• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SQUARE ENIX President Says Japanese Developers Shouldn’t Imitate Western Titles

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Yosuke-Matsuda-1536x1059.jpeg

In an interview with Gendai Business (through Yahoo Japan), Yosuke Matsuda discussed that SQUARE ENIX could not make good games by just imitating Western developers. Yosuke Matsuda stated (translated through DeepL), “Interestingly, however, even if Japanese imitate Western games, they will not be able to produce good ones. The drawings of monsters and the visual and audio effects are all somewhat Japanese. And players around the world know that this is what makes Japanese games good.” Yosuke Matsuda articulated, “Overseas markets are important, but it is not enough to develop for them.”

The interview centered around the dialogue of SQUARE ENIX’s future possibilities in light of gaming’s steady climb in the charts, initiating a brief nod to how important gaming is to some. “I believe that playing is a sign that one is a person,” he stated in the interview. “As it is said that people are creatures of play – homo Ludens – and without entertainment, I believe the mind would die.” Yosuke Matsuda returned to the topic with more vital points, “Nowadays, the game market has become globalized. The domestic market used to be large, but now it is spoiled next to China and the US; If you are not recognized even globally, you cannot do business.”

Razvedka

Banned
Well yes, but also no.

Japanese should absolutely emulate western technological innovation and UX practices. Japanese are extremely weak on these fronts relative to their western peers (generally speaking). Everything else I completely agree, keep their unique identity.

The problem with SE is that they have no quality control, instead of delaying (or even canceling if it's unsalvageable) they just ship them in fucked up states.

Babylon's Fall, Balan Wonderworld, Left Alive, The Quiet Man, Avengers, etc, that's just way too many duds in a short amount of time. There's also embarrassing technical issues like in Final Fantasy Origin and the Chrono Cross remaster.

Square Enix is currently working on Forspoken. Either this person is not aware of what their company is doing or this is just some usual PR talk. I'd say is the latter.
What is wrong with Forspoken?

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Totally true.

Although...not sure if he is aware of some recent cases of SE titles. But since hes obviously talking about the cultural aspect of their games (style, music, artisic vision), I think he is totally right.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

ethomaz

Banned
So why their games tries to imitated west?
I mean look what shit become FFXV trying to cater west?
Or more recently how Forspoken is?

Last edited:

Nonehxc

Japanese suit Big Boss gets all traditional and culturally proud. Fans rejoice. 😃

Then proceeds to sign on yet another technologically destitute game with European Medieval/Illumination/Renaissance design. Or English Steampunk. 🙄

Here in the West we love Asian culture and imagery. It's THEM who seem hellbent on force-feeding us their take on European everything running on a limp engine with low effort low res textures everywhere.

Because of course, we western love that. Or so they seem to think since the 2000s.

How I would love for another Okami to happen... 😢

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Japanese-ness isn't expressed solely in terms of visual design, its a lot deeper and more subtle than that.

Elden Ring is a perfect example. I don't think there's anything in there that screams "Japan", and yet its a game no Western studio could ever come up with exactly.

Kokoloko85

Stuff like this just sounds dumb and too vague.

Its video games. Theres not deep culture behind it.. Western developers arent the same as each other so you cant group them as one.
Santa Monica is totally different to anyone at EA/ or Ubisoft. And so much more. Yes please copy Santa Monica, but no thanks dont copy Dice for example.

Just dont copy for the sake of it. Use good ideas and mechanics regardless if they are they are “japanese” or “western:” and add to it and innovate if needed

Plus Square has some of the biggest western IP’s ever like Tomb Raider, Hitman, Dues Ex and Soul Reaver. Use whats good for that particular game or genre

Last edited:

wvnative

Going back to my post just yesterday, again, from saying something insanely dumb yesterday to saying something smart today...

This dudes a troll lol

Teslerum

I mean I don't like Forspoken and in some respects its correct (mainly writing).

But that's a hella weird thing to say when both Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. the titles that put either side of the company into overdrive, were strongly influenced by western games.
(Wizardry, Ultima among else. Initial FF monsters were strongly influenced by D&D as well.)

Last edited:
Funny coming from a shit company like Square Enix with garbage remasters/remakes and ports and garbage gaas shit. Japanese developers should 100% copy western devs when it comes to level design and pushing the tech forward like they used to, instead of giving us games that look like they were designed in 2005. FROM software is the only exception as they seem to know that level design is incredibly important. What Japanese devs should not copy is the woke culture and mtx/nft/gaas culture.

Zeroing

Banned
Where is Lara's Cookbook 2 ? where?

Ok now being serious... I do not even think Square Enix knows what they want/are anymore... they seem to be doing everything in hopes they get something right.

SSfox

Indeed, example is RE3R, Capcom were very influenced by COD when making this game, and it made it inferior to the original and RE2R.

Myths

So if some people in the West grew up and played games from the East, how does that work? Should it be just because they’re from a region that they should be bound and stricken to only certain ideals and philosophies? No. Let the teams and individuals be motivated to innovate and mix these different cultures based on their own experience.

People who have grown up playing from either territory (almost exclusively) would probably be just as qualified to make something as the devs themselves.

And yeah, as far as extremes such as “imitation” I’d have to see to what degree the IP is basically “copy pasting.”

Three

Bloody some people mentioning Forspoken like it's a bad thing while SE is making things like Guardians of the Galaxy which couldn't be more western.

Last edited:

Three

Forspoken is developed in Japan while GotG was developed in Canada.......
Fair enough about the development team but so what if SE publish some western type games? Elden Ring is a "western" type game but developed in Japan.
What makes it "western"? I mean dragon quest, final fantasy, etc aren't being talked about here their "western" game GotG is.
Ironically it's Sega, Capcom and Nintendo that do their own thing, and Squeenix that westernizes their games.

So it's more of a "I wish my company was like that" thing.
What do you mean by "westernizes". Because Capcom, Nintendo and Sega do the same things with Resident Evil, Mario and Sonic. There is nothing inherently japanese about Resident evil. It was built for a western audience.

DavidGzz

From Software imitated and demolished western devs. Hnnnng.

Btw, this is a joke since From has been doing it for ages.

Last edited:

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Pretty sure left alive was square trying to imitate Kojima, who's also japanese, and balan wonderworld was square trying to imitate sega, yet another japanese company. So why those games failed?

Last edited:
Bloody some people mentioning Forspoken like it's a bad thing while SE is making things like Guardians of the Galaxy which couldn't be more western.

Square Enix only published the game, one of their western studios developed it, so not a prudent example.

Overall, I agree with his comments, but I do think they need to come to terms with UX and design concepts as someone else mentioned. Japan has always been behind the times on UX and its reliance on its own internal tools has hurt them tremendously in most cases.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Noone think that these comments might be reflective of the performance of titles like GotG and Babylon's Fall?

I find it weird to use titles that had to be have been greenlit likely 3-5 years ago are being used to discredit a statement made contemporarily about future intent!

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
So basically he's saying keep making the same re-hashed anime JRPG crap. As well as visual novel nonsense. Maybe he means --we just need more underage looking screechy girls in short skirts!

Last edited:

GHound

You know in hindsight what he's really saying is they should give Yoko Taro more money.
Going back to my post just yesterday, again, from saying something insanely dumb yesterday to saying something smart today...

This dudes a troll lol
Even better both that and this were in the same interview.

Top Bottom