• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man Miles Morales for the PS5 will sport more life like combat animations

So came across these over twitter:

EdttBjxVAAAJXs9

EdtgkEuVAAAKVF-

EdtgkE9UcAAvhfS

EdtgkEuU8AATdbF

Things we know so far:
-Insomniac have gone for 4D scans to bring a new sense of photorealism for their character models, as you can see how lifelike Miles looks in his's PS5 outing.
-Ray Tracing will bring night time New York City to life like never before
-Game will feature an option 4K60fps performance mode for all those higher fps junkies
-Game is compared to Uncharted Lost Legacy in terms of gameplay content.
-Miles swinging animation will be unique compared to Peter Parker. Miles will have a sense of flailing movement as he swings.
-Snow capped NYC.
-Holiday2020
#BeYourself #BeGreater #PS5 #Holiday2020

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
Spider-Man is one of my games of the generation.

I know it's not as loved on GAF as much as GOW or Bloodborne but for me it's a game with a huge emphasis on fun (which is the most important part of gaming for me) and the traversal alone is one of the best mechanics in gaming currently.

For me personally they can do a few minor things, like improve the animations, improve the lighting, add new weather effects etc. and it will be a must play, day one, game for me.

This game guarantees that I'm interested in getting a PS5 day one. Hopefully we hear/see more about it soon.

Spider-Man is one of my games of the generation.

I know it's not as loved on GAF as much as GOW or Bloodborne but for me it's a game with a huge emphasis on fun (which is the most important part of gaming for me) and the traversal alone is one of the best mechanics in gaming currently.

For me personally they can do a few minor things, like improve the animations, improve the lighting, add new weather effects etc. and it will be a must play, day one, game for me.

This game guarantees that I'm interested in getting a PS5 day one. Hopefully we hear/see more about it soon.

Spider-Man was one of among my most played games this gen, platinumed it during it's launch window on PS4. Need Miles Morales in my veins, PS5 hurry the hell up sir!

Whats amazing is, this game initially was a concept tech demo for the SSD systems of the PS5. They turned the demo into a full piece of software which is going to sell millions.
you're sorta wrong on that, the PS5 wired interview back in may 2019 featured a low powered PS5 dev kit running PS4's Spider-Man just to demonstrate how fast the assets could be streamed and how there's virtually no loading screen at all during fast travel.

Liamario

Banned
I haven't yet played the first one. I have it downloaded, but I'll wait to play it on ps5, where the jet engine sound will be absent (hopefully🤞)

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Hell yes. This was one of the things I was most excited about. More lifelike animations and physics. Zen2 putting in work. Hopefully more NPCs walking around.

Also I will play this one at 30fps because of RT. I can only imagine how beautiful NYC will look at night with RT.

Nydus

Gold Member
So is this a complete new spider man game or a beefed up version of the ps4 Game with another lead character?

Elcid

Banned

EdttBjxVAAAJXs9

EdtgkEuVAAAKVF-

EdtgkE9UcAAvhfS

EdtgkEuU8AATdbF

Things we know so far:
-Insomniac have gone for 4D scans to bring a new sense of photorealism for their character models, as you can see how lifelike Miles looks in his's PS5 outing.
-Game will feature an option 4K60fps performance mode for all those higher fps junkies
-Miles swinging animation will be unique compared to Peter Parker. Miles will have a sense of flailing movement as he swings.
-Snow capped NYC.
-Holiday2020

Give it to me, right in my veins. God I hope this one has no stupid stealth.

ZZZZ

Sony with a really great year.
Persona 5 Royal.
FF VIIR
Ghosts of Tsushima
And maybe Spiderman to finish the year if everything goes well in development.

truth411

(Tin Foil Hat On)
Year 2018.
Sony: Oh snap, this Spiderman game is flying off shelves, thats it, make Ted Price an offer he can't refuse!!!

Insomniac: Sweet we're officially part of the team now. After the initial DLC for Spidey game we have a stand alone expansion similar to Second Son first light, Uncharted Lost legacy, Horizon frozen Wilds etc. About a year after launch just like those other games for Q3 2019.

Sony: Hmmmm, cool but instead of releasing it for PS4 in 2019 lets make it a PS5 game thus give you an extra year of dev time to beef up the content/Visuals and Animations abit. It will move alot of PS5s and you'll make more money.

Insomniac: Ok, good idea, hey were noticing the PS5 SSD/IO throughput is insanely fast, moving from a 5400rpm 50-100mb HDD to 9GB (or potentially more) with no bottlenecks is eye opening. No need for those Subway fast travels lol.

Sony: Sweet, good point, we will use that example when advertising the PS5.

Insomniac: Ok.

Last edited:

JTCx

Maybe it's a 4K performance mode + 60fps performance mode, so actually it's double and amounts to 8K/120. 🤯
Reminds me when this poster said since Medium is running 30 fps on two separate screens its going to be 60 fps. LMAO

I can already feel the 120 fps by looking at those mocaps.

Xander3116

(Tin Foil Hat On)
Year 2018.
Sony: Oh snap, this Spiderman game is flying off shelves, thats it, make Ted Price an offer he can't refuse.

Insomniac: Sweet we're officially part of the team now. After the initial DLC for Spidey game we have a stand alone expansion similar to Second Son first light, Uncharted Lost legacy, Horizon frozen Wilds etc. About a year after launch just like those other games for Q3 2019.

Sony: Hmmmm, cool but instead of releasing it for PS4 in 2019 lets make it a PS5 game thus give you an extra year of dev time to beef up the content/Visuals and Animations abit. It will move alot of PS5s and you'll make more money.

Insomniac: Ok, good idea, hey were noticing the PS5 SSD/IO throughput is insanely fast, moving from a 5400rpm 50-100mb HDD to 9GB (or potentially more) with no bottlenecks is eye opening. No need for the Subway fast travels lol.

I can confirm that it went down exactly like this.

JTCx

(Tin Foil Hat On)
Year 2018.
Sony: Oh snap, this Spiderman game is flying off shelves, thats it, make Ted Price an offer he can't refuse.

Insomniac: Ok, good idea, hey were noticing the PS5 SSD/IO throughput is insanely fast, moving from a 5400rpm 50-100mb HDD to 9GB (or potentially more) with no bottlenecks is eye opening. No need for the Subway fast travels lol.

Such a shame this didnt work out for Halo.

sonyfifa

EdttBjxVAAAJXs9

EdtgkEuVAAAKVF-

EdtgkE9UcAAvhfS

EdtgkEuU8AATdbF

Things we know so far:
-Snow capped NYC.
-Holiday2020

i wonder how far they go with ray tracing in the new spiderman @4k60fps.

wow so soon also in a couple of months.

Last edited:

Yoboman

I think this has every chance to be incredible without the work needed for a whole new city

They can expand on the original New York with more stuff to do, more NPC density, weather effects, day night cycle

Get away from the good boy aesthetic of Peter Parker

They can really play with an origin story dynamkc. Which oddly superhero games rarely seem to touch on, but are always the most fun stories

Improve on the weak side quests from n the first

Miles should feel completely different in combat and swinging styles, unique powers

If Sony have this at launch and its 20 hour plus experience, they've got a massive winner

And they should hire the guys that did the Spiderverse soundtrack

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
So is this a complete new spider man game or a beefed up version of the ps4 Game with another lead character?
It's going to be a standalone game like Uncharted Lost Legacy

New story
New animations
New enemies
New side missions
Raytracing
Weather

I don't expect that they've overhauled the sidequests and side-activities completely (although they improved somewhat with the DLC, as did combat variety). That to me was a bit of a letdown with the first game.

I'm however really excited to see the game showcase the system's power and that SSD/I/O goodness - if just but a taste of what's to come for PS5, and the proper sequel. Also the story should be fun.

Last edited:
My guess is that this version of Spider-Man will keep the outside city and add a bunch of indoor locations and quests. This will allow them to show off the SSD with seamless transitions between inside and outside, which is something they wanted to do in the first game but couldn't.

Banned
life like hopefully doesn't mean shit... because usually it means that when it comes to game animations.

in a game with melee combat your hits and the swings of your opponents have to be not only easy to read but also feel impactful.

real life attack motions don't always do that, and that's where realistic animations literally make the game worse.

Top Bottom