• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix will "aggressively pursue a multiplatform strategy that includes Nintendo platforms, PlayStation, Xbox, and PCs"

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Good luck trying to convince anyone that doubling current sales (at the very minimum) is a bad thing.
Yeah I imagine sales would have doubled if their games released globally on multiple platforms instead of selling their soul to Sony. Instead of well I'll wait a year to buy this game when it's 50% off.

But I think they should also be transparent with how much it actually sold. Which both Granblue and DD2 had no trouble doing.

Woopah

Pretty much all S-E games will be multiplatform going forward.
Definitely more that last gen for sure. I just think DQIII is an interesting test case as Switch exclusives from SE tend to be either DQ related or HD-2D related (not all of them).

So if that game is on PS/Switch/PC/Xbox at launch, it will really show SE's intentions.

while I wish squeenix well, things like remake outselling rebirth by a good margin indicates that there's more than just limited platforms going on...

Muffdraul

10 million people bought FFXV. A product you earlier insinuated nobody asked for.

I don’t think you’re the best judge of these things, tbh.
When Squeenix very recently made public statements about their disappointing sales, I don't think they were referencing a game from eight years ago. I know it had good sales, but it's also extremely derided by the general fanbase. Because it's almost nothing like the best loved games in the franchise, the ones I specifically named.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
When Squeenix very recently made public statements about their disappointing sales, I don't think they were referencing a game from eight years ago. I know it had good sales, but it's also extremely derided by the general fanbase. Because it's almost nothing like the best loved games in the franchise, the ones I specifically named.
Sold a lot because XIII was the last mainline game that wasn't an MMO. XV had mixed reception, was in dev hell, Nomura bullshit and it's original story scrapped, gutted and reworked among canceled DLC which served to divide an already divisive fanbase.

FF7 Remake comes out with a name implying it was a remake and not a sequel, that causes problems and then XVI comes out pretty much being a FF in name only and functions more like a Single Player FFXIV in a DMC Clone engine which divides the fanbase even more between this game is great and this game is not Final Fantasy.

And of course the Sony onry thing also threw a wrench in there making it even worse.

Last edited:
Definitely more that last gen for sure. I just think DQIII is an interesting test case as Switch exclusives from SE tend to be either DQ related or HD-2D related (not all of them).

So if that game is on PS/Switch/PC/Xbox at launch, it will really show SE's intentions.

Their fanbase has shrunk so much that its to the point exclusivity no longer has value to their brand.

I think if there was a successful PlayStation handheld maybe it would be different.

Guilty_AI

I would buy a lot more GoG games, but GoG's storefront barely functions on linux. Super fucking laggy and painful to access the games to download/update them. I want to use it a lot more than I do, but they really need to work on Linux support, at least for the GoG Galaxy client.
For linux i just go with their installers, using wine and co to run the games.

Ozriel

M$FT

You were the one that claimed they were struggling and making unpopular titles because they derailed from classic FF. You name dropped FFXV as one of the ‘details’.
Let’s not move goalposts.

I think if there was a successful PlayStation handheld maybe it would be different.

it would certainly sell better in Japan

Gambit2483

Honestly I think FF7 Remake will be the first test for Xbox viability. I can see SE definitely making a big deal about porting the game to Switch 2 and then throwing Series X/S a bone with their port being a "test" of sorts. If it doesn't completely bomb sales-wise on X/S then they will consider bringing more titles to the platform.

If it bombs then their Xbox support will be on a very strict case-by-case basis.

Muffdraul

You were the one that claimed they were struggling and making unpopular titles because they derailed from classic FF. You name dropped FFXV as one of the ‘details’.
Let’s not move goalposts.
Don't get me wrong. I actually like FFXV, despite it being FFINO. And as I said, I'm aware it had high sales. Yet it's also "unpopular." FFVIII is one of my personal favorite FFs, and it also enjoyed record setting high sales in its day. Yet, it's one of the most commonly hated on and deeply unpopular FFs in the franchise. I'm not moving jack shit, I just accept the paradox of these games. High sales, high derision among the fans.

proandrad

I hope this means square will stop doing stupid exclusive deals with epic and bring kingdom hearts to steam.

Last edited:

RCU005

Everybody is talking about PS5 exclusivity, but I think Square Enix has more games exclusive to Nintendo Switch than PS5?

Also, the Xbox is about to die. Switch 2 while I believe it will be a great upgrade and a great console, there is no way going to be capable of running a game like Remake Part 3 and many game sin the future.

They are in the right path when they said they want to do less games. Games that run on Nintendo. should be in all consoles. Games not able to run on Nintendo should be on PS and PC. (Maybe Xbox but we have to wait and see what's next for them).

Just hope they port Rebirth soon to PC and hopefully next year to Switch 2. I love the game so much and am scared they will reduce the budget and scope of part 3 because the disappointing sales of Rebirth.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
People worried about switch holding back games should worry more about games just not getting made.

If Switch 2 is as popular as Switch, Japanese developers will be chomping at the bits. They would port current modern games to Switch if it were possible, not every off-site developer would be able to pull a miracle like Witcher 3 on Switch, which is nearly a decade old game now.

Everybody is talking about PS5 exclusivity, but I think Square Enix has more games exclusive to Nintendo Switch than PS5?

The game(s) they made for PS5 would have cost them a lot more to make than the Switch ones, hence they come under extra scrutiny.

SE's president named FFVII-R and 16 by name as underperforming, per Bloomberg. He didn't say that their Switch output underperformed.

Last edited:
Muh exclusives going multiplatform

vlaX9VH.gif

Woopah

Their fanbase has shrunk so much that its to the point exclusivity no longer has value to their brand.

Their fanbase as in PS? I think Nintendo is still interested in DQ exclusivity even with the smaller PS userbase.
Honestly I think FF7 Remake will be the first test for Xbox viability. I can see SE definitely making a big deal about porting the game to Switch 2 and then throwing Series X/S a bone with their port being a "test" of sorts. If it doesn't completely bomb sales-wise on X/S then they will consider bringing more titles to the platform.

If it bombs then their Xbox support will be on a very strict case-by-case basis.
I think it's a bad idea to do tests using ports of years old games, since they have decreased selling power anyway. Tests should instead be new games that come to Xbox the same day as other platforms.

Gambit2483

I think it's a bad idea to do tests using ports of years old games, since they have decreased selling power anyway. Tests should instead be new games that come to Xbox the same day as other platforms.
Ideally yes, but it's also a way to mitigate risks. Publishers did this all the time on Wii and Wii U when they were "testing" sales. Also they might figure if FF7, one of their biggest franchises, can't sell then surely a new unproven IP won't. It might be an enhanced port of some kind with some new content at least to entice sales despite being an older title.

Either way they will definitely test Xbox support, with  some title before going all in.

Go_Ly_Dow

They should be able to get Remake to run on the Switch 2 without many issues since it can run on Steamdeck. There was a rumour last year saying it was running on dev kits with some of the visual features of the PS5 version (I guess improved textures).

I guess to get Rebirth to run on Switch 2 would be a bigger challenge as it's rendering so much more on screen, but considering it runs at like 2160p on PS5 I think dropping the resolution to something like 720p for portable and 1080p docked whilst keeping it at 30fps they could get it to run well with some optimisation.

The problem of those Square enix games is not the exclusivity stuff. The problem is the games they are doing. Those games have too many problems but mostly they feel ancient to play.

Look at Stellar Blade PS5 time limited exclusivity and how great it turned out for them. Imagine if that studio had done a fully fledged FF game ! It could have being epic.

Last edited:
The problem of those Square enix games is not the exclusivity stuff. The problem is the games they are doing. Those games have too many problems but mostly they feel ancient to play.

Look at Stellar Blade PS5 time limited exclusivity and how great it turned out for them.
What are Stellar Blade sales numbers? I haven't been keeping track.

DaGwaphics

When you're making products that clearly not many people seem to want, offering them on more platforms doesn't seem like the smartest solution.

? On the face of it, even if your product only sells to .005% of those with access to it, increasing the amount of those with access should net you more sales.

Square is third-party so helping to build loyalty in any one platform isn't directly beneficial to them. Obviously there is an issue of the cost of the ports, but with everything basically being PC to start with, I doubt supporting more platforms will hurt them all that much.

begotten

I don't think this was posted yet. Unsure what this guy's info source is, or his credibility, but...

Sounds like nonsense to me.

Epic and Sony aren't why (In the time from those deals starting);

- Square mismanaged then cut ties with their Western studios.
- Chased live-service garbage in Babylons' Fall, Foamstars and Marvel Avengers.
- Released shitty ports of Chrono Cross, Valkyrie Lenneth and Tactics Ogre
- Tried to sleep with any platform they could for extra deals on exclusivity for every game under the sun, which is why their catalogue looked random and all over the place (Look at FF Pixel Remasters and Octopath)
- Had a wreckless cadence of games that cannabilized eachother, who was buying all this shit?
- Why FF14 is dying

Square Enix have just been a laughing stock over the last few years when you really look at it.

All the cancelled projects don't bother me when you look at games like Diofield Chronicles. Are people really up in arms and sad they aren't getting more junk like that, that they didn't even play and pay for to begin with!

I think the problem is that they clearly can't budget. It's not like they aren't selling millions of copies. They could make a 2D Final Fantasy game like 6 and sell maybe 1 million units but it would cost significantly less to make.

Woopah

Unless it was built around the Switch 1 or is released years from now, it is not going to have significant sales relative to past games.
As a HD-2D game announced in 2020, I would be surprised if Switch 1 wasn't at least one of its platforms.

Regarding its sales, I can see it doing in line with the 3DS DQ remakes in Japan and better than those games outside it.

Hudo

People worried about switch holding back games should worry more about games just not getting made.
I wonder what "holding back" really means here? Just graphics? Because gameplay and system-wise none of Square's games have done anything that couldn't have been done on the PS360.
In my opinion, God of War 2018 and Ragnarok are being held back (actually made some steps backwards) in terms of gameplay, writing and pacing because of the focus on spectacle and graphics.
Systems "holding back" games is such a stupid argument.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I wonder what "holding back" really means here? Just graphics? Because gameplay and system-wise none of Square's games have done anything that couldn't have been done on the PS360.
In my opinion, God of War 2018 and Ragnarok are being held back (actually made some steps backwards) in terms of gameplay, writing and pacing because of the focus on spectacle and graphics.
Systems "holding back" games is such a stupid argument.
Yeah I was going to say something similar.

We’ve fundamentally been playing the same games outside of graphics since the PS360 era. Hell nobody even talks about physics or enemy AI anymore.

Games have more “quality of life” features now but those also aren’t limited by platforms only design.

I’m not a graphics whore so none of this stuff bothers me.

Really it’s if something is also designed for mobile phone gaming where we will be seeing some compromising / simplification of games. There’s my one fear out of recent trends. It’s the real golden goose for tech executives, those 1 billion “gamers.”

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I wonder if he is aware that this isn't due to any sort of exclusivity.

They were games with much higher budgets than any of their Switch output, and they reportedly under performed. Drawing a parallel between their performance and exclusivity is hardly surprising.

Top Bottom