• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 3 | Review Thread

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
That I can understand to a degree, but there is still plenty new here. From locker and banner customization (which *is* pretty big and people do spend hours doing this sort of content - just look at Black Ops with its icon system). Table Turf War is a completely brand new mode that offers its own MP, strategy, and presumably constantly updated cards with the seasons system), triple turf war battles also offer a new way to play the most popular mode with its own strategies.

Couple this with the changes to the story mode, new weapons, new gear, catalog system - there is plenty new here - just as much that was new in Splatoon 2.
It's def subjective, but the cosmetics (banner+locker) don't interest me so much. It's fun to have, sure, but I hoped to have a new mode. I didn't play the cards game yet so I will have to check that out.

I was 100% on board the tri-color mode (which I hope they will turn into a ranked in some capacity), but now that I am team green (I choose by color, not by what it is), I can't even ask to go into that mode. Really really disappointing. I loved the chaos on the demo splatfest.

Again, it feels very much like 2. And I see the subtle addition (throwing the egg in SR is a game changer), but they are still subtle.

Ulysses 31

Any reason to pick tri-color matches other than the noverlty? I only gotten regular turf wars so far and even a not enough players message once. 👀

Also not sure how fun it is too fight 2 teams with that new mechanic either.

Last edited:

Lasha

Any reason to pick tri-color matches other than the noverlty? I only gotten regular turf wars so far and even a not enough players message once. 👀

Also not sure how fun it is too fight 2 teams with that new mechanic either.

2 v 4 v 2. Its slightly easier to win since the defending team has to fight both sides at once. The attackers start from opposite ends of the map and don't really interact.

Ulysses 31

2 v 4 v 2. Its slightly easier to win since the defending team has to fight both sides at once. The attackers start from opposite ends of the map and don't really interact.
But would you say that mode is more fun to play than the more straight forward other modes?

Lasha

I queued up but only got regular turf wars and a few not enough players so far.

Damn. From what I gather Gear is too big and most of Fun is playing in Pro where there are no tri matches. Pro has the benefit of better matches overall. I've heard Gear is having to play itself like in the last games. Have you experienced that?

Ulysses 31

Damn. From what I gather Gear is too big and most of Fun is playing in Pro where there are no tri matches. Pro has the benefit of better matches overall. I've heard Gear is having to play itself like in the last games. Have you experienced that?
I'm with Gear and I switched back to Pro games, think it's mostly been again Fun teams so far.

Think it's a bit dumb of Nintendo to split the player pool 3 for this splarfest after the first half. Should've stuck with 2 modes.

Last edited:

John Bilbo

I got to play one tricolor match. I was disappointed the map was not unique and made for that mode, but just a standard map with the defenders in the middle and attacking teams on both sides of the map.

If this was added as a mode I'd try it again to understand the differing mechanics better, but as it is, it was gimmicky.

Personally I enjoy Splatzones and Tower Control most.

Ulysses 31

Anyone else just get fucking wrecked anytime Cohozuna comes out? I swear Salmon Run is a lot more difficult now or I just suck ass with these weapons.
It's close to impossible without a pre-made team on higher ranks IMO. Only got to kill it once and that was in the first couple of days of the game's release when I was still low rank where you don't get swarmed with other mobs and bosses at the same time.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
He's gotta have some hidden weakness no-one knows yet like shooting him in the head or the belly or something.
I've killed it 3-4 times I think on eggsecutive mostly I think.

It's really about the luck of what mini-bosses spawn and also getting it to that area so you can just hurl the eggs on him. Also, the eggs are also very effective against those mini-bosses so you'll be able to kill them quicker with them and get more eggs.

Other tips for SR:
- You can throw eggs through enemies
- Don't be afraid to use your specials at any wave, no need to save them for the last one if you won't make it there
- Always kill stringers, the rocket launches, the rainmakers, and now the shockwavers first

And btw, when you do kill it, there's no extra bonus, no golden scale or anything.

Last edited:

Kabelly

The Chum in Salmon Run are BITCHES. Small Fry have killed me more than anything. Way harder than Splat 2. They are fucking fast too. Just whack you in 1 split and you're gone.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I love Splatoon 2 and I enjoy S3. But the game crashed 20+ times, so many disconnects, and awful match making. Hope patches will improve it soon.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
So Nintendo just pulled Rainmaker from the rotation in Anarchy (ranked) battles because of a bug. The game launched buggy, and continues to be problematic.
I know this is something that happens a lot in online games (Overwatch2, MW2, etc). But still, this is Nintendo. I expected more.

Just a rant of where things have come to, where it seems like QA is in an awful state in this industry.

So Nintendo just pulled Rainmaker from the rotation in Anarchy (ranked) battles because of a bug. The game launched buggy, and continues to be problematic.
I know this is something that happens a lot in online games (Overwatch2, MW2, etc). But still, this is Nintendo. I expected more.

Just a rant of where things have come to, where it seems like QA is in an awful state in this industry.
Definitely more communication issues as well. And the game had to have the release date swapped with Xenoblade.

I haven't noticed major bugs at all but it does seem they were somehow running out of time on this one. Not sure why.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Definitely more communication issues as well. And the game had to have the release date swapped with Xenoblade.

I haven't noticed major bugs at all but it does seem they were somehow running out of time on this one. Not sure why.
My theory is that they wanted to launch it for the Switch 2 or whatever it'll be called, but COVID and supply chain issues prob made them delay that launch. Game crashed on me a lot anytime in Salmon Run when I came back from sleep mode and it needed to connect. Really lowering the quality.

After about 50 matches I’ve determined that I’m crap at the game and that’s not going to change. Progression feels really slow and aiming is massively frustrating for me, even after toying with the controls and using gyro aiming. I’m sure it’s just me but I feel like TTK and TTD is so inconsistent and causes me even more frustration.

Traded in and moving on. I’d love to see more multiplayer focus on Switch but it seems that it’s pretty limited.

After about 50 matches I’ve determined that I’m crap at the game and that’s not going to change. Progression feels really slow and aiming is massively frustrating for me, even after toying with the controls and using gyro aiming. I’m sure it’s just me but I feel like TTK and TTD is so inconsistent and causes me even more frustration.

Traded in and moving on. I’d love to see more multiplayer focus on Switch but it seems that it’s pretty limited.
It's super competitive. Very easy to have multiple rough runs, and now Salmon Run is brutal. Not surprised some people feel this way.

I agree that they need to tweak progression. I do Salmon Run basically every day and I've got like .... 8 silver shells and 1 gold shell lol. I don't like the weapon ticket system either for getting new weapons.

Gameplay is very fun but the net code is abysmal and splatfest unskippable TV broadcasts are really annoying. I'd say a 7.5/10. An 8/10 if it fixes those issues.

Last edited:
Well Big Run is fun. It doesn't reinvent much. Just more Salmon Run with new stages and a ton more enemies. But its my favorite mode so I'm all in. Could use some more mood lighting like Splatfest but still a nice addition.

Top Bottom