• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider Man Remaster Details

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
The remaster for the PS5 is no simple up-res, as many of the game’s art assets have been completely updated to take advantage of the PS5 console’s horsepower. You’ll see better-looking characters with improved skin, eyes, hair, and facial animation (including our new, next-generation Peter Parker). You’ll also see ray-traced reflections and ambient shadows, improved lighting, more pedestrians and vehicles stretching further into the distance, and the same optional performance mode offered on Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, allowing you to finally play the game at a targeted 60fps frame rate. We’ll be supporting near-instant loading, 3D audio, and the DualSense controller’s haptic feedback. Lastly we’re adding three amazing new Spider-Man suits, new photo mode features, and even new trophies for those of you looking to Platinum the game all over again
https://blog.playstation.com/2020/09/16/see-the-marvels-spider-man-miles-morales-new-gameplay-demo/

Last edited:

kretos

Banned
I already have the goty fuck you Sony if this isn't a free upgrade

yakuza-zero-money-slap-animated-gif-ps4-game.gif

Most of us already know what the PS5 remaster details are. I'm getting the Ultimate Edition for the DLC I passed on and the extras that are being added. Kinda weird we have yet to see what the remaster looks like though.

JeloSWE

Will the remaster and Morales fix the bad HDR implementation of the PS4 version?

IIRC the sun maxed out at around 5-600 nits and on my Sony Z9F that can do up to 1800 nits, the game looked VERY dim in HDR. In fact I thought my TV was broken and that the HDR wasn't working at first before trying other games that truly did output high nits values.

Will the games respect the PS4/5 HDR setting and/or allow the user to set the in-game peak luminance match the displays peak luminance like many other games does?

I guess I have a fairly capable top end TV, if the display you own isn't able to out put higher nits such as most OLEDs, then maybe you didn't notice any thing. What are your thoughts on this?

Soodanim

• Graphics - updates
  • Lighting - ray tracing
  • Performance - 60fps target mode
  • Audio - 3D
  • Environment - more pedestrians
  • Controller - haptic
  • Costumes - 3 more
  • Photo mode - more features
  • Trophies - new ones
If that's exhaustive, that's a hard sell for anyone that bought the original. Take away anything not related to gameplay and/or included to push/showcase the PS5's USPs and you have 3 costumes, some niche photo mode stuff and a couple trophies.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
If getting upressed to 4K, 120 FPS, okay, yeah, free upgrade. This is standard practice.

Is a company still required to give it to you for free, however, if they’re directly changing and updating assets? Foundational improvements ala PS3 > PS4 remasters? Because I’ve never seen a widespread precedent for that.

Anyway, I’m guessing that these are the Miles Morales PS5 assets, and it makes sense to bring them over to this. Which might also be some good news for people disappointed in the cross-gen news — it looks like Miles Morales may not be just the PS4 city and assets running in 4K on PS5.

Malakhov

Banned
As someone who haven't played spiderman ps4 but want to, there's a bundle of the ps4 upgrade and miles game?

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

So basically they are milking this because its spiderman?

I don't think so... Watch them do the same thing with their other bestsellers from this generation.

People accepting this sets a bad precedent. I hope nobody buys it.
Majority of the games will be booster, personally, spiderman is their golden goose that sold bangers and will continue to sell bangers. They also know theres probably alot of people that have yet to play it so are bundling it with miles morales. Its the smart move to push your franchise more

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
If getting upressed to 4K, 120 FPS, okay, yeah, free upgrade. This is standard practice.

Is a company still required to give it to you for free, however, if they’re directly changing and updating assets? Foundational improvements ala PS3 > PS4 remasters? Because I’ve never seen a widespread precedent for that.

Anyway, I’m guessing that these are the Miles Morales PS5 assets, and it makes sense to bring them over to this. Which might also be some good news for people disappointed in the cross-gen news — it looks like Miles Morales may not be just the PS4 city and assets running in 4K on PS5.
Plus it's like $20 for that game and all the DLC considering it's only $20 more than the standard miles game

As someone who haven't played spiderman ps4 but want to, there's a bundle of the ps4 upgrade and miles game?
Yep for $70

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Majority of the games will be booster, personally, spiderman is their golden goose that sold bangers and will continue to sell bangers. They also know theres probably alot of people that have yet to play it so are bundling it with miles morales. Its the smart move to push your franchise more

I think the smart thing to do would be to give this to owners of the PS4 version plus the season pass (game + all DLC) for free so that anyone upgrading to a PS5 gets an instant taste of all the next gen upgrades. That way it would make those people more likely to buy Miles Morales.

Instead, by doing it this way they are just pissing off their loyal customers.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

I think the smart thing to do would be to give this to owners of the PS4 version plus the season pass (game + all DLC) for free so that anyone upgrading to a PS5 gets an instant taste of all the next gen upgrades. That way it would make those people more likely to buy Miles Morales.

Instead, by doing it this way they are just pissing off their loyal customers.
I mean its not a full priced game, people who like spiderman, miles morales etc already decided they are going to get it. Now they just choose if they want the 49-69 dollar version. One with just Miles or also with the first spiderman game

Glad I skipped the PS4 version so I can finally play Spiderman at a proper 60fps.

Hoping Sony does this with all of their exclusives still stuck at 30.

Umbral

The neon-noir style makes it so I can‘t tell if I’m looking at Spiderman, Fortnite, Watch Dogs: Legion, Rage 2, Cyberpunk 2077, or Blood Dragon. What the fuck is this look that’s in every game now?

Edit: It kind of says “Hey, stupid, you like bright flashing colors don’t you? Yeah you do you little idiot. Follow the bright shiny neon colors. Over here, dummy, see the twinkling thing? Yes, you do.”

50349409708_efa9c9f441_k.jpg

Last edited:

Dthomp

Platinumed it on Ps4, but I didn't get the DLCs so those, Miles Morales game and some improvements will keep me busy long enough, not like there's anything else worth grabbing at launch anyways so back to some sexy swinging for this guy

Bluecondor

I loved the PS4 Spiderman game. I platinumed the game and bought and played through the DLC.

That said - there is a 0% that I would want to play a PS5 "remaster" of the game in 2021. A PS6 remaster in the year 2032 or PS7 remaster in 2043 would be interesting.

For my money, Take Two is offering a remaster that I will definitely buy. The PS2 version of Mafia from 2001 was a great game. A remaster for the PS4 in 2020 is really interesting. I am really looking forward to it.

Dthomp

Why should it be a free upgrade?

Because clearly every game that has existed should have a free upgrade /s

It's not like Spiderman just came out, this is a two year old game that they had to put work into for the PS5, not including the entire new Miles Morales game/experience.

Everybody around here these days is just extra angry at everything lately. It's real annoying

Unknown?

So basically they are milking this because its spiderman?

I don't think so... Watch them do the same thing with their other bestsellers from this generation.

People accepting this sets a bad precedent. I hope nobody buys it.
Why should we accept crappy upres for old games? I prefer they actually update it. If you don't want the updates, you still have backwards compatibility.

jonnyp

The neon-noir style makes it so I can‘t tell if I’m looking at Spiderman, Fortnite, Watch Dogs: Legion, Rage 2, Cyberpunk 2077, or Blood Dragon. What the fuck is this look that’s in every game now?

Edit: It kind of says “Hey, stupid, you like bright flashing colors don’t you? Yeah you do you little idiot. Follow the bright shiny neon colors. Over here, dummy, see the twinkling thing? Yes, you do.”

50349409708_efa9c9f441_k.jpg

What a weird thing to be upset about. Don't buy it then.

Top Bottom