• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix claims Crystal Dynamics was the wrong fit for ‘disappointing’ Marvel’s Avengers

reksveks

BTW please remember this ain't going away from Square

"While the new challenge that we tackled with this title produced a disappointing outcome, we are certain that the GaaS approach will grow in importance as gaming becomes more service oriented. How we go about creating new experiences by incorporating this trend into our game design is a key question that we will need to answer going forward"

The question is who is going to take over?

Pejo

Time for YoshiP to inherit the project and turn it into a bog standard ripoff of another game to great success.

CGiRanger

Banned
Must be so cute seeing those 'businessman' imagining 'Look at this successful game, GAAS must be the key factor'.

They look at games like Genshin Impact and completely ignore the appealing of those type of games.
Or the fact that there are actually only so very few of these types of games that are runaway successes as well.

But yeah, most of these games owe their entirely to selling sexy waifus (or husbandos)

Fake

Or the fact that there are actually only so very few of these types of games that are runaway successes as well.

But yeah, most of these games owe their entirely to selling sexy waifus (or husbandos)

Waifus, art direction, combat, OST. Everything need to be take into consideration.

But hey, 'my game can be GAAS too'.

I3nPESE.gif

Certinty

Nope, they weren’t a bad fit.

The bad fit was the approach they and Square Enix took.

If this was like Guardians of the Galaxy and Crystal Dynamics made purely a single player game it would have been amazing.

Just look at how good the actual single player levels are in the game and how every character plays so differently.

I still have hope they can recycle some of the good into a new single player only game.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Thats how games are failing nowadays.

They don't look at new ideas, new ways to catch their consumer interest or being inovative.

They only look at the money. They just look where the money is, goes with the flow and nothing more.
That's why we should all be happy we have guys like Kojima. No, he is not perfect, but he is a shining bastion of big budget creativity and innovation, in an industry becoming more and more rotten with GAaS type crud.

GametimeUK

I'm not actually opposed to GAAS if the service they offer is a good one. I'm fine with paying for DLC as long as it's substantial, I'm kind of ok with micro transactions for skins and emotes etc as long as the game gets quality free updates and support through the year and preferably some of the gear / emotes were rewards only that you can't buy.

It's all a balancing act in my opinion, but GAAS mainly take without giving back anything of value to the user.

Avengers was just a bad fit for that style of game altogether. Would work much better as a "Sony style" game.

Last edited:

Hugare

Serious question: has any $60 dollars GAAS game ever worked?

To me GAAS makes sense when the game is free, so you can reach tons of people, like Fortnite, Apex, Warzone and etc.

Free + GAAS model is the new norm for almost every online multiplayer game going forward.

I think that the new Battlefield will fail 'cause charging $60 for an online only game in 2021 is archaic. 1 years from now and servers will be like deserts.

Last edited:

To me GAAS makes sense when the game is free, so you can reach tons of people, like Fortnite, Apex, Warzone and etc.

Free + GAAS model is the new norm for almost every online multiplayer game going forward.

I think that the new Battlefield will fail 'cause charging $60 for an online only game in 2021 is archaic. 1 years from now and servers will be like deserts.
Do MMOs count as GaaS? The popular ones cost money upfront, although usually below 60 bucks.

R6Rider

Gold Member

I guess you could say Siege is GAAS, but isn't full priced anymore.

Also Battlefield will definitely not be dead in one year.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Umm that have screamed of “ some one in charge made us add a multiplayer component halfway through development”

you can literally tell during the single player where stages stop giving you point to point experiences and start having the generic open online stage designs.

Keihart

Rainbow Six Siege is the biggest money cow of ubisoft

JoeBudden

i mean, Crystal Dynamics is a pretty mid studio if we're being honest.

Yall can be mad at the GAAS model as much as you want, but the game itself was fundamentally trash and generic, it wasn't just the monetizing. I mean, just look at how they did Maestro.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
i mean, Crystal Dynamics is a pretty mid studio if we're being honest.

Yall can be mad at the GAAS model as much as you want, but the game itself was fundamentally trash and generic, it wasn't just the monetizing. I mean, just look at how they did Maestro.

I think the question is whether the game is bad because they created a game with a business model in mind.

You could argue it's a bad game because they had to make a GaaS out of it.

Yep. Pretty much what I was getting at.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

The problem is not GaaS, it is a B A D game, P L A I N, and S I M P L E. A game that without the name, wouldn't even be discussed.
Agreed, issues with Avengers begin even before the GaaS treadmill part. The core loop of beating up enemies is simply not fun. At least Ubisoft knows how to make a good core gameplay before copy pasting it for 60 hours.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Time for YoshiP to inherit the project and turn it into a bog standard ripoff of another game to great success.
Well that’s certainly a take. I wonder if you hold Ed Boon in similar contempt after making his “bog standard ripoff” of another game.

Synless

BTW please remember this ain't going away from Square

"While the new challenge that we tackled with this title produced a disappointing outcome, we are certain that the GaaS approach will grow in importance as gaming becomes more service oriented. How we go about creating new experiences by incorporating this trend into our game design is a key question that we will need to answer going forward"

The question is who is going to take over?
Yoshida.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Problem isn't live service or whatever.
The problem with the game lies with the terrible content and combat designers.

Wildebeest

Seems a developer with a good track record would be a bit busy running their game and keeping their established user base happy.

Top Bottom