• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix is considering creating ‘HD-2D’ remakes of more SNES games

Ma-Yuan

They need a modded console to work and a supported TV, along with whatever hidden store that brings imported stuff, paying "god knows what".

You can't expect a 12 year old to get into these stuff.
What's important is what tools they give you, and they did the very opposite of making oversea games available. They region coded their consoles as an extra protection against porting.
I'm not the one in the wrong for not porting.
Besides, I did my part to help the industry. I have zero reservations about pirating some 20 year old game they actively discouraged me from playing.
DM1iErE.jpg
First of all nice collection.

Second still wrong. I was 12 years when I let my PS1 be modded (and this chip does not read burned discs as mentioned before) and then I bought US and JP games. Which surprisingly were easily available locally in a small town in Germany less then 20k or if you were unlucky to live somewhere without a game shop or a rental store (which I used to rent US SNES games and play them via an adapter when I wasnt even 10 . . .) then you just needed that next gaming magazine and pick one of the many shops that had mail order to get your imported games. Many US games were the same price a N64 modul so should not be out of reach for a kid in europe.

Also if you can get into modding your console and finding people who sell you stolen stuff aka illegal copies with 12 . . . the former part I wrote doesn't some to outlandish for me. Its is just convenient to not pay and steal and I could for what ever reason not accept it as kid back then and can't now.

AREYOUOKAY?

Do a PROPER Chrono Trigger remake.
Yeah as much as I'd like this HD 2D stuff I'd much rather experience Chrono and Terranigma in a new way with 3D like with Trials of Mana as I've already beaten them before. You can only see so much of the game world with 2D graphics even if it looks better. The Akira Toriyama artstyle keeps getting better and better in 3D with games like FighterZ and such.

Ozzie666

Easy money, less risk, less development cost. There is a market for these, so not surprised. Just don't half ass them.

KiteGr

First of all nice collection.

Second still wrong. I was 12 years when I let my PS1 be modded (and this chip does not read burned discs as mentioned before) and then I bought US and JP games. Which surprisingly were easily available locally in a small town in Germany less then 20k or if you were unlucky to live somewhere without a game shop or a rental store (which I used to rent US SNES games and play them via an adapter when I wasnt even 10 . . .) then you just needed that next gaming magazine and pick one of the many shops that had mail order to get your imported games. Many US games were the same price a N64 modul so should not be out of reach for a kid in europe.

Also if you can get into modding your console and finding people who sell you stolen stuff aka illegal copies with 12 . . . the former part I wrote doesn't some to outlandish for me. Its is just convenient to not pay and steal and I could for what ever reason not accept it as kid back then and can't now.
Don't compare everyone with your self.
A normal 12 year old wouldn't do 90% of the needed work for piracy, and then not pirate the damn thing. In Germany you might have strict laws against piracy, so stopping mid-way through the procedure and limit your self to just buying imports migh sound like a reasonable. Here in Greece the laws were not as strictly followed and the salaries are just a fraction of your's, so there are few "import stores" to reliably buy imported. Any store that offered more than just commercially selling games, was suggesting and/or moding your console to just pirate the thing, and don't bother with the hassle and cost of official imports.
As you can see, I avoided pirating for the most part and was called mad for building such a large collection. It's just a different way of thinking here. A couple of years ago I was looking to buy some used PS2 console because the one I had was reaching the end of its life, and couldn't find a single one that wouldn't come unmoded and without a bundle of pirated disks.

I had to say, I regretted dearly for going legit. At some point I've learned of the myriad of games we've never got besides very late ports, including chrono trigger, Chrono Cross, Saga games, Parasite Eve 1, Tales of series, Xenogear, any Final Fantasy before 7, Suikoden 3, wild arms 2 and the chery on top, Xenosaga 1 & 3. When the game was released, it was often very massively delayed. We didn't get for example the competitive fighting games Blazblue: calamity trigger and Guilty Gear Xrd: Sign that we got more than 9 months after the rest of the world...

Look at me ranting to you like you live in some Fantasy land like the US... You know what we went through.
The point is that in my country the stores that sold imports where scarce and you are the first person who talk about it as if it was a casual thing to do. I tried to stay legit and got punished for it. So now I'm ranting on how late these releases are.

Ozzie666

Don't compare everyone with your self.
A normal 12 year old wouldn't do 90% of the needed work for piracy, and then not pirate the damn thing. In Germany you might have strict laws against piracy, so stopping mid-way through the procedure and limit your self to just buying imports migh sound like a reasonable. Here in Greece the laws were not as strictly followed and the salaries are just a fraction of your's, so there are few "import stores" to reliably buy imported. Any store that offered more than just commercially selling games, was suggesting and/or moding your console to just pirate the thing, and don't bother with the hassle and cost of official imports.
As you can see, I avoided pirating for the most part and was called mad for building such a large collection. It's just a different way of thinking here. A couple of years ago I was looking to buy some used PS2 console because the one I had was reaching the end of its life, and couldn't find a single one that wouldn't come unmoded and without a bundle of pirated disks.

I had to say, I regretted dearly for going legit. At some point I've learned of the myriad of games we've never got besides very late ports, including chrono trigger, Chrono Cross, Saga games, Parasite Eve 1, Tales of series, Xenogear, any Final Fantasy before 7, Suikoden 3, wild arms 2 and the chery on top, Xenosaga 1 & 3. When the game was released, it was often very massively delayed. We didn't get for example the competitive fighting games Blazblue: calamity trigger and Guilty Gear Xrd: Sign that we got more than 9 months after the rest of the world...

Look at me ranting to you like you live in some Fantasy land like the US... You know what we went through.
The point is that in my country the stores that sold imports where scarce and you are the first person who talk about it as if it was a casual thing to do. I tried to stay legit and got punished for it. So now I'm ranting on how late these releases are.

My memory of import stores was them pulling out a huge binder and showing off all the latest 'silvers' available. It was unreal and so common. Sometimes they weren't so hidden. It boggles my mind at times how things were back then and how easy it all was. Before PS1 and Saturn, the shops carried cartridge copiers of various kinds with games available under the counter on floppy. Those were harder to find or see, but I remember one place where they backed up the cartridge on demand as you waited. Crazy town. But it's amazing this existed a long side legitimate sale of imported goods. I always found if I paid good money for something, I was more compelled to actually play, enjoy and finish the game. But Greece sounds pretty rough, but I'd assume somewhere like Brazil was even worse. North America had it pretty good :)

Andyliini

I have been interested in Quintet's games lately, and as I have never really played them outside of Actraiser and Soul Blazer, I would really like if Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma were remade like this. Then again, Enix had a very peculiar style of contracts, so I have no idea if Square-Enix actually owns publishing rights to Quintet's games or not. As of now, out of all games made by Quintet, only Actraiser has seen a rerelease. It might be SE only has rights for that.

I'm in for Chrono Trigger remade a the same standard of Live a Live.
Honestly, Live A Live is a giant step down from the true HD2D games like Octopath and Triangle. Way less creative lighting and effects.

It's still a step up from 2D alone, but not as much as the core games. The water effects in the Near Future portion look busted compared to Octopath water.

Last edited:
I good gauge of their effort remaking these classics will be Dragon Quest 3.
I think it's going to be all over the place. Acquire, Artdink, Historia have developed them so far.

I think some of the same staff are leading Octopath and Triangle. And they're original games, not remakes.

I think the remakes might be a little lesser, but still fine. Guess we'll see with DQ3, like you said.

sigmaZ

Because of these games and Bravely Default, Team Asano is pretty much my favorite team within Square-Enix. I hope they keep making these with different developers, Live A Live is a great addition. I would like even more of previously Japan-only titles, such as Bahamut Lagoon or Treasure of Rudras.
Yes. Treasure of the Rudras makes the most sense in light of Live a Live

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
My man, if they release a remake of Secret of Evermore I'd purchase it like 3 or 4 times. It'd be also a nice opportunity for them to give more polish to the later chapters, which felt more rushed than the first ones.

Wonder what would happen with the OST tho... this one was composed by the great Jeremy Soule and afaik it's the only Square JRPG that got it's OST composed by a western musician.
Would they hire him again for the remake? Would they remake it themselves? Or would it be left untouched? Last one would work for me, the music is still very cool:

They should just stop and make new games instead.
Agree but hey, as long as they keep giving this treatment to games I haven't played, I'm more than fine with it.

Oh that's right, this is cheaper, less risky and easier to market.
Plus, you can make something ugly, label it as "retro" and get away with it.

Also, $50~60.
Honestly, I much prefer HD-2D games rather than later Square efforts such as Forspoken or Tactis Ogre: Bilinear Filter Reborn.

93xfan

Banned
Give me the original version as well. No reason not to.

Also, Illusion of Gaia please!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
But you see, they can only apply that strategy for those old ass SNES games that people won't judge if it looks ugly or not.
I think that's kinda subjective my nab, I'm currently playing the Live A Live HD remake and I don't think it looks ugly. I'm playing it on portable tho, so if there's any pixel bad scaling or something like that then I've avoided it.

It's not perfect tho, they could really tone down the bloom and depth of field at times.

For anything that requires effort and talent, like Tactics Ogre, you can forget they will ever give it a decent treatment.

But yes, any old ass Square game will always beat whatever they release nowadays. Goes to show how much this company has declined
Yeah I agree man, a real fall from grace.

Dorago

It would be nice to get the SNES FF remakes FF Dawn of Souls and FFIII, Chrono Trigger, and some of the Japan only titles like Live A Live and the Romancing Saga games. And of course the one I really want, Super Mario RPG, we'll never get.

EDMIX

They are not considering shit, that is already likely planned long ago and they are just giving the heads up lol

Remasters, remakes, ports etc have always been part of Square's catalog and I don't see that changing for them to be like "considering" lol

Nah...its happening. I'd be shocked if we didn't see a series of remakes and remasters by Square. Its a big money maker and makes sense.

Give me the original version as well. No reason not to.

Also, Illusion of Gaia please!!!!!!!!!

Agreed.

I really believe that Square literally can make some Final Fantasy steelbook collection and just have it be the ports to the originals....they'd sell.

So I believe they should port them of course, but I also believe it makes sense to have remakes to bring in new consumers.

giphy.gif

QKSM.gif

But you see, they can only apply that strategy for those old ass SNES games that people won't judge if it looks ugly or not.

For anything that requires effort and talent, like Tactics Ogre, you can forget they will ever give it a decent treatment.

But yes, any old ass Square game will always beat whatever they release nowadays. Goes to show how much this company has declined
They should just stop and make new games instead.

Oh that's right, this is cheaper, less risky and easier to market.
Plus, you can make something ugly, label it as "retro" and get away with it.
Cool, but to me this also says the company lacks the creativity and talent it once had. Keep pumping those sequels while you remake old sellers.

teen-titans-go-nofun.gif

Oberstein

There is no way that SquareEnix will leave FF Tactics aside.
It's the most iconic of them all along with Tactics Ogre. And it has the name "Final Fantasy" in the title, it's sure to sell.
In 2023 probably.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

Rudras is so underrated, though I always thought the mantra system should have been reworked into something more player-friendly.
Yes. It could be even more amazing if refined. I'm surprised there aren't more JRPGs with spellcrafting. It's something I would like to see more of.

FF6 is glorious. I just hope they do a better job than they did with FF7 remake.
Call me crazy but I want a 3d remake of the game with a reasonably comparable scale to FF7R; that is, not so much length, but in terms of expanded worldbuilding, and characters/quests to subtly flesh it out.

A FFV remake I could go for either way as long as it remains bolt solid gameplay-wise.

Top Bottom