• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix announces "biggest line-up ever" for Gamescom, more announcements soon

Arkeband

Banned
Something about how they phrased...

FINAL FANTASY XV is a groundbreaking fantasy based on reality that is destined to become a future masterpiece

...feels like "It'll be good, eventually.
(once it hits PC/Neo/PS5)
"

Sesha

EA:
Titanfall 2: Announced in March, revealed in June, releasing in October.
Battlefield 1: Announced in May, revealed in June, releasing in October.

Activision Blizzard:
Destiny: Rise of Iron: Announced in June, releasing in September.
Call of Duty: Infinity Warfare: Announced in May, releasing in November.

Ubisoft:
Watch Dogs 2: Announced in May, releasing in November.

I guess Take-Two and Warner aren't announcing games with shorter windows, but then again, they're not announcing much in general.

Oh. Whoops. I've ignored all of those, so my bad. Steep is another one, as it's releasing in December. Change my comment to "up to E3" then, as I was apparently thinking of titles announced last year or before, like Fractured But Whole.

Though there's also the console makers, who along with Square Enix are among the worst at it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Oh. Whoops. I've ignored all of those, so my bad. Steep is another one, as it's releasing in December. Change my comment to "up to E3" then, as I was apparently thinking of titles announced last year or before, like Fractured But Whole.

Though there's also the console makers, who along with Square Enix are among the worst at it.
Yeah, it's really ramped up lately.

There were a few publishers doing this already, but a lot more got onboard this year.

A lot of it revolves back to games now being services. You want to keep your audience focused on the current title (and buying DLC and/or microtransactions) as long as possible before distracting them with the next title.

Reveals similarly tend to be pretty reserved until a product is almost out.

The console makers have a bit of a different scenario though since the main purpose of their games is to sell their hardware, so they want their customers to always have a lot to look forward to even if it's not coming out especially soon.

Square Enix I expect to get more reserved going forward since the new CEO no longer has to prove that he's trying to address Square Enix's output pipeline to investors.

Aters

Until Square Enix releases the majority of their games, I'm still on the less talking more releasing approach with them especially when it concerns FF & KH.

They specifically said that they announce games early to help the Japanese console install base. I don't know if they succeed on that, but I take it as a valid reason.

Koozek

Howeverrrr, the whole rumored August FF VII info reveal kinda ties into this. Maybe it'll happen....

Huh, source? I only heard about it having a bigger info blowout later this year, probably PSX again, I'd assume, as gamescom and TGS are too close to FFXV's release to take away attention with FFVIIR. Would make more sense to wait until FFXV is out and go all-out at PSX again (kinda like a tradition at this point) with a new trailer, details on the battle-system and info on the rough release schedule. Part 1 will surely release late 2017 for the 20th anniversary of FFVII, otherwise all the talk about splitting it up to get the first part out earlier would've been in vain.

Parsnip

Looking forward to Deus Ex and more Tomb Raider and Hitman.
The only Collective game I've heard of is Turing Test and I hope it's as good as it looks.

Not really expecting any exciting announcement.
Of course, I wouldn't mind it if they broke their pattern and announced FF12 for PC sooner rather than a year later. I guess Type-0 HD was only 6 months, but for mainline games it seems 12 months is their status quo.

WTH is Toriyama's next project that was supposed to be revealed last year already?

Mindjack 2.
4th Birthday.
Front Mission Evolved 2.

Take your pick. I'm excited.
So glad that hack isn't writing half as much nowadays, god those storylines were bad.

Top Bottom