• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix confirms new Legacy of Kain game (Nosgoth, multiplayer, not CD/not at E3)

zakislam

Update:

Square Enix has confirmed that Nosgoth is a multiplayer game set in the Legacy of Kain universe.

A statement from Square Enix community manager George Kelion was sent to Eurogamer following the publication of the below report.

"We're aware that the community has been actively discussing rumours about a game currently in development called Nosgoth, after it was referenced in AMD's Crossfire Application Profile and the Steam database last week. While we can confirm that this game exists, is in active development and is set in the same universe as the Legacy of Kain games, it's not a traditional or even single-player LoK experience.

"Given the AMD and Steam leaks, it feels weird to have a bunch of info out there and we don't want the community to get the wrong idea, especially as the game won't be at this year's E3.

"We can also tell you that Nosgoth is not being developed by Crystal Dynamics, nor are they working on a Legacy of Kain game right now and while our game is set in the world of Nosgoth, it's very much on a separate branch to both the Soul Reaver and Blood Omen series.

"Sorry to be so cagey. There will be an official announcement in due course when we'll reveal Nosgoth properly, so we can't go into tons of detail just at the moment. Everyone at Square Enix is really excited by the game and we're all looking forward to lifting the veil of secrecy in the future.”

http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/07/nos...quare-not-a-traditional-legacy-of-kain-title/

Square-Enix has confirmed to VG247 that Crystal Dynamics is not developing ‘Nosgoth’, but that the new project that is linked to the Legacy of Kain franchise.

In a statement sent to VG247 this morning, a Square source confirmed that a studio is actively developing the title. The source told us, “Nosgoth exists and is in active development, but is not a traditional Legacy of Kain action-adventure game”, and added, “Nosgoth is set in the same universe as previous LoK games, but on a different branch to the Blood Omen and Soul Reaver series.”

Our source explained that the reason for talking to us about the project was to clear the air following Nosgoth leaks that came from AMD and Steam. The game will not be announced at E3, but the source added that Square is very excited about the concept.

They added, “We don’t want people to get the wrong idea about Nosgoth following the AMD and Steam leaks ahead of its future official announcement. Nosgoth is not being developed by Crystal Dynamics,” and added, “Crystal Dynamics are not working on a Legacy of Kain game”.

In closing our source at the publisher said, “This isn’t something we’d normally do, but we wanted to just give folks a bit more context for the direction, rather than just batten down the hatches.”

Pooya

sounds like there are no games in development at all beside this.

also sounds like it's some PC only online game.

V_Arnold

If it is not story-driven or exploration-driven, I am going to be a sad, sad panda.

Also, why not Crystal Dynamics? The talent behind TR could have been better used if they do not have to work with a young, supposedly "you might wanna defend her" protagonist.

Nice to see a video game company give a nice concise response to a rumour for once. I appreciate they can't respond to everything, but something like this is nice. On the game, uuuugh. I hope this is a test of the waters to see how popular the franchise still is, I'd really like to play a new soul reaver style game. Perhaps it's an Ios game like that Deus Ex thing.

Ein Bear

I kind of appreciate them at least giving us a heads-up to manage our expectations.

Though you have to wonder why they're working on it in the first place, if they already know it isn't what people want.

beaten to it, glad I checked before posting.

Anyway I am actually worried now more than ever

“Nosgoth exists and is in active development, but is not a traditional Legacy of Kain action-adventure game”

What does that mean ?!, why couldn't it be a Traditional LoK title ?!, an Action-Adventure one ?!, I don't want this to end up being a ios game, or browser game, or some kinda of MOBA title or what not.

Square Enix please PLEASE don't ruin Legacy of Kain, I waited too long for a revival.

Edit: but YES, I am glad SE put some light on the issue and responded, I respect that.

Pooya

before anyone says what Barlog is working on.
I saw his name on Tomb Raider's credits, listed as cinematic director or something like that. Those QTE CQCs and the latter half the game totally looked like a god of war game, so probably those parts.

Shai-Tan

Banned
The problem with hoping for a traditional Legacy of Kain game is the writer behind that series (Amy Hennig) is now at Naughty Dog (Uncharted)

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
The problem with hoping for a traditional Legacy of Kain game is the writer and behind that series (Amy Hennig) is now at Naughty Dog (Uncharted)

The original might have the best story and that was Dyack. Hennig's writing didn't thrive until Soul Reaver 2 anyway.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
*crosses fingers for open world*

Please don't be a MOBA.

Kinda weirdly refreshing to hear such a concise answer.
Having said that, it always confuses me when a publisher/developer purposely creates a title in a franchise with cult-like appeal and then deviates from what those fans actually want.
Add that with SE's penchant for iOS crap and then I think it's okay to be pretty cynical here.

Shai-Tan

Banned
The original might have the best story and that was Dyack. Hennig's writing didn't thrive until Soul Reaver 2 anyway.

yeah, no, it's the writing that's important and he's wasn't responsible for that

edit: and the person responsible for creating the original universe isn't even at crystal dynamics, he's at "precursor games" with Dyack

Shaikh

Banned
Update:
In a statement sent to VG247 this morning, Square-Enix community manager George Kelion confirmed that a studio is actively developing the title. He told us, “Nosgoth exists and is in active development, but is not a traditional Legacy of Kain action-adventure game”, and added, “Nosgoth is set in the same universe as previous LoK games, but on a different branch to the Blood Omen and Soul Reaver series. The community should not be thinking of Nosgoth in terms of a single-player experience.”

Good enough. Kain and Raziel's stories are over so I want something fresh (not necessarily another action-adventure title).

Raziel ?!, Yes.

Kain ?!, I am not so sure.

I mean the hyldens are back, and balance is still not restored, we were only left with hope

iosef

This one ditches the traditional gameplay in favor of a system where you build vehicles from unlockable parts to achieve objectives.

But how many people still care at this point?

To be honest I do, yet you are right, I know there aren't many of us who care.

I am aware that LoK may be facing a reboot like Tomb Raider, but at least let it be a traditional great action adventure game with an amazing story, rather than being a MOBA or ios title.

gabbre

If you look closely you can actually pinpoint the exact moment the LoK series fan's heart breaks in two.

iRby9aIomFIjo.gif

Top Bottom