• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix - Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy Sales Fell Below 'Initial Expectations

ahtlas7

Now get back to what matters
Deus Ex Deal With It GIF by Eidos-Montréal

Shifty1897

Square is always champing to the bit to announce they are disappointed by their western studios' sales numbers. It's a running joke at this point.

I'm sure Left Alive was an unprecedented success to them though.

It's still $79.99 in Canada on Steam. Not sure how they expect to increase sales but leaving at that price won't help. Perhaps more marketing?

Not a big marvel guy so I really thought this was somehow connected to the other Marvel game that got a really bad rap.

Didn't realize it was so highly rated. I enjoy single player action adventure games so I would buy it at that price if I had the time, but I know it'll just go to my backlog. I'll be sure to buy it when it comes down a bit.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I bought it a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to get it on PC but it was 60 bucks so I bought it used on PS5 for 25. If they want better sales they need to reduce the price a little, it has been out for over 4 months and there are a lot of games releasing now so it is a harder sell.

b0uncyfr0

It could hit GP at one point, but not anytime soon I think.

Also has there been any indication that they will increase the resolution on performance mode? 1080p/60 is not good enough.

wOs

I enjoyed avengers a lot more personally. (Granted I didn't play day one, I played after the series x update, didn't care for the end game content though)

& GOTG, I thought was pretty boring and had to really force myself to finish the game (awful combat that never really changes or improves sadly) excellent 80s ost and star lord band/songs made specially for the game.

I'm genuinely surprised at how over hyped gotg is. (& I say this as someone who doesn't like super heroes but loves the gotg films)
Considering you think avengers was a better (best part was the opening sequence) I'm not surprised that I disagree with the rest lf
our post. When Avengers started all I wanted was a game that played similar to the opening. Not some crappy GaaS where you could tell fun was somewhere but that quickly gave way to boredom, rrepirition, and missions I'd like to forget.

I immediately assumed it didn’t sale too well to when I easily found it for $29.99 literally 2 weeks after it released. Sad part is I actually think it’s a good game and I really enjoyed it.

anthony2690

Banned
Considering you think avengers was a better (best part was the opening sequence) I'm not surprised that I disagree with the rest lf
our post. When Avengers started all I wanted was a game that played similar to the opening. Not some crappy GaaS where you could tell fun was somewhere but that quickly gave way to boredom, rrepirition, and missions I'd like to forget.
I personally thought the ending mission was the best.

Boss Mog

Avengers is what hurt GOTG. A lot of people thought GOTG was a GaaS type game like Avengers, SE wasn't clear enough in their advertising that GOTG was a single player story based game.

MaKTaiL

It's the Game Pass generation. I heard from a lot of people that they would wait until the game was free on Game Pass to play it.

DaGwaphics

I agree with others. Marketing was almost non-existent for this in the states. They basically just threw it out there and figured the Marvel name would sell it. 🤷‍♂️

It's too bad, the game seems to be received well by most of the players that gave it a chance. Maybe they will do a DLC campaign or something to try and capitalize on the good will. Would have loved a sequel with these characters, much better casting than the film, LOL.

Louay

SE just sell you EU division studios with all of it's IPs, i'm sure you will get good price for it. companies will bid to get TR IP.
take that money foucs on expanding your east division.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Maybe it would have sold better if they hadn't released that other piece of shit Marvel game before it, and then proceeded to market Guardians in a way that made it seem just as shit.

(GotG is a very average and overrated game though. Fine, but not great.)

arvfab

Banned
1) Game looked like Avengers 2.0, only later (some) people realized it was not the case

2) Start to release demos again, ffs.

NickFire

Based on the live service game I prejudged this one as shovel ware and didn't even bother looking at previews. I've seen it on sale a couple times and thought about it, but at this point I'm banking on it being a PS+ game sooner than later. If its later or never I'll survive.

MiguelItUp

They really didn't do a good job with the marketing and advertising of this. Before release, majority of folks thought it didn't look good, or that it would be horrible. Can't really blame them with how it was all handled. But then it came out, and a ton of people were shocked to see that it was not only decent, but pretty damn good. A shame.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Previous Avengers game tripe, combined with poor marketing where people thought this was practically an add on for that GAAS game.

It's a shame, since it's a really good game.

Novacain

Not surprising, I figured it wasnt great when they started rolling out 30% off sales less than a month after launch.

samjaza

Has there ever been a western developed squenix game that hasn't disappoint them with sales? I assume the just double what their experts project with sales.

Top Bottom