• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix - reported ~£48 million loss driven by Marvel Avengers

Blond

Banned
That beta was such a complete waste because it was obvious that it’s basically Destiny with Marvel character’s and shit “brawler” combat.

Stuart360

Its funny in a way because you can tell they thought 'Marvel', 'The Avengers', 'this is a sure fire thing, 100%' lol.
Yes that can happen somethimes, but a poor game will still show through in the end, and have an effect.

Valentino

Crystal for the longest time has done nothing to distinct themselves as they've cherry picked gameplay and styles from other games and done as sub standard job at it. They've got this "sticking to their guns" kind of mentality since the new Tomb Raider games started. They lack something major but they show so much potential every time.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
They greenlight Avengers in 2016, when Destiny was the future of multiplayer.

Then PUBG happens in 2017.
Then Fortnite happens in 2018.
Then Apex Legends happens in 2019.
Then Warzone happens in 2020.

Battle Royale became the torch bearer of multiplayer, not the looter shooter.

They should have completely scrapped the project in 2017/2018.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

Feel free to keep raging forever then. It's your mental health.

Your definition of franchise sucks.

That's the other definition of franchise, which has nothing to do with this topic.

Applied to this topic, "franchise" is a synonym of "IP."

Last edited:

NickFire

The game felt like a single player game pigeon holed into a gaas to me. I honestly can't decide if they were too ambitious or not ambitious enough.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
a game franchise is a set of games in the same universe/name/whatever. Are we going in circles with definitions? Your post made no sense. Give it up.

"give up because I say so!"

Lol. Pathetic.

A game franchise is a set of games, movies, or any sort of media set in a specific IP. The franchise is related to the IP, not to the gameplay or anything beyond the IP.

All franchises can work with GAAS, because GAAS is simply a business model. It's not rocket science, and I can't explain in a much simpler way than this just because you're not equipped to understand.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Just realized Crystal Dynamics have pretty much just been doing Tomb Raider for the last 15 years. I bet they were so happy for a change lol, too bad the game sucks though.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Or just turned it into a fantastic single player game which would have been received to great acclaim and sold shit loads across all platforms.

Single player games are expensive and take a while to make.

Those 4 BR games all took less than 2 years to develop with much smaller budgets...and all 4 smashed through the single player profit ceiling. Apex Legends just made over 1 Billion dollars.

"give up because I say so!"

Lol. Pathetic.

A game franchise is a set of games, movies, or any sort of media set in a specific IP. The franchise is related to the IP, not to the gameplay or anything beyond the IP.

All franchises can work with GAAS, because GAAS is simply a business model. It's not rocket science, and I can't explain in a much simpler way than this just because you're not equipped to understand.

You're a dumbass and you clearly have no idea of what you actually wrote or are writing. You're either talking about the literal term of franchise or game franchises. Gaas by definition is games as a service. Games. GAMES. Read a fucking dictionary.

200.gif

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For anyone who played the game, is it similar to the preview videos?

All I remember is a good looking game with really canned gameplay and cinematics, all while you fight like they try to guide you down a path.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
You're a dumbass and you clearly have no idea of what you actually wrote or are writing. You're either talking about the literal term of franchise or game franchises. Gaas by definition is games as a service. Games. GAMES. Read a fucking dictionary.

The fact that you're foaming at the mouth and spewing childish profanities doesn't exactly add much solidity to what you're saying, not that it had any to begin with.

GAAS can apply to any franchise which doesn't mean it can apply to any game because there are certain genres with which it doesn't work well. They're two different concepts. It's simply a fact. Live with it.

Last edited:

Fitzchiv

Squenix won't learn will they? They're never happy just developing a good game and seeing it sell. They fucked DX with trashy microtransactions and ripping content to force DLC, and now this has happened.

Bodom78

Game is trash, I'm up to Iron Man in what they call their story mode and struggling to find a reason to continue.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

yep rebooted it as a single player story game. What wasted potential

The fact that you're foaming at the mouth and spewing childish profanities doesn't exactly add much solidity to what you're saying, not that it had any to begin with.

GAAS can apply to any franchise which doesn't mean it can apply to any game because there are certain genres with which it doesn't work well. They're two different concepts. It's simply a fact. Live with it.

Yeah dumbasses and gaas lovers annoy me. Gtfo.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
yep rebooted it as a single player story game. What wasted potential

The thing I believe you're missing is the desire of these companies to go and stake their claim in the new frontier of multiplayer.

It's the California gold rush of the 1800's.

These companies don't want to make decent livings being farmers in New York.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
The thing I believe you're missing is the desire of these companies to go and stake their claim in the new frontier of multiplayer.

It's the California gold rush of the 1800's.

These companies don't want to make decent livings being farmers in New York.

true, kinda funny Fortnite did marvel better that very season....

Leewan

A relatively unknown character headlining over the recognizable avengers in the marketing. Check

Promoting the death of captain America cliff hanger, which might not be an obvious fake to super casuals. Check.

Take marvels most popular character by merchandise sales and make him console exclusive. Check

Have an all star cast of generic voices that sound like that dude or that girl in all my other games. Check

Ignore the fact the world is exposed to more than the original 5 MCU avengers in the last decade. Check

sink money into an online game with limited character options. check

what could possibly go wrong if you are an exec green lighting this game?

Hudo

Crystal Dynamics was always a bad studio. The only thing they were good at was graphics.
I don't know if I agree with this statement. They resurrected Tomb Raider after the shitshow that was Angel of Darkness. They also made the Soul Reaver games, which are pretty good. So they certainly have some competence. It's just that capeshit coupled with out of touch executives who pushed that game to have a GAAS model led to this expected outcome...

Disney should waste their own ressources on capeshit games.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
That is from Disney. You can't buy something from them, just license things.
Sony already licensed spiderman exclusivity and make great games from those. I really don't think that the other superheros would be more interesting.

Reform Radical Entertainment(makers of Prototype) and give me a Venom game and I'll never ask for a superhero game again.

sublimit

Banned
I don't know if I agree with this statement. They resurrected Tomb Raider after the shitshow that was Angel of Darkness. They also made the Soul Reaver games, which are pretty good. So they certainly have some competence. It's just that capeshit coupled with out of touch executives who pushed that game to have a GAAS model led to this expected outcome...

Disney should waste their own ressources on capeshit games.
No they didn't. They just turned the franchise into something else entirely and raped its corpse. They have always been unable to make a proper TR game and with the reboot they finally stopped even trying to make one.

Last edited:

GloveSlap

You're not wrong. I feel like BR players are way more willing to switch games as well.

Hudo

No they didn't. They just turned the franchise into something else entirely and raped its corpse. They have always been unable to make a proper TR game and with the reboot they finally stopped even trying to make one.
But weren't Tomb Raider Legend, Anniversary and Underworld basically "what if Core Design hadn't fucked up"-type of games? Those were pretty straightforward evolutions of that formula. However, you are right with the "Nu-Raider" trilogy, I give you that. It's like they went "oh shit, those Uncharted games are selling, huh? Maybe we need to get ourselves some of that interactive movie shit as well!".

Jose92

[Membe
3.000.000 X ~50 = ~150.000.000
150.000.000 > 100.000.000
Dont forget this is the cost of development not taking into consideration the money paid to license the Marvel characters and universe, the marketing, and the cut taken by the platform holders.

Tons of people online give 343 a lot of crap for how their staff isn't the problem but instead it's the management holding the studio back. I'd make the argument this is even more apparent at SE, and has been for years.

No company in gaming would benefit more from an injection of new talent in upper management than SE.
SE have been trash since the end of the ps2. they've been awful for over 10 years.
They are indeed the worst managed big name studio out there.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
The game would normally have gotten a boost during the holiday season when parents looking for video games would grab this title without thinking twice. I mean, it's an Avengers game featuring Cap and Iron Man, how could you go wrong? Perfect gift, right? But the shopping season will be a complete bust this year due to corona. That will dampen projected sales too.

Top Bottom