• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 2 will allow you to choose between Peter/Miles for missions

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.theilluminerdi.com/2021/10/08/spider-man-2-video-game/ via Reddit (now deleted)

With the game still more than a year away from releasing, questions now come regarding how this hyped sequel will improve on everything that the 2018 game laid on the table. Today, those questions begin to get some answers thanks to a newly discovered Reddit leak.

This Reddit leak reveals new details on what to expect from the gameplay in Insomniac’s Spider-Man 2, which we are excited to share with you ahead.

Throughout the game, players will have their choice of playing as either Peter Parker or Miles Morales, giving the opportunity to use both heroes’ unique skillsets in battle. Whether you want to use Peter’s new Dok-Ock-inspired arms or blast bad guys with Miles’ Venom strike, both will be available to use in battle.

Whichever character isn’t in use will still be included in missions as well, tagging alongside the main Spidey and serving as backup support controlled by the AI.

This game also improves on Peter’s web trick system after advances from the Miles Morales game, and the wall-crawling mechanics are also improved to make it feel more seamless for players.

Peter is said to gain possession of the Oscorp-developed Venom suit early in the game, gaining the aforementioned four extra arms on his back in the process. After losing the suit to an unspecified host, Peter goes full robotic scientist and created four of his own arm extensions to use with his suit in the future.

hqOQ0A.jpg

Web shoot me if old

D3SCHA1N

Wait so we gain the Venom suit early but lose it not long after to an unspecified host and just get those robot arms as a parting gift? I was at least hoping we'd have the black suit for a significant portion of the game, complete with a dedicated portion of the skill tree.

I am glad they're iterating on the tricks system though, the tricks in the Miles game were a big improvement in both variety and control.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Whichever character isn’t in use will still be included in missions as well, tagging alongside the main Spidey and serving as backup support controlled by the AI.
Lets see how this works. I much prefer a lone adventure in these settings rather than power duo.
Will the other character will just appear out of nowhere for combo takedowns or we can see him literally tag along with us shooting webs at out of camera enemies, don't like both of the ideas.

GymWolf

Gold Member
What are considered web tricks?! Like the acrobatic stuff you do while swinging?! Or combat related stuff?!

Certinty

I hope not, I want both to have specific missions based on their characters and powers alone. The only time I want to be able to change between both freely is in the open world.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Wen Spider Gwen?
When the multiverse is introduced in the 1048 universe I guess.
Cuz having Gwen Stacy from in universe also develop Spider powers is a whack way to introduce her.

And we really should get Cindy Moon before Ghost Spider anyway, she would likely be more interesting a character than an in-universe Ghost Spider or even a universe displaced Ghost Spider.

GymWolf

Gold Member
That’s unique to Miles as that was a different type of Spider that bit him.

Peter has way better gadgets though.
Gadgets are lame and make the game a total cakewalk, never used them.

I don't care for miles and his chipmunk voice, but he has the far better powers, not gonna lie.

Jack Uzi

Banned
Gadgets are lame and make the game a total cakewalk, never used them.

I don't care for miles and his chipmunk voice, but he has the far better powers, not gonna lie.
His voice yeah, kid speaks to his uncle in his regular voice as Spider-Man. The actor needs to work on that.
Venom powers kinda make things simpler too don’t you think? It’s good on crowd control.

GymWolf

Gold Member
His voice yeah, kid speaks to his uncle in his regular voice as Spider-Man. The actor needs to work on that.
Venom powers kinda make things simpler too don’t you think? It’s good on crowd control.
The game is a cakewalk no matter what tbh (recently replayed the remaster edition on the locked max difficulty and yeah...), but gadgets are less fun to use, also as a ragdoll tech lover, i love using the charged punch to send enemy flying everywhere and spiderman games have excellent ragdoll :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
My prediction this game will be co-op for the entire campaign. Obviously certain side missions won't be co-op. Of course co-op will be entirely optional and if you play on your own one Spiderman is AI controlled.

Jack Uzi

Banned
The game is a cakewalk no matter what tbh (recently replayed the remaster edition on the locked max difficulty and yeah...), but gadgets are less fun to use, also as a ragdoll tech lover, i love using the charged punch to send enemy flying everywhere and spiderman games have excellent ragdoll :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Haha yeah they really go flying off of buildings too having me question if Spidey kills lol. Fortunately you see them get webbed up.

Shmunter

That sucks frankly. By giving character flexibility, the narrative must be more generic to fit both. Best to create linear narrative switching between various characters.

The only way it could work is if the plot diverges somehow, or they are actually both present at these missions.

AlexxKidd

Smells like bullshit. The "Dok-Ock-inspired arms" have a name and are already in Spider-Man PS4. It's called the Iron Spider suit. The leaker literally mentioned them because he saw the Spider-Man 2 trailer that everybody else saw lol. If he had known any shit at all, he'd know that they are "Tony Stark-inspired," not "Dok-Ock," and as I said, fully usable in the 2018 game.

marvels-spider-man-ps4-iron-spider-suit.jpg

Duchess

Would be interesting if some missions played out differently depending on who you chose, to encourage a second playthrough, using a different character.

Smells like bullshit. The "Dok-Ock-inspired arms" have a name and are already in Spider-Man PS4. It's called the Iron Spider suit. The leaker literally mentioned them because he saw the Spider-Man 2 trailer that everybody else saw lol. If he had known any shit at all, he'd know that they are "Tony Stark-inspired," not "Dok-Ock," and as I said, fully usable in the 2018 game.

marvels-spider-man-ps4-iron-spider-suit.jpg
Yeah this right here.

Fbh

Sounds like once you choose a spidey for the mission you are locked in, which is kinda boring.
I was hoping they'd fully use that Ps5 SSD and CPU to let the player dynamically swap between characters during missions. Like start the mission with Peter but then Miles also has to do something on the other side of town and you can instantly swap between characters with a single button press.

Sort of like what Rockstar tried to do with GTA but more seamless and less scripted.

Spidey is like yakuza protagonists, they don't kill people, just severely injure them.

I've always loved good ol' "I don't Kill" kazuma trying to only slightly injure random street thugs
BonyRashHamadryad-max-1mb.gif

GymWolf

Gold Member
Sounds like once you choose a spidey for the mission you are locked in, which is kinda boring.
I was hoping they'd fully use that Ps5 SSD and CPU to let the player dynamically swap between characters during missions. Like start the mission with Peter but then Miles also has to do something on the other side of town and you can instantly swap between characters with a single button press.

Sort of like what Rockstar tried to do with GTA but more seamless and less scripted.

I've always loved good ol' "I don't Kill" kazuma trying to only slightly injure random street thugs
I see nothing that a couple of stitches can't fix.

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member

That random street thug is fine. Just a flesh wound.

1469030019-monty-python-dark-knight-fight.gif

Chakan

I hope that's fake. I'd be more interested in specific missions for each character and no AI controlled sidekick.

Kokoloko85

I think they will introduce Spider Gwen too which will be cool. As long as they don’t neglect Peter Parkers story and gameplay

Doom85

I think they will introduce Spider Gwen too which will be cool. As long as they don’t neglect Peter Parkers story and gameplay

I imagine all will be relevant, since I assume the voice speaking in the trailer is Kraven (whose question is then answered by Venom), and as far as I know his character is tied pretty much still to Peter and not Miles or Gwen at least in the comics.

If Gwenom appears, that would be dope as fuck.

D8c9v3R.jpg

The most important thing is that the characters actually feel different, or else it's kind of pointless. If you could seemlessly switch between people that have different powers and strengths, and switching was a tactical decision, then that's cool. In Miles Morales' game, he honestly felt 99% exactly the same with a couple tacked on specials that are unique.

If they flesh them out so that they're way more distinct, then this could be good.

Jack Uzi

Banned
I was going to basically say the same joke but with Ben Reilly instead, but generally people who mock the legacy characters barely even read comics (since they’ve been a thing since the 50’s) so the joke would probably have gone over Silent Viper’s head.
You should’ve said it anyway. Makes them look even more foolish.
I don’t see anything that would make Miles a fake Spider-Man he does everything Peter does some things even better.

Doom85

You should’ve said it anyway. Makes them look even more foolish.
I don’t see anything that would make Miles a fake Spider-Man he does everything Peter does some things even better.

Yeah, I believe they are balanced though as while I didn’t read it I know there was a comic arc in the 2000’s where Peter’s strength was essentially doubled, so Miles has more abilities while Peter has more strength.

Jack Uzi

Banned
Yeah, I believe they are balanced though as while I didn’t read it I know there was a comic arc in the 2000’s where Peter’s strength was essentially doubled, so Miles has more abilities while Peter has more strength.
That makes sense I can dig that. I feel like that super jump in the games Peter jumps higher than Miles. Felt like it, I’ll test it later.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Wait so we gain the Venom suit early but lose it not long after to an unspecified host and just get those robot arms as a parting gift? I was at least hoping we'd have the black suit for a significant portion of the game, complete with a dedicated portion of the skill tree.

I am glad they're iterating on the tricks system though, the tricks in the Miles game were a big improvement in both variety and control.
If this is indeed the case, it makes some sense to me. I feel like there is a crowd that is going to crap their pants if they can't switch outfits every two web-swings. I was wondering how they were going to balance that with the symbiote, but it sounds like they may just push through that portion early on.

Personally, I'd like to see a "less is more" approach to the different outfits. We don't need every single outfit from the comics, but it'd be interesting if they were more unique. I'd even say that the suit powers shouldn't be swappable. There is something special about wearing a suit, regardless of looks, to serve a purpose. Without that, you go from strategizing to just playing dress-up.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Random unverified reddit user rumor aside..

I don't like this sort of thing.. give me one character with extensive skill trees and progression. From the sounds of this (again, probably fake):

There's one main story that both miles and Peter are experiencing. Most missions allow you to choose either miles, Peter, or tag-team where one will largely remain in stealth or fight enemies far from you while you play. There's a whole team of engineers working on just AI for this reason.

Choose either or during missions? How does that even work with a game based on XP / advancing characters? Aren't you.. not "in missions" a huge portion of the time?

Top Bottom