• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Split/Second PSP vs. PS3 | Side by Side

Agent X

I'm quite familiar with the PS3 version of Split/Second. I've never played the PSP version, or even seen it in person on an actual PSP, but I had heard it was a good port.

Even with the emulator upscaling the graphics for the PSP version, the PS3 version still looks noticeably better. That's expected--the PS3 is much more powerful hardware. What's remarkable is how close the developers were able to get on the PSP. There might be some loss of visual detail, but the general structure of the tracks appear to be unaltered, at least from the portions shown in the video.

Wikipedia says that Sumo Digital was responsible for the PSP version. They've done great work on PSP. OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast was another feather in their cap from the racing genre.

Has anyone here played the PSP version? I would like to know if it might be worth grabbing a digital copy in the final weeks before the PS Store on PSP is closed.

Stuart360

I have this game on Steam but never actually played it. Pretty sure the PC version has a 30fps lock, and thats a big no for me lol.

I have this game on Steam but never actually played it. Pretty sure the PC version has a 30fps lock, and thats a big no for me lol.
There's a fix for that, although apparently there are some possible physics issues.

Last edited:
Fuck inlove split/second i still own it on my ps3, it's in my top favorite games, i wish we could see beefed up ps5 version one day ..i can dream i know , it sucks cause the way the game ends they were setting it up for a sequel, but the studio was shut down , sad !

Man, this game is fucking incredible! It needs desperately a sequel...I have the psp umd, xbox disc and ps3 digital.

That game and Burnout 3/Revenge are the best "new wave" arcade racing games.

(Honorable mention to blur and pgr3/4)

I've been playing the psp version on my way to work on my vita lately, it's unbelievable how they managed to create a port like this, it's a masterclass in porting for way weaker machines, this and the psp port of FlatOut are insane.

Man the PSP is definitely the most advanced handheld ever for its time. I remember playing Daxter and Shin budokai on that thing, wow man. Felt like a really expensive piece of tech. Wish I still had mine.
I do still have mine, I loved it, i had a few of them. Gave my son the white vader psp 2000 and he mostly played pokemon gameboy roms on it. My daughter I got the pink psp and she played sims 2 and that's about it. I had moved to a 3000 and had to re-buy it after leaving it on top my car (I took it to work daily). Even had the go at one point but returned it. Should of kept it.

My black psp 3000 has one problem the screen has a big transparent square about a half an inch in on all sides. I looked it up and apparently it's the glue that comes off the screen. Sucks I wish it still looked flawless. Wonder how hard it is to get a replacement now.

PSP had great games. Crysis core, Dissidia 1 & 2, parasite eve third birthday, Tactics Ogre, GTA liberty and vice city stories, gta china town war port, assassin Creed Bloodlines, Burnout legends and revenge, Dungeon siege, Syphon Filter dark mirror, Killzone Liberation, Monster hunter freedom 1-2, unite and portable 3rd. PSP was a beast of a system at the time. It really made me confused at how Sony botched the vita like they did. All they needed was to get monster hunter and gta on it and bam they would of got instant market share and the portables would still be a thing. Hell the switch probalbly wouldn't be out though (and I love that now).

Never played this game on psp, but played tons of burnout, test drive unlimited, midnight club, gta and gran turismo psp . All great looking and playing games.

Last edited:
I've been playing the psp version on my way to work on my vita lately, it's unbelievable how they managed to create a port like this, it's a masterclass in porting for way weaker machines, this and the psp port of FlatOut are insane.

This looks amazing. They don't even make this series anymore do they? Back when we had games that were fun for funs sake and not all super serious all the time. Last flatout I remember was on flatout 2 on the pc. It was a fun game, from what I remember. Didn't know there was a psp version.

[Sigma]

Yep, mentioned this in the Hot Wheels thread. It's sad that we will never see a sequel. I know it would be even more epic with the power of the systems now. Damn you Disney for shutting down such a good racing game studio.

Last edited:

CamHostage

I've never played the PSP version, or even seen it in person on an actual PSP, but I had heard it was a good port.

Even with the emulator upscaling the graphics for the PSP version, the PS3 version still looks noticeably better. That's expected--the PS3 is much more powerful hardware. What's remarkable is how close the developers were able to get on the PSP. There might be some loss of visual detail, but the general structure of the tracks appear to be unaltered, at least from the portions shown in the video.

Split/Second on PSP is a good facsimile, but I don't know that I would go far enough to say good port. All credit to Sumo Digital for replicating this game so shockingly well on lesser hardware (and they didn't even use a PS2/Wii port to amortize the project, they really put all that effort into just this one portable version!?) but I remember the gameplay being slightly less than compelling (the driving on video looks nice and physical, so I can't remember what felt off about it?) and the signature track-exploding events are not exciting enough even without comparing them to the stunningly destructive console version.

Great work, a really fascinating port project, but not one you have to track down now if you weren't there to settle for it on a portable in the first place; play the HD version and play Sumo Digital's other games instead.

Now FlatOut on PSP, I remember that being the way to go. (Maybe the loadtimes were bad or something, I don't seem to own it for some dumb reason, but everything about it seemed there.) Granted, this series started on PS2-era hardware (and this is a port of Flatout 2/Ultimate Carnage, which had a PS2 but also a 360 version, I feel like the PSP one was somewhere in between?), but even replicating a PS2 on the meager little PSP wasn't a walk in the park, and Flatout Head On showed few signs of needing to be scaled down.

...Goddamn, PSP was a great little machine, by the way. People tend to dismiss it as an unnecessary port machine while DS had all these impressive originals, and A) the PSP originals made me real happy too, but B) yeah, so what if it was a port machine, some of these ports were my chosen way to play my favorite franchises.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
I played both version back in the day. Split/Second is still my second favorite arcade racing game, but despite the good port, the PSP version was simply not enough, without it's aesthetics and speed, it felt different.

Get a xbox one surely it could be 2£ a copy and maybe theres bc improvements, it was such a fantastic game though played it on my x360 with my bros so much fun
Well I'll be damned, I had no clue it was BC for xbox, shame it doesn't have 1X enhancements, but fuck it I'll take it, just purchased a copy from ebay for $5 :D

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
The only thing the PSP version is missing is that sense of speed. A little bit of motion blur on the car goes a long way.

UnNamed

Banned

The amount of geometry in this game is obscene, I have no idea how they do that because it looks like a big AA PS2 game.

With Test Drive and FF Type 0, what a hell of a machine was PSP.

Doczu

It always amazed me that the PSP had a very competent version of Test drive Unlimited, complete with the online component. Which is basically a mobile proto-Forza Horizon.

And that almost 15 years ago...
The PSP had competent ports and original racer games.
This is something i missed from the handhelds that followed. Burnout, Outrun, Split/Second, Gran Turismo, Ridge Racer, Flatout, even a good port of Motorstorm- if you were an arcade racer lover the PSP was your handheld to go.

It always amazed me that the PSP had a very competent version of Test drive Unlimited, complete with the online component. Which is basically a mobile proto-Forza Horizon.

And that almost 15 years ago...
Yup, I was booting it up for a laugh on my Vita thinking that it's probably going to be some type of trash port, when I saw that they literally ported the whole game from 360/ps3 my jaw hit the floor. I need more "incredible ports for the psp lists", another one I noticed is Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix which is really close to the big console versions.

Top Bottom