip that platform are based on that reason alone, as what? Is Nintendo joining in and paying to have it NOT got to XB or something?

The most simplest answer is really that they don't move enough units to support the port on top of some Sony deal for a select amount of titles like FFXVI.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Tyrannical Sony at it again by enforcing exclusivity deals against the publishers will /s
fmI6R13.gif

shiru

Banned
What a stupid article.
guess Sony hindered them back in 1997 when Squaresoft became a household name along with Final Fantasy.
if anything going Multiplatform did more damaged then good.
Tyrannical Sony at it again by enforcing exclusivity deals against the publishers will /s
Where in the article is Sony being specifically blamed for exclusivity?

Last edited:

Stamps1646

My only real complaint is having to wait 1 to 2 years for Final Fantasy XVI to make it's way to Steam.
At the very least I have so many other games to play in the meantime.

Arsic

Gold Member
LOL stfu SE. This better be a translation error.

These clowns do these deals for the money , otherwise why do them ? They can easily say no, but they know without the deals the return on development costs would be far less because they overspend to create their half assed portfolio .

Dip shits sold how many studios and IPs for Pennie’s last year ?

If SE goes down or gets bought out it’s because they are dog shit with $. For every star ocean the turd and Valkyrie shit stained they waste resources on they could be instead bolstering efforts in giving people quality QA on their products.

Last edited:

EDMIX

My only real complaint is having to wait 1 to 2 years for Final Fantasy XVI to make it's way to Steam.
At the very least I have so many other games to play in the meantime.

True, but I think its like with Rockstar, they don't have a dedicated team for PC (not to my understanding) so they focus on console and then focus on PC after.

I wish lots of their games where day and date on all platforms, but I'd rather have them focus on quality and take their time on the PC version then try to rush it out on several platforms if they are not ready.

Their PC versions have gotten better over the years

Astral Dog

not all games are made equal or have the same targets.

For example no doubt Sony put a big bag of money on the table to help the development of FFVII Remake and FFXVI 💰 while other games come multiplatform.

Square Enix isn't against PlayStation exclusives, they aren't against multiplatform or even Nintendo console exclusives, they just do what makes sense for them at the time, right now its main Final Fantasy on PlayStation and everything else multiplatform

Fanboys can argue whatever and read between lines, but Square's doing (or at least tries to) what is best for them, that means not every game will come to every platform

Last edited:
The reason they make exclusives is because they have no money. Sony and Nintendo basically fund their games.

The Japanese market is getting smaller and smaller. They tried to expand and they failed, proceed to sell their loses. Sony might come in and make a strategic investment. As they done before when Square struggles.

Sony has publishing rights to Final Fantasy VII, the remake was done with their approval.

Yoboman

Leaving the smallest platform with the smallest attach rate put is the big difference they are missing?

The math isn't mathing

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Square Enix doesn't have a fucking clue as to what they're doing. SMH.

EDMIX

I'm saying.

Why even skip them for Octopath 2, if 1 did well and is some huge key to success or something? I can understand if we never got an answer or some IP NEVER came out on XB, then we can argue about what could have been, but we already saw several Final Fantasies, KH titles, Dragon Quest etc. They got more then enough data to tell them it wasn't working out, thus entertained those deals. You don't see EA doing this with titles they own cause they move units on all most platforms, so its not like MS or Sony can go to EA and be like "give us Star Wars Fallen Order" or "Need For Speed" etc, the IPs move too much units across both for either to even afford what EA would even ask...

if they are doing some shit like less then 10% on a platform, it makes sense to move on. We even saw Ubisoft do that to Switch for many, many titles that just didn't see on Nintendo platforms.

What are we going to say? MS and Sony PAID to not have those games go to Wii U, Switch etc?

Then why are people trying to make it sound like Square is doing this by force or reluctantly or making some deal that will hurt the company or something? They tried. It didn't work out, thats all you can ask a company to do at this point.

Leaving the smallest platform with the smallest attach rate put is the big difference they are missing?

The math isn't mathing

Pretty much.

Ubisoft did the same thing with several IP on Switch. They made more sense on PS,PC and XB

Sega even did that with Yakuza on Wii U one time, its not saying they hate them, merely its not a good fit, but Persona was or something. Ironically Yakuza was a good fit for XB and now releases along with PC and PS.

I don't get how this can happen to other publishers and not a damn person is out here with some conspiracy about that, yet Square leaves out their smallest percentage and now suddenly it must be a conspiracy.

Not all IP are created equal and some do better on some install bases then others, which means some of those choices might have nothing to do with a deal by Nintendo, Sony or MS. It might be down to merely a low sale rate on that platform.

Aenima

What I read there is "Square Enix's global aspirations hindered by Square Enix choices", I really don't see how it is Sony's fault...
Cuz if you have a gaming website and want more than 12 ppl to read your article, you need to put Playstation on the title. Square-Enix also made exclusive deals with Nintendo for games like Octopath Traveler and Triangle Strategy.

Last edited:

Lupin25

Do you know the details behind their reasoning ? So you have no clue.

There are hundreds of reasons to accept a quick cash grab, even if it means less money than going truly multi-platform.

What else reason would there be when business is involved in gaming?

If it were profitable (at the time, not today) it would be on Xbox platforms long ago.
It’s clear, whatever Sony paid was enough to satisfy SE to the point Xbox platforms had been excluded entirely.

I'm saying.

Why even skip them for Octopath 2, if 1 did well and is some huge key to success or something? I can understand if we never got an answer or some IP NEVER came out on XB, then we can argue about what could have been, but we already saw several Final Fantasies, KH titles, Dragon Quest etc. They got more then enough data to tell them it wasn't working out, thus entertained those deals. You don't see EA doing this with titles they own cause they move units on all most platforms, so its not like MS or Sony can go to EA and be like "give us Star Wars Fallen Order" or "Need For Speed" etc, the IPs move too much units across both for either to even afford what EA would even ask...

if they are doing some shit like less then 10% on a platform, it makes sense to move on. We even saw Ubisoft do that to Switch for many, many titles that just didn't see on Nintendo platforms.

What are we going to say? MS and Sony PAID to not have those games go to Wii U, Switch etc?

Then why are people trying to make it sound like Square is doing this by force or reluctantly or making some deal that will hurt the company or something? They tried. It didn't work out, thats all you can ask a company to do at this point.

Pretty much.

Ubisoft did the same thing with several IP on Switch. They made more sense on PS,PC and XB

Sega even did that with Yakuza on Wii U one time, its not saying they hate them, merely its not a good fit, but Persona was or something. Ironically Yakuza was a good fit for XB and now releases along with PC and PS.

I don't get how this can happen to other publishers and not a damn person is out here with some conspiracy about that, yet Square leaves out their smallest percentage and now suddenly it must be a conspiracy.

Not all IP are created equal and some do better on some install bases then others, which means some of those choices might have nothing to do with a deal by Nintendo, Sony or MS. It might be down to merely a low sale rate on that platform.

Definitely.

FFXV was horrible, FFXIV had to be overhauled and the franchise lost a LOT of momentum early last-gen.
That is, until FFXIV was massively improved and Sony helped market FF7R as they still had publishing rights of the original FF7.

I’m sure the downward trend of FF early on was reflected in poorer sales (especially in the west) and contributed to how Sony was able to secure a deal for the IP entirely for PS platforms going forward.

Last edited:

Neofire

Who wrote this article? Lol whole thing sounds fishy and we are supposed to believe SE is complaining about deals they are choosing to do lol.

If I would have to guess I bet someone is salty Sony is getting all this exclusivity from SE and certain platforms aren't 👀.

LMAO at pretending Xbox is a global brand. Xbox is big in 3, maybe 4 regions. Everywhere else they are an afterthought behind Sony and Nintendo. Begging they bring their games to Xbox isn't going to change that SE has tried that before and the Xbox fans just arent buying them like on PS, or even Switch.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Surely releasing live a live, ff7 remake & that really nice box art switch game (that I've forgot the name too, played the demo though) on every platform would make more sense.

Especially if they want to expand the ips/brands worldwide on all platforms.

Surprised the writer omitted the exclusive switch titles.
Tactics Ogre Reborn?

LordCBH

I’m sure square misses the 1% sales boost they’d have from other platforms.

But to be fair, they really shouldn’t complain about exclusivity deals when both sides (them and Sony) have to play ball and agree. Hard to feel sympathy on it.

Top Bottom