• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sprite Scaling and the Sega 32X

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

We take a look at some of the games for Sega's 32X that used sprite scaling and talk a little about what could have been.

Episode Notes:

1. 32X and Saturn footage from real hardware.

2. I wanted to compare T-Mek to the arcade version but my MAME didn't emulate it so well.

3. There are a number of 2D 32X games that run at 30fps instead of the 60fps they ran on other consoles. Because the 32X had no dedicated video hardware for scrolling 2D images, it was a bit like the home computers at the time. Much of the stuff you say was all software based.

4. I think the speed and complexity of After Burner Complete really shows the 32X could have done decent ports of System 32 games. Cut backs they would have needed for sure, but I bet impressive none the less.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

I really really want to see modern games done in this style and how far current tech can take it. I'd like to also see some of it in VR just for the lulz. (Stealth Galaxy Force II/AfterBurner VR portbeg)

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Saturn is the one that should have had more ports, maybe all with doubled fps like Outrun. Could have helped bolster its library with some great games that even if not full 3D had pleasing aesthetics it could then effortlessly handle.

Playability wise I think many fail however. Other than some great racing/driving games only Space Harrier feels really good to me. After Burner II & Galaxy Force 2 look much cooler for sure but aren't nearly as playable in my opinion.

Last edited:

Aldynes

Saturn is the one that should have had more ports, maybe all with doubled fps like Outrun. Could have helped bolster its library with some great games that even if not full 3D had pleasing aesthetics it could then effortlessly handle.

Playability wise I think many fail however. Other than some great racing/driving games only Space Harrier feels really good to me. After Burner II & Galaxy Force 2 look much cooler for sure but aren't nearly as playable in my opinion.

I 100% agree with your opinion, maybe with some original games too not ported from the arcade, just new games with the super scaler graphics, I would add some of TAITO titles too maybe re-done with better sprites, I've replayed Continental Circus and gameplay wise it's very playable even now, the game is from 1987 but they nailed the gameplay, similar games could have been expended upon with remakes or sequels.

cireza

Banned
The problem is that sprite scaling was a thing of the past and everything had to be 3D 3D 3D...

Event though sprite scaling actually allowed for much more stuff on screen, and a greater sense of speed. Simply the conversation had shifted, and releasing sprite scaling games in 1995 did not make a great impression.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I 100% agree with your opinion, maybe with some original games too not ported from the arcade, just new games with the super scaler graphics, I would add some of TAITO titles too maybe re-done with better sprites, I've replayed Continental Circus and gameplay wise it's very playable even now, the game is from 1987 but they nailed the gameplay, similar games could have been expended upon with remakes or sequels.
Right. Some lightgun games are cool too. I see Jurassic Park in the video but one that always impressed me is Dragon Gun. I dunno if it's so finely honed like SEGA's own that you can technically finish without continues but it looks rad. Edit: of course, someone has 1cced it so no excuses.

And I forgot the G. I. Joe game that's like Space Harrier without the flying, it's pretty cool & has 4p coop!

I guess it's an evolution of the Blood Bros style although I love that one more even if it's not as dynamic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom