• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix - reported ~£48 million loss driven by Marvel Avengers

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Funny how some charlatans report only the bad/controversial part of the news.

For the record, Square Enix reported strong financial results across the board, with all income/profit numbers up. Avengers may have gone below expectations, but everything else did well, including FFVII Remake, catalog repeat sales, FFXIV subscriber numbers are on the rise, mobile is doing great, and so forth.

Last edited:

Jose92

[Membe
Wonder how much Spider-Man helped
Are you trying to say that having an exclusive character on a certain platform have caused people not to buy it on other platforms?

At the end of the day make good games get good sales, make boring games filled with mtx you will get such results even with marvel avengers slapped on the name.

Andodalf

Banned
Are you trying to say that having an exclusive character on a certain platform have caused people not to buy it on other platforms?

At the end of the day make good games get good sales, make boring games filled with mtx you will get such results even with marvel avengers slapped on the name.

I was wondering if the money they made of the exclusive deal helped make up for any lost sales of not having Spider-Man be more prominent in the game. Spider-Man sells and he's not in the game yet, and will only be a footnote because he's exclusive.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I'm not surprised considering the state of the game. That said, doesn't Square Enix have a history of massive over expectation? I'm pretty sure they did the same thing with Tomb Raider and Deus Ex.

McCarth

Tons of people online give 343 a lot of crap for how their staff isn't the problem but instead it's the management holding the studio back. I'd make the argument this is even more apparent at SE, and has been for years.

No company in gaming would benefit more from an injection of new talent in upper management than SE.

Last edited:

Allandor

Sony buying avengers brand would be as big as M buying bethesda.
That is from Disney. You can't buy something from them, just license things.
Sony already licensed spiderman exclusivity and make great games from those. I really don't think that the other superheros would be more interesting.

A big chunk of the high production costs should be licenses. And the totally missed the window for an avangers game. They should have launched it with or a bit before the last movie and not a while after that. The hype has long gone.

MiguelItUp

The game sounded like it had some potential in the very beginning, but then it just continued to get worse and worse as it approached its release. I won't automatically shit on GaaS just because it's GaaS, I mean, if it's done well it can actually be okay. The problem is a lot of them just aren't.

Avengers hit a point in its development where it looked like it just shit on potential fans and just wanted their money. It looked like hard nickel and diming surrounding incredibly lackluster gameplay. But MAN did this game somehow acquire some dedicated fans.

If you loved or enjoyed the game, good for you, I'm happy for you! But man, so many of its fans were really harsh to folks that didn't care for it, it was strange lmao. It was like some bizarre Avengers cult.

This game fell on its face, and that's good. The kind of shitty monetization they were doing should not be praised.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
283945.full.gif

GymWolf

That is from Disney. You can't buy something from them, just license things.
Sony already licensed spiderman exclusivity and make great games from those. I really don't think that the other superheros would be more interesting.

A big chunk of the high production costs should be licenses. And the totally missed the window for an avangers game. They should have launched it with or a bit before the last movie and not a while after that. The hype has long gone.
I think you understimate a bit how big avengers brand is even after a year from the last big game.

A sony game for capt and one for iron man would probably sell more than 80% of bethesda brands...

Superheroes always sell good if the games are good.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
What a disaster. Nothing really more to say. They thought the audience would eat it up due to the name and didn't make a compelling game. WHo knows, maybe it will have legs once they do more work, but I have my doubts.

They could fix this game by releasing a DLC/season pass with all MTX included. Flesh out the levels a bit. I think the base (idea) worked, it was just sullied a bit and full of bugs. The demo crashed on me twice within the first 2 mins (X1X)

GymWolf

Square Enix doesn't own the avengers brand and if you think Disney's going to sell it to Sony... well... I don't think I need to comment on that lol.
Ok not buying the complete brand of course, but at least paying the license for a couple of characters like they did with spiderman.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Funny to see the usual toxic, cancerous prattle about Sony or Microsoft buying this or that. That Bethesda thing really made many objectively dumber, it seems. So many people are so eager to prevent millions of other gamers from playing the games they want, it seems.

dottme

I do think a good super heroe game would have sold well.
But the publisher are trying to find a way to push monetization without getting the player too angry and are failing hard.
Also, it feels the focus is on how to get the best MTX instead of trying to get the best game.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
GI has a different audience than an Avengers Game or any other super hero game. Imagine if Spiderman came with gaas shit. It would be destroyed. His joy is well placed.

That's an absolutely silly take. I'm absolutely not a fan of GAAS (besides for MMORPGs), but it can work with literally ANY franchise. All it takes is for the game to be good, wich Genshin Impact is, and Avengers isn't.

GAAS isn't going anywhere, whether we like it or not. May as well get used to the idea.

Last edited:

RedCarp04

Banned
Doesn't help the game haven't had any major updates in like 2 months, that's pretty much a death kneel for any GaaS games. Like what the point of making it GaaS if you aren't gonna support it as one?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It was a pretty big arrow to the knee after Batman and Spider-Man. It was also super short. They spent so much time on getting things started and it felt very generic until 3/4 the game was already over. Batman and Spider-Man both had interesting plots and they were fun to play between missions. This played like any other mission based semi-open world game. It doesn’t have a lot of lasting appeal to it.

retsof624

idk what in the fuck possessed Crystal Dynamics to make the game the way they did. It started off good with the story missions but the forced, repetitive ass MP-type missions ruined it. Fucking morons.

Top Bottom