• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Spider-Man 2] Peter Parker Actor Yuri Lowenthal Teases Sequel's "Astonishing" Scale says Insomniac Games are Confident About their 2023 Release Date

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
200008.jpg

Earlier this week, we spoke to Yuri Lowenthal about his standout role as Mon El in Legion of Super-Heroes. We'll bring you our full conversation with him in a few days, but while we had the Peter Parker voice actor on the phone, we had to ask if he could share anything about Spider-Man 2!

"I’ve still got a little bit to do. It’s a massive game so I’m still doing a little bit of work," Lowenthal confirmed. "I know they’re confident about their release date and Insomniac has always been good about that. Obviously, I can’t really talk about the game much, but I will tell you that it’s astonishing."

"I’m so excited for you to play it. They know they’ve got big shoes to fill from the last two games and they’ve done it [Laughs],"
he continued. "I just can’t wait for people to play it."

As expected, it sounds like the sequel will be even bigger than its predecessor, something we anticipated with both Peter Parker and Miles Morales likely to be playable characters. It's definitely not uncommon for work to still be taking place this far out from the game's release, and we're pleased Lowenthal is confident in Spider-Man 2 arriving in stores this Fall.

https://comicbookmovie.com/spider_m...astonishing-scale-exclusive-a200008#gs.ndpocc

So Excited Kermit GIF by MOODMAN

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
God I hope so. This will technically be their 3rd game on the PS5 and time for releasing safe launch era games is over. Go big or go home. They are good at releasing great games that are forgotten come award time which is fine but considering the fact that they are the virtually the only sony studio afforded the opportunity to make next gen games, they need to turn up and take the mantle from GG and ND. If they take 5 years to make this game around the amazing specs of the PS5 and lose the GOTY to BOTW a game build on a hardware that is 40x weaker than the PS5 than whatever they are doing is not ambitious enough.

It's time to go balls out and do something completely amazing. Starfield I bet is going to take some awards from BOTW simply due to its scale and ambition, but Spiderman needs to do the same.

P.S If I dont see fast traversal like this im gonna be disappointed. I dont care how they make it work, i just need to see it in a game before I die of being bored to death by the PS3 era video game design.

Ix4yQc5.gif

Mr Moose

P.S If I dont see fast traversal like this im gonna be disappointed. I dont care how they make it work, i just need to see it in a game before I die of being bored to death by the PS3 era video game design.

Ix4yQc5.gif
That's a camera. Fast travel in PS5 Miles is near instant.

SlimySnake

That's a camera. Fast travel in PS5 Miles is near instant.
I am not talking about Fast Travel. im talking about fast traversal. Faster movement speeds. Thats pretty much the entire point of the Cerny IO block. To allow for fast game asset streaming. people have just been using it for fast travel load times, but its real potential is shown in that gif above.

Mr Moose

I am not talking about Fast Travel. im talking about fast traversal. Faster movement speeds. Thats pretty much the entire point of the Cerny IO block. To allow for fast game asset streaming. people have just been using it for fast travel load times, but its real potential is shown in that gif above.
He would need a jetpack for something like that video.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
How are you going to have all the game logic run at that rate?

SlimySnake

How are you going to have all the game logic run at that rate?

I dont care how they make it work, i just need to see it in a game before I die of being bored to death by the PS3 era video game design.
;p

It will obviously be impossible to control spiderman swinging that fast but they can definitely double the speed from the first game and the game should be able to keep up. The CPU they have is twice as fast as the jaguar and most of the game logic is handled by the CPU.

They just need to use the tech Cerny gave them. I dont really care how its done. Ratchet was a good first start but they kept it to setpieces. Maybe they can do the same here. Have a boss kick you and you end up flying to the other side of the map through buildings and whatnot.

I dont know. Just do something we have never seen done in a video game before. Cerny used the Spiderman demo to showcase the power of the IO. It would be a crime if Insomniac dont do anything with it after helping him build this demo.

Last edited:

Katajx

Gold Member
I’d like to see what kind of improvements they have made to the gameplay loop. Like skills and other types of crimes not necessarily the story.

I am also really hoping they don’t fuck up Venom or have a really out there interpretation. I’m not a hard man to please. He’s the bigger, badder version of Spider-Man.

If they go off the wall with the more alien aspects or base his movement off of something like a jungle cat(one of the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games?) then they have massacred my boy.

I know it’s mostly because of my first impression of him, but the McFarlane eyes really seem to go best with the character for me.

God I hope so. This will technically be their 3rd game on the PS5 and time for releasing safe launch era games is over. Go big or go home. They are good at releasing great games that are forgotten come award time which is fine but considering the fact that they are the virtually the only sony studio afforded the opportunity to make next gen games, they need to turn up and take the mantle from GG and ND. If they take 5 years to make this game around the amazing specs of the PS5 and lose the GOTY to BOTW a game build on a hardware that is 40x weaker than the PS5 than whatever they are doing is not ambitious enough.

It's time to go balls out and do something completely amazing. Starfield I bet is going to take some awards from BOTW simply due to its scale and ambition, but Spiderman needs to do the same.

Ix4yQc5.gif

I just want building interiors that can be instantly explored. Doesn't need to be the entire city, but major landmark buildings.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I do believe him, but its not like anyone is ever going to come out and say: yeah, so this project ive been working on and i am partially responsible for is an absolute disaster.

It'd be career suicide, but it would be amazing to see.

"Yeah, I played it. I thought the first game was great, but this one. Ehh. I'm just not sure. Looks... ...ok. I'm hoping they still have time to make some changes to the gameplay though. I can't say too much, obviously, but it is not fun to play and I expect most people will want to buy physical as there's no chance of refunds for digital purchases."

The Skull

I hope they drop the open world collectathon mentality that plagues modern games and instead offer more unique side missions from the main story. Quality over quantity.

midnightAI

They are good at releasing great games that are forgotten come award time which is fine but considering the fact that they are the virtually the only sony studio afforded the opportunity to make next gen games
Sure, if you ignore Bluepoint, Naughty Dog, Team Asobi, Housemarque, PlayStation London, Guerilla, Firesprite, even Polyphony at a push (GT7 VR is PS5 exclusive and to get that running at high frame rates in VR is next gen) and the others we don't know what they are working on (we do know about TLoU multiplayer but not what platforms) but I would think it's highly likely that any new game announced by a PlayStation studio will be PS5 only other than Bungie who are still a multiplatform developer and San Diego who due to contractual obligations may have to put the next MLB on last gen also.

Shubh_C63

Will break every sales records for an exclusive Sony title.

Also inb4 people getting surprised over Peter face change when Spiderman 2 drops.

Mr Hyde

They'll start showing off this game once FF 16 is out the door. Hopefully Sony has a big show planned for August - September, showing off more projects in the work.

Elysion

Banned
Insomniac seem to be one of the few studios who are able to release AAA games in a reasonable timeframe these days. I wonder how close the game will come graphically to the Matrix demo.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Honestly, beef out the side quests and I think it would pretty much be a perfect spider man game.

I loved both Spider Man and Miles Morales but the side content on Spuder man was just far too rinse and repeat.

The original felt very bare bones and the city very artificial so hopefully it feels more lived in this time. Even just better side quests would be great though and less copy paste stuff.

The combat and traversal was top tier so just build on that and you got a stew going.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Funny how that title isn't what he said at all. He didn't say the game has "astonishing scale", he said it's "massive" (as in a lot of dialog for him to record) and "astonishing" as two different things.

Ansphn

You're setting yourself up for disappointment. No Spiderman game would let you move that fast. Maybe the Flash or a game with Jetpacks or something.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Dope. Just fill it with more interesting things than the first one had. Miles Morales was a start.

Ix4yQc5.gif
They could do a move where Venom punches you and you fly that far, while knocking over cars and shit. Otherwise, that seems a bit too fast to be playable unless you want him on rails like Sonic.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Ix4yQc5.gif
While I also want faster swinging and traversal, this speed is impractical, disorienting, and practically impossible to control for most people. While the technology may be there, you also have to think about design, exploration, and practicalities.

With this speed, imagine how much bigger the map would have to be. Otherwise, you'll explore the entire map in 2 minutes. So maps and worlds will have to be like 5x bigger. Who has the resources to make and fill a map that big with interesting places, side-quests, interactions, etc.?

If they do it, it'll take them 7+ years to make a game and $500 million at least. If they don't, the world will feel empty (see the complaints about Forspoken already that the world seems empty, despite the fact that it's because of lore).

And this is just the dev side. Then there is the inaccessibility of controlling a character that's going this fast. You'll either have to simplify the web swinging significantly (which would practically automate it and take out the fun), or people won't be able to have fun when it's so difficult.

This is one of those things that looks cool as hell on paper, but it's not entirely practical, or even wise to implement.

Having said that, I do expect a 1.5x speed increase than Spider-Man PS4 (maybe tied to a skill tree).

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
To be honest, making the game "bigger" doesn't really sit well with me anymore, given the history of excessive padding we've been seeing in so many open world games. Besides, my interest in Spider Man doesn't exactly revolve around exploration.
If a "larger scope" means having 600 mini-quests of chasing pigeons and locating radar dishes then they're doing it wrong.

I'm playing Horizon Forbidden West nowadays and it feels a bit too padded to me. God of War Ragnarök feels a lot more adequate.

Last edited:

Katajx

Gold Member
To be honest, making the game "bigger" doesn't really sit well with me anymore, given the history of excessive padding we've been seeing in so many open world games. Besides, my interest in Spider Man doesn't exactly revolve around exploration.
If a "larger scope" means having 600 mini-quests of chasing pigeons and locating radar dishes then they're doing it wrong.

I'm playing Horizon Forbidden West nowadays and it feels a bit too padded to me. God of War Ragnarök feels a lot more adequate.

On top of this I think I am really getting some fatigue of traveling around NYC.I would appreciate Spider-Man being able to branch out a little bit and get some different settings even if it is only temporary.

Maybe the Wolverine game will be different in that regard. Growing up playing the Genesis and SNES games along with Shattered Dimensions I miss some variety in my surroundings.

Top Bottom