• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix is considering creating ‘HD-2D’ remakes of more SNES games

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

HD-2D is what Square Enix uses to describe the art style given to its Switch games Octopath Traveler and Triangle Strategy.

The style places 2D sprites in a 3D world, designed to look like an ‘HD’ take on the SNES era.

As reported by Famitsu, during a new ‘radio’ show on Square Enix’s Japanese YouTube channel, developers working on Triangle Strategy confirmed that Square Enix president Yosuka Matsuda wants the studio to use the art style to remake SNES games.

This includes a remake of Japan-only Super Famicom release Live A Live, which was announced during the last Nintendo Direct presentation and reimagines the 16-bit original in the HD-2D art style.

“The president ordered us to make more use of HD-2D, so we decided to think about remakes of past titles,” producer Tomoya Asano said.

“So we lined up possible titles and thought about which could be done in HD-2D, and brought them to the president.”

Asano continued: “[The list included] titles released by Square and Enix for the Super Famicom – ones which were suitable for HD-2D, ones which were unsuitable for it, and ones which were impossible to play, like mahjong games.”

“We lined up all of them and made a presentation that Live A Live was the most suitable. The second place was ActRaiser.”

mr-bean-stand-up.gif

DelireMan7

I am all for rereleasing old title but I was quickly tired with this "HD 2D" style. I find it beautiful at first but now I can't stand it. I want to be interested in Triangle Strategy but the artstyle just prevent me to do it.

Still happy to see old games being more accessible (outside of emulation of course).
No mention of Dragon Quest 3?

maxresdefault-1-1622113162164.jpg
is-Dragon-Quest-III-HD-2D-Remake-releasing-in-2022-feature-release-date.jpg

3835784-dq3.png
Dragon-Quest-III-HD-2D-Remake-2021002E05002E27-11002E26002E03002E41003A-Backgroundvisiblenormal255-1024x574.jpg
:O

Forget what I have just said, these screenshots are beautiful.

Last edited:

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Great idea and I hope Triangle Strategy migrates to PlayStation, it looks like a true successor to FF Tactics, absolutely gorgeous. If the rumored FFT remake is real I sincerely hope it looks like Triangle, keep everything the same and just overhaul the visuals into that style.

KiteGr

There are 4 big reasons I considered impossible to be a gamer in Europe during the PS1 era without piracy.
They are namely:
  1. Xenogears
  2. Chrono Cross
  3. Parasite Eve
  4. Pal framerate
If they take care of all of those....
Well... I still would had spent my childhood missing the best tittles and getting sub par experience on the rest.
But, it will be the 1rst step towards making up for it.

Andyliini

Because of these games and Bravely Default, Team Asano is pretty much my favorite team within Square-Enix. I hope they keep making these with different developers, Live A Live is a great addition. I would like even more of previously Japan-only titles, such as Bahamut Lagoon or Treasure of Rudras.

Ma-Yuan

There are 4 big reasons I considered impossible to be a gamer in Europe during the PS1 era without piracy.
They are namely:
  1. Xenogears
  2. Chrono Cross
  3. Parasite Eve
  4. Pal framerate
Well... I still would had spent my childhood missing the best tittles and getting sub par experience on the rest.
That's nonsense I bought all those games back then without piracy. Hell my moded still running ps1 can only play originals from all regions but not illegal copies.

SeraphJan

This is the most economical way for them to make more money, with artistic claim for not pursuing modern graphic but in reality its just a good business model.

It will be applauded at first, since re-releasing any Snes games that works with modern hardware is great for any retro gamer.

But due to the low budget nature of these titles, soon these type of remake will flood the market with other company follows in the money grab trend, when players start getting fatigue of these type of remakes, they will begin to ask for remakes with modern graphic fidelity such as FF7 remake again. Its a cycle of how things works, just my opinion as an old Snes fan.

Last edited:

Protocol7

They are namely:
  1. Xenogears
  2. Chrono Cross
  3. Parasite Eve
  4. Pal framerate
Couldn't you import? That's what I did, never needed piracy or whatever frame rate issues (PAL) you are talking about.

Last edited:

Rykan

Couldn't you import? That's what I did, never needed piracy or whatever had frame rate issues (PAL) you are talking about.
Wasn't that simple for most people. This was during the mid to late 90's so that is pre internet for most people. You'd have to know a shop that would import if you even knew about the existance of the game in question in the first place. A lot of magazines would only report on games that would actually be released in the region.Region locking was a thing so you had to have a modded system or an imported one.

Different time for sure.

Last edited:

Protocol7

Wasn't that simple for most people. This was during the mid to late 90's so that is pre internet for most people. You'd have to know a shop that would import if you even knew about the existance of the game in question in the first place. A lot of magazines would only report on games that would actually be released in the region.Region locking was a thing so you had to have a modded system or an imported one.

Different time for sure.
Interesting.
City I lived in (Paris), had lots of import shops and also had friends from the US and Japan who'd come/could ask them to send me stuff. Clearly was part of my passion as a gamer. Also, anything Japan related was something I became very interested around my teens, maybe also why I was more aware of what was happening outside of where I lived.

Gaming magazines would talk about import games too.

Last edited:

Vandole

Different time for sure.
One extra thing I'll add on to this was the expense. In the 90s, with a few exceptions most gamers were kids, in high school, or maybe in college. So it's not a group with a lot of spare cash. If you could find them, imported games were always expensive. Sometimes prohibitively so.

A 1997 I found a small import shop in California where I got a SFC copy of Final Fantasy V (cartridge only) for about $90. I could have very easily gotten two other games for that price, maybe even three since SNES games were fairly inexpensive at that point in time. That's definitely part of the reason why it was the only SFC game I ever bought.

Kataploom

Gold Member
As long as they ditch their instagram-like "filters" (color mapping) I'm ok with it, at least Live A Live looks good... But Octopath Traveler and Triangle Strategy, oh damn, take those monstruosities away from me...

KiteGr

There is something called stealing and there is something called importing. I guess you were big into the first one with self-righteous arguments. And I don't need a list of games I imported when I was young instead of stealing them.
They need a modded console to work and a supported TV, along with whatever hidden store that brings imported stuff, paying "god knows what".

You can't expect a 12 year old to get into these stuff.
What's important is what tools they give you, and they did the very opposite of making oversea games available. They region coded their consoles as an extra protection against porting.
I'm not the one in the wrong for not porting.
Besides, I did my part to help the industry. I have zero reservations about pirating some 20 year old game they actively discouraged me from playing.
DM1iErE.jpg

Fbh

Yes please.
I'm not the biggest fan of remakes but these look nice and can probably be made for a relatively low budget and in a timely manner, so they can be released in parallel with bigger new releases.

I'd love to see Chrono Trigger, Terranigma, FFV and VI, Romancing Saga and more.

Saber

Gold Member
Isn't it the Dragon Quest game which is like Pokemon? Is it any good?

It's pretty damn good. Just imagine a monster catching game, but with Dragon Quest iconic monsters. They follow the same rules of DQ series, meaning monsters have passives, skills, families and stats, but also have ranks to determine their power. The most intersting aspect of Dragon Quest Monster is the catching mechanic and fusion mechanic. Catching mechanic(at least on recents DQM games) requires all your monsters to attack during the process called "scouting". The more damage your monsters have, the higher they can fill the scouting bar(which also decreases depending on the rank of the captured monster). Fusion allows your monster to increase their max level and also take all the benefits of their parents.

Dragon Quest Monster Joker(the one released on DS) is by far the best they ever released. Fun as fuck. The game is 3D though, but I could totally see this game being released that way as well.

Last edited:

Phase

Cool, but to me this also says the company lacks the creativity and talent it once had. Keep pumping those sequels while you remake old sellers.

Ev1L AuRoN

If only they maintain the game pixel art visuals only adding wide screen support and Quality of Life improvements I'll be all for it.

amigastar

It's pretty damn good. Just imagine a monster catching game, but with Dragon Quest iconic monsters. They follow the same rules of DQ series, meaning monsters have passives, skills, families and stats, but also have ranks to determine their power. The most intersting aspect of Dragon Quest Monster is the catching mechanic and fusion mechanic. Catching mechanic(at least on recents DQM games) requires all your monsters to attack during the process called "scouting". The more damage your monsters have, the higher they can fill the scouting bar(which also decreases depending on the rank of the captured monster). Fusion allows your monster to increase their max level and also take all the benefits of their parents.

Dragon Quest Monster Joker(the one released on DS) is by far the best they ever released. Fun as fuck. The game is 3D though, but I could totally see this game being released that way as well.
I still have a DS and 3DS, maybe i'll check that out if it's not too expensive.

Top Bottom