• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider Man back at MCU

sol_bad

Can't wait to see another average instalment in the series with another pathetic and forgettable villain.

Vulture and Mysterio forgettable? What the?

Anyway, I'm sure you all know I'm very happy about this. Even if it is just 1 more movie, at least they'll be able to have closure.

Does this means there will be five MCU movies in 2021? This franchise is truly cancer.

There are currently 3 movies scheduled for 2021, now 4 movies. They'll probably push one of them to 2022.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
There are currently 3 movies scheduled for 2021, now 4 movies. They'll probably push one of them to 2022.

Why would they push anything? The Spider-Man date doesn't conflict with anything since Feige knew it would be July when planning out the dates.

He even slipped up at SDCC when being interviewed with MTV. They revealed 10 projects and he said they had 11 through 2021. The 11th was Spider-Man.

sol_bad

Why would they push anything? The Spider-Man date doesn't conflict with anything since Feige knew it would be July when planning out the dates.

He even slipped up at SDCC when being interviewed with MTV. They revealed 10 projects and he said they had 11 through 2021. The 11th was Spider-Man.

I did not pick up on that MTV slip at all. I guess this whole Spidey thing was just all promotional and intended.

quickwhips

Thank goodness. I really like Tom and was imaging him in spiderman 3. I know he said he would play the part as long as they let him. So it will be awesome to keep this going.

quickwhips

The Andrew Garfield movies are better and have a way more interesting Peter Parker than the MCU films. The MCU movies don't even attempt the more grounded struggles that PP has in the comics like trying to pay rent or make it to class on time. There's no dichotomy between Spider-Man and PP in the MCU films which is the thing that made him extremely in the first place.
There was in civil war and it went away because of Tony. Maybe now it will be more grounded.

There was in civil war and it went away because of Tony. Maybe now it will be more grounded.

There's no way it can be more grounded after Far From Home and that's another major issue with MCU Spidey.

Everything in MCU Spidey goes from 0-100 and there's no in between, this is especially true with Far From Home.

Also don't even get me started on how the MCU MJ relationship angle is more cringey and forced than the Kirsten Dunst/Maguire relationship. (I never even thought that would be possible)

Fbh

Meh, I was actually somewhat interested in seeing what Sony would do. This MCU version of Spiderman has been the weakest live action version so far IMO

Guess it's back to Iron Man Jr's highschool adventures. At least he is fun in the crossover movies (Avengers, etc)

thequestion

I just really hope Disney doesn’t force a “team-up” in the next Spidey film. Spider-man is a strong enough character to carry a film solo. And for love of god, don’t inject an unpopular character into this next film, in some misguided hope that will make an unlikeable character, more likeable. (I don’t want to pollute my post with her name)

More JJJ and Daily Bugle stuff is a must - can’t wait to see more of that!

Gargus

Banned
If Sony was really smart they would license spiderman and the spiderman universe characters to Disney. Not sell but rent them. Sony could sit back and make just as much profit as they probably make from making their own movies only this way they don't have to do a damn thing. If disney wants them bad enough they could even put in a clause that if a movie with those characters makes x amount of dollars they get a small percent. Sony could still produce their own spiderman games and make animated movies off him like spiderverse but disney does the live action stuff.

Would be a win for both sides. Sony gets to maintain them while making money, disney can use them which further broadens their brand and everyone gets to make money. And both companies get promotions from big selling movies for their other products like comic books for disney and games and animation for sony, and they work out a merchandise agreement.

Of course I don't know shit about business or if that's even a viable idea but it's one I would explore if I were them.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I just really hope Disney doesn’t force a “team-up” in the next Spidey film. Spider-man is a strong enough character to carry a film solo. And for love of god, don’t inject an unpopular character into this next film, in some misguided hope that will make an unlikeable character, more likeable. (I don’t want to pollute my post with her name)

Disney isn't the one forcing the team ups. It's Sony who wants the MCU characters to boost the box office.

I just watched the Raimi trilogy this week, and for my money I enjoy those more than anything from the MCU. Yes even 3.
I like the first Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2. In fact, I used to rewatch the movies a lot when I was younger but after seeing Spider-Man: Homecoming, I really enjoyed Tom Holland's performance as Peter Parker/Spider-Man, even more so since I didn't really care for the two Amazing Spider-Man movies outside of the action.

Last edited:

Your going to take your awful Aunt May/Happy relationship side plot and like it.

LOLCats

Banned
Meh, I wish Sony wouldn't give in to reddit soyboys outrcry (yeah yeah) and just try their own thing for once.
They did their own thing right... all those prior movies... kinda lame to be honest. Toby mcguire fuckface and then that sad soyboy that looked more like goofy than peter parker.. wasnt there another dufus too?

Last edited:
I am confused if Disney got 25% equity of the license/franchise or 25% equity for just the 3rd movie. The wording is confusing and forbes is saying 25% of the license, others are saying 25% for just the 3rd movie, and there's someone on youtube saying the equity is for the duration of the contract (i.e. 25% for all SM movies and spin offs in the next 3-4 years).

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Wow Sony actually bent Disney over and fist fucked them for what they got.
And it's still temporary lol
Guess we should have known.
Sony has dealt with big pushy corporate business before.
Afterall Sony is the OG in this type of business.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Wow Sony actually bent Disney over and fist fucked them for what they got.
And it's still temporary lol
Guess we should have known.
Sony has dealt with big pushy corporate business before.
Afterall Sony is the OG in this type of business.

Sony went from giving Disney 5% of the first dollar gross to 25% of the box office.

TGO

Sony went from giving Disney 5% of the first dollar gross to 25% of the box office.
Yeah and Disney wanted 50%
Sony had already offered 25% and wanted to use Tom Holland in their Films outside the MCU.
Sony got what they originally offered and more.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Yeah and Disney wanted 50%
Sony had already offered 25% and wanted to use Tom Holland in their Films outside the MCU.
Sony got what they originally offered and more.

No, Disney didn't want 50%. That was Sony propaganda that Deadline ran. No one else reported that, and it was in the initial report. THR said Disney offered 30% and Sony scoffed at it.

Disney had been seeking a co-financing arrangement on upcoming movies, looking for at least a 30 percent stake. Sony, which counts Spider-Man as one of its only reliable moneymaking franchises, said no. Before both sides walked away, talks had gone to the top level, with Rothman and CEO Tony Vinciquerra on Sony’s side and Disney Studios' co-chairmen Alan Horn and Alan Bergman involved.

TGO

No, Disney didn't want 50%. That was Sony propaganda that Deadline ran. No one else reported that, and it was in the initial report. THR said Disney offered 30% and Sony scoffed at it.

giphy.gif

Bet ya believed the Apple buying Sony and Disney buying Spidy back rumours too..

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
I haven't been interested in Spiderman since they replaced Tobey Maguire & Sam Raimi. I also don't give a flying f*ck about an "extended universe" which demands I watch dozens of movies just to get an infantile overarching plot.

bitbydeath

From about the 7.27 mark Bob Iger explains how Tom Holland brought Disney and Marvel back together.

Last edited:
I can’t help but feel like I enjoyed Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 more than Homecoming and Far From Home. Those first two movies were fucking classics. Perfect text book comic book movies. I was let down by both Homecoming and Far From Home. I really dig Tom Holland. I think he’s the best Spider-Man by far, but the plot and the stupid ass MJ and the “blooming romance” between them is so fucking lame. They need to distance him away from Tony Stark ASAP IMO. He hasn’t had to struggle for shit in his life since meeting Tony, even after what happened in Endgame. I just want a classic take on Spider-Man. Is that too much to ask for these days?

I watched Far From Home today. I always enjoy Gyllenhaal and a good CGI clusterfuck, but the movie should have been more about Parker's idiotic European adventures than fighting villains.
All that stuff during the trip was comedy gold IMO. Why can't these movies be small scale for once? The main dude is funny, the director knows comedy, the side characters are funny... So why is it always about CGI villains blowing up buildings?
It's not like they can't have spectacular visuals in a straightforward comedy - the first drone scene was especially hilarious because of the contrast between the bus in the Alps and the huge fucking satellite launching the killer robot.

Top Bottom