• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man Miles Morales sold 70% less copies than 2018's Spider-Man

VulcanRaven

When they announce sales of a game it's full game sales on its different versions. DLC sales aren't included here.
In this case the number is 4.1M units sold for Spider-Man Miles Morales in around a month and a half (vs 3.3M of the original Spider-Man sold i the first weekend), so it includes both its standard (only MM) and ultimate (MM+dlc+remaster) editions and not its DLC (the $20 one/remaster).

Spider-Man Miles Morales isn't a DLC. It isn't an expansion. It's a standalone full game.
It uses almost exactly the same map so it feels like an expansion to many people.

How is Miles a copy cat when he has better powers than Peter.
Just admit it, you wanted a white spiderman.
I don't think most would like if they had to play a Batman game that has someone else than Bruce Wayne as Batman. I like Miles Morales but I understand why some might not want to play as him.

Last edited:

Barrage

Glad to see most posters aren't jumping into the "woke"/culture wars nonsense as the cause.

For me, I think with the DLC and replaying the first game, it hasn't felt like it's been long enough for me to "miss" playing as Spider-Man, if that makes sense. So I feel comfortable waiting until I get a PS5/ a major sale to pick this one up.

RGB'D

Disagree. I just finished the game and the length is not a problem. If you leave a ton of content in the game untouched and stick only to the main campaign then I guess it would feel short. Why would anyone do that though? The gameplay is so good especially with the stealth elements that have been added. There is a ton of value in this $50 game.

Sales of this game are going to rise along with sales of PS5. I could have bought this game on PS4, but I waited until I got a PS5. That is going to be the case for the vast majority. 71% of the sales in the UK were on PS5. So most are obviously not willing to settle on the PS4 version. Even if that were not the case, as stated before, a standalone expansion isn't going to reach the hype of the first Spider-Man.
It is a phenomenal game and I enjoyed it immensely. I did all the activities because I knew that the story wasn't that long. It's also ten dollars less than I paid for the original and significantly shorter. Maybe we just disagree, but I wish it was a longer game. As it is a standalone expansion, I still feel that the 50$ price tag was too much for its length and think it would have been better in the 30$ price range.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Still waiting on a sale price, should be $25 with spider man remastered

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
It is a phenomenal game and I enjoyed it immensely. I did all the activities because I knew that the story wasn't that long. It's also ten dollars less than I paid for the original and significantly shorter. Maybe we just disagree, but I wish it was a longer game. As it is a standalone expansion, I still feel that the 50$ price tag was too much for its length and think it would have been better in the 30$ price range.

Yeah....I guess we will just disagree. You got 12+ hours out of that game. Seems like a good price to me.

yurinka

Disagree. I just finished the game and the length is not a problem. If you leave a ton of content in the game untouched and stick only to the main campaign then I guess it would feel short. Why would anyone do that though? The gameplay is so good especially with the stealth elements that have been added. There is a ton of value in this $50 game.

Sales of this game are going to rise along with sales of PS5. I could have bought this game on PS4, but I waited until I got a PS5. That is going to be the case for the vast majority. 71% of the sales in the UK were on PS5. So most are obviously not willing to settle on the PS4 version. Even if that were not the case, as stated before, a standalone expansion isn't going to reach the hype of the first Spider-Man.
In my case, I'm a fan of the first game but didn't buy Morales because I plan to do it for PS5 once I can get the console

Considering how fast the new shipments get sold out (less than 5-10 minutes here in Spain) I think the demand for PS5 is pretty insane so maybe many people is in the same situation than me.

sainraja

Because it's not a full sequel therefore wasn't marketed as bigly as 2018.

I'm also under the impression people want to wait till ps5 to play it, or they don't know it's on ps4.
That's the boat I am in. But if I can't get a PS5 soon than I might as well.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It's a small spin off, selling 4.1 M this fast is actually a massive success compared to what it would've cost to develop.

VulcanRaven

I don't think they were expecting it to do as well. Its a smaller spin-off and you don't play as Peter. I don't think Gotham Knights will sell as much as Arkham Knight.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It's a small spin off, selling 4.1 M this fast is actually a massive success compared to what it would've cost to develop.
~18 months of development (based on job hiring details). The game wouldn't have cost more than $30 million to develop.

Ghost of Tsushima is 6.5+ million units, and MM is 3 positions above that. So 8+ million units is a safe bet. It still hasn't been discounted yet, so 8 million copies at $40 (let's ignore all the Ultimate edition for now) amounts to roughly $320 million.

That's an ROI of more than 1,000%!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
~18 months of development (based on job hiring details). The game wouldn't have cost more than $30 million to develop.

Ghost of Tsushima is 6.5+ million units, and MM is 3 positions above that. So 8+ million units is a safe bet. It still hasn't been discounted yet, so 8 million copies at $40 (let's ignore all the Ultimate edition for now) amounts to roughly $320 million.

It's $50 though.

Same reasons why Uncharted Lost Legacy didn t sell close to what U4 did: It's not a full sequel and the protagonist is not the main character of the franchise.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Month-by-Month Comparison (Using God of War as the third best selling title as reference)

Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales

November - #3
December - #4
January - #3
February - #4
March - #5

Marvel's Spider-Man

September - #1
October - #8
December - #10
January - #18
February - #20
March - n/a

God of War

April - #1
May - #2
June - #2
July - #13
August - #7
September - n/a

It hasn't left the top 5 in 5 months and that's really surprising.

ethomaz

Banned
Month-by-Month Comparison (Using God of War as the third best selling title as reference)

Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales

November - #3
December - #4
January - #3
February - #4
March - #5

Marvel's Spider-Man

September - #1
October - #8
December - #10
January - #18
February - #20
March - n/a

God of War

April - #1
May - #2
June - #2
July - #13
August - #7
September - n/a

It hasn't left the top 5 in 5 months and that's really surprising.
It is due PS5 base... more people getting PS5 = more Miles sales every month.

kretos

Banned

Overpriced dlc, as has been said before. Regardless of what the fanboys say. But if they wanted to pay $50 for 10 hour dlc, good for them 👏👏👏

Because its the same shit only shorter

isDEgq.gif

Last edited:

Concern

i didn't wait for anything i just checked the old replies when the thread was pumped and thought it was funny when you thought the game bombed and was celebrating

Sureeee 👌👌👌..... 5 months lol

And its a dlc, not a game. Still hilarious how many have waited just to bump this thread almost half a year later. Shows how emotionally invested you guys are.

Just tells you how stupid people are. This was a dlc that should have been sold for $20 but Sony actually made you pay $70 lmao.

A good game is a good game. If Miles is DLC because you can finish it in 15 hours, then games like Gears, Halo, Doom, Uncharted, Plague Tale, Bioshock, etc. are all "DLCs".
I haven't played most of the games you mentioned, but Doom was without a doubt overpriced. You could finish that game in 5 to 10 hours. I don't know why anyone would think that's acceptable.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Thats actually pretty surprising to me since it was on both PS4 and 5. Yet...I have a PS5 and havent bought it due to the price. I will definitely pick it up on sale.
I had no idea it's on ps4... Buy I have ps5 and was not interested in it anyway. Too expensive

AmuroChan

Standalone expansions never sell as well as the full-fledged game, even if the price is right. You can look at examples like Left Behind, Lost Legacy, and First Light within the PlayStation ecosystem. None of them sold anywhere close to TLOU, Uncharted 4, and Infamous SS.

Standalone expansions never sell as well as the full-fledged game, even if the price is right. You can look at examples like Left Behind, Lost Legacy, and First Light within the PlayStation ecosystem. None of them sold anywhere close to TLOU, Uncharted 4, and Infamous SS.
Miles Morales already outsold TLOU2 and GOT in the US.

AmuroChan

Miles Morales already outsold TLOU2 and GOT in the US.

I'm talking about when comparing to the full fledged game from which the expansion comes. So Miles Morales from Spider-Man, First Light from Second Son, Left Behind from TLOU, Lost Legacy from Uncharted 4. None of those standalone expansions sold better the "parent" game.

Paasei

People don't have a PS5 to play it on. I could get it for my PS4, but I don't want to play on that console anymore now that the new one is out. Can't be bothered to play in 30fps when 60fps is available.

Top Bottom