• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix - reported ~£48 million loss driven by Marvel Avengers

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
3.000.000 X ~50 = ~150.000.000
150.000.000 > 100.000.000
The hit isn't revenue/profit vs. $100M costs.

It's forecasted revenue/profits vs. expectations. And by the looks of it they are at 60% of what they wanted. Or -40% what they thought they'd be at.

Huge miss.

That's like a company expecting to report $1.00/share earnings. And they come in reporting 60 cents.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
But weren't Tomb Raider Legend, Anniversary and Underworld basically "what if Core Design hadn't fucked up"-type of games? Those were pretty straightforward evolutions of that formula. However, you are right with the "Nu-Raider" trilogy, I give you that. It's like they went "oh shit, those Uncharted games are selling, huh? Maybe we need to get ourselves some of that interactive movie shit as well!".
No not even close.
I have made very extensive posts all these years i've been in this forum about the faults of the LAU trilogy and how Crystal couldn't get it right even when they remade the original game but of course if you compare them with the Reboot trilogy they are closer to the classics.But that's only because the Reboots are TR only in name.

Hudo

No not even close.
I have made very extensive posts all these years i've been in this forum about the faults of the LAU trilogy and how Crystal couldn't get it right even when they remade the original game but of course if you compare them with the Reboot trilogy they are closer to the classics.But that's only because the Reboots are TR only in name.
Oh okay, then. I am not really that much into Tomb Raider, so I can only speak from an outside perspective on that. Interesting! I have played the Soul Reaver games, however, and I think they're pretty good (Didn't care much for Legacy of Kain...).

The last Tomb Raider game I played for real was Tomb Raider 4, haha (I remember liking it).

sublimit

Banned
Oh okay, then. I am not really that much into Tomb Raider, so I can only speak from an outside perspective on that. Interesting! I have played the Soul Reaver games, however, and I think they're pretty good (Didn't care much for Legacy of Kain...).

The last Tomb Raider game I played for real was Tomb Raider 4, haha (I remember liking it).
To be also fair i haven't played any other of their games besides Tomb Raider. Legend was my first Crystal Dynamics game and i hated it so much that i didn't even want to try their older games.

Katajx

Gold Member
This game will be fine as long as the new content is good. The story that shipped with the game was enjoyable on its own.

The problem in my opinion is the lack of meaningful content after the story and at max level.

Yes, there are things to do, but not things I want to do over and over without friends.

fermcr

Guess Sony's money for FF7 Remake and FF16 aren't helping much?

Square making stupid exclusive deals like these only help the platform owner (Sony).

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I played the game as a single-player story and I really enjoyed my time with it. I'm not sure about the multiplayer side because I have no interest in that but the foundation is great.

Even Destiny and Division I played solo so I don't get these complaints about GAAS. It shouldn't stop you from playing it. It's optional.

TrebleShot

This game was a hot mess from the moment it was announced. I kept well clear and have zero interest in shoe Horning franchises into this GAAS model.

Valonquar

Anyone that saw the first Avengers trailer could tell it was going to be trash. Honestly don't see how they could fuck up so badly with those character models.

InDaGulag

Any plan to reboot this game that does not involve crossplay and crossprogression is dead in the water when every other GAAS game has those features or has plans to add them. What kind of popular GAAS game doesn't allow you to play with your friends on other platforms in 2020?

But... oh wait... that might not be legally possible with Avengers because of the Sony Spider-Man moneyhat agreement. Oops.

Last edited:

quickwhips

bad design of the characters. Should have made a 6 player coop campaign game that you could play solo like the old arcade game but with prettier graphics and open world maybe?

longdi

Banned
The game always looks generic with ripoff bad art. Whoever greenlighted the budget for it, needs to go.

This looks like an opening for Phil to open that warchest again. :messenger_savoring:

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Etw1b2w.jpg

Well, what did we learn Squeenix?

Top Bottom