• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix’s president reiterates desire to make ‘play to earn’ blockchain games

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Paying gamers for all their free labor sounds like not a bad idea, some of the mods, skins, liveries, etc made by users are far better than the stuff made by the actual devs.

yurinka

F2P became more popular than paid games both in userbase and revenue generated because people prefers to play for free over to play for a game they paid.

In the same way, I think that in the future people will prefer to earn money for playing over playing for free and don't earn money for it. Even if square minded players (including game media or most posts to be seen in this thread) will need several years to accept and stop hating the change and understand the common sense behind the concept thatt is better for them to get paid over having to pay.

That being said, as happened with F2P they'll need years of iteration to tweak the formula to reach a point games are appealing enough for their current, older fanbase (including game media) who will need several years to accept it, as also needed several years in the past to accept 3D visuals, CDs, (dual) analog controls, digital games, dlc, F2P or mobile.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
This is the future for all game companies at some point. There is no stopping it.

It stops as soon as the games bomb, which they will. It's not a philosophy or a legit belief but a way to make money, dropped at the first sign of loss.

Simple. Square is Mr.Garrison, we are Mr.Slave

excited mr. garrison GIF by South Park

the NFT is the Gerbil....

If they put this shit in Final Fantasy 16 people will still buy it
i myself included it is what it is only way to stop it is to not buy the game
but how can you when that game franchise is been apart of your childhood

GHound

If they put this shit in Final Fantasy 16 people will still buy it
i myself included it is what it is only way to stop it is to not buy the game
but how can you when that game franchise is been apart of your childhood
Metal_Gear_Survive_cover_art.jpg

srbXE7w.jpg

Last edited:
Metal_Gear_Survive_cover_art.jpg

srbXE7w.jpg
Metal Gear Survive was easy to not buy cause Kojima was gone and not working on it like say for example Kojima was still with Konami and made MGS6 instead and put all this NFT and blockchain crap into it people would still buy the game cause it a Kojima game & GTA trilogy is a bad example lol it sold a ton it has bugs and glitches but i don't see any NFT so why mention it for

xRosaX

Neo Member
It never fails with SE. Every single time they seem to be on the right path. They always screw it up and rehash the same cycle of grief.

So when this blockchain venture fails. Who will SE blame this time?

Keihart

Wouldn't be the first time, the blockchain part would be actually interesting in games.
The model has been used in some games before with some degree of success like second life and everquest 2 IIRC.
The blockchain part could help make the economy more independent taking it outside of the game controlled enviroment.

To me, this is an actual interesting use of the technology unlike fucking nft's of jpgs, lmao.

winjer

Gold Member
It's so sad to see Square-Enix doubling down on this type of scam.
They see consumers as mere targets to exploit.

Possible short-term gains chasing trends at the expense of decades of built-up customer base...

giphy.gif

Square-Enix needs to disappear, looks like they're going to commit sudoku themselves.

Top Bottom