• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spikeout! Sega’s precursor to Yakuza and an awesome beat em up

VGEsoterica

If you’ve never heard of / played Spikeout, or it’s “sister” game Slashout, I wouldn’t be surprised. Somehow even though it’s an amazingly awesome beat em up for some reason it never seems to get the love or attention that most of Sega’s other franchises do. Which is unfortunately but hey...what can you do!

Im shocked it didn’t come to Dreamcast, as the game takes around an hour and a half to beat from start to finish, which is an unheard of length for an arcade game. Usually they top out at 45 minutes...maybe an hour...but an hour and a half? Feels like it was designed from day 1 with a home port in mind before Sega realized Model 3 to DC was too challenging.

The most interesting thing is how much the combat feels like Yakuza. Considering a lot of the same staff designed both series it’s not surprising, but Spikeout feels like the beta of what Yakuza would become...quasi open world elements, awesome heavy impact combos and special moves and tons of enemies circling you. There definitely feels like a direct lineage from Spikeout to Yakuza for sure.

I wish Sega would give us another entry in the series. Toss it in the Yakuza engine and let it rip! I for one would love this.

anyone else ever play this one? I rarely see it on arcade floors any longer.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Is this an attempt to side step self promotion by making a thread, deliberately not including any kind of (bountiful online) media or whatever and then throwing your own video as the first reply? Kind of on the nose. Might as well have an "impartial" friend make a thread for your videos.
Spikeout WAS released on Dreamcast.
Nope. And the Xbox game was a different thing iirc. Slash Out was a true follow up but neither of these early games solved the full 3D roaming world camera problem (neither did Yakuza despite the twin sticks, but restricted the combat scenes and their camera angles to good effect).

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
It was a sequel. Spikeout: Battlestreet.
Yes. It was a different game that was bad.

The SpikeOut series were kind of the last gasps of the classic beat em up genre in arcades. They were great but I kind of understand why they didn't get home ports. By the time that would have been viable, arcade games didn't have the kind of home market they once did.

Not that that stopped a million other Naomi/Model 3 ports from making it to Dreamcast. We got Zombie Revenge, I don't see why we couldn't have gotten Slashout.

I am happy to see Model 3 emulation of SpikeOut has gotten really solid if you know where to find the beta builds of Supermodel.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member

The SpikeOut series were kind of the last gasps of the classic beat em up genre in arcades. They were great but I kind of understand why they didn't get home ports. By the time that would have been viable, arcade games didn't have the kind of home market they once did.

Not that that stopped a million other Naomi/Model 3 ports from making it to Dreamcast. We got Zombie Revenge, I don't see why we couldn't have gotten Slashout.

I am happy to see Model 3 emulation of SpikeOut has gotten really solid if you know where to find the beta builds of Supermodel.

Yup and it runs great in high res now.

VGEsoterica

Supermodel is about as near perfect as Model 3 emulation could get. Second only to OG hardware (which I will pick up once my layoff is over...stupid pandemic)

SkylineRKR

Spikeout Final Edition is fun, I play it on SM from time to time. Spikeout was a perfect fit for DC. Instead they ported Dynamite Cop 2.

Slashout was pretty bad.

GrayFoxPL

What would I give for a Spikeout port.

IVXx9f8.gif

jaysius

Banned
So it's Yakuza with all the awful male soap opera drawnout drama. Sounds great! I've tried Yakuza 3(what a mistake) I really did I stuck with it for 5-10 hours, or however long that bloody boring day care part is, it really was awful. I was really enjoying Yakuza 0 until the shift in the narrative takes away all your progress and sticks you with a slug's pace again.

Yakuza series is OK, but boy does it have pacing problems.

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

So it's Yakuza with all the awful male soap opera drawnout drama. Sounds great! I've tried Yakuza 3(what a mistake) I really did I stuck with it for 5-10 hours, or however long that bloody boring day care part is, it really was awful. I was really enjoying Yakuza 0 until the shift in the narrative takes away all your progress and sticks you with a slug's pace again.

Yakuza series is OK, but boy does it have pacing problems.

don’t you dare say a bad word about Yakuza! Yakuza is a saint! Lol

Always was interested in playing these, never had chance. Wished 3D beat em ups continued to evolve but stayed beat em ups. Next Yakuza is turned based sadly so the last survivor of the genre is officially dead...

Urban Reign, God Hand, The Warriors, Rise to Honor, Rise of Kasai, and Beatdown all had interesting ideas about 3D beat em ups but then it just died.
Uncharted 3's easy but exciting fistcuffs gives me a glimpse of the beat up em future we never had...

JonnyMP3

You'd be right. Never heard of it.
Now I'm utterly surprised that Sega made something 3D and fighting that didn't have the word 'Virtua' in front of it.

UnNamed

Banned
I remember I was super excited when it was released and I hoped for a DC port. After some years, I played the XBOX game and... so boring. Don't know, maybe it was just too late and classic fighting games were already unappealing.

Daytona 2 on Supermodel is amazing. Was playing it this morning actually.
Personally I prefer the original Battle on the Edge, because the skydome and the waterfall on the first track is stunning. Don't know why they replace it with a realistic circuit in the Power Edition.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Personally I prefer the original Battle on the Edge, because the skydome and the waterfall on the first track is stunning. Don't know why they replace it with a realistic circuit in the Power Edition.

You can play Battle on the Edge on Supermodel.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
You'd be right. Never heard of it.
Now I'm utterly surprised that Sega made something 3D and fighting that didn't have the word 'Virtua' in front of it.
I mean, there was Fighting Vipers, Last Bronx, Sonic the Fighters, etc. :p

Daytona USA 2 is awesome. Both Battle on the Edge and Power Edition.

Daytona USA 2 gameplay, physics and handling model is its own beast. It's different than Daytona USA.

Always wanted to play the arcade version of SpikeOut. Got the XBox version of SpikeOut and while it was good, it was different from the arcade version to my knowledge.

SkylineRKR

Daytona 2 on Supermodel is amazing. Was playing it this morning actually.

Hooked up to my 55" the game still looks great. Its the art style, post processing effects and sheer speed. Along with the framerate.

Plays well with DS4, unlike Scud Race. I can beat Beginner consistently. The other tracks are a different story. I kinda prefer the handling of 2 to the Hornet car in PE and 1.

Last edited:
Top Bottom