• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Announces Stardew Valley-like RPG, Harvestella

EDMIX

Honestly I don’t particularly care one way or the other of a “nonbinary” option. Its objectively stupid, but it won’t stop me from playing a game.

My issues lie more in when they change a character and do it in insulting ways to push checkmarks on their “diversity” checklist. I don’t see that being the case here. And people getting pissy about an androgynous male in a Japanese RPG clearly don’t understand japanese RPGs.

Agreed 100%.

How did these people survived playing as Cloud dressed as a woman back in the day? Lmao

lol yesssssssssssss!

Meicyn

Gold Member
lol who cares? Thats like getting mad a female option exist, be like "omgz i'm out, likez, cool it's option for folks who want da female lookz" lol

Then play the character you want. The point is for you to choose what you want. This should be an options in all MMO's imho as you are playing something based on you.....they already have a wealth of options of shit that isn't even real, but you are upset at an element that is real? huh? lol So I'm not playing this type, I have no plans to, but I also take no offense to someone who does want to play that way as I'd find it odd that it wasn't an option, yet we have fucking creatures and Ronso and shit in RPGS lol If you can understand all of those options, I don't see what the big deal here is.
The hell are you replying to me for? That’s the point, I can’t play what I want. I can’t play a dude that looks masculine.

I literally don’t care that there are options for others. But there aren’t options for my taste, so I’m not interested. It’s really that simple.

The idea that I am taking offense is a construct of your own making.

The hell are you replying to me for? That’s the point, I can’t play what I want. I can’t play a dude that looks masculine.

I literally don’t care that there are options for others. But there aren’t options for my taste, so I’m not interested. It’s really that simple.

The idea that I am taking offense is a construct of your own making.

Mate, welcome to 99% of JRPGs. Almost all of them are androgynous. The hell you been? XD

Kimahri

Banned
lol who cares? Thats like getting mad a female option exist, be like "omgz i'm out, likez, cool it's option for folks who want da female lookz" lol

Then play the character you want. The point is for you to choose what you want. This should be an options in all MMO's imho as you are playing something based on you.....they already have a wealth of options of shit that isn't even real, but you are upset at an element that is real? huh? lol So I'm not playing this type, I have no plans to, but I also take no offense to someone who does want to play that way as I'd find it odd that it wasn't an option, yet we have fucking creatures and Ronso and shit in RPGS lol If you can understand all of those options, I don't see what the big deal here is.

Dr. Wilkinson Dr. Wilkinson Agreed, whats even more odd about this is, you play a whole host of different genders, creatures, races, midgets and shit in this universe, I find it funny as fuck that anyone is hurt or triggered or draws the line at "non-binary" lol Nahhhh that sounds like some fake, forced outrage for attention to me. I could give 2 shits what game has that as a feature. If I planned to make some black, elf, mage thing....thats what I'm going to do regardless of what options they have in for non-binary or gender or some shit. I don't care.... more options is nice for those who want to play that way and this IP has too many wild things for folks to be crying over some shit like this.

They were out here catering to them Ronso folk in FFX, I didn't see any outrage on that lol sus

@jimmypython @Camreezie Its hard to say. Square may have just put this on mobile and PC as the markets have a lot of titles like this or they are not sure if it will do well enough to support a port to more platforms or something. If it does well, we'll probably see it ported to PS,XB etc, but its a small title. Who knows though. I thought lots of games wouldn't do well that went on to break all sorts of wild records, could be the next Stardew type craze, who knows really. Even if you invest in a small pre-built PC, I would suggest you look into it as imho some of the best farming type RPGs exist on PC, though many are being ported more then ever, its still the main place they go to.
Do you have a problem with Ronso?

Tell it to my face, punk.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Mate, welcome to 99% of JRPGs. Almost all of them are androgynous. The hell you been? XD
Except, no?

Been playing JRPGs since the 90s and there’s as much range in the genre as there is with the artists. A JRPG with Akira Toriyama’s style looks nothing like one with Akihiko Yoshida’s style. Tetsuya Nomura’s stuff looks nothing like Kazuma Keneko’s.

It’s not even really about androgyny anyway, it’s the bafflingly limited range of options. This is going to be your character. And yet, I have less options to customize than the beta test of Ragnarok Online. Or hell, Stardew Valley since that game’s insane success was the inspiration here. If two options were all they were going to have, why did they even bother? Why not just make a fully established protagonist like a typical JRPG at that point?

lol you playing the wrong genre then.

I don't know what to tell you then tbh.
Creating a strawman and punching it didn’t work, so I guess you’re left telling me that I’ve been playing games wrong all this time. Okay, sure.

Last edited:
Except, no?
Except, yes?

Been playing JRPGs since the 90s and there’s as much range in the genre as there is with the artists. A JRPG with Akira Toriyama’s style looks nothing like one with Akihiko Yoshida’s style. Tetsuya Nomura’s stuff looks nothing like Kazuma Keneko’s.
You are correct that there are many varied artists within JRPGs - but the vast majority of main characters have been heavily Bishonen to Androgynous in design. Whether we are talking about the Warrior of Light from Final Fantasy to more modern JRPGs like the main character of SMT5 - these are common staples for the genre and typical of artists across Japan.

It’s not even really about androgyny anyway, it’s the bafflingly limited range of options. This is going to be your character. And yet, I have less options to customize than the beta test of Ragnarok Online. Or hell, Stardew Valley since that game’s insane success was the inspiration here. If two options were all they were going to have, why did they even bother? Why not just make a fully established protagonist like a typical JRPG at that point?
I can agree to a point, but many JRPGs offer a choice between male/female and little to offer in actual customization. This is not and has never been a widely common feature in JRPG games. Suddenly expecting it here and acting like it is a massive issue shows how little JRPGs you have actually played.

EDMIX

Except, yes?

You are correct that there are many varied artists within JRPGs - but the vast majority of main characters have been heavily Bishonen to Androgynous in design. Whether we are talking about the Warrior of Light from Final Fantasy to more modern JRPGs like the main character of SMT5 - these are common staples for the genre and typical of artists across Japan.

I can agree to a point, but many JRPGs offer a choice between male/female and little to offer in actual customization. This is not and has never been a widely common feature in JRPG games. Suddenly expecting it here and acting like it is a massive issue shows how little JRPGs you have actually played.

Agreed completely.

It would be odd to even have a bunch of buff dudes in JRPGs as that simply isn't the norm.
And most JRPGs for that matter. man why people love to get offended over nothing?

This why you the MVP Danjin

Xeaker

I don't think that all other JRPG Protagonist look like female.
If you would ask someone on the street if this character is male or female I think most would say they are males.

t36tnpq.png
tB3G8hc.png
0OBy1kP.png

5PXcDim.png
diuiSFa.png
Enn0ylo.png

HCDALNd.png
szXMMsz.png
DghNVjC.png

But if you ask people about this character, a lot will say it is a female.
I asked friends and family and they all said it was a woman.
VowUWXf.png

Meicyn

Gold Member
I don't think that all other JRPG Protagonist look like female.
If you would ask someone on the street if this character is male or female I think most would say they are males.

t36tnpq.png
tB3G8hc.png
0OBy1kP.png

5PXcDim.png
diuiSFa.png
Enn0ylo.png

HCDALNd.png
szXMMsz.png
DghNVjC.png

But if you ask people about this character, a lot will say it is a female.
I asked friends and family and they all said it was a woman.
VowUWXf.png
Careful now, you’re suggesting that characters come in varied forms in JRPGs, and that doesn’t fit the “all jrpgs bishounen lol XD go play something else then” narrative being pushed to shut down dissent.

The character design is very unsatisfying to me the same way I really disliked Ni no Kuni 2’s awful main protagonist. And that’s okay, not everything has to cater to me. But some of the takes here that all JRPGs do this and that I should go play another genre entirely is some moonbrain bullshit.

shows how little JRPGs you have actually played
Uh huh. So, for whatever it’s worth, I used to write (really bad) reviews, take screenshots, post news stories, and other things for RPGFan back in the very late 90s and early 2000s when the only other enthusiast website that bothered to give JRPGs the time of day was RPGamer. Hell, I even started a streaming radio station for JRPG music hosted on Live365 running at hilariously low bitrates because it was the best we could do back then. I was ripping MP3s from JRPG music CDs (importing was expensive as shit) and sharing that stuff with people before Napster, Limewire, or any of those file sharing sites existed.

My first website before all of that was hosted on Geocities and was focused on, you guessed it… JRPGs. It was why the owner of RPGFan at the time hired me in the first place, before Final Fantasy 7 debuted in the US. I was passionate about the genre before it deservedly hit the mainstream. I was there for when Japanese studios couldn’t produce them fast enough after 7’s success. I even had my own (dumb) dispute with Victor Ireland back when Working Designs was still around, a company focused primarily on niche JRPGs. I own an extremely rare limited edition copy of the Eternal Arcadia collector’s edition released only in Japan. Own a limited edition copy of Ys Oath in Felghana for PC. Have a copy of the Shining Force 3 Premium Disc, acquired by sending in proof of purchases of all three scenarios to Camelot Software Planning back when they made RPGs. My current MMORPG of choice for the past decade is Final Fantasy 14, a game heavily focused on replicating the traditional JRPG experience as much as possible in a multiplayer environment.

So your dismissive comment makes me laugh.

Last edited:

Mitsurux

Spent some time with the switch demo, and this its basically SE's take on Rune Factory. It's very similar to RF5.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Tried the demo last night.....regardless of if you pick male, female, or non binary the character looks exactly the same :messenger_tears_of_joy: Not sure if this is intentional or if they just didn't care to flesh that part out for a demo?

Either way, the demo itself was ok......7-8 second load times every time you go in and out of a building, and into a new area though is unacceptable to me, even if its a Switch game. It has nice graphics and the soundtrack is good too, the actual gameplay though, eh.......factor that in with having to worry about a stamina meter, hunger meter, and you collapse if you're not back home at midnight. A pass for me.

Last edited:
Careful now, you’re suggesting that characters come in varied forms in JRPGs, and that doesn’t fit the “all jrpgs bishounen lol XD go play something else then” narrative being pushed to shut down dissent.

The character design is very unsatisfying to me the same way I really disliked Ni no Kuni 2’s awful main protagonist. And that’s okay, not everything has to cater to me. But some of the takes here that all JRPGs do this and that I should go play another genre entirely is some moonbrain bullshit.

Uh huh. So, for whatever it’s worth, I used to write (really bad) reviews, take screenshots, post news stories, and other things for RPGFan back in the very late 90s and early 2000s when the only other enthusiast website that bothered to give JRPGs the time of day was RPGamer. Hell, I even started a streaming radio station for JRPG music hosted on Live365 running at hilariously low bitrates because it was the best we could do back then. I was ripping MP3s from JRPG music CDs (importing was expensive as shit) and sharing that stuff with people before Napster, Limewire, or any of those file sharing sites existed.

My first website before all of that was hosted on Geocities and was focused on, you guessed it… JRPGs. It was why the owner of RPGFan at the time hired me in the first place, before Final Fantasy 7 debuted in the US. I was passionate about the genre before it deservedly hit the mainstream. I was there for when Japanese studios couldn’t produce them fast enough after 7’s success. I even had my own (dumb) dispute with Victor Ireland back when Working Designs was still around, a company focused primarily on niche JRPGs. I own an extremely rare limited edition copy of the Eternal Arcadia collector’s edition released only in Japan. Own a limited edition copy of Ys Oath in Felghana for PC. Have a copy of the Shining Force 3 Premium Disc, acquired by sending in proof of purchases of all three scenarios to Camelot Software Planning back when they made RPGs. My current MMORPG of choice for the past decade is Final Fantasy 14, a game heavily focused on replicating the traditional JRPG experience as much as possible in a multiplayer environment.

So your dismissive comment makes me laugh.
It Hurts Belgian Football GIF by Univision Deportes

Dynasty8

This game is going to be a collosal failure and Square is going to wonder why.... I miss the days where they delivered quality over quantity.

KàIRóS

Did anyone else prioritize this instead of GOW? I haven't finished Star Ocean 6 and I haven't even started Bayo 3, I'll probably play it until late november.

Topher

Gold Member
Did anyone else prioritize this instead of GOW? I haven't finished Star Ocean 6 and I haven't even started Bayo 3, I'll probably play it until late november.

I have the demo downloaded and going to try it once I finally finish Octopath Traveler tomorrow (on last two stories of Chapter 4). Definitely playing GoW next, but I'm pretty wide open after that so this may be my next game.

nikos

Review embargo lifted but there seems to be nothing. Reading that review codes went out as late as yesterday.

I'm not too much into these types of games, other than Animal Crossing if you count it, but I'm really interested in picking this one up. It'll probably depend on the PC port and how much there is to do outside of farming/dating.

Power Pro

GOW is not even on my radar of things to buy ever, this game at least appeals to me somewhat, but I still don't know if I want it. I am so tired of these kind of games forcing a moving clock all the time. I understand that some kind of day/night cycle is needed, but why do we have to be so restrictive with time management? it's a stress that I am just so tired of dealing with in games. It's why I always give up on Story of Seasons, and Stardew Valley.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Got my copy in a day early, but I just finished a 12 hour shift at work and I'm dead on my feet.

Gonna dig into this a bit tomorrow, but I really kinda bought this for my Animal-Crossing-Obsessed wife who's looking for a new, similar game.

Review embargo lifted but there seems to be nothing. Reading that review codes went out as late as yesterday.

I'm not too much into these types of games, other than Animal Crossing if you count it, but I'm really interested in picking this one up. It'll probably depend on the PC port and how much there is to do outside of farming/dating.
It’s a B-tier game, nothing against it at all, but it’s not a AAA release. And review codes got sent out too late for most people to be able to have a review ready for release day. It’s a 50-60+ hour game.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
GOW is great but...they hit the target with me. I played Harvest Moon games up until GC. So...I prioritized Harvestella as it hits on my love for JRPGs and HM. The demo has been fun.

Top Bottom