• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix upcoming games look like they came straight out from the 90s

kyussman

Good for them.....I wish I could go back to the 90's,I was in my early 20's going to Pantera concerts,men were men,women were women and Greta Thunberg was space dust.

Go_Ly_Dow

2023-2024 should be a very strong period.

-Final Fantasy XVI
-Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
-Dragon Quest XII
-Kingdom Hearts 4

Maybe FFIX Remake, Chrono Trigger HD-2D remake and a few other surprises with some luck, such as a NieR sequel or new IP from the team.

GymWolf

I'm just going to assume we're not joking here.

A 3rd Parasite Eve game exists and you nearly described the plot of it.

The_3rd_Birthday_Cover.png
Of course i was joking, doesn't english people say that something never existed when they wanna forget something very bad??

But we were talking about pe1, and that one doesn't deserve his plot ruined by hacks like nomura.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
You don't need to spend a fortune to make a good game.
Nowadays Square-Enix either makes a very low effort low budget game, or a whooping hundred million dollar project that is as uninspired and boring as you can get.
Just look at Wonder Boy Dragon's Trap to see how to remake a game the right way. They certainly didn't spend a fortune on it.

Yeah, that's the worst thing about those remakes. Nothing beats pixel art mixed with photorealistic lighting and particle effects.

If you're going to remake something, at least modernize it somehow.
Make it all 3D like Nintendo did with their remakes or make something Wonder Boy Dragon's Trap level.

Yet you bother replying to me. Just put me on ignore, problem solved. Or keep crying about it, your choice.
The games are good. Strangers of Paradise is a success. Like I said: GTFO.

Swift_Star

Banned
Of course i was joking, doesn't english people say that something never existed when they wanna forget something very bad??

But we were talking about pe1, and that one doesn't deserve his plot ruined by hacks like nomura.
3rd Birthday was directed by Tabata.
The Nomura hate is pretty sad at this point.

GymWolf

3rd Birthday was directed by Tabata.
The Nomura hate is pretty sad at this point.
I was talking about ff7 nomura work of course, maybe you missed when i said that it's better for pe to stay dead instead of following the example of ff7 remake...

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Nowadays Square-Enix either makes a very low effort low budget game, or a whooping hundred million dollar project that is as uninspired and boring as you can get.
Just look at Wonder Boy Dragon's Trap to see how to remake a game the right way. They certainly didn't spend a fortune on it.

Yeah, that's the worst thing about those remakes. Nothing beats pixel art mixed with photorealistic lighting and particle effects.

Make it all 3D like Nintendo did with their remakes or make something Wonder Boy Dragon's Trap level.

Yet you bother replying to me. Just put me on ignore, problem solved. Or keep crying about it, your choice.
I think you just don't like the HD2D style and use that to call those games "low effort and low buget".

I don't agree that they are cheaply made at all. Yeah they aren't big productions but lets be honest, if Square was focusing only on big budget projects, we weren't getting half of the games on OP's list, and that would be sad because imo some of those look very cool.

And I don't think you need to reinvent the wheel for a remake, specially if it's one of a game from the 90s. I see remakes like RE4 or TLOU to be pointless wastes of funds, but... A remake of a game from the 90s, which most people nowadays haven't even heard about? Give it some cool shinny graphics (I like HD2D), improve the gameplay with some QoL shit, and we have a gem.

Best thing about it is that if those are succesfull, we might get a proper sequel to those games with a proper budget. Same goes for Valkyrie Elisium, it looks (and is) cheap spinoff but hey, if it succeeds it's just more chances of we getting Valkyrie Profile 3 in the future.

Swift_Star

Banned
I think you just don't like the HD2D style and use that to call those games "low effort and low buget".

I don't agree that they are cheaply made at all. Yeah they aren't big productions but lets be honest, if Square was focusing only on big budget projects, we weren't getting half of the games on OP's list, and that would be sad because imo some of those look very cool.

And I don't think you need to reinvent the wheel for a remake, specially if it's one of a game from the 90s. I see remakes like RE4 or TLOU to be pointless wastes of funds, but... A remake of a game from the 90s, which most people nowadays haven't even heard about? Give it some cool shinny graphics (I like HD2D), improve the gameplay with some QoL shit, and we have a gem.

Best thing about it is that if those are succesfull, we might get a proper sequel to those games with a proper budget. Same goes for Valkyrie Elisium, it looks (and is) cheap spinoff but hey, if it succeeds it's just more chances of we getting Valkyrie Profile 3 in the future.
Not only that. It’s good that publishers are investing in AA games again. We don’t need AAA games all the time. Smaller projects are good too.

Scotty W

Gold Member
Made by who? I doubt they would put their best artists, composers and writers on this.

It’s really unlikely to recapture the magic from back then.

It is clear that they are willing to put talented artists on new/old projects like Octopath Traveller. In fact, this whole thread is about them trying to recapture the magic from the 8 and 16 bit eras. At some point, they are going to realize that there is a lot of demand for the style of their best selling era.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Dude you could go back to any year from the last 2 decades and come up with an impressive-sounding list of upcoming S-E games that includes lots of remasters and sequels. This isn’t a “renaissance” it’s business as usual.

Now if FF XVI releases on time as a finished product and is generation-defining JRPG we’re all hoping for, then you can call it a renaissance.

NahaNago

I think they seem to be getting back to their late 90s self with this mixture of AAA and below games. Now if a lot of these games are actually good then I can say that they are almost there. I do think that the fact that folks are into the more retro style helps out with them having more variety since I'm thinking it is probably cheaper to do.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Nah, no tear's here kiddo. But you bring enough whining and crying into all threads you enter.

Metnut

I know Square Enix takes a lot of shit here (after FF13 and FF15 much of its deserved) but IMO they are really kicking ass lately. FF7R, DQ11 and Triangle Strategy are three of the games I’ve enjoyed the most recently.

The upcoming catalog of releases is loaded with interesting stuff too.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I know Square Enix takes a lot of shit here (after FF13 and FF15 much of its deserved) but IMO they are really kicking ass lately. FF7R, DQ11 and Triangle Strategy are three of the games I’ve enjoyed the most recently.

Dungeon Encounters and Voice of Cards were pretty great as well.

Labadal

-LIVE A LIVE
-Valkyrie Profile 3
-Star Ocean: The Divine Force
-Dragon Warrior III 2D HD
-Front Mission 1 & 2
-Tactics Ogre R (still unofficial but pretty much leaked)
-Romancing Saga Minstrel Song
I will probably get all of these at some point.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I am really glad that the DQ3 remake + RS port are the only ones on the list with the traditional FF/DQ turn based combat system.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

When it comes to JRPGs and Japanese games in general, they are almost all good to great. There are a few blunders here and there like Balan or FFXIII, but even FFXV was still enjoyable despite its shortcomings.

Square also has increasingly better and better Indie to A/AA titles than most other developers. Dungeon Encounters, Voice of Cards, pretty much anything from Tokyo Factory. Really fun stuff!

KàIRóS

Wish Live a Live and Front Mission Remakes we're coming out on other consoles as well.

They are probably getting PC ports, that's the trend with SE games at least, they have console exclusivity but they eventually make PC ports, not exactly high quality ports though.

Top Bottom