• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spelunky 2 Review Thread

Raziel

Metacritic (93) - https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/spelunky-2
Metacritic (91) - https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/spelunky-2

Edge - 9/10
If, as Roger Ebert said, movies are a machine that generates empathy, then Spelunky 2, even more so than the original, is a machine for generating surprise. And, inevitably, its close cousin: delight.

Eurogamer - Essential
A legendary game gets a legendary sequel.

Game Informer - 9/10
Spelunky 2 is as addictive an experience as I’ve played this year. Two-minute-long runs stack to turn into consecutive hours of gameplay, and “just one more try” easily turns into an afternoon of exploring, dying, and trying again. Spelunky 2 is at once captivating, stressful, and exciting, and even now, I can’t wait to once again test my mettle within the cave’s ever-shifting walls.

IGN - 10/10
Mossmouth took its time and managed to deliver a masterpiece that improves upon its predecessor in ways I never even would have imagined. Spelunky 2 takes everything that made the original great and expands upon each of those individual aspects without ever over complicating the elegant, retro simplicity of its 2D platforming. It doesn’t do much to win over people who already weren’t fans of the original’s unforgiving difficulty, but as someone who is more than 200 runs in and feels like he’s only scratched the surface, Spelunky 2 is a game that I see myself playing for a long, long time.

Polygon - Recommended
You know when you finish a movie or book or game you love, and you wish you could experience it again for the first time? That’s what it has felt like to play Spelunky 2. I get to play my favorite game for the first time all over again. This isn’t a sequel. It’s yet another chance to play Spelunky with fresh eyes; everything is just a little different, another stroke that proves perfection is imperfect. Even the best can get better.

USgamer - 4.5/5
Spelunky 2 is an outstanding sequel. Derek Yu, BlitWorks, and the rest of the team behind it have assembled a game that adds to what made Spelunky great without trending toward bloat or changing too much of the essentials. In some minor ways, the level randomization and art style don't feel quite up-to-par, but the overall package is polished, compelling, and brimming with secrets. As ever, players will die over and over in pursuit of a successful run or even just an ounce of progress, which is the way it's meant to be. I'm excited to see what others uncover as they pick themselves up again and again to venture deeper into Spelunky 2's depths.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Wait it's out? Whaaaat!?
Who is a good spelunky streamer? I was watching Patrick klepek when spelunky 1 was a thing... That... Aged like milk lol.
LobosJr maybe?

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Polygon: "This isn’t a sequel. It’s yet another chance to play Spelunky with fresh eyes; everything is just a little different"

Isn't this usually seen as a negative?
Right? I'm curious about what this means.

I loved the previous game SOOOOOOO much.

I absolutely HATE that I have to wait until the end of this month to get it on Steam. :(

CitizenX

Banned
Polygon: "This isn’t a sequel. It’s yet another chance to play Spelunky with fresh eyes; everything is just a little different"

Isn't this usually seen as a negative?

If its pix elated or has cartoony graphics, it gets a pass. Everything else is "same old, same old". Spelunky is awesome and dozen of other types are equal.

Top Bottom