• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix confirms new Legacy of Kain game (Nosgoth, multiplayer, not CD/not at E3)

TentPole

You know it is going to be rough when the company actively wants to get in front of the hype and nip it in the butt before anyone's heart gets broken.

Weiss

Banned
There is some hope left

"community should not be thinking of Nosgoth in terms of a single-player experience.”

table-flip.gif

SerRodrik

Yeah, they don't seem to really get why people like this franchise. Why bring it back after all this time for this?

Expectations now set to zero.

Sentenza

Well, that doesn't really sound like anything I could be even remotely interested in (and I don't even hate MOBA, if that's what it is; I simply doubt this product could compete with the best ones already around).

glaurung

Well, that doesn't really sound like anything I could be even remotely interested in (and I don't even hate MOBA, if that's what it is; I simply doubt this product could compete with the best ones already around).
I hate MOBAs.

Turning Legacy of Kain into a shitty MOBA is the same for me as turning Metal Gear Solid into a pachinko machine.

dose

I posted about this game being in development back in August/September I think. Good to hear offical news.

samratty

What madness is this? What pitiful press release is this that I have come to appraise? Silence would be a release, next to this travesty.

zakislam

Update:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...tomb-raider-dev-crystal-dynamics-not-involved

Square Enix has confirmed that Nosgoth is a multiplayer game set in the Legacy of Kain universe.

A statement from Square Enix community manager George Kelion was sent to Eurogamer following the publication of the below report.

"We're aware that the community has been actively discussing rumours about a game currently in development called Nosgoth, after it was referenced in AMD's Crossfire Application Profile and the Steam database last week. While we can confirm that this game exists, is in active development and is set in the same universe as the Legacy of Kain games, it's not a traditional or even single-player LoK experience.

"Given the AMD and Steam leaks, it feels weird to have a bunch of info out there and we don't want the community to get the wrong idea, especially as the game won't be at this year's E3.

"We can also tell you that Nosgoth is not being developed by Crystal Dynamics, nor are they working on a Legacy of Kain game right now and while our game is set in the world of Nosgoth, it's very much on a separate branch to both the Soul Reaver and Blood Omen series.

"Sorry to be so cagey. There will be an official announcement in due course when we'll reveal Nosgoth properly, so we can't go into tons of detail just at the moment. Everyone at Square Enix is really excited by the game and we're all looking forward to lifting the veil of secrecy in the future.”

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
it was in development for quite a while and it was originally a single player game + multiplayer but got pruned back to be multiplayer-only. it is also slated for console downloadable services.

Pafnucy

notlikethis.gif

So Crystal Dynamics are not working on the game and it is multi-player only? Definitely not the game I was waiting for. Stupid Square-Enix, ruining franchises... The strongest part of previous Legacy of Kain games were story, Kain and Raziel. That's everything people wanted, not some online MOBA shit.

Cornbread78

it was in development for quite a while and it was originally a single player game + multiplayer but got pruned back to be multiplayer-only. it is also slated for console downloadable services.

With that being said, Why can't Square Enix do what Level-5 did with White Knight Chronicles.... Are they that afraid it will ruin FFX and XIV?

Cardon

So this basically got the Warhawk treatment with the exception being the premise could be about warring vampire clans with melee combat being the gameplay hook.

In some ways I'm still intrigued to see the world of Nosgoth return and see how things have evolved artistically, but on the otherhand I really don't want a piss-poor combat game since that has never really been the key pillar of the Blood Omen/LoK series.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I love how publishers just never learn when it comes to this.

They always try to take an IP and shoehorn it into a genre that is popular at the time. And it never, ever works. They don't understand that the reason the IP is popular is not because of just the IP, but the actual GAME behind the IP.

All this ever does is piss off the core fanbase that made your IP successful in the first place- the very people who you rely on to purchase it.

What cross-genre IP shoehorning has ever actually been financially successful?

I can name a lot that weren't:

Halo Wars
XCom Interceptor
Command and Conquer Renegade
Xcom Enforcer

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Damn! Soul Reaver is one of my favourite game of ALL TIME. I'm so sad they are deciding to bring it back, but with a completely different formula...SO SAD. It's like seeing Shenmue 3 transformed into a iOS game or something like that..

Jawmuncher

I had a feeling this was set for dissapointment when the title was simply "nosgoth".
Hopefully next time LoK fans, hopefully next time.

SerRodrik

Sometimes I wonder how these decisions get made. "We have this property that's mainly remembered for its incredibly strong writing and a complex story. What kind of game can we put out that can best capitalize on those strengths? A multiplayer focused game, of course!"

In a statement sent to VG247 this morning, a Square source confirmed that a studio is actively developing the title. The source told us, “Nosgoth exists and is in active development, but is not a traditional Legacy of Kain action-adventure game”, and added, “Nosgoth is set in the same universe as previous LoK games, but on a different branch to the Blood Omen and Soul Reaver series.”

All of these reboots have me incredibly disappointed with various series lately.

I just want a new Legacy of Kain game. Is that too much to ask?

Top Bottom