• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Announces Stardew Valley-like RPG, Harvestella

Labadal

When they first showed the artwork, I thought it would be a new Team Asano game. At least I was right about it being a Square Enix game.

Farming aspect is putting me off, but it looked decent.

lyan

I think Sakuna: Of RIce and Ruin is a more appropriate comparison for this than Stardew Valley.

Go_Ly_Dow

HarvetSTELLA :messenger_crying:

50871420081124_020259_6_big.jpg

BreakOut

Square just seems to refuse to put these smaller RPG‘s on PlayStation.. and getting a switch is fucking hard as hell where I live.

Vandole

This is S-E's attempt at a Rune Factory game, and that's fantastic. I've enjoyed the Rune Factory series since the incarnation, but I think it peaked pretty early on with Rune Factory Frontier on the Wii (RF4 was good too though). Plus between the stories involving a protagonist with amnesia, and a stubborn refusal to make any of the characters look more than about 15 years old, I'm definitely ready for someone else to take a swing at this formula.

Anyway this was my favorite game from the direct, and has probably taken the spot as my most anticipated game of 2022.

NanaMiku

OH MY GOODNESS

Square Enix picking up the pieces of my heart after what RF5 and XSEED did to it.
RF5 was bad? Didn't play it

Everyone says Stardew Valley, but if you would have said it was the next Atelier game I would not have doubted it.

I think Sakuna: Of RIce and Ruin is a more appropriate comparison for this than Stardew Valley.
Many people don't know Atelier and Sakuna lol. When they see farming, the first thing they think is Stardew Valley is because that's the one that everyone play. My first instinct was Rune Factory, looks really similar in terms of gameplay.

Everyone says Stardew Valley, but if you would have said it was the next Atelier game I would not have doubted it.
That's my take too.

This is just the Atelier game, but the player is a farmer rather than an alchemist. And your crops serve the same purpose as crafting.

To be fair, we already had that game with the rice farming and combat. Sakuna. And people loved it.

BreakOut

Man I can you a switch if you’re in the US. My Walmart has damn near all the models available.
I’d rather get in person, honestly I’m pretty sure I could find it online if I tried but I’d like to avoid shipping. I’ll probably have to just bite the bullet though.

Andyliini

I just thought that this looks like something from Tokyo RPG Factory, but it does not seem to be the case. Haven't heard from them in a while.

Shifty1897

Thread bump because the demo came out yesterday on Switch, I actually stayed up way later than usual last night because I was enjoying it so much. I highly recommend everyone give it a try, I have NEVER liked farming sim games but this one has grabbed me.

Thread bump because the demo came out yesterday on Switch, I actually stayed up way later than usual last night because I was enjoying it so much. I highly recommend everyone give it a try, I have NEVER liked farming sim games but this one has grabbed me.
Nice, I need to try this.

It's very, very low budget but I really enjoyed Deadcraft this year. Post-apocalyptic zombie farming lol. Real ugly game, but fun in its simplicity. XSEED fans may enjoy it on sale some day.

RCU005

Surprised at how good Square Enix's support has been for Switch, at this point I think it's fair to say they've been the best third party on the platform.
I think also with PS4/PS5. Switch games are easier and cheaper to make, so they can make more; but I believe Square Enix has completely turned around and have become one of the best developers in the industry after the very bad time they had during the PS3/360 era.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
This looks super cool and it's nice to see Square trying a new spin on their RPGs without being completely absurd or seeming like jank shovelware.

Non binary doesn’t exist, but if the game is good I will play it. And judging by the demo? The game is definitely good. Mountains out of Molehills, folks.

EDMIX

Welp, I’m out.

Like, cool if it’s an option for folks who want the effeminate look, but yeah, no thanks.

lol who cares? Thats like getting mad a female option exist, be like "omgz i'm out, likez, cool it's option for folks who want da female lookz" lol

Then play the character you want. The point is for you to choose what you want. This should be an options in all MMO's imho as you are playing something based on you.....they already have a wealth of options of shit that isn't even real, but you are upset at an element that is real? huh? lol So I'm not playing this type, I have no plans to, but I also take no offense to someone who does want to play that way as I'd find it odd that it wasn't an option, yet we have fucking creatures and Ronso and shit in RPGS lol If you can understand all of those options, I don't see what the big deal here is.

Dr. Wilkinson Dr. Wilkinson Agreed, whats even more odd about this is, you play a whole host of different genders, creatures, races, midgets and shit in this universe, I find it funny as fuck that anyone is hurt or triggered or draws the line at "non-binary" lol Nahhhh that sounds like some fake, forced outrage for attention to me. I could give 2 shits what game has that as a feature. If I planned to make some black, elf, mage thing....thats what I'm going to do regardless of what options they have in for non-binary or gender or some shit. I don't care.... more options is nice for those who want to play that way and this IP has too many wild things for folks to be crying over some shit like this.

They were out here catering to them Ronso folk in FFX, I didn't see any outrage on that lol sus

jimmypython jimmypython Camreezie Camreezie Its hard to say. Square may have just put this on mobile and PC as the markets have a lot of titles like this or they are not sure if it will do well enough to support a port to more platforms or something. If it does well, we'll probably see it ported to PS,XB etc, but its a small title. Who knows though. I thought lots of games wouldn't do well that went on to break all sorts of wild records, could be the next Stardew type craze, who knows really. Even if you invest in a small pre-built PC, I would suggest you look into it as imho some of the best farming type RPGs exist on PC, though many are being ported more then ever, its still the main place they go to.

Last edited:

EDMIX

People should just treat Non-Binary as Being akin to playing as an Argonian in Elder Scrolls. Something that doesn’t exist.
lol funny, but you make a better point then most who are getting triggered by this.

One doesn't really have to agree with it, to enjoy a game with it as an option as most of theses games are about shit that aren't real at all so... semi moot lol

lol funny, but you make a better point then most who are getting triggered by this.

One doesn't really have to agree with it, to enjoy a game with it as an option as most of theses games are about shit that aren't real at all so... semi moot lol

Honestly I don’t particularly care one way or the other of a “nonbinary” option. Its objectively stupid, but it won’t stop me from playing a game.

My issues lie more in when they change a character and do it in insulting ways to push checkmarks on their “diversity” checklist. I don’t see that being the case here. And people getting pissy about an androgynous male in a Japanese RPG clearly don’t understand japanese RPGs.

Top Bottom