• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix upcoming games look like they came straight out from the 90s

CitizenZ

Banned
I'm really pleased that they are doing this. It's so refreshing compared to the boring AAA output from other devs. The recent SE releases have been bangers and the Live a Live demo on the Switch store is really, really good. Keep them coming. No reason to complain about it or question it.

LOL, all priced at $60 and = to that AAA boring output you speak of.

Myths

About time they got with the program. Outside of FF14 holding them together for the better part of the last decade, yeah… much needed to be done.

Swift_Star

Banned
Low budget, low effort remake

Doesn't exist. It's a action spin off called Devil May Profile. Nothing similar to 90s or 00s Valkyrie Profile

Tri-Ace, nothing similar to 90s

Low budget, low effort and is not even close to being similar to Harvest Moon or Rune Factory

Bad game, nothing similar to 90s

Devil May Cry of Thrones Fantasy 16. Nothing similar to 90s

No idea, but no way they're giving it a big budget

Remaster
Sassy Red Wine GIF by Married At First Sight

These are the people responsible for we having one game per generation from a publisher. Then they proceed to crying the output is low… what do they expect? Multi million budget games? GTFO.

Last edited:

Teslerum

You see the contradiction here right?

Live a Live is a faithful remake updating it to what many did love about Octopath. The HD2D graphics. I wouldn't have it any other way.
(Not to mention it brings a game over that never officially left japan)
If a big budget GRAPHIZ remake was given chances are it would even up like the FF7 remake and end up quite different.

So there's no winning with you. Damned if you do stay faithful, damned if you don't.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
You see the contradiction here right?

Live a Live is a faithful remake updating it to what many did love about Octopath. The HD2D graphics. I wouldn't have it any other way.
(Not to mention it brings a game over that never officially left japan)
If a big budget GRAPHIZ remake was given chances are it would even up like the FF7 remake and end up quite different.

So there's no winning with you. Damned if you do stay faithful, damned if you don't.

it's possible to do a big budget remake without making a bad game like FF7R. See THPS and Diablo 2.

Teslerum

it's possible to do a big budget remake without making a bad game like FF7R. See THPS and Diablo 2.
Neither of those games are high budget remakes on F7R's level. They're about the same level of remade as Live a Live compared to the originals.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’m glad it’s headed in this direction. I would much rather have unreleased re-releases of classic games, remasters, remakes, or a continuation in an ongoing franchise.

I get more excited seeing something I haven’t seen in 20 years versus some of the more anime inspired JRPGs. Sometimes Square would make something and it comes off as super unappealing to the classic Square fan. There’s the 3rd Birthday, those mobile FF games, FFXV, various Dungeon and Romancing Saga games, and misc FF/DQ entries that just feel obscure. They don’t have the same Super Famicom/SNES/PS1 look to them. I don’t exactly want to keep a lot of their titles on my shelf except maybe Nier.

I’d say it’s good that they’ve done this, but it kinda proves they don’t do too well when they forget about their past and why people like them.

It’s weird cause I don’t find myself liking the same things as some so called Square-Enix super fan, but I love classic Square games (Xenogears, Vagrant Story, Parasite Eve, Mana series, etc). I also felt like Dissidia was overkill. I didn’t need all those classic stories merged into one game. I use to buy all their games in the 90’s/00’s. Now I’m hand picking which games I buy from them and most of the time I pick the already established franchises.

93xfan

Banned
Wish they would also give us some older games like Illusion of Gaia, Chrono Trigger and the Final Fantasy games. Would love to play them again

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Most of the titles I'll be buying from now till the end of the year are from SE, the only exceptions are:

- Klonoa
- Soul Hackers 2
- Trails from Zero
- No More Heroes III
- God of War: Ragnarok

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
S-E has always cranked out tons of remakes, remasters, and sequels. I feel like you could’ve made this thread almost any year since the early 2000s

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Doesn't exist. It's a action spin off called Devil May Profile. Nothing similar to 90s or 00s Valkyrie Profile

Tri-Ace, nothing similar to 90s

Low budget, low effort and is not even close to being similar to Harvest Moon or Rune Factory

Devil May Cry of Thrones Fantasy 16. Nothing similar to 90s

No idea, but no way they're giving it a big budget

Remaster

I think we have come to the conclusion numerous times that you have zero credibility when discussing games.

peronmls

We are in the age of remakes, remasters and reboots. New high budget IPs are just too much of a risk for companies now and days.

Rykan

Didn't most of these franchises get sequels or installments after the 90's though?

Last edited:

Bkdk

Really glad they are most back to this, their worst recent releases are those avenger games. For their upcoming line up, forspoken is the only game I have 0 interest on.

Barakov

Gold Member
-LIVE A LIVE
-Valkyrie Profile 3
-Star Ocean: The Divine Force
-Harvestella Moon
-Final Fantasy VII R
-Final Fantasy XVI
-Dragon Warrior III 2D HD
-Front Mission 1 & 2
-Tactics Ogre R (still unofficial but pretty much leaked)
-Romancing Saga Minstrel Song

This is some serious deja vu going on here guys, are we time traveling right now?

zhYVT0y.gif
nTbKS60.gif
iBUdBqV.gif
90S Nickelodeon GIF

LIVE A LIVE is a remake of a Super Famicom game from 1994

Valkyrie Elysium is the last game in the Valkyrie Profile series which started in 1999

Star Ocean The Divine Force is the last game in a series that started on 1996

Harvestella clearly takes inspiration from Harvest Moon a farming RPG from 1996

Final Fantasy VII R not much to say here it's the remake, OG FFVII came out in 1997

Final Fantasy XVI Ok yeah this one could be removed I just crossed out the X so it could read as FFVI an FF game from 1994

Dragon Warrior III 2D HD(or Dragon Quest III) is a remake of a game that came out in 1991 in North America for the NES

Front Mission 1 & 2 are upcoming remakes of SRPGs from 1995 & 1997

Tactics Ogre R is a remake (remaster?) of an SRPG from 1995

Romancing Saga Minstrel Song is a remaster from a remake of a 1992 RPG

God how is Tactics Orgre from 1995?! I remember when that first got released. I loved it. Couldn't stop playing it. In my eyes it's the best SJRPG ever made, surpassing even FF Tactics but only slightly.

That game will be my personal GOTY and if there's a LE version being done for it I'm so there.

Teslerum

God how is Tactics Orgre from 1995?! I remember when that first got released. I loved it. Couldn't stop playing it. In my eyes it's the best SJRPG ever made, surpassing even FF Tactics but only slightly.

That game will be my personal GOTY and if there's a LE version being done for it I'm so there.
If you're not japanese it's much more probable you played the playstation version in 1998. That's probably why.

If you're not japanese it's much more probable you played the playstation version in 1998. That's probably why.

It makes me feel very old but very happy SE are putting out these games again. Glad they are going back to their roots and catering to the audience they know have been there from the start.

I don't remember the platform I played TO on. I just remember playing the shit out of it and loving every second.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

-LIVE A LIVE
-Valkyrie Profile 3
-Star Ocean: The Divine Force
-Harvestella Moon
-Final Fantasy VII R
-Final Fantasy XVI
-Dragon Warrior III 2D HD
-Front Mission 1 & 2
-Tactics Ogre R (still unofficial but pretty much leaked)
-Romancing Saga Minstrel Song

This is some serious deja vu going on here guys, are we time traveling right now?

zhYVT0y.gif
nTbKS60.gif
iBUdBqV.gif
So do a lot of the graphics.

Pallas

Gold Member
Now they just need to remaster SaGa Frontier 2, it’s a pretty solid lineup though!

Also, there’s the Front Mussion mobile game, not sure if they’re directly involved with it though.

Top Bottom