• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Speculation] Bungie will once again be involved with the Halo Franchise/co-owners of I.P. with Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

V4skunk

Banned
I think Destiny has good gunplay and the open world maps are amazing, especially the Cosmodrome place.
The dlc has been a disaster! Got burned on dlc for D1 and learned my lesson for D2 of which I only played base game.
Looking forward to Halo Infinite on PC. I hope its good because Halo4+5 were terrible. I liked H5 multiplayer though.

Why? Is there some money riding on it somewhere? Is it triggering the algorithms? People triggered? Waves of salty tears? Panties all twisted? Awwww <3

z6MaD4v.gif
It just might be the panties.

A.Romero

I think the title was supposed to be "I wish Halo went back to Bungie".

If anything like that happened it would be because Microsoft buying Bungie. There is no way Microsoft would be interested in putting their most popular IP on anything else but gamepass.

Neolombax

No, I dont think so. Destiny is at a really good place right now, and they are planning to expand it even further. I don't see them working on Halo, which I personally feel is inferior to current version of Destiny.

Derktron

Banned
Microsoft needs to strike a deal with Bungie and allow Bungie to either make Halo or help 343i make the Halo games.

Bookmark this thread for future reference.

After the handling of the Halo franchise by 343 Studios(mass departures, uncertain direction/future, delays, etc) for Microsoft I have a very strong feeling their have been "discussions" between Bungie and Microsoft to
come back aboard the I.P. that Bungie created: HALO. "Feelers sent out?" "Cross promotion discussions?"

This will either come in the form of buying the I.P. back outright from Microsoft(with agreements in place that MS will still have HALO games for their console/PC platforms day and date with future releases) or a "partial sale/co-ownership of
the I.P" where Bungie will make the Halo series available to other platforms from Sony, Nintendo and Nvidia. My gut instinct is that we'll see a "co-ownership/partnership" between Bungie and Microsoft.

Let's face it, Halo has floundered under 343 along with Microsoft's management of the I.P.

Halo needs fresh, experienced developers along with management to help guide it into the future. What better company to do that then the I.P's creator in Bungie?

P.S. Wouldn't be surprised at all to hear/read about a delay of the single player Halo Infinite Campaign until Summer 2022.

0*iZ2NVUDgRton_Id8

Shout out to @Solarstrike
I agree they seem to be more capable than 343. One thing that stood out to me about your post was saying this though..If they needed something 'fresh' then wouldn't they move to an entirely new team rather than reverting to the old guard lol?....Just thought it was funny, but I hope your post comes true.

Must suck for the people on Bungie who poured their all into creating this universe just to watch whats become of it.
Halo needs fresh, experienced developers along with management to help guide it into the future. What better company to do that then the I.P's creator in Bungie?

Barakov

After the handling of the Halo franchise by 343 Studios(mass departures, uncertain direction/future, delays, etc) for Microsoft I have a very strong feeling their have been "discussions" between Bungie and Microsoft to
come back aboard the I.P. that Bungie created: HALO. "Feelers sent out?" "Cross promotion discussions?"

This will either come in the form of buying the I.P. back outright from Microsoft(with agreements in place that MS will still have HALO games for their console/PC platforms day and date with future releases) or a "partial sale/co-ownership of
the I.P" where Bungie will make the Halo series available to other platforms from Sony, Nintendo and Nvidia. My gut instinct is that we'll see a "co-ownership/partnership" between Bungie and Microsoft.

Let's face it, Halo has floundered under 343 along with Microsoft's management of the I.P.

P.S. Wouldn't be surprised at all to hear/read about a delay of the single player Halo Infinite Campaign until Summer 2022.

0*iZ2NVUDgRton_Id8

I don't think we're quite at that part yet. But right now 343 is on the thinnest part of the ice on a frozen lake. Halo Infinite needs to be firing to hit it out of the park. 343 has much to prove.

hlm666

Ridiculous, MS are not going to sell Halo unless the whole xbox division is going. It would be passed to ID or one of their other studios before they gave up on it. A safer story to spin would have been the next halo game is being made by playground on the fh engine.

God i hope not. They fucking ran Halo into the ground after H3. They just copied the fuck out of Call of Duty for Reach then moved on to that garbage cash grab called Destiny.

Tomeru

Destiny was more mismanaged and a bigger clusterfuck than Cyberpunk in my opinion, and people still gave Bungie a pass, and are still giving them a pass (except when it comes to weapon sunsetting lol)

They keep pulling this where one year they completely suck and then sort of turn around things, and people hail them for being good devs.
Did you just wake up after sleeping for 4 years?

Can't even begin to describe how much of a massive blow Halo going to PlayStation and Nintendo would be to Microsoft's brand image and credibility as a platform holder. It's like SpiderMan coming to Xbox or Mario going to PlayStation. These are THE character IP most strongly associated with their brands and you don't expect them to go to another platform unless the platform holder is, effectively, going third-party.

I'm not particularly against Microsoft getting Bungie back into the series (tho in all honesty, the issue with 343i isn't the actual talent, but the upper management so you'd be replacing a lot of quality graphic artists, programmers, level designers etc. for not much good reason, just to sweep out the upper management who probably do need to be changed/gotten rid of (aside from Staten)), but it's not worth it if it means Halo starts to come day-and-date to Nintendo and Sony consoles, especially if massive IP from those platform holders continue to evade Xbox.

It would immediately destroy a ton of goodwill among a lot of people in the Xbox fanbase and also unquestionably hurt GamePass (since it's mainly Xbox gamers who are fueling its growth at the moment). It's such a short-term "solution" that could end up destroying long-term growth (for example, if it were to happen that immediately re-fuels and intensifies speculation on EVERY major Bethesda/Zenimax game also going multiplat, demolishing any attempts by Microsoft to associate Bethesda/Zenimax with the Xbox brand, weakening their brand power and footprint in terms of cultural mindshare).

Shubh_C63

To OP -How did you came to this conclusion really.

Bungie currently investing huge in making MATTER-MMO with Tencent money, you know that is going to be epic. And then investing big in making movies, TV shows and other entertainment sectors for Destiny IP. The new dlc and their marketing around it does feel like they are trying to reignite the life into Destiny.

And you conclude that they will go on a co-venture with MS for HALO. This decision clashes on every front and I will eat my hat if this become true. No way.

Last edited:

0*iZ2NVUDgRton_Id8

This is the biggest pile of horse shit I've read all day 😅

Calverz

I have a strong feeling that because I just ate a super hot vindaloo, I am likely to have red hot diarrhoea within the next 24 hours. I speculate this will be quite painful but necessary. Please bookmark this for future reference.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Halo Warzone Firefight is better than any multiplayer part of Destiny 2 by quite a margin and even the Flight test for Infinite had a far better and balanced multiplayer.
I wouldn't put it past MS to buy Bungie back though.

DOnt tell people who never played Halo 5 that.
They have to keep spreading the narrative that 343i is an utter shit studio and have never done anything good.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Why? They have Destiny which is more interesting and better in almost every way IMO.

Ah yes, I too love poorly designed loot systems, endless grinds, bullet sponge bosses, half the game people paid for getting deleted, and slowly getting reissued as "new" content.

Quite frankly, Bungie is just as shit as 343i is these days.

S0ULZB0URNE

Halo Warzone Firefight is better than any multiplayer part of Destiny 2 by quite a margin and even the Flight test for Infinite had a far better and balanced multiplayer.
I wouldn't put it past MS to buy Bungie back though.
Says nobody.

Infinite actually plays good for a 343 Halo but it's MP won't be close to as competitive/talked about as Destiny's Trials.

Bonnie Ross needs to be let go. Then Halo will start to come back together. 343 is too focused on having a "woke" and diverse studio instead of having competent people doing the franchise justice.

skneogaf

Microsoft should just buy bungie, allow them to do destiny and whatever else and help 343 with halo stuff.

Seems a win from Microsoft side of things!

Destiny is on game pass too so it's already an xbox game in a way!

Nonsense. Current Bungie put out two inferior shooters, they cant do Halo anymore like ND can't do Jak.

Give it to Arkans or iD. Or both

MaulerX

typing-fast-clipart-7.gif

Estocolmo

Ok, let’s say that Bungie starts making Halo games again but….!

What will happen with 343 studios then? What are MS going to do with this massive game developer?

sainraja

Can't even begin to describe how much of a massive blow Halo going to PlayStation and Nintendo would be to Microsoft's brand image and credibility as a platform holder. It's like SpiderMan coming to Xbox or Mario going to PlayStation. These are THE character IP most strongly associated with their brands and you don't expect them to go to another platform unless the platform holder is, effectively, going third-party.

I'm not particularly against Microsoft getting Bungie back into the series (tho in all honesty, the issue with 343i isn't the actual talent, but the upper management so you'd be replacing a lot of quality graphic artists, programmers, level designers etc. for not much good reason, just to sweep out the upper management who probably do need to be changed/gotten rid of (aside from Staten)), but it's not worth it if it means Halo starts to come day-and-date to Nintendo and Sony consoles, especially if massive IP from those platform holders continue to evade Xbox.

It would immediately destroy a ton of goodwill among a lot of people in the Xbox fanbase and also unquestionably hurt GamePass (since it's mainly Xbox gamers who are fueling its growth at the moment). It's such a short-term "solution" that could end up destroying long-term growth (for example, if it were to happen that immediately re-fuels and intensifies speculation on EVERY major Bethesda/Zenimax game also going multiplat, demolishing any attempts by Microsoft to associate Bethesda/Zenimax with the Xbox brand, weakening their brand power and footprint in terms of cultural mindshare).

Whoops...
spiderbox.jpg

Better example would have been...
uc4.jpg

sainraja

I was thinking of their biggest mascots and SpiderMan's definitely bigger than Nathan Drake, but I see your point xD

Hasn't Destiny been a massive success for them tho?
Spiderman is also definitely bigger than Master Chief and the reason has nothing to do with gaming. Spiderman exists across different mediums. I learned about Spiderman as a character when I did not even know Marvel or DC was a thing (like 25 years ago!) Hell, Playstation/Xbox did not exist then!

PlayStation has a variety of characters that identify it now → Nathan Drake, Joel & Ellie, Kratos, Aloy, Sackboy, Ghost etc. Spiderman is just a bonus due to the nature of how Sony got to keep it exclusive but it's not their character. In the past, Sony was heavily reliant on third-party due to how Nintendo was with third-parties but that's a different story altogether.

Last edited:

ultrazilla

0*iZ2NVUDgRton_Id8

Wrong company but.................. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom