• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiderman Remastered Detailed | PS5

Reindeer

Looking worse doesn't equate to it being less advanced. If light isn't supposed to fall in those spots then they shouldn't be illuminated. I find it hard to believe they added all of these new graphical features but they toned the lighting down just do it.
Doesn't help to have new "advanced" lighting when things look like a downgrade in places. They would need to tweak it or else it doesn't look like much of an upgrade.

MastaKiiLA

Looking worse doesn't equate to it being less advanced. If light isn't supposed to fall in those spots then they shouldn't be illuminated. I find it hard to believe they added all of these new graphical features but they toned the lighting down just do it.
Most people aren't aware that most film/TV scenes and professional photo shoots are artificially lit. I assume the PS4 version was pre-baked with artificial lighting to enhance certain things, and the PS5 scene is using point sources from the actual light sources in the scene. I could be wrong though. If the art director thought the lighting in the original was superior, they could have just lit the remaster the same, but with real light sources, instead of lightmaps. Seems like a directorial decision.

Last edited:
Doesn't help to have new "advanced" lighting when things look like a downgrade in places. They would need to tweak it or else it doesn't look like much of an upgrade.

But is it better to fake it? Do we care about dynamic lighting enough that even if it looks worse we should go with it?

Most people aren't aware that most film/TV scenes and professional photo shoots are artificially lit. I assume the PS4 version was pre-baked with artificial lighting to enhance certain things. I assume the PS5 scene is using point sources from the actual light sources in the scene. I could be wrong though. If the art director thought the lighting in the original was superior, they could have just lit the remaster the same, but with real light sources, instead of lightmaps. Seems like a directorial decision.

I agree with all of this. They are using actual light sources which is why some areas are darker and others directly below the lights are well lit.

Last edited:

Ozrimandias

I'm being dead serious. Doing things like this is unnecessary. The game was fine, their creative vision was fulfilled and it was incredible. I loved the older version of Peter Parker. He was different enough from Tom Holland, Andrew Garfield and Toby Maguire to be his own unique version of the character.

And now, just like George Lucas with the original Star Wars films, or Bungie with replacing Peter Dinklage as the Ghost in Destiny, or Call of Duty not hiring James C. Burns again as Frank Woods for the new Black Ops, Insomniac completely shit on their game, ruined it and it's now a complete joke.

There was nothing wrong with the character that they created. His voice matched his face perfectly fine, he was and looked older than Miles Morales and he looked like he had a few years of knowledge of being Spiderman under his belt. Now he looks like a 15 year old Highschool Tik-Tok user who's trying to look hot instead of a 23 - 26 year old College Grad Student.

It's just so upsetting honestly.
Totally agree man, they launched the game just two years ago, it was a total success, it was an amazing take on Spiderman in fact this Spiderman for me is more entertaining than any actor in any movie of Spidey etc. It was unnecessary.

Reindeer

But is it better to fake it? Do we care about dynamic lighting enough that even if it looks worse we should go with it?
You can't have something new that looks worse than what was before that. People won't care whether it's dynamic or not, they care that it looks good.

Totally agree man, they launched the game just two years ago, it was a total success, it was an amazing take on Spiderman in fact this Spiderman for me is more entertaining than any actor in any movie of Spidey etc. It was unnecessary.

Exactly. After being a huge fan of the first 2 Raimy films with Toby Maguire and becoming increasingly less interested with every film since. This game felt like a true breath of fresh air and an awesome reboot of the Spiderman 2 game on PS2. Now I'm just not going to be able to enjoy it with this terrible new face.

You can't have something new that looks worse than what was before that. People won't care whether it's dynamic or not, they care that it looks good.

So should we save on resources in future and do away with dynamic lighting and stick with what we've had all this time? You can't tell light how to behave. It's going to illuminate spots which should be lit.

Rubik8

I think the new face model looks better, fits the voice better. I don’t see obvious visual improvements, but it has been a while since I played the original game.

Keihart

So much Tom Holland it's uncanny, i like it, looks waaaaaay better than the original model. Doc OC also looks better and creepier.
You are making a case here Sony, keep convincing me.

-Arcadia-

Banned
4K UHD Screens

50395503713_84c6c9b8ff_4k.jpg

I think it’s going to look wonderful in motion, and I completely understand the compromise, but I’m going to need the ability to turn reflections off in Photo Mode. Lol.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I’m trying to contribute something positive too, so I will say it’s awesome that we’re seeing a PS5 remaster for this. The raytracing looks absolutely incredible, as well as the sheer fidelity of the stuff in the screens.

Right now though, the trailer is getting absolutely ratio’d and blown out with negative comments, and I don’t think I’ve seen that for a Sony product before. They really, really fucked up on the new face.

Last edited:

Codes 208

I'm being dead serious. Doing things like this is unnecessary. The game was fine, their creative vision was fulfilled and it was incredible. I loved the older version of Peter Parker. He was different enough from Tom Holland, Andrew Garfield and Toby Maguire to be his own unique version of the character.

And now, just like George Lucas with the original Star Wars films, or Bungie with replacing Peter Dinklage as the Ghost in Destiny, or Call of Duty not hiring James C. Burns again as Frank Woods for the new Black Ops, Insomniac completely shit on their game, ruined it and it's now a complete joke.

There was nothing wrong with the character that they created. His voice matched his face perfectly fine, he was and looked older than Miles Morales and he looked like he had a few years of knowledge of being Spiderman under his belt. Now he looks like a 15 year old Highschool Tik-Tok user who's trying to look hot instead of a 23 - 26 year old College Grad Student.

I actually prefer Nolan hinestly. Nolan is really good VA and Peter Dinklage...just kinda exists. I would say the better comparison is how they replaced (and ultimately threw under the bus) Marty O’Donnel

Last edited:
Ugh. I freaking hate the new face model.

The original was absolutely perfect, and it suit the spiderman of that world.

He looked like a mature adult, and by the end of the game, I really loved his character, Peter Parker, and not just being spiderman.

Why the hell did they change it?

I actually prefer Nolan hinestly. Nolan is really good VA and Peter Dinklage...just kinda exists. I would say the better comparison is how they replaced (and ultimately threw under the bus) Marty O’Donnel

I liked Peter because he sounded like a sarcastic robot with no emotion.

That looks way better.

Not sure why people thought it should be free? You can still play spider man PS4 on ps5 with load time improvements and stable FPS. That’s all series x is doing for old games

Kindjal

Did anyone else get really fed up with the music played during traversal after an hour or so?
I have really enjoyed the game, but I think the overuse of this kind of music detracts from the game in the long run.

I'm with you buddy, I absolutely despise the new face model and wholeheartedly agree with your reasoning.

The OG spiderman looked like he was made for all those that grew up with him, and now we get to play as him during his adult hood years - living through a part of his life way past the constant high school era that movies depict.

This new one looked like he barely got out of high school.

I cant wait to roll my eyes when I watch the cut scenes with MJ and see this little kid talk.

Sheesh, you think they changed other face models too?

I'm with you buddy, I absolutely despise the new face model and wholeheartedly agree with your reasoning.

The OG spiderman looked like he was made for all those that grew up with him, and now we get to play as him during his adult hood years - living through a part of his life way past the constant high school era that movies depict.

This new one looked like he barely got out of high school.

I cant wait to roll my eyes when I watch the cut scenes with MJ and see this little kid talk.

Sheesh, you think they changed other face models too?

What blows my mind is that they didn't change Dr. Octavious. We know they didn't change Miles but changed Peter for some fucked up reason? So now Peter looks younger than Miles. They had of have changed Mary Jane or else it's going to look like a predatory Milf relationship. Oh and what about Black Cat? Peter thought he got her pregnant!? WTF!

What blows my mind is that they didn't change Dr. Octavious. We know they didn't change Miles but changed Peter for some fucked up reason? So now Peter looks younger than Miles. They had of have changed Mary Jane or else it's going to look like a predatory Milf relationship. Oh and what about Black Cat? Peter thought he got her pregnant!? WTF!

Yeah, honestly, they're argument was to make him more closer to the voice actor....which I seriously doubt it.

What it seems like is that they chose a new face model that somewhat looked like Tom Holland but not really, then change it slightly to look like Tom Holland - just so they can say that it was actually to make it closer to Yuri, the VA, as an excuse.

He looks nothing like Yuri :|

#notmypeterparker

leo-j

I am impressed with that gameplay, native 4k and 60fps and 0 loading and better visuals? Impressive.

Vaelka

Wtf is with all of this motion blur???
Sony is just flinging it at every game.

The background actually looks less clear and Peter is totally unrecognizable lol. His model obviously looks better altho the lighting looks less realistic especially on the clothes and it's like they have to almost try and remove the background to get it to work or something.

I like how people complain about female costumes with superheroes looking like bodypaint, but look at this guy lol. It's like the suit is goíng into his muscles, it's so tight we should be able to see the details of his dick.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

The PS4 version was easily one of the best looking games this gen, so much so that it could almost pass for a next gen game, I mean look at these graphics:

I can only imagine how good the PS5 version will look. Still hate the new face though.

Top Bottom